PDA

View Full Version : Ravens Limit Training Camp Autographs to Kids

venom
07-15-2010, 10:49 AM
In a move that is sure to upset an autograph hound or two, the Baltimore Ravens announced Monday that they are revising their autograph policy at this year's training camp. Citing safety as a concern, the team has decided players will only sign after their morning practice sessions, and just for those between the ages of six and 15.

"We have considered changing the way we do autograph signings for a few years," Ravens president Dick Cass said in a statement released to the media. "Our crowds for the morning practices have become so large that we've had safety situations with people pushing each other to try and get closer to the players. Often times, children would be put in difficult positions with the rush for autographs, especially from our most popular players."
As someone who has personally witnessed the "feeding frenzy" that exists when players approach large crowds with pen in hand, I applaud the move regardless of how unpopular it may be among the average training camp attendee. It's downright shameful the way "grown" men and women push and shove their way through groups of small children to get the signature of another man... no doubt on a piece of merchandise that often finds its way onto eBay within a matter of hours.
Granted there are those adults who do legitimately collect autographs, but there are other means of doing so without risking the well being of young kids. Of course some are going to argue that the Ravens are cutting off the fans who buy the tickets that pay the players' salaries. But anyone who has seen the way some people disregard the safety of others for something so relatively trivial should understand and support the move. Here's hoping the other 31 teams soon follow suit.

http://football.about.com/b/2010/07/14/ravens-limit-training-camp-autographs-to-kids.htm

tony hipchest
07-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Dick Cass? is the dudes name really Dick Cass?

very fitting. a dickass president of a dickass team.

BnG_Hevn
07-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I think that the age group is appropriate - let the youngsters in and keep the others out. I never understood the fascination with autographs anyway. They aren't worth anything monetarily so the older crowd doesn't need it.