PDA

View Full Version : It's time to raise FS's blood pressure, so I present. . . Power Rankings!

Craic
06-26-2012, 09:19 PM
The first ESPN Power-ranking for the 2012 season!

Steelers are rated 8th in the BCS - er, ESPN Power rankings!

(Sorry, FS. Saw them over at ESPN, and realized after a search that they weren't posted here).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

fansince'76
06-26-2012, 09:21 PM
:chuckle:

Shoes
06-26-2012, 09:30 PM
:chuckle:

:chuckle: :chuckle:

steelerdude15
06-26-2012, 09:39 PM
O FS, where are you? :chuckle:

But in all seriousness, these rankings prove that ESPN is horrible at analyzing all sports. They always put the team with the best record as number one and in this case, the Giants as the number one team since they won the Super Bowl. However, they were inconsistent for most of season and peaked at the right time. If I had to put any team as the number one team, it would have been the 49ers who IMO had the best season in the NFL and pretty much outplayed each team they faced. They had the best overall team last year with a great offense, great defense, and great special teams. Alex Smith had his best season, the defense led the NFL in turnovers while also stopping must of their opponents in every way possible. I'll elaborate further on ESPN's rankings from last year. When we beat the Patriots, we were ranked as the best team and then, a week later, when we were defeated by the Ravens, they were ranked the number one team. If anyone had noticed, all three teams had the best record in the AFC at the time of their victory. However, the Patriots' defense struggled all season and was one of the worst and both the Steelers and Ravens were inconsistent all year. The Texans on the other hand, also played lights out defensively and offensively. Again, the Packers were the number one team for majority of the season, if not all of it when the 49ers should have been rated number one. Once again, the Packers were another team with a great offense, but horrible defense that nearly cost them a few games. I believe that the Saints were the number two team of the NFC must of year. They too had a great offense, but no defense. My argument is that while ESPN ranks their number one teams by their record, the teams should be ranked by their overall play. If I were to do these rankings, here would be my top ten:

1. 49ers
2. Texans
3. Ravens
4. Packers
5. Patriots
6. Saints
7. Lions
8. Steelers
9. Falcons
10. Bengals

Pristas
06-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Awesome, we made #8 twice! Ha!

I wish we were marked lower, just as extra motivation. Put Denver and the JETS ahead of us and lets make it interesting.

shutdown
06-27-2012, 11:43 AM
I would not rank the Lions higher than the Steelers.

Last season the Lions were pretty much the Bengals of the NFC. Beat the teams they were suppose to but never really competed against the more legit teams.

Psycho Ward 86
06-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Sounds about right to me.

The Duke
06-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Awesome, we made #8 twice! Ha!

I wish we were marked lower, just as extra motivation. Put Denver and the JETS ahead of us and lets make it interesting.

Agree

make it happen ESPN!

steelerdude15
06-27-2012, 05:50 PM
I would not rank the Lions higher than the Steelers.

Last season the Lions were pretty much the Bengals of the NFC. Beat the teams they were suppose to but never really competed against the more legit teams.

Even though the Lions had a horrible running game, they weren't as inconsistent as we were. That's why I placed them over us.

Count Steeler
06-27-2012, 05:59 PM
All I know is that we all start at 0-0 and there will be only 1 team standing come Feb. If we are not there in Feb, I don't really care where we are "ranked".

Let the games begin. PLEASE!

BigNastyDefense
06-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Rankings don't matter, ESPN doesn't choose who makes the playoffs or plays in the Super Bowl.

SteelGhost
06-27-2012, 07:56 PM
All I know is that we all start at 0-0 and there will be only 1 team standing come Feb. If we are not there in Feb, I don't really care where we are "ranked".

Let the games begin. PLEASE!

Hey CS, please stop making sense :chuckle:

shutdown
06-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Even though the Lions had a horrible running game, they weren't as inconsistent as we were. That's why I placed them over us.

As inconsistent as we were? What does that even mean?

Fact still remains, the Lions, just like the Bengals, won a bunch of games but defeated no real playoff contending team. When they played the Packers, when they played the 49ers, when they played Saints, and when they played the Falcons they lost.

Just like the Bengals. When either team went up against elite talent, they sucked. So you might as well put the Bengals above us too then...

TMC
06-28-2012, 09:06 AM
I think the scariest team out there right now is the Packers. If they get the defense to begin to play anywhere near that offense, they are just brutal. They averaged 35 points per game on offense last year. The problem was, the defense allowed 22 and was the worst in the NFL in yards allowed. If they can get the defense straightened out, they are easily the #1 team.

And, I cannot wrap my head around all the love of the Ravens right now. Suggs had 14 sacks last year and no other player had more than 6. I realize they have some young talent on defense, but they lost Johnson and now Suggs, the two starting OLBs. Johnson was vastly underrated and I even underrated him too often. They also lost Redding. At LDE, it will likely be McPhee, but I do not know how he holds up against the run. It could be Art Jones on run downs. Kruger will take Johnson's spot. I think that means you test the right side with the run. Also not sold on Upshaw as being all that. I just think that defense will struggle some. On offense, it will be interesting to see if the line continues to play well with the loss of Grubbs, issues with McKinnie (reportedly around 365-375 but losing weight) and the age of Birk. Lot of iffy things there as well and will Rice/Flacco be distracted by contract issues? Hard for me to keep them in the top 5.

If I ranked the teams now, I would go:
1. Packers
2. Patriots
3. 49ers
4. Giants
5. Saints

steelerdude15
06-28-2012, 01:24 PM
As inconsistent as we were? What does that even mean?

Fact still remains, the Lions, just like the Bengals, won a bunch of games but defeated no real playoff contending team. When they played the Packers, when they played the 49ers, when they played Saints, and when they played the Falcons they lost.

Just like the Bengals. When either team went up against elite talent, they sucked. So you might as well put the Bengals above us too then...

Do you not remember how inconsistent the team was this past year? One week they were blowing their opponent out of the water, the next week they were either getting killed or where won. Like the Chiefs and Browns games. The Steelers were horrible in both games, but barely won. Then they were great against the Titans and Seahawks. To continue further, they were destroyed by the Ravens in week one and then beat the Seahawks 24-0 the next week. That is inconsistency.

Butch
06-29-2012, 05:54 AM
Steelerdude... you have the saints ranked #6??? Did you factor in the suspensions and unless I missed it they still don't have brees???

Moose
06-29-2012, 07:25 AM
ESPN and ALL other sport shows, articles, etc., are bufoons !! These so called sports writer's are just as blind as all of us are as far as what team is what. No one will have any idea what a team looks like until after training camp and the beginning of the season. Have patience my friends, it will all begin soon enough. Go Steeler's !!

X-Terminator
06-29-2012, 08:19 AM
I think the scariest team out there right now is the Packers. If they get the defense to begin to play anywhere near that offense, they are just brutal. They averaged 35 points per game on offense last year. The problem was, the defense allowed 22 and was the worst in the NFL in yards allowed. If they can get the defense straightened out, they are easily the #1 team.

And, I cannot wrap my head around all the love of the Ravens right now. Suggs had 14 sacks last year and no other player had more than 6. I realize they have some young talent on defense, but they lost Johnson and now Suggs, the two starting OLBs. Johnson was vastly underrated and I even underrated him too often. They also lost Redding. At LDE, it will likely be McPhee, but I do not know how he holds up against the run. It could be Art Jones on run downs. Kruger will take Johnson's spot. I think that means you test the right side with the run. Also not sold on Upshaw as being all that. I just think that defense will struggle some. On offense, it will be interesting to see if the line continues to play well with the loss of Grubbs, issues with McKinnie (reportedly around 365-375 but losing weight) and the age of Birk. Lot of iffy things there as well and will Rice/Flacco be distracted by contract issues? Hard for me to keep them in the top 5.

1. Packers
2. Patriots
3. 49ers
4. Giants
5. Saints

Only one team from the AFC. Balance of power switching back to the NFC?

steelerdude15
06-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Steelerdude... you have the saints ranked #6??? Did you factor in the suspensions and unless I missed it they still don't have brees???
I based my ratings off of last years performances. I didnt think of the suspension when I did my rankings.

TMC
06-30-2012, 12:43 PM

Hard to state where the balance of power sits this year, but yeah, I think last year it is easy to state the balance of power was in the NFC. The Giants came out of no where to win it all, but the Packers were 15-1. The 49ers were strong. The Saints are dangerous. I think each division winner in the NFC is powerful, not so much in the AFC. I mean, look at the North, both the Steelers and Ravens have some big questions. The AFC West is not powerful. The South has Houston, but I just do not know if they are there yet due to injuries and how it effects their offense (especially at QB).

Until the top teams in the AFC return to being dominant in their own divisions, I would state the balance has shifted.

fansince'76
06-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Balance of power switching back to the NFC?

I think so. 4 of the last 5 SBs have been won by the NFC representative.

Wallace108
06-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Oooh, I have to get in on this. I'm pretty good at raising FS's blood pressure. :heh:

I think the balance of power has definitely switched back to the NFC. When you think of AFC powerhouses right now, you've got the Steelers, Patriots, and Ravens. There's a drop off after that. And I believe the Ravens are on a downward trajectory. I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish third in the North this year. Good thing they've got the Browns to cushion their fall.

GBMelBlount
06-30-2012, 04:33 PM

1. Packers
2. Patriots
3. 49ers
4. Giants
5. Saints

Agreed. The pat's & Packers were smart to stock up with six defensive picks each imo.

However we addressed our only serious weakness with our first two picks of the draft....

...and if DeCastro and Adams are strong out of the gate I put us in the top three...