PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Smith retires at age 28

polamalubeast
07-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Steelers 2006 third-round pick Anthony Smith looked to be emerging as Pittsburgh’s free safety of the future when he made 14 starts his first two seasons, collecting 97 tackles and intercepting four passes during that span. But Smith’s career took a nosedive after he unsuccessfully guaranteed a December 2007 win over the New England Patriots.

The Patriots torched the Steelers’ secondary in a 34-13 win, as quarterback Tom Brady passed for four touchdowns and 399 yards. And Smith’s career never recovered.

Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Saturday that Anthony Smith is now retiring from football, after bouncing between five teams the past four years. Smith’s career ends after six seasons and 76 games played, with 19 starts.

Smith was once a promising NFL safety who appeared destined to become Troy Polamalu’s long-term running mate in the back end of Pittsburgh’s vaunted defense. Unfortunately, the majority of those who remember Smith’s career will think of his failed guarantee and subsequent torching by Brady.

And it’s fair to wonder whether, had Smith bit his tongue, things might have worked out for him much differently.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/21/anthony-smith-retires-at-age-28/

fansince'76
07-21-2012, 11:29 AM
And it’s fair to wonder whether, had Smith bit his tongue, things might have worked out for him much differently.

No, it's not, because that really had nothing to do with anything. He was simply a dipshit who never "got it." The showboating on the INT return (which even LeBeau chewed his ass out for), absolutely pasting Hines Ward in a half-speed training camp practice and committing stupid penalties at the worst times when he was on the field. Not to mention that he wasn't all that good of a safety to begin with.

GBMelBlount
07-21-2012, 11:36 AM
No, it's not, because that really had nothing to do with anything. He was simply a dipshit who never "got it." The showboating on the INT return (which even LeBeau chewed his ass out for), absolutely pasting Hines Ward in a half-speed training camp practice and committing stupid penalties at the worst times when he was on the field. Not to mention that he wasn't all that good of a safety to begin with.

Exactly.

His guarantee was simply the last nail in the coffin if anything.

Edman
07-21-2012, 11:39 AM
The guy was a good athlete. Just not a good NFL athlete and was pretty dumb to boot. That Patriots game in 2007 sealed his fate. He wasn't worth anything.

st33lersguy
07-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Smith was only starting in that game in '07 because Ryan Clark was on IR for over half the season. Clark would have still been the starter in '08 regardless of whether or not Smith makes his stupid guarantee.
By the way, where else did Smith play?

polamalubeast
07-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Smith was only starting in that game in '07 because Ryan Clark was on IR for over half the season. Clark would have still been the starter in '08 regardless of whether or not Smith makes his stupid guarantee.
By the way, where else did Smith play?

Polamalu also not play in the game against the patriots...Against the patriots, two of the TD of the patriots were the fault of Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTXH5ZNDwg

and yes he took a lot of stupid penalties on the ST

polamalubeast
07-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Smith is very fortunate to have two super bowl rings(He was with the Packers in 2010 too)

Butch
07-21-2012, 01:48 PM
While I completely agree with all the sentiments here I have to say that I will always remember the HIT he put on Doushmansada. Back in the days when you could still hit a player!!!

Devilsdancefloor
07-21-2012, 05:18 PM
few years ago he was playing for the faguirs and they where playing the colts manning made him look like a fool and that is the last time i heard of him playing i guess he played someowhere last year :noidea: but he had all the tools, but none between his ears

Craic
07-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Sigh . . . he didn't guarantee a win as it is reported.

"Yeah, we're going to win as long as we come out and do what we are supposed to do. You know, they've got an explosive offense. So, if we don't give them any big plays and you know, eliminate the dumb mistakes, I think we will win the game."

Sure sounds like a guarantee to me. [sarcasm]

Sad though, a lot of talent and ability, but he was a knucklehead.

Steeldude
07-21-2012, 08:24 PM

^ This

stillers4me
07-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Sigh . . . he didn't guarantee a win as it is reported.

"Yeah, we're going to win as long as we come out and do what we are supposed to do. You know, they've got an explosive offense. So, if we don't give them any big plays and you know, eliminate the dumb mistakes, I think we will win the game."

Sure sounds like a guarantee to me. [sarcasm]

Sad though, a lot of talent and ability, but he was a knucklehead.

^And this ^

I hate the media.

steeldawg
07-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Hall of Famer?????

steelreserve
07-21-2012, 10:45 PM
I remember always being impressed with his raw ability, which was ALMOST good enough for him to fake it. But unfortunately, it wasn't, and he never did anything with it. The hotdogging didn't help either.

Craic
07-22-2012, 03:54 AM
I remember always being impressed with his raw ability, which was ALMOST good enough for him to fake it. But unfortunately, it wasn't, and he never did anything with it. The hotdogging didn't help either.

I still remember him getting a talking to by Lebeau for it after he intercepted a pass too. I don't think I've ever seen Lebeau that fired up.

Galax Steeler
07-22-2012, 08:02 AM
I thought this kid was going to pan out for us but he could never get his head screwed on right.

BigNastyDefense
07-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Million dollar talent with a ten cent head, as HTG would say.

vader29
07-22-2012, 09:06 AM
So will he re-sign and retire as a Steeler?

tube517
07-22-2012, 12:13 PM
I still remember him getting a talking to by Lebeau for it after he intercepted a pass too. I don't think I've ever seen Lebeau that fired up.

I remember LeBeau getting mad at Troy too. Those are the only 2 instances I have seen him really pissed

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk 2