PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Tourism agency wants to host a Pittsburgh Super Bowl

venom
07-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Joe McGrath, the president of Visit Pittsburgh, the region's official tourism agency, would like to work with the Rooney family on helping Pittsburgh follow New York/New Jersey's lead in hosting an outdoor Super Bowl according to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review.

McGrath said, "I'd be more than happy to put in a bid for it. I tried to convince the Steelers before they built the new stadium to put a dome on it. Frankly they said, "Our fans won't go for that." I said, "But we can get a Super Bowl." They said, "Eh, we get enough." ... But it does make a tremendous difference in our January. The hospitality community here lives and dies by the Steelers getting into the playoffs in January. We don't meet the seating requirements (for a Super Bowl). They can pack it in (at Heinz Field), and sometimes they bend it. Certainly the Rooneys and the Steelers' organization and those ins with the National Football League — it can happen. I wouldn't put it out of mind."

He added, "When you're talking about the Super Bowl — it's so expensive to attend, and it's all about corporate entertainment. It's what happens off the field as much as what happens on the field — not for the sports fans but the ones looking to be entertained. There are things that didn't exist 10 years ago — like heated tents — which make it more doable in a cold city like ours."

zulater
07-15-2010, 08:49 PM
I just want to host AFC title games. Keep the Super bowl where it's warm.

Stlrs4Life
07-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Would never happen. Heinz is too small.

salamander
07-15-2010, 10:28 PM

Is there a reason why they made it that 'small'? I could understand the scoreboard end being open, but they should've closed off the other end.

steelerdude15
07-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Nah, it would bring in great business and money, but Heinz doesn't hold too much people. Why not do it in DC, our nations capital?

xX-TSK-Xx
07-15-2010, 11:31 PM

I don't think size is as much an issue as is weather. The Super Bowl has been played at Ford's Field and the Glendale stadium which both seat less than Heinz Field does plus Ramound James in Tampa and Lucas Oil (which just won SB XLVI) have about the same capacity.

I think it will always be the February weather in Pittsburgh that keeps it from getting the Super Bowl. But atleast we get the Winter Classic. :thumbsup:

steelerdude15
07-15-2010, 11:37 PM
I don't think size is as much an issue as is weather. The Super Bowl has been played at Ford's Field and the Glendale stadium which both seat less than Heinz Field does plus Ramound James in Tampa and Lucas Oil (which just won SB XLVI) have about the same capacity.

I think it will always be the February weather in Pittsburgh that keeps it from getting the Super Bowl. But atleast we get the Winter Classic. :thumbsup:
Yeah, but our field is also one of the worst, that's something else we need to keep in mind.

Galax Steeler
07-16-2010, 03:29 AM
Is there a reason why they made it that 'small'? I could understand the scoreboard end being open, but they should've closed off the other end.

The other end is closed off.

http://s.novsport.com/content/Heinz%20Field.jpg

salamander
07-16-2010, 08:37 AM
The other end is closed off.

http://s.novsport.com/content/Heinz%20Field.jpg

I meant the two corners.

X-Terminator
07-16-2010, 08:50 AM

Money. The Steelers were trying to get public funding for Heinz and felt they'd get more support if they built a smaller stadium at a lower cost. Plus, I think they wanted to keep demand high so that they'd make the maximum amount of money they could. I feel they still should have pushed for a 75,000 seat stadium, even if it would have cost about $50 million more.

If they can hold it in New York, they can hold it here. The weather in February is unpredictable, but it's the same in NYC. They are also more prone to Nor'Easters than we are, so the likelihood of them being buried under a couple of feet of snow is much higher.

salamander
07-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Money. The Steelers were trying to get public funding for Heinz and felt they'd get more support if they built a smaller stadium at a lower cost. Plus, I think they wanted to keep demand high so that they'd make the maximum amount of money they could. I feel they still should have pushed for a 75,000 seat stadium, even if it would have cost about $50 million more.
\.

That makes sense. You would think with a team as popular as the Steelers, they would have pushed for more than a capacity of "just" 65,000.

HughC
07-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Let's be realistic - it's not happening.

Besides, if the Steelers are not in it that year, do you really want to witness an AFC rival winning the Super Bowl at Heinz?

BPS3akaWirels3
07-16-2010, 12:27 PM
The Stadium cost around $90 mil and Heinz gave $50 some mil for the naming..

Canadian Steeler Nation
07-17-2010, 06:11 AM
Hey were 6-1 on the road in SB's I say keep it rollin....

HometownGal
07-17-2010, 07:39 AM
It'll never happen. God forbid the fans who are used to warm weather and sun in the winter months and would travel here to watch a HF Super Bowl should have to sit out in frigid temps, wind and possibly snow - hell - they might turn into human ice sculptures. :heh:

I'd love to see it here but as has been previously stated, HF is way too small to accommodate a Super Bowl crowd.

SteelCityMan786
07-17-2010, 12:12 PM

The Scoreboard end is the open end.

Nah, it would bring in great business and money, but Heinz doesn't hold too much people. Why not do it in DC, our nations capital?

DC would make sense for something like maybe Super Bowl 50 though. Either go there, or LA. (LA wouldn't be a bad idea since that's the home of the first Super Bowl)

SMR
07-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Sorry, but for some odd reason, my gut is telling me that the SB will actually come to HF someday.