PDA

View Full Version : DeCastro, Adams will have hands full

LLT
07-19-2012, 04:36 AM
DeCastro, Adams will have hands full
Tribune-Review
Alan Robinson
Thursday, July 19, 2012, 12:01 a.m.

Doesn’t matter where a player is drafted, how much money he earns, how many All-American teams he made or how many college games he dominated. There’s nothing easy about being an NFL rookie offensive lineman.

“There’s no comfort level, none at all,” said Alan Faneca, the most accomplished offensive guard to play for the Steelers and a player who well remembers what a challenge his rookie season was in 1998. “You’ve been thrown a playbook that’s two or three times bigger than it was in college. You’re going out on the field thinking, not playing.”

You’re lost.

Even the best players struggle with terminology, the playbook’s complexity, the significantly upgraded competition, Faneca said. The same lineman who spent a couple of seasons roughing up college undergraduates becomes overwhelmed going up against defensive linemen with 10 years of experience and a commensurately deep bag of tricks.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/2221076-85/decastro-adams-linemen-offensive-rookie-steelers-faneca-college-lineman-season

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Its always going to be a struggle and that is why so few rookies actually start in the NFL. I just hope that the mistakes are made when Ben can see them and avoid any serious hits in the passing game. Best thing for fans to do is accept that bad plays will happen and chalk them up as learning experiences.............like when Gilbert leg whipped the Seahawks d linemen into Ben's knees last year.

Pristas
07-19-2012, 08:01 AM
my guess is that DeCastro will start and Adams will get the benefit of learning while getting inserted periodically around Starks. That left side is way too important, and Starks has proven himself to be a decent LT in this league. He's not the best, but he certainly isn't the worst. He saved our season last year.

Michael
07-19-2012, 08:45 AM
No question it will be challanging but Pouncey had a pro bowl rookie year. I like letting these young guys know much is expected of them. I personally belive we are going to be very pleased with our offense overall and in particular our offensive line. They may start out a bit slow but they always have gotten better as the season progresses. DeCastro is going to be a solid rookie and Adam's wanted to be a Steeler real bad and he was given a chance and he better respond and he knows it. I love having Starks back for many reasons. I think the Steelers did a great job this off season.

GBMelBlount
07-19-2012, 09:46 AM
DeCastro is going to be a solid rookie and Adam's wanted to be a Steeler real bad and he was given a chance and he better respond and he knows it. I love having Starks back for many reasons. I think the Steelers did a great job this off season.

Agreed, however I hope we see Adams develops more of his potential than Starks.

Their physicality and combine measurables were virtually identical coming out of college....INCLUDING Bench Press. :horror:

Hindes204
07-19-2012, 10:47 AM
INCLUDING Bench Press. :horror:

Im 6'2 215 and I can bench press 225 almost 19 times. Adams is 6'7 323...19 is just plain sad for a guy that size.

zulater
07-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Im 6'2 215 and I can bench press 225 almost 19 times. Adams is 6'7 323...19 is just plain sad for a guy that size.

Doesn't having long arms sometimes work against you on the bench? Not saying that Adams shouldn't be benching more, but for some reason I've been led to believe guys with a disproportionate long wing span will struggle on the bench.

Hindes204
07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Doesn't having long arms sometimes work against you on the bench? Not saying that Adams shouldn't be benching more, but for some reason I've been led to believe guys with a disproportionate long wing span will struggle on the bench.

Yes, shorter stalkier type of guys have a much easier time with the bench press...shorter arms means much less range of motion. Thats why guards usually fare better in the bench press. However, a man of that size should be able to bench press more than that. Cordy Glenn (longer arms than Adams) and Matt Kalil both had 31 and 30 respectively. Not saying bench press is everything, but uit is definitely a red flag.

GBMelBlount
07-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Starks only benched 225 lbs 21 times at the combine.

So my question is...was strength ever a problem for Starks in the nfl...was he out muscled a lot in the trenches?

Edman
07-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Starks' strength was never a problem. His issue all these years were the elite speed/technical rushers. I don't recall him ever getting out muscled or pushed back into the pocket. He single-handedly neutralized Terrell Suggs in the second Ravens game last year. Pretty impressive.

zulater
07-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Starks' strength was never a problem. His issue all these years were the elite speed/technical rushers. I don't recall him ever getting out muscled or pushed back into the pocket. He single-handedly neutralized Terrell Suggs in the second Ravens game last year. Pretty impressive.

The only issue I can recall with Starks was he used to get a good amount of ankle sprains earlier in his career that could slow him.

Mtn.Steel
07-19-2012, 12:21 PM

As a fitness trainer, I can state without any doubt that bench pressing is ALL about good technique. I had a client that struggled to put up 175 once. By the end of the same day I had him doing multiple reps at 225. Secondly, the bench press has very little to do with "football strength". In fact, I believe that the bench press is completely non-functional and really only good for hypertrophy and bragging rights.

Hindes204
07-19-2012, 12:37 PM
As a fitness trainer, I can state without any doubt that bench pressing is ALL about good technique. I had a client that struggled to put up 175 once. By the end of the same day I had him doing multiple reps at 225. Secondly, the bench press has very little to do with "football strength". In fact, I believe that the bench press is completely non-functional and really only good for hypertrophy and bragging rights.

I agree with most of this, but strength still plays a role in football. I am no fitness trainer (although I have taken enough nutrition, anatomy, and fitness classes to become an AFAA or ACE certified one quite easily) but even I know that working with weights improves your skill set as a football player. Some purists believe the bench press does nothing...ridiculous. Technique plays a huge role, absolutely, but as an avid gym goer for many years, I have to call BS on the fact that a guy went from struggling with 175 to repping 225 in a matter of hours. That just doesn't happen.

GBMelBlount
07-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I agree with most of this, but strength still plays a role in football. I am no fitness trainer (although I have taken enough nutrition, anatomy, and fitness classes to become an AFAA or ACE certified one quite easily) but even I know that working with weights improves your skill set as a football player. Some purists believe the bench press does nothing...ridiculous. Technique plays a huge role, absolutely, but as an avid gym goer for many years, I have to call BS on the fact that a guy went from struggling with 175 to repping 225 in a matter of hours. That just doesn't happen.

Maybe he was belted by gamma rays. :hmm:

zulater
07-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Maybe he was belted by gamma rays. :hmm:

Or he got bit by a spider who was belted by gamma rays? :scratchchin:

GBMelBlount
07-19-2012, 12:58 PM

Exactly.

I guess my point on the bench press is that Starks and Adams were about the same size and strength coming out of college and Starks was never noticeably overpowered so I am not so worried about his strength....

But his other measurables for speed and agility (40, 3-cone and shuttle) are also very similar to Max's as well....

So I AM wondering if he will also have problems with the elite / speed rushers.....

Mtn.Steel
07-19-2012, 02:08 PM

Call BS all you want. I see really poor technique and form every single day. Keep in mind I am not working with pro athletes every day either. That is an actual account and all it really says is that the guy had terrible form and once I got his heels on the ground and shoulder blades positioned correctly, he performed quite well for his size. My point is that a certain number of reps is meaningless due to the principle of specificity. (I.E. football playes do not train for specific weighlifting techniques.) A guy might only be able to do 15 reps, and still be able to chuck guys all over the field. Simply, the bench press rep number rarely relates to how good of a football player a guy is. I am strong as hell. How much can I bench? No idea because I have no desire to spend time training a worthless exercise. Same as an NFL player I would imagine. In fact I would love to see how these guys perform in a closed chain, functional exercise such as a push up.

Iron Steeler
07-19-2012, 08:15 PM

That really bothers me to be honest... hopefully he will add strength or else he is going to be in real trouble

Chidi29
07-19-2012, 09:12 PM
That really bothers me to be honest... hopefully he will add strength or else he is going to be in real trouble

The workout numbers mean very little. The tape is what tells you if a guy has functional strength. Not the bench press.

GBMelBlount
07-19-2012, 10:03 PM
The workout numbers mean very little. The tape is what tells you if a guy has functional strength. Not the bench press.

While combine type measurables are necessary I tend to agree here.

As far as the discussion at hand....It sounds like based on tape we may need to be concerned with Adams development with handling edge/speed rushers moreso than being bull rushed and overpowered.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Starks only benched 225 lbs 21 times at the combine.

So my question is...was strength ever a problem for Starks in the nfl...was he out muscled a lot in the trenches?

I dont think scouts worry as much about strength, as they do work ethic. If a guy benches less than the norm, then some will want to dig deeper into his work habits, as opposed to guys that put up a lot of reps. I'm not surprised that Starks and Adams have similar numbers, neither of them are known as workout guys or gym rats.

Adams was suspended for part of last season at OSU, but didnt spend a lot of it in the weight room to get up only 19 reps. Conversely Ryan Kalil benched 34 times, Marvel Smith 24 times, Doug Legursky 36 reps, Marcus Gilbert 30 reps, Gabe Carimi 29 reps.

TMC
07-20-2012, 06:58 AM
I dont think scouts worry as much about strength, as they do work ethic. If a guy benches less than the norm, then some will want to dig deeper into his work habits, as opposed to guys that put up a lot of reps. I'm not surprised that Starks and Adams have similar numbers, neither of them are known as workout guys or gym rats.

Adams was suspended for part of last season at OSU, but didnt spend a lot of it in the weight room to get up only 19 reps. Conversely Ryan Kalil benched 34 times, Marvel Smith 24 times, Doug Legursky 36 reps, Marcus Gilbert 30 reps, Gabe Carimi 29 reps.

I have really be scrutinizing the draft for a while now, easily over 15 years. I have combine information going back to 1999. This is what I think I know. There are two things I always factor in when I look at the bench numbers. The first is arm length of the guy. Marcus Gilbert's 30 reps with 33.5" arms is pretty decent. Adams has 34" arms. That is not short, but when you think NFL teams do not want tackles with arms under 33" long, that is not considered on the upper end either. Those 19 reps raises a little bit of a concern. But, you also won't see many guys like Cordy Glenn, who had 35 3/4" arms and threw the bar up 31 times. They just are not out there often.

The second thing I always factor in is position. While you want big strong defensive linemen across the board as they have to drive the OL back, you can afford to have tackles with lesser numbers. They need to combat speed more than power. Sure, Deebo and Woodley are powerful guys, but there are not many 300 pound defensive ends that can power tackles back on a consistent basis. They have the strength, but force is generated by the strength plus mass, and most DEs lack the mass. So, I would much rather have a tackle that struggles on the bench than a center (like Konz).

The most important thing in that article, to me, is how the veterans talk about the upgrade in competition. All draftniks watch film, write bios, rank players, project, etc. The thing is, once they are drafted, the real questions begin. Can that kid pick up the playbook? Can he make the jump in competition? Can he handle the complexity of the defenses? It is such a big step. And, when you think that your better DEs have an arsenal of pass rush moves. Guys like Harrison, Woodley, Mario Williams, Jared Allen, and the host of great pass rushers not only combine power and speed, but they have developed techniques to maximize those abilities. You get a guy like Bruce Davis, who had an excellent first step and simply blew by blockers in college, that gets into the pros and once they realize he lacks power and pass rush moves, they just whip him consistently. Elite in college, failed in the pros.

To me, that is the biggest thing in this article. Each one of those guys drafted have to show they can now take all the stuff from college and adapt to the pro game. Huge step. Really cannot wait to see these guys in pads against that level of competition.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-20-2012, 08:04 AM
I have really be scrutinizing the draft for a while now, easily over 15 years. I have combine information going back to 1999. This is what I think I know. There are two things I always factor in when I look at the bench numbers. The first is arm length of the guy. Marcus Gilbert's 30 reps with 33.5" arms is pretty decent. Adams has 34" arms. That is not short, but when you think NFL teams do not want tackles with arms under 33" long, that is not considered on the upper end either. Those 19 reps raises a little bit of a concern. But, you also won't see many guys like Cordy Glenn, who had 35 3/4" arms and threw the bar up 31 times. They just are not out there often.

The second thing I always factor in is position. While you want big strong defensive linemen across the board as they have to drive the OL back, you can afford to have tackles with lesser numbers. They need to combat speed more than power. Sure, Deebo and Woodley are powerful guys, but there are not many 300 pound defensive ends that can power tackles back on a consistent basis. They have the strength, but force is generated by the strength plus mass, and most DEs lack the mass. So, I would much rather have a tackle that struggles on the bench than a center (like Konz).

The most important thing in that article, to me, is how the veterans talk about the upgrade in competition. All draftniks watch film, write bios, rank players, project, etc. The thing is, once they are drafted, the real questions begin. Can that kid pick up the playbook? Can he make the jump in competition? Can he handle the complexity of the defenses? It is such a big step. And, when you think that your better DEs have an arsenal of pass rush moves. Guys like Harrison, Woodley, Mario Williams, Jared Allen, and the host of great pass rushers not only combine power and speed, but they have developed techniques to maximize those abilities. You get a guy like Bruce Davis, who had an excellent first step and simply blew by blockers in college, that gets into the pros and once they realize he lacks power and pass rush moves, they just whip him consistently. Elite in college, failed in the pros.

To me, that is the biggest thing in this article. Each one of those guys drafted have to show they can now take all the stuff from college and adapt to the pro game. Huge step. Really cannot wait to see these guys in pads against that level of competition.
I hear ya. Been following the draft intensely for the same timeframe approx. I remember having high hopes for 2nd round pick Jeremy Staat and thinking we should have taken Jon Tait instead of Troy Edwards.

I agree that arm length can factor into some of the bench #'s, but guys like Osemele (32 reps 35"arms), Kalil (30 reps 34.5" arms) Zebrie Sanders (28 reps 35" arms) and Glenn like you mentioned .........just show they like the weight room and are motivated to put the work in more than guys that only put up 17-20 reps. Its like any other part of the combine, where it just opens an area for discussion by teams before the give somebody $millions. 19 reps by Adams shows he might have motivation issues, which the Steelers looked into and feel good with.....otherwise they would not have picked him.

The comparisons to Starks frighten me though, as the knock on Starks in college was that he was soft and lacked motivation, but had all the size and skill. I hope Adams can leave the weed alone, get motivated to be great, not just collect an NFL paycheck like Starks has done most of his career. If he works like Colon or Legursky, then the can be an all-pro.

Craic
07-20-2012, 02:26 PM
One thing people are forgetting though, is that Starks didn't have good footwork. I believe, El-G, that was on of your constant harps on him (and I believe you and I filled up gameday threads bemoaning the fact too).

From what I've been reading (I don't watch college football, just can't get into it), footwork is not a factor for Adams for the most part. Once write-up for the draft said that he has good knee bend, and feet like a dancer - though a street dancer, rather than a ballerina. Also, and this is very different from Starks, Adams is even said to "Flash a nasty demeanor." I think the nastiest Starks has ever been is when he asked someone nicely to "knock it off."

If the writeups I read are correct, I don't see much of a similarity between him him and Starks outside of his physical attributes and a couple issues with getting beat by smart, technical players. It seems neither of them are much bothered by the bull-rushers.

If I'm reading it right, the problem with Adams getting beat however, is not that he is out-talented, but rather, that he just stops moving his feet after an initial block. That can be coached. Starks, I believe, didn't have the dexterity in the footwork to stay with certain players at the weight he normally played at.

GBMelBlount
07-20-2012, 02:34 PM
One thing people are forgetting though, is that Starks didn't have good footwork. I believe, El-G, that was on of your constant harps on him (and I believe you and I filled up gameday threads bemoaning the fact too).

From what I've been reading (I don't watch college football, just can't get into it), footwork is not a factor for Adams for the most part. Once write-up for the draft said that he has good knee bend, and feet like a dancer - though a street dancer, rather than a ballerina. Also, and this is very different from Starks, Adams is even said to "Flash a nasty demeanor." I think the nastiest Starks has ever been is when he asked someone nicely to "knock it off."

If the writeups I read are correct, I don't see much of a similarity between him him and Starks outside of his physical attributes and a couple issues with getting beat by smart, technical players. It seems neither of them are much bothered by the bull-rushers.

If I'm reading it right, the problem with Adams getting beat however, is not that he is out-talented, but rather, that he just stops moving his feet after an initial block. That can be coached. Starks, I believe, didn't have the dexterity in the footwork to stay with certain players at the weight he normally played at.

Ironically, even BEFORE the draft Adams was being compared to Starks.....

Player Comparison: Max Starks/Marvel Smith. Adams is comparable to the Steelers offensive tackles. Smith (6-5, 325) was the Steelers' left tackle in their Super Bowl XL championship. Injuries killed his career and cut it short. Starks (6-8, 345) has been a solid pro and part of Pittsburgh's smash-mouth offense. Starks has played right and left tackle for the team. Both of the veteran tackles, like Adams, can struggle with speed rushers at times. They also are tough run blockers who can rock linemen off the line of scrimmage.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012madams.php

TMC
07-20-2012, 03:54 PM

He is a lot more similar to Starks than most want to admit. He is a bigger guy, not as powerful as Starks, and has while he has good feet, Starks trumps him with technique. Starks keeps his feet moving, Adams does not always do that.

Here is what continues to baffle me. Everyone talks about how good he is in pass protection. He played in 7 games last year. The first game was against Mercilus. They threw less than 10 times, probably closer to 8, and Mercilus had 1.5 sacks in that game. The next game was against Wisconsin and he faced Kelly. There were less than 15 pass plays and Kelly had a sack. The following game was against Indiana and they had an OLB they brought (Hoobler). Again, less than 15 pass plays, Hoobler has 2 sacks. He did not allow a sack against Purdue. Jack Crawford of Penn State had 2 in less than 20 pass attempts. Michigan's Van Bergan added a half sack. Powell of Florida had a sack as well. In only one game last season did he not allow a sack. Against better pass rushers, he allowed multiple sacks in a limited number of passing attempts.

Good feet. Long arms. Deemed a first round guy by many. Why did he not perform?

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-20-2012, 05:19 PM

Preach, I thought we had a steal in Starks when I saw him blocking 30 yds downfield on a run vs Buffalo in his rookie year when he got some playing time at the end of the season. He looked eager and hungry to compete. When he got the starting RT job, he looked to revert back to his old college self and just be the big bodied guy thats good enough to play. If he ever stayed hungry, or played with the intensity or finished blocks like Colon he could have been an all pro.

Yes, Starks is heavy footed and I have noted that before. Adams is not heavy footed like Starks and has good feet. He seemed to lapse at times in games and while he is a good knee bender, I saw him getting over extended at times and waist bending in the run game.....so he looked to play high. Adams is a much better OT (LT) prospect than Starks was, he just looks to lack focus and if he can learn how to be a professional from Kugler, Colon, Gilbert, Foster, etc......he can be great. If he performs like Starks did, he will be a guy that hangs around the league for 10 years but never really played as great as he can play.

GBMelBlount
07-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Preach, I thought we had a steal in Starks when I saw him blocking 30 yds downfield on a run vs Buffalo in his rookie year when he got some playing time at the end of the season. He looked eager and hungry to compete. When he got the starting RT job, he looked to revert back to his old college self and just be the big bodied guy thats good enough to play. If he ever stayed hungry, or played with the intensity or finished blocks like Colon he could have been an all pro.

Yes, Starks is heavy footed and I have noted that before. Adams is not heavy footed like Starks and has good feet. He seemed to lapse at times in games and while he is a good knee bender, I saw him getting over extended at times and waist bending in the run game.....so he looked to play high. Adams is a much better OT (LT) prospect than Starks was, he just looks to lack focus and if he can learn how to be a professional from Kugler, Colon, Gilbert, Foster, etc......he can be great. If he performs like Starks did, he will be a guy that hangs around the league for 10 years but never really played as great as he can play.

Just getting ready to ask that...

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Just getting ready to ask that...

Lots of pundits had Adams as a guy that teases with his size, athleticism, arm length, etc. but drives coaches crazy with his inconsistency, lack of mental drive and off field issues. Then again, what do I know, I am just a guy that volunteers his time to coach youth football. Below is a PFW assessment of him.

Generated a buzz at the Senior Bowl because of his giant stature and ability to match up well in pass protection. However, he lacks the mental makeup, toughness and consistency desired on the front lines and has clear bust potential.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/mike-adams-75/

Craic
07-20-2012, 11:20 PM

I gotta wonder, bad form often is a sign of being tired; is it true for here as well? As you pointed out, Starks played best when he has to be in shape in order to make the team - his first year or so, and last year.

What does that mean for Adams when we now have a new OC that is notorious for getting on players, rather than motivation by friendship? If he can drive them to be in better shape, does that alter the rest of the equation?

Psycho Ward 86
07-22-2012, 09:02 PM
He is a lot more similar to Starks than most want to admit. He is a bigger guy, not as powerful as Starks, and has while he has good feet, Starks trumps him with technique. Starks keeps his feet moving, Adams does not always do that.

Here is what continues to baffle me. Everyone talks about how good he is in pass protection. He played in 7 games last year. The first game was against Mercilus. They threw less than 10 times, probably closer to 8, and Mercilus had 1.5 sacks in that game. The next game was against Wisconsin and he faced Kelly. There were less than 15 pass plays and Kelly had a sack. The following game was against Indiana and they had an OLB they brought (Hoobler). Again, less than 15 pass plays, Hoobler has 2 sacks. He did not allow a sack against Purdue. Jack Crawford of Penn State had 2 in less than 20 pass attempts. Michigan's Van Bergan added a half sack. Powell of Florida had a sack as well. In only one game last season did he not allow a sack. Against better pass rushers, he allowed multiple sacks in a limited number of passing attempts.

Good feet. Long arms. Deemed a first round guy by many. Why did he not perform?

were all of those sacks his fault. i didnt know about this at all

TMC
07-23-2012, 09:25 AM
were all of those sacks his fault. i didnt know about this at all

I would have to go back and watch each sack individually to ensure they were all his fault. I know that Mercilus ate him up. IIRC, Van Bergan, Crawford, and even Floyd had good pass rush games against him. Adams was pretty up and down at times. I keep hearing he has great feet and he does have some quickness, but too often he quits moving his feet and lunges. If you fail to use the gift, how great is it? IMO, he has some growing to do.

BigNastyDefense
07-23-2012, 09:40 AM
The bench press is the most overrated workout when it comes to athletes that play sports.

If you're a tackle, yes you need to be strong. But it doesn't matter how many times you throw up 225 lbs. on a bench press if you have crappy technique. Doesn't matter if you benched it 35 times, if you cannot anchor yourself you will be pushed back and if you don't have much strength in your legs you won't be pancaking tackles and outside linebackers.

You won't be putting very many defensive ends and linebackers on their asses with a simple shove.

zulater
07-23-2012, 10:28 AM
I would have to go back and watch each sack individually to ensure they were all his fault. I know that Mercilus ate him up. IIRC, Van Bergan, Crawford, and even Floyd had good pass rush games against him. Adams was pretty up and down at times. I keep hearing he has great feet and he does have some quickness, but too often he quits moving his feet and lunges. If you fail to use the gift, how great is it? IMO, he has some growing to do.

Good coaching might make a difference. Not knocking the OSU staff. But college players have limited practice time due to stringent NCAA rules. If a guy can get by mostly on superior athletic ability there might not be a great deal of thought or effort towards coaching him up to succeed at the next level. They ( coaches) probably use their time towards other aspects of greater need, such as game plans and coaching lesser players up.

suitanim
07-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Adams IS inconsistent. He takes plays off, and that's why he gets beat.

I've watched every OSU football game for probably 20 years, and while I am just a simple and barely functional layman without the vast and deep pool of great knowledge possessed by high school football coaches, I do have one simple borderline moronic observation to make that is classless and adds nothing to this board:

Watch Adams in 2010 if you want to make a true assessment. Tressel graded him as their best OL for that year, and as bad as their offense was in 2011, it was very good in 2010.

TMC
07-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Good coaching might make a difference. Not knocking the OSU staff. But college players have limited practice time due to stringent NCAA rules. If a guy can get by mostly on superior athletic ability there might not be a great deal of thought or effort towards coaching him up to succeed at the next level. They ( coaches) probably use their time towards other aspects of greater need, such as game plans and coaching lesser players up.

It absolutely can make a difference. But, coaching takes time. The thread was about how they will have their hands full. Both will. The difference is, DeCastro was dominant at times, has shown to be a hard worker, is very smart, and the transition should be easier. Adams is not consistent, has not proven he is a hard worker to this point, and was not dominant. His transition will be much more difficult. And, while he does flash good feet, he does not show that consistently. He has a lot of work to do. If he does it, he should be fine. If he continues like he did at OSU, don't know if he even sticks with the team long term. He carries some risk.

Watch Adams in 2010 if you want to make a true assessment. Tressel graded him as their best OL for that year, and as bad as their offense was in 2011, it was very good in 2010.

His 2010 season was vastly better than his 2011 season. But, do we get the 2010 Adams or the 2008, 2009, or 2011 Adams? That is the question.

suitanim
07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
It absolutely can make a difference. But, coaching takes time. The thread was about how they will have their hands full. Both will. The difference is, DeCastro was dominant at times, has shown to be a hard worker, is very smart, and the transition should be easier. Adams is not consistent, has not proven he is a hard worker to this point, and was not dominant. His transition will be much more difficult. And, while he does flash good feet, he does not show that consistently. He has a lot of work to do. If he does it, he should be fine. If he continues like he did at OSU, don't know if he even sticks with the team long term. He carries some risk.

His 2010 season was vastly better than his 2011 season. But, do we get the 2010 Adams or the 2008, 2009, or 2011 Adams? That is the question.

I'd say if he's playing, we get Adams circa 2010 Mark II. Remember, last year was truncated for him, and OSU was a complete mess. I wouldn't bet my house on it or anything, but I'm reasonably confident that's the Adams we see.

I was pretty consistent. I wanted the Steelers to stay away from Adams IN THE FIRST ROUND. And it was because of that inconsistency. Things worked out nicely. Obviously the Steelers coveted him. They aren't infallible, but their recent higher round draft picks along the lines have pretty much worked out okay.

TMC
07-23-2012, 03:51 PM
I'd say if he's playing, we get Adams circa 2010 Mark II. Remember, last year was truncated for him, and OSU was a complete mess. I wouldn't bet my house on it or anything, but I'm reasonably confident that's the Adams we see.

I was pretty consistent. I wanted the Steelers to stay away from Adams IN THE FIRST ROUND. And it was because of that inconsistency. Things worked out nicely. Obviously the Steelers coveted him. They aren't infallible, but their recent higher round draft picks along the lines have pretty much worked out okay.

Hard to say who we get. If we get the 2010 Adams, he could do well. Any other season, we'll see. I have no issue with the drafting of Adams. I think he is a better fit at RT than left, but I would also give him the chance at LT, just like I would Gilbert. The best man gets the job. I start my best 5. Right now, I think that will be Starks, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, and Gilbert.