PDA

View Full Version : 5 Predictions For the Upcoming Season

LLT
07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
With the days crawling towards the start of training camp....little news is coming out of the Steelers organization. So here are 5 predictions that might get you a little excited for the upcoming season.

1) Isaac Redman is going to have us saying Rashard who?
With the attention given to the offensive line this off season, get ready for Redman to to get your blood pumping. He isnt the next coming of Jerome Bettis, but he is a "hungry" back who knows that THIS is his time to shine. Redman was more than competent in spot duty last year, and we will all be more than satisfied to see his work ethic translate into an exciting run game. We also shouldn't underestimate the running back corps desire to honor Coach Wilson with their effort this year.

2) By the end of the season there will be little doubt that Cortez Allen is our best young conerback.
Unless Cortez suffers an injury, or his shoulder isn't completely healed after an off season surgery, look for the introspective and quiet 2nd year player to raise some eyebrows. As of now Lewis is slotted as the starter on the opposite side of Taylor with Allen getting the nod at nickelback, but Allens approach to the game is light years more professional and mature. If all things were equal, Allen would have the edge over Lewis...but they are not...beside his being more cerebral, Allen is the more instinctive and athletic of the two.

3) Emmanuel Sanders will regain his 2010 form.
With the outstanding performance put on by Antonio Brown this last year, some have forgotten that it was Emmanuel Sanders who appeared to be the better of the two prospects when the two players were rookies. Sanders had almost twice the catches that Brown did in 2010, but his injury plagued sophomore season opened the door for Antonio Brown to rack up 1,108 yards opposite Mike Wallace. Sanders has declared himself "100% healthy" and could very well be the third part of one of the best wide recieving corps in the NFL in 2012.

4) OLB Chris Carter overcomes a series of 2011 obstacles.
It is hard enough for players to make the transition from Defensive End to Outside Linebacker. Its even harder to do so when you have to learn the intricacies of a Dick Lebeau system. Carter, remarkably, also had to deal with the lockout, missing out on OTA’s/ minicamps, and a hamstring injury that caused him to miss 8 games. Word out of training camp is that Carter seems to have picked up the defense and showed up in good shape. Carter is relatively strong, runs a 4.58 forty and did flash moments of ability when given the chance. Most likely we will see Carter make a statement on special teams and will see his role increase behind our entrenched starters.

5) Special teams will be "special"
The addition of Chris Rainey will be significant. Rainey was the only player at the combine to post the best times in three events: 20-Yard Shuttle: 3.93 seconds , the 60-Yard Shuttle: 11.06 seconds, and the 3-Cone Drill: 6.50 seconds. He ran a 4.45 forty which shows that he is fast. The other three events show that he is quick...which may make for some exciting returns on punts and kickoffs. There is also a chance that UDFA Drew Butler may have what it takes to supplant punter Jeremy Kapinos. The Steelers ranked in the back half of virtually every punting statistical category. If Butler can continue to drop punts inside the 20 with the consistancy that he did in college, we may have a new punter when the season starts.

Steeldude
07-16-2012, 04:02 AM
1) Isaac Redman is going to have us saying Rashard who?

I was saying that last year. After all, it's only Mendenhall. :chuckle:

LLT
07-16-2012, 04:21 AM
I was saying that last year. After all, it's only Mendenhall. :chuckle:

...and Isaac (hopefully), wont be dancing behind the line of scrimmage.

GBMelBlount
07-16-2012, 06:11 AM
LLT With the days crawling towards the start of training camp....little news is coming out of the Steelers organization. So here are 5 predictions that might get you a little excited for the upcoming season.

[QUOTE]3) Emmanuel Sanders will regain his 2010 form.

With the outstanding performance put on by Antonio Brown this last year, some have forgotten that it was Emmanuel Sanders who appeared to be the better of the two prospects when the two players were rookies. Sanders had almost twice the catches that Brown did in 2010, but his injury plagued sophomore season opened the door for Antonio Brown to rack up 1,108 yards opposite Mike Wallace. Sanders has declared himself "100% healthy" and could very well be the third part of one of the best wide recieving corps in the NFL in 2012.

If Sanders is healthy and hits his stride this year we could have the most explosive wide receiving corps in the nfl.

The addition of Chris Rainey will be significant. Rainey was the only player at the combine to post the best times in three events: 20-Yard Shuttle: 3.93 seconds , the 60-Yard Shuttle: 11.06 seconds, and the 3-Cone Drill: 6.50 seconds. He ran a 4.45 forty which shows that he is fast. The other three events show that he is quick...which may make for some exciting returns on punts and kickoffs. There is also a chance that UDFA Drew Butler may have what it takes to supplant punter Jeremy Kapinos. The Steelers ranked in the back half of virtually every punting statistical category. If Butler can continue to drop punts inside the 20 with the consistancy that he did in college, we may have a new punter when the season starts.

Rainey's measurables (physical size, speed and agility) are very comparable to Barry Sanders. He will be exciting to watch on special teams but his size worries me a bit.

Bluecoat96
07-16-2012, 07:28 AM
The only real reason (IMHO) that Sanders had a disappointing '11 season was because of the ill-fated timing of his injury combined with the lockout shutting him out of the Steelers' facility for proper rehab. Same thing for Pouncey. Neither are injury prone.

I sure hope I don't eat my words this upcoming season.

Devilsdancefloor
07-16-2012, 08:32 AM
#1 i kinda got this feeling we might see a repeat of a Barry Foster type year maybe not the almost 1700 yards, but to make everyone as you said rashard who...

#2 i think we have a good set of CB's Lewis i think will have a great year If not i think Allen and Brown will set up

#3 I think we are going to see his true star power this year and Wallace will walk and brown & sanders will get there payday

#4 im still not sold on carter :noidea:

#5 i too think special teams will be great this year, now if we can just get a kicker :lol:

suitanim
07-16-2012, 09:04 AM
I agree with all of this except for A. Mendy is still underrated...Redman will do fine in his absence, but the upgrades across the front are the real difference.

house
07-16-2012, 09:29 AM
#1 I think Redman will use his chance the best way..Our O-line is improved a lot and we should see some great performances from him..

#2 Not quite sure Sanders will regain his 2010 form but he'll certainly be a lot better and he should be great as #3 receiver..

Nadroj 20
07-16-2012, 09:38 AM
I agree with Redman having a good year. I think Mendy is a good back but I have always had issues with his dancing and I've always thought he could be so much better.

It will suck for Mendy if Redman has an amazing season and basically takes his job when Mendy didn't get a chance to show what he can do behind a better line. (of course we have to wait and see if it's much better, even with the potential there we still have to see it to believe it.)

That's the way it goes sometimes.

polamalubeast
07-16-2012, 10:09 AM
In 2011, the Steelers finished the season with turnovers ratio of -13....I predict the Steelers will be at least + 10 in 2012

If Woodley is healthy, I think he will be a serious candidate for the defensive player of the year

steelerdude15
07-16-2012, 11:32 AM
A running back is as good as his offensive line. I bet if you were to built Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson behind our line from last year, they would struggle as well. I hope Mendy comes back and shocks the world. It would great to see two one thousand yard rushers.

GodfatherofSoul
07-16-2012, 12:11 PM
1. Goodell will continue his douchebag world tour.
2. We'll piss away one nationally televised game to a team we have no business losing to, right around the time we start getting hyped up as Super Bowl contenders.
3. We're going to miss Mendy.
4. AB will prove why he was our priority WR over Wallace.
5. We sweep the Ravens!

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
1. Woodley will not hustle
2. Redman will run with suddeness and glide
3. Ben will take too many sacks rather than just throw the ball away
4. Firetoddhaley.com will get some hits
5. Larry Foote and Mike Adams will be the respective goats on Defense and Offense.

polamalubeast
07-16-2012, 01:27 PM
4. Firetoddhaley.com will get some hits

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: :toofunny::toofunny:

SteelGhost
07-16-2012, 09:23 PM
With the days crawling towards the start of training camp....little news is coming out of the Steelers organization. So here are 5 predictions that might get you a little excited for the upcoming season.

4) OLB Chris Carter overcomes a series of 2011 obstacles.
It is hard enough for players to make the transition from Defensive End to Outside Linebacker. Its even harder to do so when you have to learn the intricacies of a Dick Lebeau system. Carter, remarkably, also had to deal with the lockout, missing out on OTA’s/ minicamps, and a hamstring injury that caused him to miss 8 games. Word out of training camp is that Carter seems to have picked up the defense and showed up in good shape. Carter is relatively strong, runs a 4.58 forty and did flash moments of ability when given the chance. Most likely we will see Carter make a statement on special teams and will see his role increase behind our entrenched starters.

I hope you're right LLT, we need an OLB if Deebo has back problems, maybe rotate Worilds and Carter would help us.

Chidi29
07-16-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm still not "sold" on Redman. I like him, I really do. But is he going to put up the numbers he did as a full time back rather than coming in to spell Mendenhall versus a tired defense.

I know it was just one game and the blame can't be put entirely on him, plus the new o-line will help, but Redman had just 3.3 YPC in his lone start vs the Titans last year. We're still talking about a guy that had double-digit carries just three times last year.

GBMelBlount
07-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm still not "sold" on Redman. I like him, I really do. But is he going to put up the numbers he did as a full time back rather than coming in to spell Mendenhall versus a tired defense.

I know it was just one game and the blame can't be put entirely on him, plus the new o-line will help, but Redman had just 3.3 YPC in his lone start vs the Titans last year. We're still talking about a guy that had double-digit carries just three times last year.

Good point and good question chidi. However there were some mitigating factors in that game...

However, the Titans' run defense is playing so well this season that it may not matter whom the Steelers play at running back this week.

Tennessee only allows 87.8 rush yards per game and is giving the up the fewest points per game in the NFL with 14. The Titans haven't even allowed more than 16 points in a single game this season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/885510-rashard-mendenhall-injury-isaac-redman-will-not-help-steelers-beat-titans

....and if I am not mistaken Mendenhall had averaged less than 3.0 YPC to that point in the season. Not an indictment of Mendy....just an observation.

Perhaps this speaks to the line issues as much as anything else.

Regardless, the bottom line is we won't know on Redman until he carries the bulk of the load week in and week out.

Chidi29
07-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Good point and good question chidi. However there were some mitigating factors in that game...

....and if I am not mistaken Mendenhall had averaged less than 3.0 YPC to that point in the season. Not an indictment of Mendy....just an observation.

Bottom line we won't know on Redman until he carries the bulk of the load week in and week out.

True, but the sample size isn't that great. Four games prior and two of them were against anemic offenses, Jacksonville and Cleveland.

Tennessee finished the year 24th vs the run, allowing 128 per game and 4.5 per carry.

GBMelBlount
07-16-2012, 10:34 PM
True, but the sample size isn't that great. Four games prior and two of them were against anemic offenses, Jacksonville and Cleveland.

Tennessee finished the year 24th vs the run, allowing 128 per game and 4.5 per carry.

of course. and I am assuming you mean defenses?

Bottom line is that while his ypc was reasonably good it was in a backup role and that is NOT apples to apples.

so at this point it is simply our opinions, one way or another.

But just as you I REALLY like the little i have seen.

Chidi29
07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
of course. and I am assuming you mean defenses?

Bottom line is that while his ypc was reasonably good it was in a backup role and that is NOT apples to apples.

No, Jacksonville and Cleveland have anemic offenses going against Tennessee (though to be fair, those were the two best rushing games against them in those four weeks).

I'm not trying to bash Redman, he's gone above and beyond every time a new role is asked of him, but I'm not going to forget about who Mendenhall is.

GBMelBlount
07-16-2012, 10:39 PM
thanks for clarifying...I understand your point.

I'm not trying to bash Redman, he's gone above and beyond every time a new role is asked of him, but I'm not going to forget about who Mendenhall is.

I know you are not chidi. your points are well taken. it would be wrong not to give mendy every opportunity when he is healthy, regardless of how well Redman might perform. he deserves that.

LLT
07-17-2012, 04:16 AM

Well...thats actually not accurate. He also started in the playoff game against Denver. 17 carries for 121 yards....thats a 7.1 ypc average. He also had 2 catches for 21 yards.

Also keep in mind that in that Titans game....it was the week they had JUST brought in a rusty Max Starks and had replaced an injured Kemo with Legursky.

GBMelBlount
07-17-2012, 05:43 AM
Well...thats actually not accurate. He also started in the playoff game against Denver. 17 carries for 121 yards....thats a 7.1 ypc average. He also had 2 catches for 21 yards.

Also keep in mind that in that Titans game....it was the week they had JUST brought in a rusty Max Starks and had replaced an injured Kemo with Legursky.

While I don't see Redman as necessarily an "explosive" back, one area he excelled in last year was yards after contact....

In this breakdown he is one of only 6 nfl running backs to average over 3.0 yards after contact. I think the average is around 2.5.

Fred Jackson BUF 3.75
Darren Sproles 3.67
Ben Tate HST 3.34
Adrian Peterson MIN 3.13
Isaac Redman PIT 3.06
Michael Turner ATL 3.05

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/27/2011-elusive-rating/

Mendy on the other hand IS explosive and tends to run best in space.

A luxury I don't know that we have had enough of the last 2 years.

TMC
07-17-2012, 06:44 AM

This is the one I am not sold on. I do not see Rainey as being a significant impact on special teams. In fact, when you think that Antonio Brown was our return man and we are going from Brown to Rainey, I have little doubt stating we will take a step back in the return department, IF Rainey even gets the job. While he was touted as a great special teams player and return man coming out, the truth is that does not hold water. He scored 2 collegiate TDs on returns, both came off blocked punts. He made his name blocking punts. He did not blow things up in the more traditional role of a punt or kick returner. In fact, he was seldom the first guy off the bench when it came time to trot the return units out. So, I just do not think he will explode in the pros when he could not secure the job in college.

As for Butler, I like him. But, he struggled some his senior season and has to get back to what he did early in his career. It could be tough for a rookie to come in and make that big jump.

LLT
07-30-2012, 02:36 AM
This is the one I am not sold on. I do not see Rainey as being a significant impact on special teams. In fact, when you think that Antonio Brown was our return man and we are going from Brown to Rainey, I have little doubt stating we will take a step back in the return department, IF Rainey even gets the job. While he was touted as a great special teams player and return man coming out, the truth is that does not hold water. He scored 2 collegiate TDs on returns, both came off blocked punts. He made his name blocking punts. He did not blow things up in the more traditional role of a punt or kick returner. In fact, he was seldom the first guy off the bench when it came time to trot the return units out. So, I just do not think he will explode in the pros when he could not secure the job in college.

As for Butler, I like him. But, he struggled some his senior season and has to get back to what he did early in his career. It could be tough for a rookie to come in and make that big jump.

I appreciate you opinion, but when comparing Brown to Rainey...Brown averaged 23.0 yards per return....and Rainey averaged 25.2