PDA

View Full Version : Kovacevic: Of Big Ben, big men, scatbacks

zulater
06-15-2012, 04:40 AM
Mini-thoughts, mini-observations of the Steelers' minicamp that concluded Thursday on the South Side ...

• For all the buzz about Big Ben's pending mini-Roethlisberger and the resultant change in his life, the best change I noticed over the three weeks of OTAs and minicamp was this: He pouted less with each passing day about Todd Haley's playbook.

Roethlisberger conceded Wednesday he initially was troubled by having to switch after eight years in the NFL, and his comment was telling: "That was it early on."

See the past tense?

Here's hoping he keeps it that way.

• Actual visible, audible signs of friction between Roethlisberger and Haley these past three weeks: Zero.

• The playbook won't take center stage until preseason, but the best early way to describe it is that it will be all things to all people. Expect Haley to show opponents a lot of different looks, formations, even personnel sets.

And expect that no one will love this more than Heath Miller. Haley loves to soften up the middle, and few in football do that better than No. 83.

"The more we spread the ball around and get everyone involved, the more difficult, in my mind, we would be to defend," Miller said. "I don't sit around and crave catching 100 balls. I just want to win."

That doesn't need to be mutually exclusive.

http://triblive.com/sports/1991975-74/haley-redman-steelers-issue-mike-mini-past-roethlisberger-weeks-minicamp

zulater
06-15-2012, 04:42 AM
Favorite guy to watch - and there wasn't a close second - was fifth-round scatback Chris Rainey. He's barely big enough to ride the Thunderbolt - 5-foot-9 - but blazes out of the Steelers' backfield like no one since Willie Parker.

Haley will find a way to use this weapon.

• Some of those plays could be screens, even mid-range passes. Rainey made a ridiculous one-handed grab Tuesday that looked like it might tear his shoulder from its socket.

http://triblive.com/sports/1991975-74/haley-redman-steelers-issue-mike-mini-past-roethlisberger-weeks-minicamp