PDA

View Full Version : Debating Troy Polamalu's Place in Pittsburgh Steelers History

polamalubeast
06-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Not a year goes by without the accolades for Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu. He, along with Baltimore's Ed Reed, has been called the best safety of his generation, one of the most dynamic players in the league's history and many other fine things.

But how does Polamalu, who's been with the Steelers since they traded up to draft him in 2003, fit into the history of his own team? While he is most certainly the best defensive back the team has had recently, is he the best ever?

To figure that out, we have to take a little trip down memory lane and look at the other safeties and even defensive backs that have been on the team throughout the years.

Let's start with some vitals on Polamalu. He's been to seven Pro Bowls in nine seasons, won two Super Bowls and has been an All-Pro five times. He's made 607 tackles, nine sacks and 29 interceptions.

read more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1231706-debating-troy-polamalus-place-in-steelers-history

fansince'76
06-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Uh, no mention of Mel Blount? They only instituted the 5-yard chuck rule because of him.

st33lersguy
06-22-2012, 02:48 PM
I say Polamalu is the best safety and the third best DB (behind Blount and Woodson) in Steelers history.

polamalubeast
06-22-2012, 02:50 PM
In nfl network, Polamalu has been ranked as the 7th best player in the history of the Steelers

tihmtahm
06-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Statistics don't say when some of his big plays came either. Some of those infrequent INT's came at a critical point and changed the game. Who can ever forget the "Immaculate Interception"? Wasn't he about 10 yards from that ball when he dove and caught that barely above the tip of the grass? How many times has he disrupted a play in the backfield from 12-20 yards from the spot of the ball?

And I agree with fansince'76... Blount made them change the rules... sometimes the stats don't tell the whole story.

SteelGhost
06-22-2012, 05:34 PM
I say Polamalu is the best safety and the third best DB (behind Blount and Woodson) in Steelers history.

Exactly what I was thinking.

SCSTILLER
06-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Exactly what I was thinking.

I will third......well....that thinking.

I think that the best Steelers secondary of all times would be Woodson and Blount at CB's, and Lake and Polamalu at S. I beleive that Lake was a SS like Troy but the way he made the transition to CB in the injury riddled year (and made the Pro Bowl) makes me think that he could easily be a FS.

Michael
06-23-2012, 01:43 PM
I M O Troy is clearly the best defenisve back in Steelers history. His overall play is incredible. No D B approaches his versatility . He changes the way an offense prepares for the Steelers. He changes the momentum of games. I think the better debate is who is the second best Woodson or Blount. I give the edge to Woodson.

Troy is in the argument as the best defensive player along with Joe Greene, Jack Lambert and Jack Ham. I will say that if Troy played for the Steel Curtain we would have a few more Super Bowls.

Craic
06-23-2012, 05:49 PM
I think the larger question however, doesn't have anything to do with stats. IMO, it's how much each was asked to contribute to the team, and how did they function without the players. Rod Woodson was an unbelievable CB, and made QB's change the way they played the Steelers. However, the one time the Steelers went to the SB, it was when Rod was out for the season (minus the SB). Mel Blount was great, but he was not the first thing a QB focused on when a play started.

IMO, Troy makes QB's change the way they play the Steelers. If he's out, our win loss percentage dips tremendously. I admit, some of that could be scheming, but all in all, I think he has the most effect on his generation of the Steelers of any of the three being discussed here.

The more interesting question is, what would a defense with Blount, Woodson, and Polamalu look like?

86WARD
06-23-2012, 07:56 PM

agree

BigNastyDefense
06-24-2012, 04:49 PM

I'd say that's right!

zulater
06-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Boy talk about a hard question. I go with 3 way tie! :lol: Seriously they were all impact players, impact of the type you usually don't get from a guy in the secondary. But at the end of the day if you put a gun to my head and made me rank them I'd go Troy, Rod, and then Mel. The reason being the defense never revolved around Mel. Be it Mean Joe or Lambert, the focal point of the defense was elsewhere. With Rod, what a great talent. But again while he was strong against the run for a corner, he didn't dictate game plans against the run. Troy does both. He gets in a OC and QB's head like no defensive player ever. So Troy's the best as per my opinion.

BigNastyDefense
06-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Boy talk about a hard question. I go with 3 way tie! :lol: Seriously they were all impact players, impact of the type you usually don't get from a guy in the secondary. But at the end of the day if you put a gun to my head and made me rank them I'd go Troy, Rod, and then Mel. The reason being the defense never revolved around Mel. Be it Mean Joe or Lambert, the focal point of the defense was elsewhere. With Rod, what a great talent. But again while he was strong against the run for a corner, he didn't dictate game plans against the run. Troy does both. He gets in a OC and QB's head like no defensive player ever. So Troy's the best as per my opinion.

That's a great way to look at it Zu.

tube517
06-24-2012, 08:26 PM
In the America's Game series, there was something Mike Wagner said that was telling. He said some games he wouldn't make any plays. Because the front four and the LBs were so dominant.

However Mel Blount was such a physical beast compared to the WRs of the 70s he would dominate them. Troy is more physically gifted than Rod and Mel.

Tough choices.

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk 2

BigNastyDefense
06-24-2012, 09:20 PM
The only other safety that I feel really compares to Polamalu would be Ronnie Lott.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Uh, no mention of Mel Blount? They only instituted the 5-yard chuck rule because of him.

The guy that wrote the article on Bleachereport wasnt born yet when Mel Blount played....you expect him to write about him when he doesnt know who he is?? You are lucky he even knows about Rod Woodson from the old Steeler hilights.