PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu: Tebow ran an offense you don't think can work in the NFL

polamalubeast
06-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Steelers safety Troy Polamalu isn’t taking anything away from Tim Tebow or the Denver team that beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs, but five months later he’s still baffled that the offense the Broncos were running with Tebow at the helm was able to beat the Steelers.

Polamalu told Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports that he’s accustomed to playing against complex offenses in the NFL, and he never believed an offense as simplistic as the one Tebow ran in Denver could be as successful as that offense was in that game.

“It was an incredibly simple offense that you just don’t think can work in this league, but it worked for them with the kind of talent they had,” Polamalu said.

Polamalu said the Broncos’ offense became so predictable that it was actually unpredictable: The Steelers would be sure the Broncos weren’t going to run the same play over and over again because NFL offenses just don’t do that, and yet the Broncos did it.

“There’s no way they’re going to run that same route again,” Polamalu says he was thinking during the game. “As a safety, part of your job is to eliminate certain routes that you don’t think they’re going to run. I would line up and say, ‘They ran that the last time, there’s no way they’re going to run it again.’ Then they did. The next time, ‘There’s no way they’re going to run that again,’ then they did.”

read more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/07/polamalu-tebow-ran-an-offense-you-dont-think-can-work-in-the-nfl/

GodfatherofSoul
06-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Which is probably why Belicheck got to look like a genius the week after we lost.

Steeldude
06-08-2012, 11:33 AM
How did the Steelers not know it was going to be a completely generic and simple offense?

fansince'76
06-08-2012, 11:47 AM
There's no excuse for letting a scrub like Tebow do what he did in that game - under ANY circumstances. Not one of LeBeau's finer moments.

vasteeler
06-08-2012, 02:46 PM
There's no excuse for letting a scrub like Tebow do what he did in that game - under ANY circumstances. Not one of LeBeau's finer moments.

i think he went in over confident. he was probably laughing to himself " tebow ha ha ha, good luck kid ha ha ha"

polamalubeast
06-08-2012, 03:07 PM
i think he went in over confident. he was probably laughing to himself " tebow ha ha ha, good luck kid ha ha ha"

over confident...no

But the Steelers have had a dreadful 2nd quarter(20-0 for the Broncos)...The Steelers were better than the broncos in the first, 3rd and 4th quarter, but the 2nd quarter was ugly

No matter who we're playing, it's not easy to win on the road in the playoffs. In 2010, the Saints had lost against the 7-9 seahawks in playoffs

Steeldude
06-08-2012, 03:24 PM

Which makes it even worse. The Steelers should have learned this lesson decades ago. Sadly, it will happen again and again. The Steelers often play down to lesser opponents.

Steeldude
06-08-2012, 03:26 PM
In 2010, the Saints had lost against the 7-9 seahawks in playoffs

But the Seahawks had a QB. The Broncos had a RB playing QB.

polamalubeast
06-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Which makes it even worse. The Steelers should have learned this lesson decades ago. Sadly, it will happen again and again. The Steelers often play down to lesser opponents.

The Giants also have this problem.But the Steelers and Giants have won four of the last 7 Super Bowl

polamalubeast
06-08-2012, 03:29 PM
But the Seahawks had a QB. The Broncos had a RB playing QB.

The Broncos were 7-4 with Tebow, even if it was a RB! But I agree that this is a big fluke

Craic
06-08-2012, 06:23 PM
I still don't get the surprise - I mean, I understand that 9 times out of 10, we win that game. However, a few years ago, we had a team that couldn't move the ball on offense 20 yards until the last 6 minutes of the fourth quarter, and ended up winning the Superbowl. It wasn't because we had great talent or great strategy, it was because in the end, every team in the NFL has enough talent to beat any other team. That's what "any given Sunday" is all about. Moreover, at that level, desire to win, heart, belief that you will win, trumps talent and can almost, given the right occasions, equal strategy.

Denver had heart, a belief they could win, the desire to do it, and heart - and they had an excellent strategy. Stay within themselves and not get carried away with trying to make plays they can't make.

As Tomlin says, they don't award style points. They also don't award points for stats. Tebow and comp. put more points on the board than we did. He was the better QB that day because he led his team to victory.

I could care less whether he was a running QB or a passing QB.

slippy
06-09-2012, 08:06 AM
that loss could end up being a blessing; nothing like getting embarased to force your hand when it comes to a little belated housecleaning.

also, if the O puts up 14 instead of 6 after dominating the first quarter, i see a rather easy road win.

steelreserve
06-09-2012, 04:17 PM

What Polamalu said seems to match up with my impression of that game, which is that the defensive plan was not a bad one for stopping Tebow, but the defensive backs themselves kept getting caught by surprise. I've never seen so many guys wide open 40 yards down the field for no apparent reason.

I think what Lebeau did would usually be a sound strategy - completely overcommit the defense to stop the run and the short gimmicky shit, and dare Tebow to beat them with his arm because he IS such a scrub. Under ordinary circumstances, he probably would've underthrown all of those 40-yard bombs anyway. Just so happened that this was the one game where god boy could suddenly throw the ball straight.

polamalubeast
06-09-2012, 04:29 PM
With the same gameplan that the patriots have made ​​the week after against the broncos, Tebow would never have had a good game against the Steelers.

Even if Tebow's arm is bad, you must never underestimate a QB in this way