PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Dwyer intent on losing weight, increasing role

fansince'76
07-02-2012, 12:40 AM
By Mark Kaboly

Jonathan Dwyer was projected as a top 30 prospect before the NFL Combine in 2010. After the combine, his stock plummeted as questions about his weight and conditioning arose.

It cost him six rounds in the draft.

A year later, Dwyer arrived at training camp 20 pounds overweight and found himself in coach Mike Tomlin’s doghouse. He was inactive for the first four games.

Dwyer isn’t about to let his weight cost him another opportunity — arguably the biggest of his life.

Read more: Steelers’ Dwyer intent on losing weight, increasing role (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2101567-85/dwyer-camp-redman-steelers-training-season-shape-weight-isaac-jonathan?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29)

Count Steeler
07-02-2012, 06:49 AM
“I am just realizing how much it takes to get where you are in this league and how hard you have to work and push yourself,” Dwyer said. “This is my year to prove something to myself, the league, to the organization, that I am worth more than what I was.”

Hope it is not too late for you.

Michael
07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
I clearly recognize Dwyer's talent. My question is with four weeks till training camp what is his weight now? All these guys should be in shape NOW. These next four weeks are important but the past four months is when the real work of getting shape occurs. Ziggy Hoods is an example . I just hope he has established a finess basis on which to build on the next 4 weeks and the rest of the year. This kid is possibly the most talented running back on the team and if his discipline & fitness is in place he could be a major contribitor. I am anxious to see if he is ready to roll.

86WARD
07-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Send him to Ziggy's Gym...

ALLD
07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
He needs to focus on the "push-aways". That is push away from the buffet.

TMC
07-03-2012, 08:52 AM
He stated he reported at 240 last season and was 20 pounds lighter, so it can be inferred he is in the 220 range, which is a good weight for him.

SMR
07-03-2012, 10:07 AM
He stated he reported at 240 last season and was 20 pounds lighter, so it can be inferred he is in the 220 range, which is a good weight for him.

Gosh, I hope that's true!

steeldevil
07-03-2012, 08:30 PM
I think we heard this last offseason...

This is his last year to prove himself I would bet. And he has a great opprotunity to with Mendy out.

The Duke
07-03-2012, 10:15 PM
If he's not at least the main backup to Redman he's a dissapointment

I love Rainey and Batch but they are just role players, Dwyer has the skills to be a starter at the very least

GBMelBlount
07-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Perhaps losing the weight is an indication that he is already in decent shape.

With good diet, supplementation and rest it is possible to make very significant strength gains in only 1 month of intense workouts....especially when you are that young.

salamander
07-04-2012, 01:24 PM
It feels like we heard this last year too...

TMC
07-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Perhaps losing the weight is an indication that he is already in decent shape.

With good diet, supplementation and rest it is possible to make very significant strength gains in only 1 month of intense workouts....especially when you are that young.

Maybe. It is a step in the right direction. He came in as a rookie out of shape and it was pointed out by the coaches. Then, last year, he could not even complete the run test and some stated he looked like a nose tackle. This has to help him.