PDA

View Full Version : Adams playing catchup with Steelers

LLT
07-03-2012, 03:09 AM
Adams playing catchup with Steelers
Zac Jackson
FOX Sports Ohio
July 3, 2012

Mike Adams feels like he has spent enough time over the last year or so away from football.

That didn't make his latest delay any easier, but the former Ohio State tackle says he's "up to speed" with the Pittsburgh Steelers offense and ready to report for his first NFL training camp in three weeks.

Adams, the Steelers' second-round pick in April, was still at Ohio State for most of the Steelers' organized team activity (OTA) practice sessions in May and June due to an NFL rule that keeps rookies away until their schools have completed classes. With Ohio State on the quarter system, Adams was in Columbus and trying to keep up with what was happening in Pittsburgh.

"I went to rookie minicamp and the last minicamp, so I have a good feel for things," Adams said last week while in Cleveland for the NFL rookie symposium. "My coaches did a great job keeping us up with everything. I had playbook the whole time, I had the film. I feel like I stayed up with things as best I could.

Read More: http://www.foxsportsohio.com/07/03/12/Adams-playing-catchup-with-Steelers/landing.html?blockID=755676&feedID=8889

Devilsdancefloor
07-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Hope he is up too speed

TMC
07-03-2012, 08:49 AM
It is so difficult to make that jump from college to the pros. I never have huge expectations for rookies and simply hope that most first round draft picks can contribute as rookies and earn a starting spot in their 2nd seasons. Those are the first rounders. The idea of a second rounder making that leap makes me pretty skeptical. When you think, the NFL is comprised of the best of the best.

Look at it this way, when the NFL draft rolls around, roughly 20-25 defensive ends are drafted. Of that number, 3-5 are first round picks (on average). Of those 3-5, one or two make a big impact. Last year, only 3 defensive ends averaged one sack per game and only 9 were in double digits. If you are a sack a game defensive end, you are a star.

In contrast, if you give up a sack a game as a left tackle, they are looking to replace you. In fact, if you give up a half sack a game, you are average to slightly below. When you factor in that Adams (or any other tackle) will be going from seeing an elite pass rusher once a year to seeing them every week, the task of taking your game to another level is daunting.

Forget learning the playbook, not blowing assignments, all the other jazz, the simple idea of taking that step forward in competition is massive. The NFL has pass rushers with speed and power. They combine that with great knowledge of how to set a guy up, elite pass rush moves, and formation queues to help give them an edge on the blocker.

When you watch the film of a guy and see him play well in college, it does not mean he will translate it to the next level. The true test always comes when the live bullets fly. How many times have we watched a guy jump off the film in the first preseason game and then fade away in the following weeks while a guy struggles in the first preseason game and earns a roster spot later on. Hope Adams can take that step. Right now, the Steelers need him to take the step.

I simply hope that Max Starks will be there to give us some security. Not so sold on the guys in the LT rotation if Adams falters.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-03-2012, 12:15 PM
It is so difficult to make that jump from college to the pros. I never have huge expectations for rookies and simply hope that most first round draft picks can contribute as rookies and earn a starting spot in their 2nd seasons. Those are the first rounders. The idea of a second rounder making that leap makes me pretty skeptical. When you think, the NFL is comprised of the best of the best.

Look at it this way, when the NFL draft rolls around, roughly 20-25 defensive ends are drafted. Of that number, 3-5 are first round picks (on average). Of those 3-5, one or two make a big impact. Last year, only 3 defensive ends averaged one sack per game and only 9 were in double digits. If you are a sack a game defensive end, you are a star.

I agree, I never EXPECT rookies to step in right away. Only something like 3% of all rookies drafted start in the 1st year. That being said, I think you put your 5 best linemen on the field and Pouncey, Colon, Gilbert, DeCastro and Adams are probably the guys. I just liked the idea of using Adams at RT to get used to the speed of the rushers and all before exposing him cold turkey to the best pass rushers in the NFL each week.

As for the playbook, its not that difficult for O linemen, but knowing the right protections and initial steps are important. The timing aspect that skill positions have to work is more detailed than blocking assignments for O linemen IMO. He will catch up, but I just hate to see any growing pains happen with Ben's blind side.

GBMelBlount
07-03-2012, 05:48 PM
I agree, I never EXPECT rookies to step in right away. Only something like 3% of all rookies drafted start in the 1st year.

That being said, I think you put your 5 best linemen on the field and Pouncey, Colon, Gilbert, DeCastro and Adams are probably the guys.

I just liked the idea of using Adams at RT to get used to the speed of the rushers and all before exposing him cold turkey to the best pass rushers in the NFL each week.

As for the playbook, its not that difficult for O linemen, but knowing the right protections and initial steps are important. The timing aspect that skill positions have to work is more detailed than blocking assignments for O linemen IMO. He will catch up, but I just hate to see any growing pains happen with Ben's blind side.

Why in the world would they PLAN on starting Adams at left tackle?

Was Gilbert's play not satisfactory enough.

I am surprised they would not have him prove himself and earn the spot.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Why in the world would they PLAN on starting Adams at left tackle?

Was Gilbert's play not satisfactory enough.

I am surprised they would not have him prove himself and earn the spot.

Maybe in the long run they feel that Adams will be the better LT of the 2? If Gilbert plays LT this season and does well and Adams progresses so that he can play it the following season, then the Steelers have 2 starting LT's on the team who will have contracts due at the same time. If they leave Gilbert at RT and think Adams will develop adequately this season, then they have a true LT-RT combination.

IDK, but just thinking that Adams will be the best LT over time and the Steelers are trying to plan long term.