PDA

View Full Version : David DeCastro signs

polamalubeast
07-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Another one down: Steelers have signed David DeCastro.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/227456809307340800

43Hitman
07-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Good. Now lets get Mikey all signed up.

st33lersguy
07-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Excellent news!

7willBheaven
07-23-2012, 01:30 PM
I knew it would be very soon since #23 signed earlier today.

86WARD
07-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Niceness!!

Count Steeler
07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
All ducks almost in a row. Wallace by Friday (I hope).

Galax Steeler
07-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Steelers agreed to terms with No. 24 overall pick RG David DeCastro on a four-year contract.
The Steelers valued DeCastro highly enough in April's draft that they considered trading up from No. 24 to ensure landing him. A three-year starter for Andrew Luck's Stanford Cardinal, DeCastro will immediately step in as the Steelers' starting right guard. In just one offseason, Pittsburgh has put together one of the league's top young offensive lines based on sheer talent. DeCastro and Willie Colon are the guards, with Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams protecting the perimeter and Maurkice Pouncey at center.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/236085/steelers-get-first-rounder-rg-decastro-signed

Chidi29
07-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Very happy.

steelerdude15
07-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Great, all we need is Mikey now.

Count Steeler
07-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Any news on the size of the contract?

Austin87
07-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Good stuff.

polamalubeast
07-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported DeCastro received a four-year deal with a fifth-year option. The Stanford tackle, selected No. 24 overall in the 2012 NFL Draft, missed the Steelers' OTAs because of the university's "quarter" system.

DeCastro immediately should step into the lineup for a Steelers team that has taken strides to shed age from its starting lineup. He likely steps in for Doug Legursky at starting left guard.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ac03db/article/david-decastro-signs-pittsburgh-steelers-rookie-deal

The guard from Stanford will get a four-year deal worth $7.814 million

, per the slotted system that makes these deals so much easier to reach than they used to be.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/steelers-get-their-deal-done-with-david-decastro/

Chidi29
07-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Curious how much of the 4th year is guaranteed.

Count Steeler
07-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Curious how much of the 4th year is guaranteed.

Little more than I had hoped for. Takes almost all the cap space made with the Scott release.

If Wallace signs it would have to be in signing bonuses and a lower per year salary.

GBMelBlount
07-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Little more than I had hoped for. Takes almost all the cap space made with the Scott release.

If Wallace signs it would have to be in signing bonuses and a lower per year salary.

Any other possible cuts for significant cap saving? There is one I have wondered about....

polamalubeast
07-23-2012, 06:38 PM
The cap space is not a problem for the contract to Wallace

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07/new-deal-with-mike-wallace-can-be-both-cap-friendly-and-lucrative/

SteelerFanInStl
07-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Woo Hoo! That's good news. I STILL can't believe we got him with the 24th pick.

Chidi29
07-23-2012, 06:46 PM
The cap space is not a problem for the contract to Wallace

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07/new-deal-with-mike-wallace-can-be-both-cap-friendly-and-lucrative/

The issue here is that Wallace is going to get more than Rice. 5/65 would be my expectation. I'm assuming he's going to ask for more than Vincent Jackson. Pierre Garcon got 42 million so Wallace will be well above a Ray Rice, 40 million deal.

But I agree with the overall sentiment. A mixture of a smaller signing bonus and multiple option/roster bonuses with likely everything in the first two years to be guaranteed.

polamalubeast
07-23-2012, 07:02 PM
The issue here is that Wallace is going to get more than Rice. 5/65 would be my expectation. I'm assuming he's going to ask for more than Vincent Jackson. Pierre Garcon got 42 million so Wallace will be well above a Ray Rice, 40 million deal.

But I agree with the overall sentiment. A mixture of a smaller signing bonus and multiple option/roster bonuses with likely everything in the first two years to be guaranteed.

In the latest news, Wallace's contract is likely to be 5 years to 50 million

But we'll see

Steeldude
07-23-2012, 07:23 PM
I hope they low-ball Wallace as much as they can. Wallace isn't worth more than $3 million a year. He completely disappeared toward the end of the season. I wouldn't want to invest a large sum of money in someone that looks to be a one-trick pony.

GBMelBlount
07-23-2012, 07:30 PM
I hope they low-ball Wallace as much as they can. Wallace isn't worth more than $3 million a year. He completely disappeared toward the end of the season. I wouldn't want to invest a large sum of money in someone that looks to be a one-trick pony.

I am going to agree here on not over committing.

Wallace was absent the second half of the year and that has to be a concern.

Also, if Brown continues to improve and Sanders reaches his potential we could have 3 top tier receivers by the end of this year....and not enough money for all of them.

polamalubeast
07-23-2012, 07:35 PM

ridiculous....the worst comment of the year

He has too much overreaction to Wallace, especially since Roethlisberger was injured at the end of the season

Also, it happens to every player to have themoments where you're less good....In 2006, Roethlisberger was worse ...

Fortunately, they were not drafted Brady Quinn in 2007 .......

polamalubeast
07-23-2012, 07:44 PM
many have a short memory...From 2010 until mid-season in 2011, Wallace was easily a top 5 WR in the nfl

Too much over reaction on the 2nd half of season Wallace .... In 2006 it was 100 times worse with Roethlisberger

zulater
07-23-2012, 07:49 PM

Wallace's "disappearance" largely coincided with Ben's high ankle sprain as I remember it. Coincidence? Hardly.

GBMelBlount
07-23-2012, 07:59 PM
polamalubeast

He has too much overreaction to Wallace, especially since Roethlisberger was injured at the end of the season

Also, it happens to every player to have themoments where you're less good....In 2006, Roethlisberger was worse ...

Wow. Since you brought up the topic of terrible comments...

WHO has even once mentioned drafting a replacement for Wallace.

I think the more relevant point (here in the middle of the decastro thread :chuckle:) is what Wallace is worth.

While I think he is worth A LOT more than 3 million a year I do wonder what will happen if we pay him $10 million a year and then Sanders performs like he is capable of....

Then we have 3 elite receivers and may possibly only be able to keep two....I know, such is life...I guess I will just have to trust he FO on this one.

.....and the point made about Ben being gimped is a very good one. It was frustrating as hell to see him missing down field so much.

polamalubeast
07-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Wow. Since you brought up the topic of stupid comments...

WHO has even once mentioned drafting a replacement for Wallace.

I think the more relevant point (here in the middle of the decastro thread :chuckle:) is what Wallace is worth.

While I think he is worth a lot more than 3 million a year I do wonder what will happen if we pay him $10 million a year and then Sanders performs like he is capable of....

Then we have 3 elite receivers and may possibly only be able to keep two....

if we compare to other WR, Wallace easily worth 10 million per year....2 seasons of more than 1200 yards and an average of 19 yards per catch!

And I know that nobody said of drafted a another WR!

Steeldude
07-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Wallace's "disappearance" largely coincided with Ben's high ankle sprain as I remember it. Coincidence? Hardly.

We will see. When did BR injure his ankle? Seems to me Wallace disappeared around Week 10 or so

GBMelBlount
07-23-2012, 08:16 PM
if we compare to other WR, Wallace easily worth 10 million per year....2 seasons of more than 1200 yards and an average of 19 yards per catch!

And I know that nobody said of drafted a another WR!

I understand your point and I guess we'll see....and sorry about the "stupid" comment...I edited it AFTER you responded apparently. :grin:

Steeldude
07-23-2012, 08:19 PM

Overreaction would be being blinded by Wallace running straight routes and then claiming he is a top 5 WR. You seem to think he is Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson.

So you want to drop $10 mil a season in a WR who appears to be a one-trick pony? Remember the salary cap and the future salary caps to come?

Why do I have the feeling you are one of the people who thought Burress and/or Holmes were WRs the Steelers couldn't live without?

polamalubeast
07-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Overreaction would be being blinded by Wallace running straight routes and then claiming he is a top 5 WR. You seem to think he is Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson.

So you want to drop $10 mil a season in a WR who appears to be a one-trick pony? Remember the salary cap and the future salary caps to come?

Why do I have the feeling you are one of the people who thought Burress and/or Holmes were WRs the Steelers couldn't live without?

not say things that I never say.....I always say that Wallace is not Fitzgerald and Johnson

Wallace is a top 10 WR and the top 10 WR worth 10 millions per year right now in the nfl

And yes I was upset when the Steelers traded Holmes in 2010, but fortunately Antonio Brown has replaced him!

Steeldude
07-23-2012, 08:31 PM
not say things that I never say.....I always say that Wallace is not Fitzgerald and Johnson

Wallace is a top 10 WR and the top 10 WR worth 10 millions per year right now in the nfl

And yes I was upset when the Steelers traded Holmes in 2010, but fortunately Antonio Brown has replaced him!

A top WR based on stats or skill?

I for one was happy when Holmes left. He was overrated and not worth the money he wanted.

polamalubeast
07-23-2012, 08:36 PM
A top WR based on stats or skill?

I for one was happy when Holmes left. He was overrated and not worth the money he wanted.

Wallace is one of the best to make big play in the nfl

For Holmes, I think that he was very underrated with the steelers .... Great clutch player

Holmes has made ​​a big play in each game in 2008 playoffs and Holmes was a ravens killer (8 TD in 7 games in 2007 to 2009)

Nadroj 20
07-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Sign him in at 7-8 mill a year and I'll be happy. If they give him more like 10 I'm not gonna complain because I believe he is very good and has earned a good pay day.

Now back to the topic of the thread I am very excited to see what DeCastro can do! Not much longer and we shall see him in action!

SteelGhost
07-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Great news ! Kudos to the FO and David :applaudit:

polamalubeast
07-24-2012, 05:31 PM
David DeCastro $7.813 million deal $4.122 million bonus guaranteed salaries $390,000 $754,177, $1.1 million non guaranteed '15 $1.03 million

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/227893016025780224

Chidi29
07-24-2012, 05:34 PM
David DeCastro $7.813 million deal $4.122 million bonus guaranteed salaries $390,000 $754,177, $1.1 million non guaranteed '15 $1.03 million

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/227893016025780224

So DeCastro will count for 1.42 million against the cap this year.

Psycho Ward 86
07-25-2012, 11:28 PM

lol ok, i have a strong tendency to agree with your mostly brutally honest, yet pretty accurate analysis of things on these boards but thats just stupidity considering giving him money fit for less than average receivers. He's still fairly competent in the short and intermediate passing game. His acceleration after securing the ball on shorter routes has gotten a lot better, and in the screen game i gotta say he looked like arguably our best receiver.