PDA

View Full Version : Hampton Will Likely Finish Career Outside of Pittsburgh

polamalubeast
06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Casey Hampton is expecting to be ready for the start of the 2012 season. He is also hoping to play for a couple more seasons. Hampton’s contract is up after the 2012 season, however, which means he would have to sign a new contract to stay with the Steelers. With Hampton’s track record and ability he will demand at least $3-4 million. However, given the Steelers salary cap issues and Hampton’s age, he will turn 35 before the start of the 2012 season, it is unlikely that he will get a new deal in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers shy away from giving older players big time contracts. They have let multiple veterans walk via-free agency rather than give them a new contract. Joey Porter and Alan Faneca are a few recent examples. Hampton may have a few more years of playing time left, but history would say he only has one year left in Pittsburgh.

read more

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/hampton_will_likely_finish_career_outside_of_pitts burgh/11012645

LLT
06-14-2012, 12:57 PM
I would have to disagree with the author of that article.

By the end of this season...Hampton probably wont be able to start for our team....and I know of NO team that is willing to sign a 36 year old backup NT with bad knees to a long term contract. Odds are, he will put himself on the market and get few nibbles if any.

That takes nothing away from Hamptons exceptional career or what he meant to this team...its just more about being time to step down and enjoy retirement.

43Hitman
06-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Big Snack has had a great career. I hope he decides to retire a Steeler, but won't blame him if he thinks he as a few more years left.

LLT
06-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Big Snack has had a great career. I hope he decides to retire a Steeler, but won't blame him if he thinks he as a few more years left.

I would be very surprised if he has a few years left...or if teams are willing to give him a chance to prove that. I know its seems strange...but Hampton has only played two full seasons since 2003. I think that Hokes ability to competently fill in kept us from realizing how many games he missed.

Carolina Steelers
06-14-2012, 01:28 PM
I would be very surprised if he has a few years left...or if teams are willing to give him a chance to prove that. I know its seems strange...but Hampton has only played two full seasons since 2003. I think that Hokes ability to competently fill in kept us from realizing how many games he missed.

Didnt realize he only played 2 full seasons in almost a decade

LLT
06-14-2012, 02:07 PM

It really does say something about how much we took Hoke for granted.

steelreserve
06-14-2012, 03:27 PM
I don't think he gets any interest anywhere else unless he proves it on the field this year. I've been wrong before, but it doesn't look like he has much left in the tank.

I could still see us bringing him back for one more year, mostly if one of our other two guys suffers an injury or if Taamu isn't ready. But even then, not as a full-time starter, and not for $3-4M. We probably have space to offer him a couple mil, which is less than he's costing us now.

tube517
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
We have our future Casey (Ta'amu) and future Hoke (McClendon). I doubt Casey is kept.

43Hitman
06-14-2012, 04:27 PM

[/B]

Wow, I didn't realize that either. We've been fortunate to have such a stellar back-up in Hoke.

Count Steeler
06-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Sorry Casey, you should retire gracefully. You may not have a choice after TC.

ALLD
06-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Next stop is Phoenix.

SteelGhost
06-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Big Snack gave us great years and I thank him for that, BUT it's time to reload the DL and he's not healthy enough IMO

tihmtahm
06-17-2012, 10:52 PM
I think the Steelers should resign him as Coach Hampton.

Steeldude
06-18-2012, 12:12 AM
It really does say something about how much we took Hoke for granted.

IMO, Hoke should have been starting 4 years ago.