PDA

View Full Version : Dermontti Dawson Joins Concussion Lawsuit Against NFL

fansince'76
07-13-2012, 08:59 AM
By Dan Gigler / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With his induction to the Pro Football Hall of Fame just a few weeks away, former Steelers center Dermontti Dawson is among the latest former NFL players to file suit against the league for head injuries sustained while playing professional football.

According to a suit filed July 3 in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi, Dawson and three other ex-Steelers -- running back Stephen Avery, wide receiver Jeff Graham and safety Jonathan Staggers -- are among 47 former players being represented by attorneys John D. Giddens and Phillip Thomas in Jackson, Miss.

Read more: Dawson's Hall call on court detour (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/dawsons-hall-call-on-court-detour-644493/)

Steeldude
07-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Weren't players aware that concussions can occur in the NFL? Next boxers will be suing for head injuries.

GBMelBlount
07-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Weren't players aware that concussions can occur in the NFL? Next boxers will be suing for head injuries.

Agree.

But it is their right to sue...

However I do wonder if they see all the money on the table and simply want a piece of it...

steelreserve
07-15-2012, 02:42 AM

Part of me thinks this. They knew what they were getting into and had a choice - don't blame everyone else.

However, I also look at the way the NFL nickel-and-dimes retired players, especially the way it sometimes fights those who were badly injured, and I think something is overdue to change that. And also the way Goodell pays lip service to player safety and makes all kinds of highly visible moves for the media's benefit, which don't actually do a thing to improve safety. Maybe this will force the league to actually make some REAL progress toward improving safety, instead of a PR show that doesn't do anything except mess up the game. You could send a probe to Jupiter for less than the league rakes in in half a season - surely they could invent a safer helmet for less.

Nadroj 20
07-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Agree.

But it is their right to sue...

However I do wonder if they see all the money on the table and simply want a piece of it...

This is how I feel. I don't think they think of themselves as Victims due money because they've been wronged but they see that money on the table and this is the way to get it.

If you play football you know the risks. Also don't you know how your body feels more then anyone else? I'm sure in a lot of instances they knew something was rung upstairs but still chose to play. Which I understand because who wants to sit out if they can help it? However they are placing blame on someone else when they knew the risks and also had the ability to step up and say "hey something doesn't feel right after I just got hit in the head" and they decided to keep quiet.

Craic
07-22-2012, 03:23 AM
I suspect that as the lawsuit actually plays out, there will be a lot of things that happened behind the scenes coming to light. Players forced to play when they weren't ready (or threatened with being cut in the offseason), hints about upcoming contracts, etc.

Just call it a feeling.

And yeah, if that kind of stuff happened, then there is probably grounds to sue. It'll be interesting, I'll say that much.