PDA

View Full Version : Why was Starks signed

Craic
07-17-2012, 06:09 PM
So, I find it interesting that Starks was signed just a couple weeks or so before camp starts. I have to ask, why? I can come up with one of four reasons and was wondering what you all thought....

SteelerEmpire
07-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Because he shut down T-sizzle in the last game we played them. Therefore he must be good.

salamander
07-17-2012, 06:14 PM
I went with veteran experience. As I said in the other thread, if nothing else it adds good depth.

GBMelBlount
07-17-2012, 06:20 PM
E. Cheap Insurance. :o

Count Steeler
07-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Just to add depth and insurance. He may end up starting, he may end up a back up. With our recent history on the O Line, the 5 starting linemen in Sept. won't be the same unit come Feb. I hope for a healthy season for all our guys, but recent history dictates otherwise.

polamalubeast
07-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Just to add depth

zulater
07-17-2012, 06:56 PM
None of the above.

Insurance policy if Adams isn't up to speed at the start of the season, and veteran depth once Adams assumes his place in the starting lineuup.

SteelGhost
07-17-2012, 07:06 PM
None of the above.

Insurance policy if Adams isn't up to speed at the start of the season, and veteran depth once Adams assumes his place in the starting lineuup.

I agree with Zu

stillers4me
07-17-2012, 07:49 PM
E. Ben cried until he got his way.

F. Brady is gay

:chuckle:

fansince'76
07-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Because he shut down T-sizzle in the last game we played them. Therefore he must be good.

Compared to Jon Scott, who routinely made Suggs look like Lawrence Taylor, he's Anthony freaking Muņoz. Speaking of which, I pray this signing signals the end of Scott's tenure.

BigNastyDefense
07-17-2012, 07:56 PM
He's a better backup at tackle than what we currently have, and that isn't counting Colon who is practicing and learning a new position on the line. This way if one of our tackles has to miss some time, Starks can step in and play both tackle positions instead of moving Colon to tackle and plugging someone else in at guard.

Also, he isn't a bad tackle. He's not a premier guy, but he's just a step below that IMHO. He can help teach both Adams and Gilbert.

polamalubeast
07-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Compared to Jon Scott, who routinely made Suggs look like Lawrence Taylor, he's Anthony freaking Muņoz. Speaking of which, I pray this signing signals the end of Scott's tenure.

The LT of the Steelers is a concern for me...I make a lot of nightmares every day by thinking of the game in week 9 against the Giants...I am afraid to see Jason Pierre Paul destroying Roethlisberger

I make also of nightmares for the game against the eagles in week5, but it is perhaps because of the game against them in 2008

Devilsdancefloor
07-17-2012, 08:13 PM
i thknk it was to keep him on the right track keeping that carrot in front of him make him get his rehab done and be in shape for camp. MOTIVATION !

86WARD
07-17-2012, 08:38 PM
None of the above.

THIS!

7willBheaven
07-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Just to add depth and insurance. He may end up starting, he may end up a back up. With our recent history on the O Line, the 5 starting linemen in Sept. won't be the same unit come Feb. I hope for a healthy season for all our guys, but recent history dictates otherwise.

This

7willBheaven
07-17-2012, 09:04 PM
None of the above.

And this too...

LLT
07-17-2012, 11:04 PM

"Most likely" he will be the starter at the beginning of the season with Adams gettting a good deal of snaps. My hope is that Adams shows enough that he will be starting by seasons end. Let Max take the reigns until Adams can soak up the playbook and add a litte strength and a little sand in his pants.

And as others have mentioned....PLEASE let this be the end of the Jonathon Scott experience

Austin87
07-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Veteran experience. Glad he's back.

TMC
07-18-2012, 07:28 AM
My option is not on the list and that is Max Starks is currently the only proven starter at LT on roster. While Adams can be projected to a position from college, until he steps on the field in pads and proves he belongs, all there is on the guy is opinion. Starks has proven he can do it, year after year. You get a chance to ink a starter for the veteran minimum, you do it.

And, I see some physical similarities in Starks and Adams. Both struggle with speed. Starks is a much better run blocker. Starks also has better technique and a stiffer punch with his left hand, which he uses to help him defeat the speed on the outside. All of that is things Adams can learn. IMO, Adams just has too far to go. And, I still would not rule out Gilbert getting some camp reps at LT while Adams gets some at RT. Gilbert has a funny way of playing up (and down) to his competition.

Bluecoat96
07-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Well, if the last choice about not signing Starks so he'd stay in shape is true, it looks to have worked. Here he is at the Batman premiere last night.

https://p.twimg.com/AyDnH1_CMAMBBFr.jpg

shutdown
07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
I did not see a "He's 100x better than J. Scott" option.

zulater
07-18-2012, 02:12 PM

I'll sign on to that! :lol:

bayz101
07-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Well, he announced the contract right after he tweeted that he seen his doctor. I think the Steelers we're waiting on a medical report, just like Tomlin said he'd have Starks back if he lost some weight.

tube517
07-19-2012, 01:36 PM
All this talk about Gilbert, Adams, Starks and the tackle position and people tend to forget that Starks started his career at RT with Marvel Smith at LT. That's why I like the signing because he brings depth at BOTH positions.

Craic
07-19-2012, 01:43 PM

I'll sign on to that! :lol:

I guess that' s one I completely overlooked! :chuckle:

Craic
07-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Wow...

and now Scott is gone, I guess that gives us the answer - Number 3. Things weren't looking the same behind the scenes. Goodbye Scott, hello Starks.

Remember when Starks was the also-ran that everyone thought was an absolute waste to keep on the roster, especially at the franchise tag?

Guess it looks a bit different now.

salamander
07-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Don't be silly. The only reason Starks is back is because Ben cried to the Rooneys to re-sign Max. :chuckle:

tube517
07-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Don't be silly. The only reason Starks is back is because Ben cried to the Rooneys to re-sign Max. :chuckle:

:rofl2:

And Max compared Haley's offense to Ben's other mortal enemy, Whis. I think you are right! :chuckle:

Edman
07-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Because he's proven to be a dependable guy we can turn to (when healthy), and simply put we've had it with the Jon Scott experience.

Say what you will about Starks, but he never tried to block with his ass nor was he body-slammed into the turf by Dwight Freeney on National TV.

salamander
07-20-2012, 05:17 PM

And Max compared Haley's offense to Ben's other mortal enemy, Whis. I think you are right! :chuckle:

It all makes sense now! :lol: :lol:

Craic
07-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Because he's proven to be a dependable guy we can turn to (when healthy), and simply put we've had it with the Jon Scott experience.

Say what you will about Starks, but he never tried to block with his ass nor was he body-slammed into the turf by Dwight Freeney on National TV.

Maybe not, but it worked. There's a fine line between doing something stupid and doing something brilliant. Troy P. maybe a tackle backwards and we all said it was the latter, Scott makes a block backwards and we all say it was stupid.

fansince'76
07-20-2012, 07:02 PM

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/ben-roethlisberger-max-starks.jpg

:chuckle:

Moose
07-20-2012, 09:58 PM
None of the above.

Gotta agree with ya Zu !! Insurance and veteran !