PDA

View Full Version : Steelers offseason grade B according to ESPN insider.

zulater
07-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Grade: B
Pittsburgh Steelers
Pittsburgh Steelers' 2012 Draft Selections
Round Pick Position Player College
(1) 24 G David DeCastro Stanford
(2) 56 T Mike Adams Ohio State
(3) 86 LB Sean Spence Miami
(4) 109 NT Alameda Ta'amu Washington
(5) 159 RB Chris Rainey Florida
(7) 231 WR Toney Clemons Colorado
(7) 240 TE David Paulson Oregon
(7) 246 CB Terrence Frederick Texas A&M
(7) 248 T Kelvin Beachum Southern Methodist

Key FA additions: TE Leonard Pope

Key FA losses: LB James Farrior, DE Aaron Smith, G Chris Kemoeatu, WR Hines Ward, CB William Gay, RB Mewelde Moore

Analysis: As usual, the Steelers did little during free agency, but they did purge their roster of several stalwart contributors who helped them win a lot of games over the years. These were necessary moves that should make the Steelers a better team for 2012 and beyond.

The story for Pittsburgh's offseason is its offensive line. It has been a major weakness for much of Ben Roethlisberger's tenure behind center, but the Steelers are set up for the long term as well as any team in the NFL with their front five. DeCastro should start immediately at right guard, and Adams is penciled in at left tackle. Going from left to right, the Steelers feature this young, talented group: Adams, Willie Colon, Maurkice Pouncey, DeCastro and Marcus Gilbert. That could be an elite unit before long and possibly the missing ingredient to getting Pittsburgh back to the Super Bowl.

Wide receiver Mike Wallace remains unhappy with his contract situation, but Emmanuel Sanders should be healthy. The Steelers were wise to bring back Jerricho Cotchery as insurance at wide receiver. Like all the holdouts, it would be a major shock if Wallace wasn't available to Pittsburgh for the start of the regular season, and I expect the Steelers to feature their passing game behind that upgraded offensive line in 2012. Pittsburgh's offseason grade is a solid B -- just like it is every year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8122434/offseason-grades-every-afc-team-nfl

Nice to see someone else that doesn't think our offseason was a total disaster. :chuckle:

Admittedly I'm a homer, but I think the Steelers had an excellent offseason. I'd give it a B+.

Count Steeler
07-18-2012, 05:10 AM
Knock on wood. I'm just glad it has been a quiet off season for player antics. Hope that translates to a focused and hungry group of men, ready to take no prisoners en route to New Orleans on Feb. 3, 2013.

GBMelBlount
07-18-2012, 06:07 AM
Knock on wood. I'm just glad it has been a quiet off season for player antics. Hope that translates to a focused and hungry group of men, ready to take no prisoners en route to New Orleans on Feb. 3, 2013.,

With the infusion of youth, personnel changes and stinging loss in Denver I think we will see a more focused and hungry group.

I think this was their best off season in a long time. There was little they could control on the FA losses, otherwise I think they made all the right moves.

I will see "homer" and raise him one. :chuckle:

I give them a solid A for the draft and an A- overall.

Was it the right decision to trade up for Taamu in the 4th? Very possibly.

86WARD
07-18-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm a homer, but I try to be a realist as well...I think with what they've done to address the OLine...the medias main gripe with this team...and some of the restructured and signings, I give it more than a B. B+ from me. High B+.

I'd like to have seen them address the back up QB, depth at MLB and begun the process of finding depth and possible successors for Polamalu...

zulater
07-18-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm a homer, but I try to be a realist as well...I think with what they've done to address the OLine...the medias main gripe with this team...and some of the restructured and signings, I give it more than a B. B+ from me. High B+.

I'd like to have seen them address the back up QB, depth at MLB and begun the process of finding depth and possible successors for Polamalu...

Great plan for next offseason! :applaudit: