PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' summer of discontent

LLT
07-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Steelers' summer of discontent
By: Andrew Chiapazzi
Beaver County Times
Thursday July 15, 2010 11:44 PM

AMBRIDGE — Even before the Pittsburgh Steelers’ off-season became littered with distractions, this was bound to be an unusual couple of months for Kevin Colbert.

Ongoing labor headaches and the first year without a salary cap since 1993 meant this off-season was destined to be different for the Steelers’ director of football operations. Couple the ongoing labor headaches and contract restrictions with the desire to rebound after a disappointing 9-7 season and with the off-field distractions, and it’s easy to understand why Colbert and the rest of the Steelers are ready for training camp to begin on July 30.

“I think we’re all excited to start the season. We know we have a huge challenge ahead of us,” Colbert said after speaking to 200 youth football players Thursday at the Homeboys Football Camp at Ambridge High School.

“We didn’t have the type of off-season that we’re proud of and we’re anxious to get back on the field and have a team that competes for a championship and have a team that our fans can be proud to call their team.”

Colbert was invited to speak at the camp by founder Tyrone Dixon, an Aliquippa native and Center High graduate. Dixon and Colbert have known each other since 1993, when Colbert met him through family and coaching ties at James Madison University.

“I consider him a player off the field,” Dixon said. “He’s a guy from an administrative point of view who can come in and say, ‘Hey, this is what it takes to be successful.’ ”

As Colbert worked this off-season to fill holes and address concerns, new issues popped up, ranging from Ben Roethlisberger’s suspension to tackle Willie Colon tearing his Achilles’ tendon in June workouts. Colbert said the team is still exploring options at filling the hole left by Colon. Internal options could be free-agent acquisition Jonathan Scott and former fourth-round draft pick Tony Hills, while external options could include players who become available at some point during training camp.

“It’s wide open,” he said. “We have a lot of mix-and-match options and a lot of competition. Who that five will be and where they line up, Coach Tomlin and his staff will figure out during camp.”

Other contracts are also an issue, including Colbert’s own deal with the team. Colbert is in the final year of his contract, and he politely declined comment on reports he was expected to receive an extension before camp began.

In the meantime, Colbert is negotiating with the team’s two remaining unsigned draft picks — first rounder Marquis Pouncey and second round pick Jason Worilds.

“We still have fifteen days to go,” Colbert said of those negotiations. “We don’t anticipate any issues.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2010/july/15/steelers-summer-of-discontent.html

Devilsdancefloor
07-16-2010, 07:48 AM
well i hope he gets his extension soon, so there is no rumors about him leaving lol.

MasterOfPuppets
07-16-2010, 12:56 PM
well i hope he gets his extension soon, so there is no rumors about him leaving lol.

didn't you hear ? when cowher takes the cleveland job, colbert is goin with him ...:noidea:

HometownGal
07-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Kevin Colbert has been a God-send to this franchise and I'm really hoping the Steelers can get him signed up long term very soon. :pray: