PDA

View Full Version : With DeCastro in tow, Steelers turn to Wallace

LLT
07-24-2012, 05:05 AM
With DeCastro in tow, Steelers turn to Wallace
Monday, July 23, 2012
By Mike Bires
Timesonline.com |

Now that all their drafts picks are signed, the Steelers can concentrate their efforts on Mike Wallace.

The team leader last year in receptions, touchdown catches and receiving yards, Wallace is the only unsigned Steeler. He can’t practice at training camp until he signs.

All Steelers under contract must report to camp at St. Vincent College in Latrobe on Wednesday.

Wallace does have a $2.7 million tender he received months ago as a restricted free agent. But he’s yet to sign that tender because he wants a long-term, multi-million deal what would put him among the NFL’s highest-paid wide receivers.

Read More:http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/with-decastro-in-tow-steelers-turn-to-wallace/article_afd24ad3-dbea-5673-8f3a-56c9dd1ecb1a.html

Count Steeler
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Is he in the Pittsburgh area? I think the deal gets done this week.

Steeldude
07-24-2012, 01:26 PM
I hope they sign him to a one-year tender. He hasn't shown me much more than being able to run straight(which he does well). I have not really seen him fight for a ball in the air. I haven't seen any dives etc... I do see average hands, average fundamentals and his route running a needs work. Wallace is more of a WR who lets the ball come to him rather than attacking it. He needs to learn how to catch with his hands extended above his head.

Before the rah-rah crowd starts crying...I am not saying I do not want him signed. I just feel that a large deal may spell bad news for the Steelers. It's not like the Steelers are hurting at WR. IMO, signing him to a tender is a better way to go. Also, keep in mind the Steelers have a new OC to go along with the new playbook. Can Wallace figure it out? Is a large deal worth the gamble? If I recall correctly, the Steelers cap next year is in bad shape.

slippy
07-24-2012, 02:45 PM
well said, steeldude.

also, ben always underthrows him ...

Count Steeler
07-24-2012, 05:19 PM
I hope they sign him to a one-year tender. He hasn't shown me much more than being able to run straight(which he does well). I have not really seen him fight for a ball in the air. I haven't seen any dives etc... I do see average hands, average fundamentals and his route running a needs work. Wallace is more of a WR who lets the ball come to him rather than attacking it. He needs to learn how to catch with his hands extended above his head.

Before the rah-rah crowd starts crying...I am not saying I do not want him signed. I just feel that a large deal may spell bad news for the Steelers. It's not like the Steelers are hurting at WR. IMO, signing him to a tender is a better way to go. Also, keep in mind the Steelers have a new OC to go along with the new playbook. Can Wallace figure it out? Is a large deal worth the gamble? If I recall correctly, the Steelers cap next year is in bad shape.

I'll give the nod to the FO on this one. Omar is pretty sharp and I trust he already has his next 6-7 moves plotted out for the end of the season. Of course, a lot will depend on the actual cap ceiling set, but I'm sure he has a few scenarios already plotted out.

43Hitman
07-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Well said. I also like Mike Wallace just fine, I'm just a tad apprehensive when it comes to giving him big money. If I had the choice, I'd rather Brown get the contract than Mike. IMO he's a more complete wideout.

SteelGhost
07-24-2012, 07:29 PM

Sad but true.

steelerdude15
07-24-2012, 07:41 PM

Yes, but If I'm correct, the cap goes up next year. I don't think it will be as big of a deal as it was this year.

TMC
07-25-2012, 06:54 AM

I always caution people when listening to reports of "next year's cap" numbers because next year is a long ways away and a ton of things can happen between now and then. We do not even know who gets cut in camp this year. What if two young corners emerge and take the starting roles, relegating Ike to the 3rd corner spot. I doubt they pay him his $9M if that happens. Unlikely, but you never know. What if Harrison's back issue arises again. Doubt you carry him at his cap hit in 2013 with a lingering back issue (kind of like we did with Starks).

Early estimates put the Steelers 2013 cap number between $128-$133M and that is without the signing of Wallace. I would expect him to push it to $135-$140M.

Now, the NFLPA and NFL worked out a deal where they "borrowed" $7M of cap space this season from future years, but I would guess that the loan will get spread out for a couple seasons, maybe detracting @$2M or so from 4 years. That is logical. The new TV deals start in 2014. I continue to hear how the cap will stay flat and only inch its way up over time, but I just do not see how that can happen. Here is why. The old TV deals combined generated $3.085 billion dollars per year. The 2014 TV deals will generate $4.95 billion per year. The difference, or increase in revenue from these deals, will be $1.865 billion dollars PER YEAR. The players get 55% of that number. The players cut is $1.02575 billion dollars. It will be spread over the 32 teams for a per team increase of $32.05 million. Now, even if you take the $2M borrowed, that is $30 million per team. If they want to increase the amount gradually over the 8 year period, sooner or later, you will have to recognize that increase.

I realize that benefits will eat into that number, but if the cap increases by $10M at any point, the Steelers are in a good enough situation to play kick the can for a couple seasons, recognize that $10M to help them out, and by then some of the guys like Taylor, Harrison, and Polamalu will have passed the point of big contracts, retired, or been replaced.

People always harp about paying older players, but the one thing about older players, father time tends to determine when they are done and it is pretty easy to clean the cap up then. Cutting Hines Ward may have hurt the heart, but it won't effect them on the field because age had caught him.

zulater
07-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Sad but true.

So you guys tell me. Who was the last "cap casualty" of the Steelers? Tell me all the good young players the Steelers have lost because of a lack of cap room?

In the first couple years of free agency the Steelers made some huge errors which allowed an in his prime Leon Searcy, and then Chad Brown leave. But since then the guys they want and need to keep they do.

They learned hard lessons early and have pretty much got it down pat since. Yeah they're perpetually up against it with cap room, but so what? Year after year they put a quality product on the field. And they keep the core players that are at or near their peak virtually without fail.

Of course also without fail are fans who think they understand the Steelers business better than the Steelers do hyperventilating about said lack of cap room. :heh:

suitanim
07-25-2012, 07:51 AM
They'll get a deal done...the Steelers are the best in the business at this sort of thing. IMO They'll sign him to a 5-6 year deal without radically overpaying. And they are definitely motivated. Rooney wasn't mincing words when asked about Wallace missing camp. He said: "He should be here".

TMC
07-25-2012, 08:36 AM
So you guys tell me. Who was the last "cap casualty" of the Steelers? Tell me all the good young players the Steelers have lost because of a lack of cap room?

Well, Hines Ward was a cap casualty. They have cut some guys for cap reasons, but that happens everywhere. Not a big deal. If I had to choose the guy they decided not to keep at his asking price, it would be Chris Hope. He left here and made the Pro Bowl in Tennessee.

suitanim
07-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Well, Hines Ward was a cap casualty. They have cut some guys for cap reasons, but that happens everywhere. Not a big deal. If I had to choose the guy they decided not to keep at his asking price, it would be Chris Hope. He left here and made the Pro Bowl in Tennessee.

Sidebar about Hope....the year he left, my fantasy autodraft had a very quirky pre-ranking system. It actually had Chris Hope as the top rated IDP player in the whole draft. He was a "splash play" maker for sure...

But the Steelers are usually right about these things. Along with their prescient knack for dumping guys right before they sustain career-ending injuries...

zulater
07-25-2012, 12:45 PM

I honestly don't think they wanted any part of Ward even if he'd have played at veteran minimum. He was done as a player. His blocking wasn't even that great last season.

Hope was one though that I wouldn't have minded see stay around for another few seasons. Good example. :applaudit: Though losing one (then) above average starter in the past, what like 10 years, I think that proves out my point. The Steelers know how to manage their cap just fine.

Steeldude
07-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Of course also without fail are fans who think they understand the Steelers business better than the Steelers do hyperventilating about said lack of cap room. :heh:

Because the Steeler organization always makes the right choices and the fans are always wrong :rolleyes: Heaven forbid Steelers' fans discuss the salary cap. Before you know it people will think this is a place for fans to chat about the Steelers :wink02:

43Hitman
07-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Because the Steeler organization always makes the right choices and the fans are always wrong :rolleyes: Heaven forbid Steelers' fans discuss the salary cap. Before you know it people will think this is a place for fans to chat about the Steelers :wink02:

As if the presumption of innocence thread isn't hyperventilating.

zulater
07-25-2012, 02:03 PM

Sometimes I think you'd rather have the Steelers go 5-11 every season to validate how much more you know than them. :chuckle:

suitanim
07-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Sometimes I think you'd rather have the Steelers go 5-11 every season to validate how much more you know than them. :chuckle:

5-11? With that dude in charge, 0-16 every year and kicked out of the NFL for losing 100-0 every week. I honestly have no idea why anyone even reads what he types.

SteelGhost
07-25-2012, 07:53 PM

In the first couple years of free agency the Steelers made some huge errors which allowed an in his prime Leon Searcy, and then Chad Brown leave. But since then the guys they want and need to keep they do.

They learned hard lessons early and have pretty much got it down pat since. Yeah they're perpetually up against it with cap room, but so what? Year after year they put a quality product on the field. And they keep the core players that are at or near their peak virtually without fail.

You are right Zu I'm just a little nervous about locking Antonio Brown long term next offseason :noidea:

Steeldude
07-26-2012, 06:24 AM
It just wouldn't be a thread on Steelers Universe without Suitanim trolling. I still can't believe he wanted Kordell to remain the starting QB...lol.

Didn't Suitanim say he was done here because he was temporarily banned for trolling?

Steeldude
07-26-2012, 06:28 AM

Ah yes, another "You are so negative" post. I'll file that with the "Every Steeler player is great and the FO is never wrong" posts.

So what do you wish people to discuss on here? It's clearly not the Steelers.

X-Terminator
07-26-2012, 06:55 AM
Ah yes, another "You are so negative" post. I'll file that with the "Every Steeler player is great and the FO is never wrong" posts.

Well, that's because you are. Which is fine...sports isn't all about sunshine and roses.

Steeldude
07-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Well, that's because you are.

That would be your opinion, not fact. So when I said I was happy they drafted DeCastro I was being negative? : )

zulater
07-26-2012, 04:51 PM
That would be your opinion, not fact. So when I said I was happy they drafted DeCastro I was being negative? : )

That opinion is more than XT's and my opinion alone. :lol:

Seriously Dude. I just hope the Steelers "screw up" and sign Wallace to a long term contract that bothers you as much as the one they signed Woodley to, and he then goes out and plays at as high as level as Woodley was last season before he got injured.

X-Terminator
07-26-2012, 05:15 PM

Blind squirrel...nut...

As zulater said, that "opinion" isn't just mine. You actually remind me of Archie Bunker without the bigotry. It may or may not be the case, but that's the perception you have here.

GBMelBlount
07-26-2012, 05:31 PM
I thought Steeldude WAS Archie Bunker. LOL.

I guess I have always just figured Steeldude focuses on the problems he sees because he wants the Steelers to be better.

He IS one of the most blunt and opinionated people I can think of on this board but at least I ALWAYS know where he stands and he doesn't mince words.

I guess I've just never minded because we have all been posting together for so long.

zulater
07-26-2012, 05:45 PM

I guess I have always just figured Steeldude focuses on the problems he sees because he wants the Steelers to be better.

He IS one of the most blunt and opinionated people I can think of on this board but at least I ALWAYS know where he stands and he doesn't mince words.

I guess I've just never minded because we have all been posting together for so long.

I never said I minded his posts. I'm just commenting on them, same as he does the Steelers. :lol:

suitanim
07-27-2012, 10:27 AM

While Archie Bunker WAS a grizzled old curmudgeon, the difference lies in the fact that he also possessed at least a tiny bit of knowledge about the subjects on which he, um, editorialized.

Steeldude
07-27-2012, 02:25 PM
While Archie Bunker WAS a grizzled old curmudgeon, the difference lies in the fact that he also possessed at least a tiny bit of knowledge about the subjects on which he, um, editorialized.

Ah, more trolling by Suitanim :chuckle: As usual, since it's Suitanim it's allowed. Gotta love those double-standards

Steeldude
07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Blind squirrel...nut...

As zulater said, that "opinion" isn't just mine. You actually remind me of Archie Bunker without the bigotry. It may or may not be the case, but that's the perception you have here.

Wouldn't that make you guys Gloria :wink02:

Count Steeler
07-27-2012, 03:55 PM
This thread is closed. Obviously nobody wants to talk about the subject anymore.

Let's cut out the personal shots, gentlemen. This is not the Beat Down forum.