PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy doesn’t think James Harrison hit was a cheap shot

polamalubeast
06-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Steelers linebacker James Harrison was suspended for a game for the helmet-to-helmet that concussed Browns quarterback Colt McCoy last year, but McCoy has no hard feelings.

McCoy said on the Dan Patrick Show that he did not think Harrison’s hit was a cheap shot, and that Harrison was simply going after the quarterback aggressively, as he’s supposed to, while McCoy was scrambling.

“I’m outside the pocket,” McCoy said. “I’m trying to make a play.”

McCoy said he never heard from Harrison after the hit, but he isn’t bothered by that.

“He is an outstanding football player,” McCoy said of Harrison. “I think everyone will agree on that. He plays in our division, they’re a rival against us so I didn’t expect to hear from him.”

Although he doesn’t remember the hit, McCoy said he has watched it several times. And after seeing the replays, he’s not mad at Harrison. Which probably matters to Harrison not at all.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/08/colt-mccoy-doesnt-think-james-harrison-hit-was-a-cheap-shot/

GodfatherofSoul
06-08-2012, 10:59 AM
I expect any QB trying to play chicken with a linebacker to be obliterated. The ESPN talking heads and Goodell apologists can say whatever they want. I'm tired of seeing clown QBs and receivers running all over the field without fear.

Devilsdancefloor
06-08-2012, 11:01 AM
im glad he said something like this. props to him for sure, but then he sounded like he wanted james to call him to say sorry :noidea:

fansince'76
06-08-2012, 11:02 AM
As I recall, McCoy's father was also pissed about Shurmur sending him back into that game, not the hit by James.

Steeldude
06-08-2012, 11:32 AM
It wasn't even close to being dirty, cheap or illegal.

NJarhead
06-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Not sure what Colt will amount to, but I liked him coming out of college. I'm not surprised by his classy statements at all, but I will say this, the kid needs to shorten his memory. He seems to dwell on bad plays and won't even let a vet help him shake it off.

fansince'76
06-08-2012, 12:03 PM
It wasn't even close to being dirty, cheap or illegal.

Agreed, but it's quite telling that while Harrison was suspended for it, there were absolutely no repurcussions at all for Shurmur or the Browns organization for allowing a clearly concussed player to go back on the field. "Player safety" my ass. :coffee:

st33lersguy
06-08-2012, 02:43 PM
It wasn't a cheap shot, it was football. Hits like that have occurred on a regular basis since the game of football was invented, and up until the Goofdell era, all those hits were widely praised

Count Steeler
06-08-2012, 03:24 PM
I would go after McCoy as a backup. In our environment, once we get the shit cleaned off of him, he would do quite well as a sub for Ben.

steeldawg
06-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Im suprised he remembers the hit.

oneforthetoe
06-08-2012, 04:49 PM
This just in: Goodell suspends James Harrison for 3 games for Colt McCoy's comments.

NJarhead
06-11-2012, 08:04 AM
This just in: Goodell suspends James Harrison for 3 games for Colt McCoy's comments.

HAHA!

Animal Mother
06-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Agreed, but it's quite telling that while Harrison was suspended for it, there were absolutely no repurcussions at all for Shurmur or the Browns organization for allowing a clearly concussed player to go back on the field. "Player safety" my ass. :coffee:

This is the unbelievable hypocrisy that exists in the NFL today. Also, watching replays of that hit, I can't believe Colt didn't protect himself after the throw. I'm wondering if this stems from the fact that QB's these days are treated like fine china so they don't expect to take huge hits. They don't get hit in practice and there are a million rules set up to make sure they barely get hit in games. If he was a QB in the 80's or 90's, he would have known he was in a position to take a monster, legal hit and would have made a decision to either throw and protect himself or go to the ground in front of James to prevent the hit.

NCSteeler
06-11-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't know what the "norm" is but I would have called him and just said "hey I hope your feeling better, we'll see ya next time" something polite but short of apology.

steelreserve
06-11-2012, 02:05 PM
That play still makes me mad. If the QB doesn't want to get hit, that's why they have the rule about sliding. It improves my opinion of McCoy to see him deal with it this way.

stillers4me
06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Without seeing or hearing the actual interview, I can only assume that Mccoy was asked questions and he gave them the answers. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt about being a "whiner".