PDA

View Full Version : Update: Steelers Suspend Negotiations with Wallace Due to Training Camp Absence

polamalubeast
07-19-2012, 03:29 PM
The time to sign players tendered a franchise tag has come and gone, but the pink elephant that is Mike Wallace still remains in the Steelers living room, with Wallace potentially holding out of camp, unhappy with his $2.72 million tender.

CBSSports.com's NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports Thursday that the parties are in "close contact" and that the two sides continue to make progress on a new deal.

"The sides have remained in close contact and continued their dialogue and are expected to maintain a steady pace with the start of training camp looming," La Canfora reports. "There has been some movement and though no deal is imminent and work remains to be done, the situation has certainly improved since early this offseason. Both sides are motivated to complete a long-term contract."

La Canfora also pointed out that the Steelers aren't shy about locking up their young talent. CBSSports.com's Ryan Wilson broke this down as well earlier, pointing out that LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons and Troy Polamalu all got long-term deals after training camp began.

So there's certainly reason for optimism if you're a Steelers fan that the team will be able to get Wallace locked down before the season begins.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19615831/lacanfora-steelers-mike-wallace-continue-to-make-progress-on-new-deal

fansince'76
07-19-2012, 04:27 PM
A little over a month and a half until the regular season starts, and the Steelers end all contract negotations. Plenty of time yet.

steelerdude15
07-19-2012, 07:16 PM
A little over a month and a half until the regular season starts, and the Steelers end all contract negotations. Plenty of time yet.

True that, no need to panic whatsoever.

polamalubeast
07-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Top #Steelers officials under belief that WR Mike Wallace intends to report for start of camp

while the steelers and Mike Wallace are as much as $5 to 7 millions in guaranteed money on a long-term contract,........

read more

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/nfl-top-steelers-officials-under-belief-that-mike-wallace-intends-to-report-for-start-of-training-camp/51017/

86WARD
07-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Spend that Scott Money!!!

86WARD
07-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Wexell reported that Wallace signed a 5-Year deal for $42M and then later retracted it...http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/images/smilies/eusa_think.gif

fansince'76
07-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Wexell reported that Wallace signed a 5-Year deal for $42M and then later retracted it...http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/images/smilies/eusa_think.gif

I'll file this with the nonexistent draft day trade (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/16/jim-wexell-still-has-some-explaining-to-do/)with the Redskins story and the rumor that Rooney wanted Arians gone in 2009...

Count Steeler
07-24-2012, 05:08 PM

Hope that means they are just ironing out some details. That would be about the right amount of money.

polamalubeast
07-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Wexell reported that Wallace signed a 5-Year deal for $42M and then later retracted it...

it was not true and I hate so much the false reports

TMC
07-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Saunders tweeted congrats to Wallace, then later tweeted that he was mistaken and forget the earlier tweet. Look for a deal any day now.

steelerdude15
07-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Saunders tweeted congrats to Wallace, then later tweeted that he was mistaken and forget the earlier tweet. Look for a deal any day now.

Saw that too, I bet its nearly done or already is.

86WARD
07-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Hope that means they are just ironing out some details. That would be about the right amount of money.

Exactly what I am hoping...that the deal is close...

X-Terminator
07-24-2012, 09:06 PM
I'll file this with the nonexistent draft day trade (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/16/jim-wexell-still-has-some-explaining-to-do/)with the Redskins story and the rumor that Rooney wanted Arians gone in 2009...

Jim Wexell having credibility problems again? That just couldn't be...I mean, he writes for Steelers Digest! Surely he can't be wrong! :coffee:

zulater
07-24-2012, 09:18 PM

Much like the "rumor" of 2009, I predict this one will eventually flesh out too. One side or the other probably thought it was all but a done deal, then they hit a little snag in the language that will delay the process a day or two.

zulater
07-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Jim Wexell having credibility problems again? That just couldn't be...I mean, he writes for Steelers Digest! Surely he can't be wrong! :coffee:

Didn't you guys interview Wexall once for this site?

polamalubeast
07-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Saunders did not know that it was a false report when he wrote it.......And sometimes I hate twitter!

polamalubeast
07-24-2012, 09:35 PM
There are nothing new on the situation of Wallace right now

X-Terminator
07-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Didn't you guys interview Wexall once for this site?

No, we never have. And even if we did, that doesn't mean he would be immune from criticism.

polamalubeast
07-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Steelers Depot: Mike Wallace Not Expected To Report Later Today For Training Camp

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07/mike-wallace-not-expected-to-report-later-today-for-training-camp/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

That the drama begins

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg

zulater
07-25-2012, 12:57 PM
No, we never have. And even if we did, that doesn't mean he would be immune from criticism.

It's fair to criticize anyone. I just wouldn't be so dismissive of his writing overall based on a couple swings and misses.

polamalubeast
07-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Looks like mike Wallace isn't going to show. According to Emmanuel Sanders he is expecting him to show in "3 or 4" days.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/228186953785413632

polamalubeast
07-25-2012, 02:04 PM
There is renewed hope in Pittsburgh that the Steelers and Mike Wallace will be able to come to terms on a new contract extension.

There were suggestions this week that a deal was reached, which proved false. Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, however, is hearing that a deal is getting close. This is not a surprise. Deadlines make deals, and the Steelers want Wallace on the field as they report to training camp.

Wallace, alas, is not expected to report to the team Wednesday according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Teammate Emmanuel Sanders, already in camp, says he doesn't expect Wallace for 3-4 more days. Bouchette mentions that Sanders will take Wallace's position on the field to start camp. He heard on Tuesday from the Steelers that a deal was not close. Sanders heard differently.

"I hear things...a couple rumors, that things are starting to get closer to signing," Sanders said Wednesday via Kaboly.

At this point, we'd be surprised if Wallace doesn't get a big new contract. It just may take a few missed days of training camp from an unsigned player to get there.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82acd11c/article/mike-wallace-not-expected-at-steelers-camp-wednesday?campaign=Twitter_atl_rosenthal

fansince'76
07-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Not so fast...

Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Wallace took another stand when he did not report to training camp on time, and now apparently the Steelers will take one of their own as the contract impasse between the two sides takes a new turn.

The Steelers will suspend negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace signs his one-year tender and reports to the team, a club source said. As a restricted free agent, Wallace was offered a one-year contract worth $2.472 million last March but he remains the only RFA in the NFL who has not signed.

Read more: Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallace-a-no-show-steelers-suspend-negotiations-646152/)

polamalubeast
07-25-2012, 03:48 PM
The drama is only beginning.... :doh:

Craic
07-25-2012, 04:11 PM
The silver lining here, is that Sanders, who looked to be better than Antonio Brown his first year before he got injured, will get to run with the first team in Wallace's spot. That'll do nothing but help the kid get back on track.

fansince'76
07-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Well, the Steelers made a good faith move in not reducing the tender amount last month when they could have. Time for Wallace to meet them halfway, sign the tender, and get his butt into camp.

XxKnightxX
07-25-2012, 04:16 PM
is it just me or Am I the only one who really doesnt give a shit about Wallace at this point? Im fine with the 4 that we got.

polamalubeast
07-25-2012, 04:22 PM
The Steelers will win without Wallace, but the Steelers are better with Wallace

Right now, Wallace is not smart and Tomlin seems very disappointed right now

GBMelBlount
07-25-2012, 04:31 PM
The silver lining here, is that Sanders, who looked to be better than Antonio Brown his first year before he got injured, will get to run with the first team in Wallace's spot. That'll do nothing but help the kid get back on track.

Exactly....and imagine if they don't get an agreement signed and sanders hit's his stride....with three top tier recivers and possibly more emphasis on short routes is it possible Wallace could end up with under 1,000 yards receiving?....I wonder if this is why he wants his money NOW.

Austin87
07-25-2012, 04:52 PM
The Steelers will win without Wallace, but the Steelers are better with Wallace

Right now, Wallace is not smart and Tomlin seems very disappointed right now

QFT

BigNastyDefense
07-25-2012, 05:00 PM
This is what the Steelers do. They don't negotiate with players not in camp, except for rookies. When Hines Ward held about 6 years ago, they refused to negotiate a contract extension with him until he reported.

Mike Wallace has few choices:

Show up to camp and work out this long-term contract.

Sign the tender, work on a long-term contract, and worst-case become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Sit out, get stuck as a restricted free agent again, and go through this entire ordeal again.

But the only team that he can possibly play for this season is the Pittsburgh Steelers unless they choose to trade his rights to another team.

polamalubeast
07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Steelers ready to play hardball with Wallace

Remember when I said that the Steelers weren't going to play hardball with wide receiver Mike Wallace? Turns out that is no longer the case.

The Steelers will stop negotiations on a long-term deal until Wallace signs his $2.7 million restricted free-agent tender and reports to training camp, a team source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

This is really the team's only resort to get Wallace to training camp. The Steelers can't fine him because he hasn't signed his tender and officially isn't under contract.

As the Post-Gazette points out, this is a tactic that the Steelers have used before. Pittsburgh halted contract talks with wide receiver Hines Ward in 2005 when he missed the first two weeks of camp.

Steelers president Art Rooney II declined comment on the situation Wednesday, and coach Mike Tomlin said he hasn't spoken to Wallace in about two weeks.

There's still reason to believe the sides will work out a deal before the regular season begins. It just seems now that Wallace will have to show up to get it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/51277/steelers-ready-to-play-hardball-with-wallace?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Devilsdancefloor
07-25-2012, 06:27 PM
wally is gonna pull a merriweather pro bowl to POOOOF. C'mon mike

steeldawg
07-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Cmon both sides lets get Mike to camp we need him.

ALLD
07-25-2012, 06:42 PM
I have never seen somebody so upset turning down almost $3million just to start.

SteelerEmpire
07-25-2012, 06:47 PM
If he waits too long he won't be in many plays early in the season because the other WR's will be much more familiar with the playbook.

steelreserve
07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Remember when I said he had no leverage and wasn't even accomplishing anything by holding out now because he already made his point?

Yeah, that.

86WARD
07-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Meh...I've been saying that I think he holds out a couple/few days to make a point and then reports and a deal gets done...I think that still happens.

SteelerFanInStl
07-25-2012, 08:04 PM
He's only hurting himself by holding out. I've gotten to the point that I don't really give a crap what he does now. The Steelers will still win without him.

steeldevil
07-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Go Sanders lol

The Duke
07-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Hope Clemons and Rainey impress and we don't need Wallace

Animal Mother
07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Let's say just for argument sake, that Wallace is really mad and decides he's not going to camp and he's going to hold out for the season. Well, first off, he needs to show up by Week 8 or he'll have to do the whole thing over again anyway. Second, as soon as he sees that this TEAM is more than capable of moving on without him, and that Sanders and Brown are getting all the love and affection from the TEAM, then he will realize he made a stupid mistake. I hope he realizes that sooner rather than later.

PalmerSteel
07-26-2012, 11:38 AM
he's just amping up the publicity on his situation for a couple days to get his point across, in his mind. he will be in there next week. wallace isnt that dumb.

whodat1
07-26-2012, 01:02 PM
It makes me wonder if this is MW's decision, or is it his agent who is hoping for the big payday?

steel striker
07-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Wallace is just hurting himself by not coming to camp but, hey his choice. I hope the FO can get him signed to a deal but, like mentioned by many others steelers can win without him. It would be nice to have Wallace in camp to learn the new offense.

86WARD
07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Typical Steelers move...nothing new.

SMR
07-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Let's say just for argument sake, that Wallace is really mad and decides he's not going to camp and he's going to hold out for the season. Well, first off, he needs to show up by Week 8 or he'll have to do the whole thing over again anyway. Second, as soon as he sees that this TEAM is more than capable of moving on without him, and that Sanders and Brown are getting all the love and affection from the TEAM, then he will realize he made a stupid mistake. I hope he realizes that sooner rather than later.

Bingo!