PDA

View Full Version : Cosell Talks: Re-Examining Roethlisberger

vader29
06-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Good article!

It’s interesting how NFL quarterback evaluation and perception work. If you win a Super Bowl early in your career, you are classified a “winner,” and it is left at that, with nothing more needed to be said. Very often, continuing (and realistic) evaluation diminishes, or even ceases, because what more need a quarterback do than win a Super Bowl?

This brings me to Ben Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger, the third quarterback selected in the 2004 NFL Draft, after Eli Manning and Philip Rivers, started his first NFL game in late September of his rookie season. He did not lose a regular season start that season. He followed that in 2005 with nine wins in his 12 starts, culminating in four playoff wins and a Super Bowl championship. If you include the 2004 and 2005 postseason, Roethlisberger won 27 of his first 31 NFL starts.

Read more: http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/06/19/cosell-talks-the-ever-improving-ben-roethlisberger/?module=HP11_content_stream

polamalubeast
06-19-2012, 01:44 PM
The first two years of Roethlisberger were unbelievable...A record of 27-4 including the playoffs. His record of 13-0 in his rookie season will never be beaten.

His record of 80-33 is currently one of the best in history....And his stats are very good

Devilsdancefloor
06-19-2012, 01:46 PM
this was a real good read!

ALLD
06-19-2012, 01:49 PM
He does not receive the credit he deserves because most of the media despises the Steelers. It was a fantastic rookie season and none of the talking heads ever use it as comparison during the draft. They always say something stupid and hype up the next Matt Leinart.

NJarhead
06-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Great article and interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

zulater
06-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Cosell does a tremendous job breaking down films. And I'm not just saying that because of this pro Ben article. His work is consistently worth reading, watching or listening to.

Craic
06-19-2012, 06:09 PM
I was pretty impressed with the article. I thought it was a very fair breakdown.

SteelerEmpire
06-19-2012, 06:34 PM
I can see plays breaking down from time to time because of unfamiliarity with Haley's play book -either caused by one of the receivers, or by Ben... he had just gotten comfortable with Arian's style of coaching. So we may have not seen the last of the "sandlot" football of Big Ben.

BigNastyDefense
06-19-2012, 07:25 PM
I can see plays breaking down from time to time because of unfamiliarity with Haley's play book -either caused by one of the receivers, or by Ben... he had just gotten comfortable with Arian's style of coaching. So we may have not seen the last of the "sandlot" football of Big Ben.

That's for sure. Plays break down no matter what the team. When it happens to an offense run by Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, they throw the ball away. Ben Roethlisberger scrambles and plays that "sandlot" football and makes something happen.

I want him to throw the ball away more often, but don't get me wrong, I want him to TRY to extend plays. However, there comes a point where you're either going to take an unnecessary big hit or turn the ball over. He needs to learn this and do this.

SMR
06-19-2012, 07:58 PM
That's for sure. Plays break down no matter what the team. When it happens to an offense run by Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, they throw the ball away. Ben Roethlisberger scrambles and plays that "sandlot" football and makes something happen.

I want him to throw the ball away more often, but don't get me wrong, I want him to TRY to extend plays. However, there comes a point where you're either going to take an unnecessary big hit or turn the ball over. He needs to learn this and do this.

Ditto.

SteelGhost
06-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Pretty impressive article, thanks for sharing ! :applaudit:

Iron Steeler
06-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Still at needs improvement on the long ball strength ...

zulater
06-19-2012, 08:48 PM

Not going to happen. He's a decent deep ball thrower, not nearly as bad as some seem to think. But he'll never be elite in this category. I think I heard Peyton Manning say if you can complete 25% of your deep passes (40+ yard) you're doing something.

Craic
06-20-2012, 12:48 AM

I used to think that too. However, when he came back from is 4 game suspension a couple years ago, he was throwing the long ball very well. The difference? IMO, it's his mechanics, not his arm strength. When he steps into the throw, he has one of the strongest deep balls out there. When he doesn't, then deep ball hangs in the air.

tube517
06-20-2012, 09:34 AM
I used to think that too. However, when he came back from is 4 game suspension a couple years ago, he was throwing the long ball very well. The difference? IMO, it's his mechanics, not his arm strength. When he steps into the throw, he has one of the strongest deep balls out there. When he doesn't, then deep ball hangs in the air.

That QB coach George Whitfield made a difference during the suspension

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk 2

tihmtahm
06-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Great article... On zulater's advice, I might start paying attention to Cosell. Thanks!

Austin87
06-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Very good article! Thanks for posting.

steelerdude15
06-20-2012, 05:41 PM
This was a great article and was spot on. His ability to read defenses before the snap has greatly improved and so has his pocket presence. Now that we have a much better offensive line, he can play better as well.

Count Steeler
06-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Pretty scary to see what a healthy, mature, grounded, PROTECTED, Ben is going to do. He has weapons en masse, he has the potential of a bad ass O Line and he has a new coach to stretch him and push him. This year may not fall to the Steelers, (might take a season to gel) but they should certainly be favorites for the SB next season.

SteelGhost
06-20-2012, 08:12 PM

Agreed. I hope the re-vamped OL helps him, when he has time he throws nice deep balls.