PDA

View Full Version : It'd be tougher to replace Steelers' Hampton

polamalubeast
06-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he anticipates nose tackle Casey Hampton and running back Rashard Mendenhall to miss the start of the regular season.

"My guess is they'll open the season on PUP (Physically Unable to Perform list)," Colbert said. “You’ve got to remember, both of those injuries happened late in the year.”

While this is no surprise because both had surgeries to repair torn ACLs in January, Hampton said last week that he was still targeting to play in the season opener.

If a player is placed on PUP to start training camp and remains there to start the season, he is required to miss the first six weeks. He is able to return during a three-week window of Weeks 7-10.

If Hampton and Mendenhall are both sidelined to begin the season, it will be tougher for the Steelers to replace Hampton. In the three years before Hampton joined the Steelers, their run defense ranked 13th, 26th and 12th. In the first two seasons with Hampton, Pittsburgh's run defense ranked No. 1. In fact, in 11 years with Hampton, the Steelers' run defense has ranked in the top three in the league nine times.

Pittsburgh is expected to replace Hampton with either backup Steve McLendon or rookie fourth-round pick Alameda Ta'amu. Both will get tested in those first five games which features running backs: Denver's Willis McGahee, New York Jets' Shonn Greene, Oakland's Darren McFadden, Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy and Tennessee's Chris Johnson.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/49868/itd-be-tougher-to-replace-steelers-hampton

LLT
06-18-2012, 02:15 PM
.....it will be tougher for the Steelers to replace Hampton. In the three years before Hampton joined the Steelers, their run defense ranked 13th, 26th and 12th. In the first two seasons with Hampton, Pittsburgh's run defense ranked No. 1. In fact, in 11 years with Hampton, the Steelers' run defense has ranked in the top three in the league nine times.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/49868/itd-be-tougher-to-replace-steelers-hampton

BUT...lets look at some of those seasons the writer mentioned.

2001: #1 overall defense and #1 rush defense......Casey missed 5 games

2004: #1 overall defense and #1 rush defense......Casey missed 10 games

2008: #1 overall defense and #2 rush defense......Casey missed 3 games

The Steelers stellar defense is more a product of scheme, coaching, and insistance on execution then it is on any ONE player. Casey is a beast and I appreciate him very much, but I have every confidence in the world on our ability to draft suitable replacements and to plug them into our defense with the RIGHT mindset.

ALLD
06-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Hampton is still expected to start at the beginning of the season in the cafeteria.

salamander
06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Hampton is still expected to start at the beginning of the line in the cafeteria.

Fixed it for ya. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
06-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Hampton showed signs of age last year and at this point is past his prime. Frankly, I am confident that we can still win without both Mendenhall and Hampton

steeldawg
06-18-2012, 05:18 PM
kinda hoping hampton does not make it back for the opener.

vasteeler
06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
im still a little surprised that big snack wasnt cut

Mistah Q
06-18-2012, 05:58 PM
So we'll get McLendon or Ta'amu. Our defensive ends and our cornerback unit are both poised for big years and we'll survive the growing pains. I fully expect Ta'amu to be entrenched as our starting nose tackle by the beginning of next year's season, and possibly even earlier. McLendon will provide us with an invaluable versatile backup and changeup presence from that point. Sound familiar?

It would be a real stretch to call Hamp overrated, he was definiteliy great in his career, but you can't overlook the value that Hoke gave us over the years either. Hoke was such a solid fill-in that we don't even realize how much time Hampton actually missed.

GBMelBlount
06-18-2012, 07:30 PM

The Steelers stellar defense is more a product of scheme, coaching, and insistance on execution then it is on any ONE player.

Casey is a beast and I appreciate him very much, but I have every confidence in the world on our ability to draft suitable replacements and to plug them into our defense with the RIGHT mindset.

I do too. McClendon did well when filling in last year and Taamu is physically (size and strength) very similar to Hampton.

Steeldude
06-19-2012, 05:56 AM

The Steelers stellar defense is more a product of scheme, coaching, and insistance on execution then it is on any ONE player. Casey is a beast and I appreciate him very much, but I have every confidence in the world on our ability to draft suitable replacements and to plug them into our defense with the RIGHT mindset.

Also, the run defense improved when Hampton went down in 2004. IMO, Hampton was hurting the Steelers more than helping the last few years.

stillers4me
06-19-2012, 07:19 AM
They say that Hamp has been out there acting like a coach to the young guys. That makes him worth his weight in gold.

Cha-ching! :heh:

LLT
06-19-2012, 07:45 AM
They say that amp has been out there acting like a coach to the young guys. That makes him worth his weight in gold.

Cha-ching! :heh:

:lol:

zulater
06-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Also, the run defense improved when Hampton went down in 2004. IMO, Hampton was hurting the Steelers more than helping the last few years.

If that were true I'm guessing coach LeBeau wouldn't have been playing him. But of course he only has access to game film and knows what defense is called on every play and what every players assignment is for that play. So I'm sure you're right.

LLT
06-19-2012, 08:26 AM

Well...it might not be as simple as that. Most defenses do get better as the season progresses (unless several key players go down.)

Also keep in mind that Hampton went down in week 6. We had our bye week in week 7. We not only came back rested, but we had already played all three of our division rivals and SHOULD have been better prepared for them in the second meeting.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-19-2012, 09:31 AM

Despite the Sapp haters not admitting the Steelers were getting Older and slower.....I think the diminishing play(and injuries) of Hampton and Farrior up the middle of the defense made it easier for teams to run on the Steelers.

NJarhead
06-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Pittsburgh is expected to replace Hampton with either backup Steve McLendon or rookie fourth-round pick Alameda Ta'amu. Both will get tested in those first five games which features running backs: Denver's Willis McGahee, New York Jets' Shonn Greene, Oakland's Darren McFadden, Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy and Tennessee's Chris Johnson.

Ooof! The challenge gets tougher each week. However, I am not worried about our Defense.

TMC
06-22-2012, 10:01 AM
The thing I think Hampton does much better than McClendon (and Ta'amu did in college) is hold his position and not get moved around. Hampton is one of those rare guys that when he sticks his feet, he just sinks into the ground and he does not move until he gets damned good and ready. When he moves down the line, he moves down the line where he wants to go. If it is straight down the line or moving towards the ball in the backfield, he just takes his man with him for the ride. It is pretty rare. He can win more than he loses and a DT that wins a couple times a game is considered good. Hoke was so good because he did not get moved around as much and did a nice job of slipping off the blocker and disrupting in the backfield, more of a 4-3 DT than a pure NT. Never really drew that double but was good enough to beat most single guys.

I think McClendon is more like Hoke. He shows some power, but I just do not see him drawing that double. Ta'amu can, and has in college. The issue that he has to work to overcome is getting his pads up and letting the blocker into his chest. When he does that, he gets moved around. He will also give ground moving to the edges. But, we have excellent defensive coaches and Mitchell is as good as they come. Ta'amu has the frame. I fully expect Mitchell to tear him down, get him right, and him to be a pretty good player. It may take some time and he won't be Big Snack right out the box, but he has the physical tools to get there.

I think we could see some growing pains on defense while there are some transitions being made, especially at NT and LILB. Might see it at corner too, but we were suspect there at times anyway.

The thing is, I think the offense will pick up some of that slack. While the line has some guys moving around, I feel pretty good about Pouncey, Colon, and Gilbert (depending on where they end up). I always liked Foster, even though he has some limitations in his game. If DeCastro plays anything like he did in college, that gives 4 solid positions. With the skill players and change in OC (I like Haley more than Arians), I think this offense will put up more points, so the defense does not need to be as stifling.

Psycho Ward 86
06-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Ooof! The challenge gets tougher each week. However, I am not worried about our Defense.

That would be really foolish to not be concerned about the defense. We can be as optimistic about all the question marks as we want, but that's what most people on this board are going to want to do as biased steeler fans. The #2 cornerback spot is vital. Lewis was great as a nickel, but so was William Gay and look how he fared his first full year as a starter. Im rooting for Lewis, Brown, and Allen, but the reality is that the 2 rookeis havent played much AT ALL. With all the praise we throw at Brown and Allen, people outside the Steeler fanbase would think that they've actually played a serious number of snaps in the defense. They havent. If anything, the only thing they have legitimately proven thus far is that they are very good special teams gunner. We know so little about the starting potential of the two rookies, but for some reason we pretend its a given.
The 2nd ILB position. Keith Butler already said in his press conference during/after the draft that rookies never start in his defense and that Foote looks to be the starter there. Timmons is a shoe in, we all know how much Butler gushes about him. But how confident can we be in Foote? His 1st stint here he was serviceable in most aspects but not asked to cover much. His lone year leaving us and joining the Lions, i do believe he was the most burned linebacker in pass coverage? (Steeldude had the statistics somewhere). He has played extensively for us, but barely started a quarter of the games this season. In this passing league, is he going to be able to keep up? Not to mention, who has the radio helmet, and who's calling the defense, Timmons or Foote? Transition, transition, transition.
Mclendon started one game. Against an abysmal Cardinals offensive line. Kevin had a crappy overall game but he still managed to toss 272 yards on us. That one game is a crappy barometer for starting potential, not sure why its so commonly viewed as a friendly transition. Assuming he is successful, what's to say he doesnt go down? When's the last time a defensive lineman started the whole season or almost the whole season their rookie year? Remember, when the cardinals played the huskies last year, Taamu was annihilated virtually every play one on one vs DeCastro. Decastro is a great talent, but what does that say about Taamu? He cant be a successful heir apparent if he's getting one upped on 1 on 1 blocks.