PDA

View Full Version : Looking into the 2013 Draft

Pages : [1] 2

steelerdude15
06-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Looking at the latest draft, the Steelers had one of the best drafts in the NFL. The Steelers addressed a few different positions that were in need with excellent players who I hope will make a major impact this upcoming season. With our current roster in mind, what position should the Steelers draft in the first round in the 2013 draft? I feel that were finally set at offensive line, but depending on the how Willie and the rookies play, we may have to go back to that position (which I hope doesn't happen and feel it won't). I would like to see Keenan and Steve can do as starters and feel they could make a positive impact for the Steelers this upcoming year. With a young offensive line, running backs, wide receivers, nose tackles expect for Casey, young corners, and most of our linebackers, what position is at need most? I'm thinking that since James, Ryan, and Troy are all getting older, it may be time to draft a top of the line safety or outside linebacker. What does everyone else think?

ShutDown24
06-07-2012, 11:40 PM
I did some very limited examining of the supposed top prospects for 2013 last week and couldn't get past more than a half hour of film. It's just too early to consider what athletes are going to be coveted. Until this college season passes, I think I'm going to have to ignore names - can't blame myself for trying to stay ahead of the game :chuckle:. But I know that's not really what you were discussing here.

As far as position specific, I think a lot has to due with the season at hand. Who knows what happens? Players could suffer career ending injuries, vets could come out washed up, a rookie could come out of nowhere and become a star... It's all up in the air. But as things stand I think we'd have to predict the defensive secondary as an area in need of some youth. Probably at free safety more than anywhere else in my opinion. Receiver will probably need to be addressed, and unless Sly or Spence prove me wrong, I think we're still going to need a big linebacker in the middle for early downs. Overall though, I have to imagine our needs won't be quite as dire as they were in this past April's draft.

steelerdude15
06-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I agree with everything you said. I hope our defense has another star added in the next draft.

Aussie_steeler
06-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Two major areas of need going into the 2013 draft

1. Outside linebacker to replace an aging James Harrison
2. Free Safety

Two players I would love to land would be

1. ILB Manti Te'o

or

2. ILB Shane Skov

Only problem is how do you utilise Timmons, Spence, Sylvester and one of the above 2?
I like Timmons a lot but I think a trio of Te'o / Skov, Spence and Sylvester would be a very formidable ILB corp.

Oh Crap - its already started.

ShutDown24
06-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Two major areas of need going into the 2013 draft

1. Outside linebacker to replace an aging James Harrison
2. Free Safety

Two players I would love to land would be

1. ILB Manti Te'o

or

2. ILB Shane Skov

Only problem is how do you utilise Timmons, Spence, Sylvester and one of the above 2?
I like Timmons a lot but I think a trio of Te'o / Skov, Spence and Sylvester would be a very formidable ILB corp.

Oh Crap - its already started.

Te'o is a popular man already. It seems like he is going to be held in high regard by many organizations. I know it's ridiculously early to say, but I'm thinking he may be out of our grasp.

I'm not ready to give up on Worilds/Carter as heirs to Harrison's throne. I really think Worilds could come on yet.

GBMelBlount
06-09-2012, 08:25 AM
I am certainly not a draftnik but I can say that judging by our perceived "needs" next year (I know it is early) I am incredibly pleased with this years draft. I do not think we could have done any better.

I am curious if we would be looking to draft someone "like" troy (who is a rarity) to build the defense around or if there is anyone we have out of the talented trio of defensive backs who could replace him.

Also, imagine how nice it would if Spence showed us he could be an early down ILB...

Lastly, does Spence have the physical traits (speed and athleticism) to possibly replace Troy if it made sense?

ShutDown24
06-09-2012, 08:33 AM
I am certainly not a draftnik but I can say that judging by our perceived "needs" next year (I know it is early) I am incredibly pleased with this years draft. I do not think we could have done any better.

I am curious if we would be looking to draft someone "like" troy (who is a rarity) to build the defense around or if there is anyone we have out of the talented trio of defensive backs who could replace him.

Also, imagine how nice it would if Spence showed us he could be an early down ILB...

Lastly, does Spence have the physical traits (speed and athleticism) to possibly replace Troy if it made sense?

Spence could probably play strong safety, but moving a linebacker into the backfield would be a process. I think if that was the plan when he was drafted we would know by now. Who knows though, if they try him inside and he is just too small an attempted position switch would be better than a release.

GBMelBlount
06-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Spence could probably play strong safety, but moving a linebacker into the backfield would be a process. I think if that was the plan when he was drafted we would know by now. Who knows though, if they try him inside and he is just too small an attempted position switch would be better than a release.

Thanks shut. I am sure they will learn a lot about Spences capabilities in TC and pre season. I have heard varying opinions on his size for ILB vis a vis Farrior and others and cases made that he may not be as undersized as some think. It is good to know you feel he could be converted....especially when mild comparisons have been made to Troy with repect to his athleticism and instincts. I wonder if they drafted him because they felt that he could possibly be troys replacement if he was not the best long term solution at ILB.

Perhaps a lot of the 2013 draft strategy may hinge on how / where Spence hopefully fits in.

ShutDown24
06-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks shut. I am sure they will learn a lot about Spences capabilities in TC and pre season. I have heard varying opinions on his size for ILB vis a vis Farrior and others and cases made that he may not be as undersized as some think. It is good to know you feel he could be converted....especially when mild comparisons have been made to Troy with repect to his athleticism and instincts. I wonder if they drafted him because they felt that he could possibly be troys replacement if he was not the best long term solution at ILB.

Perhaps a lot of the 2013 draft strategy may hinge on how / where Spence hopefully fits in.

I wouldn't be surprised if the thought has entered the minds of the coaching staff, but I'm also sure they have no plans of him failing at inside linebacker.

One of the reasons I suggest free safety as a bigger position of need than strong safety is I believe Ryan Clark could play strong, and play it well. In our system the traditional ideals of the two positions are blurred. Clark is already often in the box in place of Troy. So they both play the roles of SS/FS regularly. One player in for run support and the other ball hawking. This is where the problem could occur with Spence. He's definitely fast, but is he defensive back quick? That remains to be seen. If he moves to safety and is only valuable as a traditional strong safety, our defense loses a lot of flexibility and range as a whole.

steeldevil
06-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Its too early for me to have any real idea, not that I ever have the knowledge some of you guys have, but as a ND football fan the homer in me really wants Te'o. Although drafting him would almost certainly mean that throughout this year a decision would be made that Sylvester or Spence couldn't be starters, only situational players. Which I doubt they would make that decision on Spence so quickly, so Te'o is unlikely.

Chidi29
06-09-2012, 03:43 PM
I think if we wanted a SS, we would have drafted a SS. Not an ILB.

GBMelBlount
06-09-2012, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the thought has entered the minds of the coaching staff, but I'm also sure they have no plans of him failing at inside linebacker.

One of the reasons I suggest free safety as a bigger position of need than strong safety is I believe Ryan Clark could play strong, and play it well. In our system the traditional ideals of the two positions are blurred. Clark is already often in the box in place of Troy. So they both play the roles of SS/FS regularly. One player in for run support and the other ball hawking. This is where the problem could occur with Spence. He's definitely fast, but is he defensive back quick? That remains to be seen. If he moves to safety and is only valuable as a traditional strong safety, our defense loses a lot of flexibility and range as a whole.

You're right.

He ran a 4.56 40 at the combine.

It is not fast by CB standards but is on par with the likes of Brandon flowers....even though Spence weighs 30+ pounds more.

Iron Steeler
06-09-2012, 05:39 PM

I know 40 time isn't everything but Troy ran a 4.33 and spence is some were in the 4.55-4.6

Jerry rice ran a 4.6 so again proof that these data is 100% accurate to what will translate on the field

GBMelBlount
06-09-2012, 06:26 PM
I know 40 time isn't everything but Troy ran a 4.33 and spence is some were in the 4.55-4.6

Jerry rice ran a 4.6 so again proof that these data is 100% accurate to what will translate on the field

I completely agree. There can be a huge difference between sprint speed and game speed.

I think a good example is that Wallace has better sprint speed than Brown but Brown arguably has better game speed.

The thing about Troy is he has great sprint speed AND game speed (and instincts).

That was a great call by the FO to trade up and get him.

If our needs are less next year I wonder if we might consider trading up to get Troy's replacement, especially seeing how the defense is built around his ability.

Chidi29
06-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I completely agree. There can be a huge difference between sprint speed and game speed.

I think a good example is that Wallace has better sprint speed than Brown but Brown arguably has better game speed.

The thing about Troy is he has great sprint speed AND game speed (and instincts).

That was a great call by the FO to trade up and get him.

If our needs are less next year I wonder if we might consider trading up to get Troy's replacement, especially seeing how the defense is built around his ability.

The problem is trying to find someone who can match his talent. Hopefully this upcoming safety class isn't as weak as this past one's.

Aussie_steeler
06-09-2012, 08:36 PM
The first key is who are the 2013 and 2014 free agents.

UFA'S
Will Allen
Larry Foote
Ramon Foster
Casey Hampton
David Johnson
Doug Legursky
Keenan Lewis
Jonathon Scott
Rashad Mendenhall
Ryan Mundy
Mike Wallace
Greg Warren

RFA's
Antonio Brown
Jonathon Dwyer
Jeremy Kapinos
Isaac Redman
Steve McClendon
Emmanuel Sanders
Stevenson Sylvester

2014 Free agents

Ryan Clark
Jerricho Cotchery
Damon Cromartie Smith
Ziggy Hood
Morty Ivy
Brett Keisel
Weslye Saunders
Al Woods
Jason Worilds

In bold are players who I believe are must keeps.

What holes do you see that are going to arise possibly via free agency????

I see Free Safety as a must.

86WARD
06-09-2012, 09:24 PM
It's about that time to begin thinking about a replacement for Polamalu as well...

GBMelBlount
06-09-2012, 10:16 PM
The problem is trying to find someone who can match his talent. Hopefully this upcoming safety class isn't as weak as this past one's.

What other teams have a player like Troy that they build their defense around.

I also wonder if having Troy's physical ability alone is enough to replace him...he has an innate playmaking ability.

GBMelBlount
06-09-2012, 10:23 PM
The first key is who are the 2013 and 2014 free agents.

UFA'S
Will Allen
Larry Foote
Ramon Foster
Casey Hampton
David Johnson
Doug Legursky
Keenan Lewis
Jonathon Scott
Rashad Mendenhall
Ryan Mundy
Mike Wallace
Greg Warren

RFA's
Antonio Brown
Jonathon Dwyer
Jeremy Kapinos
Isaac Redman
Steve McClendon
Emmanuel Sanders
Stevenson Sylvester

2014 Free agents

Ryan Clark
Jerricho Cotchery
Damon Cromartie Smith
Ziggy Hood
Morty Ivy
Brett Keisel
Weslye Saunders
Al Woods
Jason Worilds

In bold are players who I believe are must keeps.

What holes do you see that are going to arise possibly via free agency????

I see Free Safety as a must.

Yes, but CAN we keep Wallace, Brown and Sanders?

Couldn't picking up a good receiver early be both insurance and leverage.

Texasteel
06-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Right now my watch list contains SS, FS, and LBs. ( You can never cross off a LBer with the Steelers.) I haven't seen many SS, or FS, that I would place in the 1st round, not at the moment anyway. Problem is, that with the Steelers ability to pick up a player that is sliding you can't really cross of any position, that is why I start looking heavely at player reports and even rumors two weeks before the draft.

steelerdude15
06-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Seems that we can all agree that as of right now, safety and linebacker are the two must important positions to draft in next years draft.

Texasteel
06-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Just a thought. If Colon continues to have problems, and Foster leaves after this year, might that put a player like bama's Barrett Johns into the picture. Johns has been mentioned as possably one of the best OC, OG, and OT prospects next year.

steelerdude15
06-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Just a thought. If Colon continues to have problems, and Foster leaves after this year, might that put a player like bama's Barrett Johns into the picture. Johns has been mentioned as possably one of the best OC, OG, and OT prospects next year.

I would love to have him if he's one of the best.

GBMelBlount
06-17-2012, 09:00 PM

First round?

I guess after picking up Pouncey, Gilbert, DeCastro & Adams....unless something unexpected happens I am not sure I see the need for us to go offense line early in the draft as compared to SS, FS & LB....but you never know with BPA.

Texasteel
06-18-2012, 07:44 AM
BPA is the main phrase here. I can see a couple S that would be 1st round worthy, but not sure they would be there when we pick. (Our draft position is also guess work.) I think that it is more likely to have a LB that we might like in the 1st round.

If we loose Colon, and Foster, ( more guessing) I could see a hole at LG. Would we fill that hole in the 1st round? Maybe, maybe not, but personally, I could see the eyes in our war room light up if Johns were available late in the 1st round.

LLT
06-18-2012, 11:44 AM
If we are looking at a real ILB "thumper"...then I would suggest that all the draftniks look at Georgia's OLB Jarvis Jones.

6'2 242 lb first team all american who had 70 tackles, 19.5 tackles for loss, and 13.5 sacks last year…It looks to me that he has loose hips and good enough instincts to move inside in a 3-4 scheme.

He is ranked pretty high right now...but all things are possible by the next draft.

I also like FS Robert Lester of Alabama ...6'2 210 lbs...and able to play both safety positions. Better than average speed and great instincts when the ball is in the air (8 interceptions his soph year) Hampered by back spasms last year and could have a monster year coming up

As a sleeper, I like OG Gabe Jackson of Mississippi State...6'4 320 lbs...not ranked very high right now ...but one of those players who will probably climb into the 3rd to 4th round.

Texasteel
06-18-2012, 03:08 PM
As alway Perry, a great list. I agree that Jarvis Jones will declare next year, I don't think he will have anything else to prove in school, and if we got a shot at him he would be an increadable pick, but I think he may be gone in the 1st half of the 1st round. Remember though, that is what I said about Hightower last year. I think Jones go's before Te'o.

Lester may fall into that no mans land of not quite a 1st rounder, but not far into the 2nd round. Personally, I think he works his way into the 1st, and very well may be our pick. At this point this is all wild speculation, but it is fun. Yes I do have my favorites, and no I am not tellin.

Perry do think Jackson will declare next year. I see him as a mid round OG next year, and I think he would help himself staying in school.

LLT
06-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Hey Tex.....

How about another Kent State linebacker?

DE Roosevelt Nix projects as a 3-4 OLB. He is 6'0 245 lbs....and over the last two years has racked up 37 tackles for loss...14.5 sacks...7 forced fumbles and 5 passes broke up.

http://www.kentstatesports.com/sports/fball/2010-11/photos/55_Roosevelt_Nix.JPG?max_width=450

Texasteel
06-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Hey Tex.....

How about another Kent State linebacker?

DE Roosevelt Nix projects as a 3-4 OLB. He is 6'0 245 lbs....and over the last two years has racked up 37 tackles for loss...14.5 sacks...7 forced fumbles and 5 passes broke up.

http://www.kentstatesports.com/sports/fball/2010-11/photos/55_Roosevelt_Nix.JPG?max_width=450

This is a kid I know absolutly nothing about. I did look a little up about him, and he sounds like another promising Jr. that very well could break out this year. I will try to find one of his games and give him a look. I have always had a soft spot for Kent St. LBers.

Steeldude
08-06-2012, 02:28 AM

I thought Spence ran a 4.7 40

Steeldude
08-06-2012, 02:30 AM
The Steelers biggest need is at safety. Clark and Polamalu are getting old.

Texasteel
08-06-2012, 08:41 AM
The Steelers biggest need is at safety. Clark and Polamalu are getting old.

I agree with that. I just can't deside right now if the help will come in the 1st or 2nd round. I think there will be some very good safeties available in both rounds.

Galax Steeler
08-07-2012, 04:44 AM
If the corners we have pan out do you think we will take one early? Are do we go safety with a first or second round pick.

Texasteel
09-01-2012, 07:41 AM
OK,,,,,,,, two things happened in the pre-season that may affect this years draft. We didn't find a QB that we wanted to develop for future years, and our stud rookie ILB got a season ending knee injury. Anyone agree or disagree with that?

LLT
09-02-2012, 03:16 AM
I agree with that. I just can't deside right now if the help will come in the 1st or 2nd round. I think there will be some very good safeties available in both rounds.

As we have talked about before....Tomlin has a tendancy to draft in pairs. Could this be the year he takes Free Safety T.J. McDonald in the first round and Strong Safety Robert Lester in the second?

Texasteel
09-02-2012, 05:25 AM
As we have talked about before....Tomlin has a tendancy to draft in pairs. Could this be the year he takes Free Safety T.J. McDonald in the first round and Strong Safety Robert Lester in the second?

And just like this year, that could fall in line with the idea of drafting the BAP in the first round. Probably the second as well if Lester makes it that far.

LLT
09-02-2012, 05:51 AM
And just like this year, that could fall in line with the idea of drafting the BAP in the first round. Probably the second as well if Lester makes it that far.

If we have a draft like we did this year...there is always the chance that FS Eric Reid is available at the end of the first round and SS Kenny Vaccaro falls to the end of the second round. Lots of possibilities this next year. There is also a chance that Florida State CB Xavier Rhodes may be a better fit as a safety in the NFL.

Texasteel
09-02-2012, 07:06 AM
If we have a draft like we did this year...there is always the chance that FS Eric Reid is available at the end of the first round and SS Kenny Vaccaro falls to the end of the second round. Lots of possibilities this next year. There is also a chance that Florida State CB Xavier Rhodes may be a better fit as a safety in the NFL.

A top 15 pick, and the best SS in the draft? Yes, I would compare that to this year. I don't think Lester is too far behind Vaccaro, but with Okafor, and Jeffcoat chasing the QBs all over Vaccaro will probably end up with more big plays, and that is what people remember.

Texasteel
09-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Iowa's Micah Hyde, a second or third round CB may end up at safety as well. Last year we needed O-line help and IMO that position was very good at the top. We got two of them. This year we will probably need saftety help, and again, IMO, this class may end up very good at the top. Now you know where I plan on looking.

Chidi29
09-03-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm just giddy college football is back and I can start watching prospects.

You're going to hear one guy get a lot of comparisons to Ben Roethlisberger. Southern Utah's Brad Sorenson who is listed at 6'5 230. Got to watch him against Utah State. I think he's closer to Joe Flacco than Ben (better arm than Ben, little less mobile) but after a rough start, he actually looked pretty good. Huge arm and showed good ball placement on some tough throws (out route, fade).

LLT
09-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Iowa's Micah Hyde, a second or third round CB may end up at safety as well. Last year we needed O-line help and IMO that position was very good at the top. We got two of them. This year we will probably need saftety help, and again, IMO, this class may end up very good at the top. Now you know where I plan on looking.

Micah Hyde? Is the the player that was a stud at the Insight Bowl?

Aussie_steeler
09-14-2012, 04:56 AM
i am going with OLB in round 1.

The steelers D is so dependant on the pass rush and currently I dont see any real options to replace Harrison in the near future.

Texasteel
09-16-2012, 07:25 AM
i am going with OLB in round 1.

The steelers D is so dependant on the pass rush and currently I dont see any real options to replace Harrison in the near future.

That would be an opption, for sure. You might take a look at Alex Okafor of Texas. At 6'5", 265, the pass rushing DE has the look of a Steelers LBer.

86WARD
09-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Safety and OLB and ILB and OL and QB and RB and...

Need look no further.

Texasteel
09-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Safety and OLB and ILB and OL and QB and RB and...

Need look no further.

I know no one is going to like this, but right now I have a RB at the top of my list. No I'm not going to mention his name. You know my rule about that.

LLT
09-17-2012, 06:55 AM
I know no one is going to like this, but right now I have a RB at the top of my list. No I'm not going to mention his name. You know my rule about that.

Hmmmmmm......Marcus Lattimore of South Carolina....or Montee Ball of Wisconsin?

Texasteel
09-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Hmmmmmm......Marcus Lattimore of South Carolina....or Montee Ball of Wisconsin?

OH no, I ain't tellin. I will say that the only reason I am thinking we may have a shot at him is because of his injury last year. I also want to keep an eye on Knile Davis, just incase he does come out this year.

LLT
09-19-2012, 03:01 AM
OH no, I ain't tellin. I will say that the only reason I am thinking we may have a shot at him is because of his injury last year. I also want to keep an eye on Knile Davis, just incase he does come out this year.

LOL....well here is a mock draft for you to take a look at and check out a few players that I'm interested in....let me know what your think.

1st: SS Kenny Vaccaro of Texas, 6'1 218

2nd: RB Montee Ball of Wisconsin, 5'11 215

3rd: OT James Hurst of North Carolina, 6'6 310

4th: OLB Jamie Collins of Southern Mississippi, 6'3 240

5th: OG Blaize Foltz of TCU, 6'4 310

6th: QB MarQueis Gray of Minnesota, 6'4 250

7th DE Baker Steinkuhler of Nebraska, 6'5 290

Aussie_steeler
09-19-2012, 06:08 AM
LOL....well here is a mock draft for you to take a look at and check out a few players that I'm interested in....let me know what your think.

only really know the first two picks LLT. Will check the others out when I get a chance

My 2 cents worth

1. Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame 6'2 255
2. Le'veon Bell RB Michigan State 6'2 244
3. Robert Lester SS LSU 6'2 212 -
4. Micah Hyde CB 6'1 191

Too early in the college season to have found my late round gems.

Still havent settled on any OLB prospects that I like.

I like Te'o then Skov as my two ILB picks to replace Larry Foote.

LLT
09-19-2012, 06:37 AM
only really know the first two picks LLT. Will check the others out when I get a chance

My 2 cents worth

4. Micah Hyde CB 6'1 191

I would LOVE to get Te'o or Jarvis Jones...but I think both will be gone before we pick.....but....we said the same about DeCastro last year.

Texasteel
09-19-2012, 04:36 PM

My 2 cents worth

4. Micah Hyde CB 6'1 191

Thats a hell of a list Aussie, and would likely be 4 starters in a year or two, but I've watch 3 of them play so far this year and all of them are showing 1st and 2nd round ability. Te'o, I think is long gone before our war room finishes their pre draft hot dog. Skov is a real possability. I remember you pushing him last year, and he would be a great pick this year.

Texasteel
09-19-2012, 04:42 PM

6th: QB MarQueis Gray of Minnesota, 6'4 250t

Have gotten to watch Ball and Foltz this year. Ball is playing lights out, and Foltz look to me to be very underrated. Foltz would instantly improve our OL backups.

Nice list buddy.

Aussie_steeler
09-21-2012, 04:28 AM
Thats a hell of a list Aussie, and would likely be 4 starters in a year or two, but I've watch 3 of them play so far this year and all of them are showing 1st and 2nd round ability. Te'o, I think is long gone before our war room finishes their pre draft hot dog. Skov is a real possability. I remember you pushing him last year, and he would be a great pick this year.

Athletes tend to fly up the board. Football players always seem to be grossly undervalued.

The only ILB's that have been grossly overdrafted IMO in the first round have been Jerrod Mayo and Lawrence Timmons ( I may have missed a few others). I can see Teo going in the late teens.

Skov could fall to the 3rd round. Lester is a player who will be overdrafted.

I am going to continue to bet on team overdrafting guys with elite measurables and take a chance on my guys slipping. ( I still cant believe that at least ten teams passed on De Castro)

The longer I play the draft game the more I tend to undervalue players of note.

Texasteel
09-24-2012, 07:36 AM
We keep playing like this, and we could very well have a shot at Te'o, Aussie. I guess that is one bright spot to the whole mess.

Texasteel
09-26-2012, 09:06 AM
A very early mock with the idea that we may be picking in the late teens.

1. Manti Te's----- ILB, ND, 6'2", 255, 2.65/40
2. Kenny Vaccaro- SS, Texas,6'1", 218, 4.57/40
3. Knile Davis----- RB, Arkansas, 6'0", 225, 4.44/40
4. Bacarri Rambo-- FS, Georgia, 6'0", 210, 4.52/40---? I think there is some off the feild problems, got to love the name.
5. Blaize Foltz----- OG, TCU, 6'4", 310, ------------- How do you get the name Blaize running a 5.30/40
6. C.J. Fiedorowicz- TE, Iowa, 6'6", 265, 4.65-------- Don't think we get him in the 6th, but I had to have an Iowa boy in here somewhere.
7. Brad Madison----DE, Missori, 6'4", 265, 4.76

Subject to change without notice.

Texasteel
10-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Finally got a chance to look at this up close bud, and right now, it doesn't look bad.

meo
Like it or not Troy is putting on a couple years, he is starting to show up on the injury list more, and looks to be slowing just a little. It may be time to think about his replacement in the next couple of years. Vaccaro could be a very good later 1st round pick. Very good pick.

Believe it or not, I am still a little tore on Ball, but he has started this year very well and if he keeps it up would be a good one for us in the 2nd. Is Mendy coming back here, is he starting to get dinged up a little to often, can we afford himr next year. I personally don't see a RB on this team that I feel comfortable replacing him. Not right now anyway. Good pick.

I think that our O-line is finally on it's way to being fix, but depth could be a concern in the next couple of years. Some may not like this pick, but I do. Besides, you know me and OTs. Good pick.

Haven't watch this kid, but I do believe that drafting a OLB will be nessessary, if not this year next for sure. No oppinion on this pick.

I love this pick, particularly in the 5th. Again, like OT, we are going to need to upgrade the OG backup players. I think this kid could do that and much more for us. Exellent pick.
6th: QB MarQueis Gray of Minnesota, 6'4 2

Not really thrilled with this one, but will need watch him play. I just think that we may need to either draft a play higher in the draft, or continue bring in a veteren and continue to work with what we have. Not sure about this one.

Big time Nebraska name, his father is very well know in that football program. He is have a pretty good year as well. Like the pick.

Nice early draft LLT.

LLT
10-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Finally got a chance to look at this up close bud, and right now, it doesn't look bad.

Nice early draft LLT.

You would like Jamie Collins... He played in all 13 games (6 starts) as a true freshman in.....as a sophomore, he started 10 of 13 games as an outside linebacker and recorded 71 tackles and 2.5 sacks....as a junior he had 98 tackles , 19.5 tackles for loss...8pbu....1 int... and 6.5 sacks.

This year (in four games) he already has 35 tackles....7 tackles for loss.... 3 pbu.... and 2 sacks.

steelerdude15
10-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Well, with the way things are going, safety is probably the strongest position of need. Other positions are corner and outside linebacker. LLT, who would you say are the top safeties in the 2013 draft?

st33lersguy
10-12-2012, 01:09 AM
The Steelers should draft one of the elite 3 pass rushers, they will be in range for one of them

steelerdude15
10-12-2012, 01:14 AM

Just saw a video on Kenny and impressed from what I've seen, keeping in mind that it was only one video. He definitely has the build for a safety and seems to have the athleticism to play safety. He made some great football plays that required the knowledge of the position and not just physical attributes. His stock is rising however, which could be a concern for us depending on how this year plays out.

Texasteel
10-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Just saw a video on Kenny and impressed from what I've seen, keeping in mind that it was only one video. He definitely has the build for a safety and seems to have the athleticism to play safety. He made some great football plays that required the knowledge of the position and not just physical attributes. His stock is rising however, which could be a concern for us depending on how this year plays out.

There are 3 players playing for Texas that I am very interested in. Vaccaro, Jackson Jeffcoat, and Alex Okafor. I watched all 3 last weekend and am still very impressed with them. Jeffcoat may well be out of our reach, but the other 2 could be there when we pick.

LLT
10-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Well, with the way things are going, safety is probably the strongest position of need. Other positions are corner and outside linebacker. LLT, who would you say are the top safeties in the 2013 draft?

Good question.

Ill break it down into Strong Safety prospects...then Free Safety prospects...then overall.

The top two strong safeties in the draft at this time are Kenny Vaccaro of Texas and Robert Lester of Alabama....both are considered second round prospects on most boards but I think Vaccaro is special and warrants a late 1st round look. I absolutely love this kid.

As far as free safeties, I'll give you three. Eric Reid of LSU , T.J. McDonald of Southern California and Tony Jefferson of Oklahoma. Reid is considered a mid 1st rounder and the unanimous "best safety" in the upcoming draft. T.J. McDonald is considered a late 1st rounder and Jefferson is a mid 2nd rounder.

That being said....my personal opinion is that they rank in this order:

1) FS Reid-mid first round
2) SS Vaccaro-late 1st round
3) FS McDonald- late 1st round/early 2nd round
4) SS Lester- early to mid 2nd round prospect
5) FS Jefferson-late 2nd/early 3rd round prospect

steelerdude15
10-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Good question.

Ill break it down into Strong Safety prospects...then Free Safety prospects...then overall.

The top two strong safeties in the draft at this time are Kenny Vaccaro of Texas and Robert Lester of Alabama....both are considered second round prospects on most boards but I think Vaccaro is special and warrants a late 1st round look. I absolutely love this kid.

As far as free safeties, I'll give you three. Eric Reid of LSU , T.J. McDonald of Southern California and Tony Jefferson of Oklahoma. Reid is considered a mid 1st rounder and the unanimous "best safety" in the upcoming draft. T.J. McDonald is considered a late 1st rounder and Jefferson is a mid 2nd rounder.

That being said....my personal opinion is that they rank in this order:

1) FS Reid-mid first round
2) SS Vaccaro-late 1st round
3) FS McDonald- late 1st round/early 2nd round
4) SS Lester- early to mid 2nd round prospect
5) FS Jefferson-late 2nd/early 3rd round prospect

Awesome write up, LLT! As always, a fantastic look at prospects. I'll definitely check out all of these players. I'll probably do it tomorrow night.

Texasteel
10-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Perry,, you might want to add Hyde to that list. He is have a good year, so far, and I am starting to see more people agree with me that he would make a better pro safty than a CB. He would likely go in the same area as Jefferson.

Texasteel
10-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Only watched two games yesterday. The RB for South Carolina, who will remain nameless, look good. He may be one of the best all around RBs I have seen for a while. His weakness? He needs to work on his pass blocking.

Ball Montee Ball looks to be moving himself up the draft chart.

Iowa CB Micah Hyde, I still think he will end up a safty, had a good game. I see him as a 3rd rounder.

Aussie_steeler
10-15-2012, 04:12 AM
Perry - what is your assessment of Georgia's safety Shawn Williams??

I have caught some Bulldogs football this year and too me he has been more productive than Rambo in the film that I have seen. To me Williams has a nose for the ball.

he would be my #6 on that list and great value in the 3rd.

LLT
10-15-2012, 06:22 AM
Perry,, you might want to add Hyde to that list. He is have a good year, so far, and I am starting to see more people agree with me that he would make a better pro safty than a CB. He would likely go in the same area as Jefferson.

Ive thought the same thing about Xavier Rhodes of Florida State. He is 6'1 217 lbs....but is supposed to run around 4.55. At that speed he may be a better safety option with his willinness to lay a hit on players.

LLT
10-15-2012, 06:35 AM
Perry - what is your assessment of Georgia's safety Shawn Williams??

I have caught some Bulldogs football this year and too me he has been more productive than Rambo in the film that I have seen. To me Williams has a nose for the ball.

he would be my #6 on that list and great value in the 3rd.

Williams is one of those players that I like alot.....I find him intriquing because his secondary position is actually OLB. I agree with you that he is just as talented as Rambo and he appears to be one of the better open field tacklers that I have seen for awhile.

I know there is a knock on him for having been suspended for a half of a game....but it wasnt for off-field issues, but rather a hit that the NCAA said was "unnessarily rough".

steelerdude15
10-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Just watched some videos of the top safeties that were highlighted by LLT and Kenny Vaccaro is still the best IMO. Since its being predicted that this isn't a good safety class and not a single one could possibly not be drafted in the first round, would corner be the best route to go if this is the scenario?

LLT
10-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Just watched some videos of the top safeties that were highlighted by LLT and Kenny Vaccaro is still the best IMO. Since its being predicted that this isn't a good safety class and not a single one could possibly not be drafted in the first round, would corner be the best route to go if this is the scenario?

McDonald and Vaccaro may slide into the top of the 2nd....But I would be shocked if Reid wasnt picked in the 20-32 range in the first round.

Texasteel
10-17-2012, 03:35 PM
McDonald and Vaccaro may slide into the top of the 2nd....But I would be shocked if Reid wasnt picked in the 20-32 range in the first round.

I think he will go higher than that, I think he could be in the teens before the year is over. It would be interesting if when we pick he and Jeffcoat are both there.

LLT
10-17-2012, 11:24 PM
I think he will go higher than that, I think he could be in the teens before the year is over. It would be interesting if when we pick he and Jeffcoat are both there.

Oh ...I entirely agree. By best guess is that he is picked in the 15-25 range. Of course that is being said without the advantage of the combine results and "fine-tooth" combing his background.

Jeffcoat should be available in the first round for a team that will take a chance on him.....small risk GREAT reward for a player that suffered a right pectoral muscle rupture this week and is out for the season....but may end up being an ELITE 3-4 OLB.

Texasteel
10-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Oh ...I entirely agree. By best guess is that he is picked in the 15-25 range. Of course that is being said without the advantage of the combine results and "fine-tooth" combing his background.

Jeffcoat should be available in the first round for a team that will take a chance on him.....small risk GREAT reward for a player that suffered a right pectoral muscle rupture this week and is out for the season....but may end up being an ELITE 3-4 OLB.

If we are too concured about Jeffcoats injury, the man that llines up on the otherside of the D-line is another one of my personal favorites for this year. Of course where we actually draft will have a bunch to do with our decision.

Steeltreal
10-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Been watching Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton 6'2 195. Do it all receiver, looks like a fit in Haleys bubble screen heavy offense if they want to move on from stone hands Wallace. Has numbers similiar to Sanders and Brown whem they came out.

LLT
10-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Been watching Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton 6'2 195. Do it all receiver, looks like a fit in Haleys bubble screen heavy offense if they want to move on from stone hands Wallace. Has numbers similiar to Sanders and Brown whem they came out.

Great call on Patton. I saw the game in which he had 200+ yards and 4 TD's. I dont think he is as fast as Brown and Sanders, but appears to be a better route runner then either of those two coming out of college. He is predicted to go in the 2-3 round.

LLT
10-30-2012, 05:02 AM

Wow....even just alluding to a player...and you curse him!!!! LOL!!!!

Texasteel
11-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Wow....even just alluding to a player...and you curse him!!!! LOL!!!!

It doesn't really matter now. He has stated that he will be going back to school. How would you feel about Alex Okafor. Through seven games he has 23 TT, 10 TFL, 8 sacks, and 2 FF. We seem to have problems at times getting pressure on the QB. OR Eric Reid, Reid would strengthen our safty position.

LLT
11-06-2012, 12:30 AM
It doesn't really matter now. He has stated that he will be going back to school. How would you feel about Alex Okafor. Through seven games he has 23 TT, 10 TFL, 8 sacks, and 2 FF. We seem to have problems at times getting pressure on the QB. OR Eric Reid, Reid would strengthen our safty position.

I love Okafor as a player but think that he may not fit our scheme very well. I think he isnt built like a 3-4 DE and not sure that he projects as a 3-4 OLB. Some 4-3 team will grab him mid way through the first as a DE which is where he will thrive.

I also love Reid, and would draft him in a heartbeat if he is available when we pick. Right now, my gut tells me that he will probably go in the first round in the 15-25 range.

I agree with you that we need to find a few players capable of putting pressure on the QB....and wonder if DE John Simon of Ohio State could play OLB. He is the epitome of the word "tenacious"....and built like superman. 31.5 career TFLs, 19 quarterback sacks. He is a tweener and may slide into the 3rd-4th round for a team that is willing to gamble on his making the transition.

Texasteel
11-06-2012, 08:11 AM
OK guys, I am going to throw another name at you that is starting to make more and more sence to me.

Jesse Williams, NT, bama. 6'3", 320 lbs. Jesse is reported to benck 600 lbs. with pretty quick feet. A kid that does not have a whole lot of experiance, only a couple of yeays I think, but seems to be learning fast.

Question? If we thought we need a NT last year, are you comfortable that we found one?

Steeltreal
11-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Anyone hear of Phillip Thomas, Safety 6'1 Fresno st. Happened to be in Reno past weekend and caught the game. They play an aggresive 3-4. His strength was blitzing and tackling, but also covered the slot, played deep, and has 8 Int'S . Will be following the Bulldogs through bowl season.

Texasteel
11-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Anyone hear of Phillip Thomas, Safety 6'1 Fresno st. Happened to be in Reno past weekend and caught the game. They play an aggresive 3-4. His strength was blitzing and tackling, but also covered the slot, played deep, and has 8 Int'S . Will be following the Bulldogs through bowl season.

Thomas has put up some very impressive numbers this year. I believe I read that he leads the nation in INTs. Right now I think he is figured to be a late 4, or 5th round pick. The only real knock on him, that I have heard, is his speed. He has the look of a player that could make good use of the combines. Could be one to watch.

Seven
11-14-2012, 02:01 PM
If we're talking safeties, what do you guys think of Brynden Trawick out of Troy? I've been impressed with this kid. Seems to have really improved against the pass this season. At 6-2 he is pretty tall, but he doesn't look stiff and flows to the ball well.

Drazo85
11-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Other than safety, our bigest need is pass rusher. I have watched kid from BYU, Ezekiel Ansah. He`s pretty fast for his size (6`6 270) but also pretty raw. He has a similar athletic abillities like JPP or Aldon Smith. I know we dont take players who are one season wonder like this guy, but i sure would like to see him in Steelers jersey. For now most scouts have him in late first. Any thoughts about this guy?

LLT
11-15-2012, 01:55 AM
If we're talking safeties, what do you guys think of Brynden Trawick out of Troy? I've been impressed with this kid. Seems to have really improved against the pass this season. At 6-2 he is pretty tall, but he doesn't look stiff and flows to the ball well.

Trawick is a beast at run support and has improved against the pass. However, I think he only has one career interception. He is 6'2, 218 lbs and runs a 4.4 forty....so some team will take a chance on him in the later rounds or as a UDFA. He is the type of player that I like to see us draft in the 6-7 rounds....High risk/High reward. There is an remote chance that he will be drafted by some team and asked to gain weight as a 4-3 OLB.

LLT
11-15-2012, 02:03 AM
Other than safety, our bigest need is pass rusher. I have watched kid from BYU, Ezekiel Ansah. He`s pretty fast for his size (6`6 270) but also pretty raw. He has a similar athletic abillities like JPP or Aldon Smith. I know we dont take players who are one season wonder like this guy, but i sure would like to see him in Steelers jersey. For now most scouts have him in late first. Any thoughts about this guy?

Reminds me of Jason Pierre Paul....who I was critical of (due to being a one season producer), but has flourished in the NFL. Ansah has a high ceiling and is surprising a lot of people with his production this year. Most draft boards that I am looking at show him as a 2nd rounder....but I think you are right in saying that he will go late in the first round to a team that knows he wont be on the board late in the 2nd.

LLT
11-15-2012, 02:27 AM

Hmmmmmm.....History of character concerns AND runs a 4.74 forty. Most teams will take a chance on a kids mistakes if his talent warrants the risk. Few will take a chance on a player with character concerns who might not be able to play at NFL speed. Probably why he gets a 5th round grade.

Texasteel
11-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Hmmmmmm.....History of character concerns AND runs a 4.74 forty. Most teams will take a chance on a kids mistakes if his talent warrants the risk. Few will take a chance on a player with character concerns who might not be able to play at NFL speed. Probably why he gets a 5th round grade.

Haven't heard about the character issues, but then I haven't been following him closely yet. You know what those issues are? His LBers type speed does concurred me. I'm afraid that he may be that the type of kid that can be coached into looking better at the combines than he will play in the pros.

Texasteel
11-15-2012, 07:34 AM

I have always been concurred about a kid that does well just before he enters the draft, and the kid that suddenly does well at the combines. Still the young man obviously has talent. I also think he is an early 2nd rounder that we would have to move to a 1st rounder if we want him. I think there will be to much left at the end of the 1st round for us to do that. Still there is plenty of season left for him to prove to teams that he is worth a 1st round pick. Also, remember that the way our season is going, we may be drafting much earlier that we originately thought.

Texasteel
11-15-2012, 08:02 AM
We all know the problems our team is having right now, and if thing do go south there is a chance that we could be drafting in the mid teens. If this happen players that may be available could be.

Manti Te'o, ND, ILB, 6'2" 255. Outside chance here. I really like this kid, liked him last year when we all thought he might come out.

Barkevious Mingo, LSU, OLB, 6'4", 245. Another outside chance.

Sam Montgomery, LSU, DE/OLB, 6'5", 260.

John Jenkins, Georgis, DT/NT, 6'3", 355, Do you still want a NT.

Eric Reid, LSU, FS, 6'2, 210, This might be my choice, If Te'o is gone, since we might be able to trade down 5 or 8 spots and still get him.

Any one else in that area that you like?

Seven
11-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Reminds me of Jason Pierre Paul....who I was critical of (due to being a one season producer), but has flourished in the NFL. Ansah has a high ceiling and is surprising a lot of people with his production this year. Most draft boards that I am looking at show him as a 2nd rounder....but I think you are right in saying that he will go late in the first round to a team that knows he wont be on the board late in the 2nd.

Exactly what I was coming to this thread to post. I too, didn't believe in Pierre-Paul when he came out. And Ansah looks almost like a clone. Whether that will trasnlate to the league or not we obviously don't know. But I have been slowly opening up to these kinds of guys as coaches seem to be having some level of success with them. Michael Johnson is another guy who comes to mind. But for every JPP there are two or three Vernon Gholston's, so to select a player like this you have to really think long and hard about the possibility that it doesn't work.

Seven
11-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Dion Jordan is another one of these guys who are going to shoot up the board due to athleticism. But from a scheme standpoint, does anyone like he or Ansah standing up? They are both 6'6, 6'7 guys... outside of DeMarcus Ware, do we see guys who top 6'5 really make an impact without their hand on the ground very often? I think I much prefer the James Harrison/Melvin Ingram mold for LeBeau's defense.

Another player I'm keeping my eye on is Brandon Turner from Navy. He's a big wideout who can really block. Haley likes big receivers. And if Wallace leaves he could play the downfield threat role immediately. I'm starting to believe Turner is going to be a gem for some team.

Dwinsgames
11-18-2012, 11:05 AM
based on team need and current state of the rosters age in some key spots I have my draft day wish list as to who I think will be available when we select ( considering we should be 25-32 in each round ) and for the first 5 rounds this is what I have for us ( well who I would like to take calculated risks on that does not mean Colbert thinks the same and he usually does not )

1. Manti Te’o ILB Notre Dame

2. Bacarri Rambo S Georgia

3. Tim Lester S Alabama

4. Bruce Taylor, ILB Virginia Tech

5. Brad Sorensen QB Southern Utah

Dwinsgames
11-20-2012, 11:50 AM
looks like this is a dead zone part of the forums .. oh well can't have everything

Seven
11-20-2012, 01:14 PM
It's not a dead zone. I've lurked here long enough to know you get excellent insight in these threads. There aren't posts here everyday, but the posts that are made are some of the best draft conversations online. These guys nailed it last April.

Seven
11-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Do you guys think Curt Philips has a shot in the league? Looked good in his start for Wisconsin. Looks like he's about 6'3 with average arm strength. Reminds me a bit of Brucie Gradkowsi.

Dwinsgames
11-20-2012, 01:45 PM
my honest Opinion is he might perhaps be a career clip board holder at the next level but nothing more ... if your looking for the best kept secret in college football look at Sorensen this kid can play and has prototypical size with very good arm strength , can make all the throws and is pretty darned accurate completes mid 60% of his throws

Aussie_steeler
11-20-2012, 04:59 PM
It's not a dead zone. I've lurked here long enough to know you get excellent insight in these threads. There aren't posts here everyday, but the posts that are made are some of the best draft conversations online. These guys nailed it last April.

We are a bit reluctant to name our guys early. Over the years we have seen our sleepers race up the board.

It is probably a good reflection of the ability of the guys to identify good talent. LLT is first class. Tex is good for a young fella

I have been guilty of posting a lot of mocks in the past. This year time has been more of a premium for me and I have laid pretty low.

3. Tim Lester S Alabama

I like your first five rounds a lot, both from the player and positional aspects.
Te'o is a favourite of mine. I think he will be gone by the time we pick, however I would love a De Castro type slide.
One safety is definitely needed and I can see two as a possibility. I think Lester is not going to measure great, however is a gamer. I like him a lot
QB has really been on my radar but I think the hoyer signing may make that redundant if he holds up well over the next few weeks.
Need to check out Taylor but VTech guys scare me. I know they play good ST's but there is something about them that causes me concerns????

Glad to see you posting and keep giving us food to think about.

I really think a pass rusher is needed. The steelers system thrives on pressure and I just don't see enough at this point.

My thinking at the moment is along these lines.

1. Jesse Williams NT Bama - The D has really lifted with the play of Casey the last few weeks. McClendon is not going to cut it like Casey. Ta'amu seems to be on the outer. No OLB is available so I think you strengthen the D line

2. Morgan Bresslin DE USC - non stop motor and a real quiet no nonsense team player. I go with a player rather than a talker ( like Worilds )

3. Shane Skov ILB Stanford - love this guy. he is a born player (just like Sean spence). I think he is multidimensional and can play possibly 3 of the 4 LB positions

4. Shawn Williams SS Georgia - this player stands out more than Rambo when I watch the Bulldogs play. He can play in the box and he has a nose for the ball.

5. Devonte Holloman LB South Carolina - another player who is in the right place at the right time. would be a great ST player - kind of the Slyvester mould.

I know there are no players for Todd Haley on this list. it just indicates that at the moment that I have not been scouting Offensive players. The only players that I have tagged are
* Ryan Nassib QB ( but Hoyers signing doesn't make this a great priority now)
* Le'veon Ball RB ( I think Mendenhall is gone but Redman and Dwyer have stepped up to the plate)

fortunately the best time for us lays waiting ahead for us.

Cheers Aussie

Steeltreal
11-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Check out Dri Archer 5'8 170 Rb for Kent st. this weekend against Ohio. ESPNU. 125 carries 1200+ yards 14 TD. Then they play NIU the following week for the MAC championship. This guys breakaway speed is Ridiculous!

Dwinsgames
11-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Check out Dri Archer 5'8 170 Rb for Kent st. this weekend against Ohio. ESPNU. 125 carries 1200+ yards 14 TD. Then they play NIU the following week for the MAC championship. This guys breakaway speed is Ridiculous!

yea kid has some skates on for sure , rumored 4.27 as his AVERAGE time ...... he returns kicks too was leading the nation with gaudy return numbers ( 47 or 48 per return )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=scMAy5rM3Eo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtLAWQr6JPE

Seven
11-20-2012, 10:32 PM
We are a bit reluctant to name our guys early. Over the years we have seen our sleepers race up the board.

It is probably a good reflection of the ability of the guys to identify good talent. LLT is first class. Tex is good for a young fella

I have been guilty of posting a lot of mocks in the past. This year time has been more of a premium for me and I have laid pretty low.

See, even the scouts follow this board to steal sleepers! :chuckle:

I know how you feel, though. I'm holding a few guys in my back pocket myself. It always feels like once you mention them their stock rises a good round or two. I think that has a tendency to happen to just about everyone.

LLT
11-21-2012, 04:31 AM
1)NT Jesse Williams Alabama 6’3 320 lbs
As stated before...very strong...great leverage. Stout enough to take up blockers and free up our linbackers...and strong enough to bull rush.

2) FS/SS Kenny Vaccaro Texas 6’1 218 lbs
My favorite player in this draft. Great tackler and incredible instincts. Versatile enough to play free or strong safety.

3) OG/OT Alvin Bailey Arkansas 6’5 315 lbs
Player that I didnt really notice until lately and was impressed enough to go back and look at tape. Great size, impressive strength, and abnormal quickness. Can play both sides and appears to have the skillset to play inside or outside as a OG or OT. Great depth player who may surprise and end up starting sooner than later.

4) RB Le'Veon Bell Michigan State 6’2 244 lbs
I had given up on having a true "big back" because so few of them seem to actually pan out in the NFL. Bell intriques me. He has been productive behind a patchwork offensive line and show a good combination of speed and strength. Does a good job of churning his legs through tackles

5) ILB/OLB Bruce Taylor Virginia Tech 6’2 244
Taylor is a player that has been mentioned before. He suffereed through a foot injury and could be a steal in the 5th round. Possesses the size and speed to play inside and outside. Could play in a 4-3 or a 3-4 defense. Good quality character and motivated player. Will continue to play for pride when the game is out of reach.

6) QB Matt Brown Illinois State 6’3 222 lbs
Brown is a player that I get to see quite often and am now convinced would be a great developmental QB. Has started 44 games, with a 64% career completion rate. He has great size and build...and an impressive, quick, release. He shows good mechanics and good foot work.

7) WR/QB/TE MarQueis Gray Minnesota 6'4 250lbs
C'mon...you gotta love this. Huge recieving target who had landed the starting QB job at one time. Gray is an elusive runner would be worth a 7th round gamble due to his versatility.

Count Steeler
11-21-2012, 05:02 AM
1)NT Jesse Williams Alabama 6’3 320 lbs
As stated before...very strong...great leverage. Stout enough to take up blockers and free up our linbackers...and strong enough to bull rush.
2) FS/SS Kenny Vaccaro Texas 6’1 218 lbs
My favorite player in this draft. Great tackler and incredible instincts. Versatile enough to play free or strong safety.
3) OG/OT Alvin Bailey Arkansas 6’5 315 lbs
4) RB Le'Veon Bell Michigan State 6’2 244 lbs
5) ILB/OLB Bruce Taylor Virginia Tech 6’2 244
6) QB Matt Brown Illinois State 6’3 222
7) DE Baker Steinkuhler of Nebraska, 6'5 290

Hope they take him, just for his name.

LLT
11-21-2012, 05:12 AM
Hope they take him, just for his name.

LOL...I like him! But take a look at the edit.

Dwinsgames
11-21-2012, 09:52 AM
glad to see all it takes is a shot in the arm and this forum see's a little action ... lots of guys here I have also looked at will be fun talking the draft with you all :coffee:

LLT
11-21-2012, 10:04 AM
glad to see all it takes is a shot in the arm and this forum see's a little action ... lots of guys here I have also looked at will be fun talking the draft with you all :coffee:

LOL...yea you caught us at a quiet point....but we love talking "draft".

Dwinsgames
11-21-2012, 12:22 PM
a friend of mine who writes for rant sports has a pretty decent draft sight ( not as comprehensive as it used to be ) but still has some lists of guys you all may want to take a harder look at ... he has been doing this for a long long time and has been on many espn local affiliates breaking down the draft over the years ..their mocks have had some pretty high grades too and is as successful as many ( and better than some ) nationally accredited draft gurus ... with that all being said here is a link ( hope this is not against any rules ) http://www.draftboardinsider.com/index.shtml the 2 main guys Curt Popejoy and John Clifford are both ranked on the huddle reports mocks and have 5 year averages http://www.draftace.com/mockdraftdatabase.htm just thought it may be a little more insight to go along with your own eye ball test

st33lersguy
11-21-2012, 03:04 PM
based on team need and current state of the rosters age in some key spots I have my draft day wish list as to who I think will be available when we select ( considering we should be 25-32 in each round ) and for the first 5 rounds this is what I have for us ( well who I would like to take calculated risks on that does not mean Colbert thinks the same and he usually does not )

3. Tim Lester S Alabama

I've watched Teo and he plays like a steeler, unfortunately, he will most likely be long gone

Dwinsgames
11-21-2012, 03:36 PM
I've watched Teo and he plays like a steeler, unfortunately, he will most likely be long gone

I am not certain Teo is gone , Linebackers are often funny that way and you never know how a draft will fall into place it only takes 1 guy to be drafted out of nowhere to change the ebb and floe of a draft and its no gimme we draft as late as normal either ...he could hang to mid 20s but then again could be gone top 15 Like Patrick Willis was ( dam )

Taylor plays like a Steeler too , He also may have that inside/outside flexibility in our Def but IMO better suited inside at Farrior's old spot ... Foote has played very well but his age is an issue and to be quite frank I have my doubts that Spence will be able to recover from his knee and look anything like the kid they drafted so time to fill those holes is now and if Spence can return to form all the better because you then have built in quality depth via the loser of the battle between them

Steeldude
11-24-2012, 05:25 AM
It appears the Steelers will now need to address OLB, ILB, CB and the safety position. IMO, safety and OLB are the most important out of that list. That depends on how Spence comes long after that horrible injury.

Seven
11-24-2012, 06:57 AM
A receiver I've become pretty fond of is Marquelo Suel from Akron. Doesn't seem to have a great quality per se, but he makes critical catches pretty consistently. He's a little bit older, went to a couple junior colleges before landing at Akron I believe. I think this guy makes some team as a UDFA. 6'3 but only 195, he'll need to bulk up into that frame in my estimation.

katmandu
11-25-2012, 03:21 PM
I bleed Black-n-Gold like most here... done so for 30+ years. Face it. This season is done. :frusty::frusty::frusty:

We have a lot of needs.

Where do we start ?

steelpride12
11-25-2012, 03:23 PM
LOL at you fool.

katmandu
11-25-2012, 03:25 PM
LOL at you fool.LMAO !!

Dwinsgames
11-26-2012, 01:57 PM
any mock ( or real draft ) for or by the Steelers that does not include potential help at S, ILB and QB ( even if developmental to some degree ) is a failed effort in my opinion ....

Foote playing well but not a long term answer with questions about Spence's ability to recover from his injury and just Sly ( who is failing IMO to develop enough ) as depth we need long term help in that area ...

S... with Clark , Troy and Allen all at or nearing their mid 30's and Mundy ( whom sucks ) as the only depth behind that trio the need is NOW .....

QB ..when Ben is out this team sucks , never has it been this clear how desperate we are for a Young Gun to develop .....

just sayin

st33lersguy
11-26-2012, 02:44 PM
It is clear as day that this team will have a top 20 pick come draft day

Dwinsgames
11-26-2012, 03:24 PM
It is clear as day that this team will have a top 20 pick come draft day

depends , Ben supposedly is going to try and return against the Ravens , if that return is successful I see us still winning 9-10 games and if that happens now way we get a top 20 pick .....

if he goes back out because of the injury then we could easily lose out or close to it and then we would get a top 20 pick ...

it all hinges on Ben and how effective he can be with this injury still clearly an issue as we move forward

Texasteel
11-26-2012, 05:49 PM
1. Jesse Williams NT Bama - The D has really lifted with the play of Casey the last few weeks. McClendon is not going to cut it like Casey. Ta'amu seems to be on the outer. No OLB is available so I think you strengthen the D line

2. Morgan Bresslin DE USC - non stop motor and a real quiet no nonsense team player. I go with a player rather than a talker ( like Worilds )

3. Shane Skov ILB Stanford - love this guy. he is a born player (just like Sean spence). I think he is multidimensional and can play possibly 3 of the 4 LB positions

4. Shawn Williams SS Georgia - this player stands out more than Rambo when I watch the Bulldogs play. He can play in the box and he has a nose for the ball.

5. Devonte Holloman LB South Carolina - another player who is in the right place at the right time. would be a great ST player - kind of the Slyvester mould.

I know there are no players for Todd Haley on this list. it just indicates that at the moment that I have not been scouting Offensive players. The only players that I have tagged are
* Ryan Nassib QB ( but Hoyers signing doesn't make this a great priority now)
* Le'veon Ball RB ( I think Mendenhall is gone but Redman and Dwyer have stepped up to the plate)

fortunately the best time for us lays waiting ahead for us.

Cheers Aussie

Very good draft that would be doable. I just hope Skov stays lost in the crowd while longer. You are totally right about Shawn Williams, I also think he is a better player than Rambo, would fit here much better.

I've been watching a couple of QBs, Nassib is one of them. The best thing about Nassib is his TD to INT ratio, he just doesnt make a lot of mistakes. He could cost us as much as a 2nd round pick, but a couple years behind Ben, I think we could have something, and you know, Ben could go down again, and maybe not play again.

Dwinsgames
11-26-2012, 06:09 PM
I personally can not vindicate drafting a NT in the first round when I feel McClendon is a capable player ( not nearly as strong but much much quicker than Big Snack ) and Ta'Amu is an unknown NFL quantity at this point but highly productive and dominate at the Collegiate level playing inside ( legal issues aside ) I was very high on him prior to last years draft and felt we stole him in the 4th and have not given up on him just yet ..... http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/twocents.gif

Texasteel
11-27-2012, 05:47 AM
I could see us with a NT. First, he could be the BAP at that point. Second, I think the line play has gone down hill, particularly this year. Teams are starting to run the ball on us, and we just haven't been getting the QB pressure that I think we should. I have an idea the a player like Williams would clog up the other team inside running game, and draw the attention needed to form lanes for our LBers.

Actually the guy I really liked this year was a Jr. RB. I mentioned his name one time, something I try to never do, and he went back to school. That why I don't talk much about the players I'm serious about.

Seven
11-28-2012, 12:28 AM
I personally can not vindicate drafting a NT in the first round when I feel McClendon is a capable player ( not nearly as strong but much much quicker than Big Snack ) and Ta'Amu is an unknown NFL quantity at this point but highly productive and dominate at the Collegiate level playing inside ( legal issues aside ) I was very high on him prior to last years draft and felt we stole him in the 4th and have not given up on him just yet ..... http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/twocents.gif

I sort of agree with this. I was never sold on Ta'amu but the Steelers thought enough of him to presumably make him the future at the position, and seeing as they've kept him on the team despite his night of fun, I don't see what's changed about that. I feel like they need to give McLendon a real shot, too, so we have a lot of young unproven talent at that spot. Why add another young unproven player?

Dwinsgames
11-28-2012, 10:29 AM
I sort of agree with this. I was never sold on Ta'amu but the Steelers thought enough of him to presumably make him the future at the position, and seeing as they've kept him on the team despite his night of fun, I don't see what's changed about that. I feel like they need to give McLendon a real shot, too, so we have a lot of young unproven talent at that spot. Why add another young unproven player?

that is my point , we have young guys at NT we have NOTHING at ILB or S that is young that has any value ... fix the glaring issues NT at this point in my mind at the very least would be a luxury pick and right now we can not afford luxury picks we have to many spot with aging players that are soon to be gaping holes

deweybeachde
11-28-2012, 11:29 AM
FS. 1. Reid
WR 2. Austin
ILB. 3 Johnson
SS. 4 Williams
OLB. 5a Washington
CB. 5b Webb. (Guessing Wm Gay comp pick)
RB. 6. Dyer
DE. Whoever is left 6'3 290 plus lbs close to 5.0 speed

Dwinsgames
11-28-2012, 11:33 AM
DE. Whoever is left 6'3 290 plus lbs close to 5.0 speed

http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/rofl.gif

Love that , its a knee slapper

Seven
11-28-2012, 01:11 PM
that is my point , we have young guys at NT we have NOTHING at ILB or S that is young that has any value ... fix the glaring issues NT at this point in my mind at the very least would be a luxury pick and right now we can not afford luxury picks we have to many spot with aging players that are soon to be gaping holes

That said, I do still believe in BPA. And if there is a nose available that the team things is head and shoulders better than anything else on the board, then I'd be alright with it. But I wouldn't really be targeting that position here.

LLT
11-29-2012, 02:26 AM
A little "off" of what I have posted before....but after hearing everyones thoughts....lets try this one.

1) ILB C.J. Mosley Alabama 6'2 232
Listed as an OLB on most sites...but has played inside in a 3-4 scheme and would be a monster beside Timmons

2) QB Tyler Bray Tennessee 6'5 215
A legitimate backup and heir apparant to Ben. Might have some maturity issues that Tomlin will have to deal with, but has a one heck of an arm and can learn the game behind our franchise QB.

3) SS Shawn Williams Georgia 6'1 218
Ive made no excuses for absolutely loving Vaccaro in this next years draft...but I would be thriled to land Shawn Williams.

4) OLB Lerentee McCray Florida 6'2 249
Underrated OLB who has overcame a lot of adversity. Tomlin likes to draft in "pairs"...and McCray could join Mosley as future LB starters.

5) FS Daimion Stafford Nebraska 6'1 205
Dont overlook Stafford...high intensity player who is a beast in run coverage.

6) OG/OT Manase Foketi West Texas A&M 6'5 320
...Extremely strong and versatile player who will need to work a little on fundamentals.

7) DE Baker Steinkuhler Nebraska 6'5 290
Kiesel is getting older and we need depth behind Ziggy and Cam.

Dwinsgames
11-29-2012, 08:35 PM

the more I see tape on these two the more I think the word will be out on them to the tune of shooting up the draft boards so unless your willing to pull the trigger early on them they could be long gone ( provided they test out well at the annual poke and prod otherwise known as the combine )

I am more of a background and medical kind of guy when it comes to the combine , I could give 2 shits of how well they run in shorts on a track no player in the NFL will be wearing shorts on game day and not every man runs the same in pads some can carry the weight some cant and still perform at the same level so a 4.3 -40 or a 4.45 -40 means very little without pads on in my book ... sure if all things are equal use it as a tie breaker but never let it be a deal breaker ... the eyeball test trumps all and what you did in games matters far more than what you do on a track or in a weight room ...

that being said you have a better understanding to what I am all about when looking at a player ... I will take a gamer with a high motor over any workout warrior 10 times out of 10 http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/drinks.gif

Dwinsgames
12-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Looking more at the NT I think my favorite ( potentially obtainable ) guy would be John Jenkins out of Georgia , he is a mountain of a man if you want to talk about a classic 2 gap player with size strength and the stoutness to clog the middle of the line and demand a double team on every down at 360 pounds you need not look any further but again I am not sold on going NT in the first round after addressing it in the 4th round just a year ago and having some faith that McClendon brings just barely enough in size but excels in his quickness to overcome some of the shortcomings of being a bit undersized and has made plays when having the opportunity ...

if your not real familiar with Jenkins give him a good long look , I think he will be a pleasant surprise but will probably cost you a 1st round pick to obtain him

Steeltreal
12-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Georgia got beat on all levels vs Bama

Dwinsgames
12-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Georgia got beat on all levels vs Bama

your point ?

1 player does not make a scheme , a team or an outcome ... player vs player I take Jenkins over Williams 10 times out of 10 when looking at them as a NT at the next level ....

that is not to say Williams won't be a heck of a player because he probably will be ( provided he is not drafted by a dysfunctional organization ) but that can be said about a lot of players

Dwinsgames
12-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I fear Skov is playing his way into the second round , with a good showing in Indy this guy may go top 38-45 and consequently be out of reach for us

Steeltreal
12-02-2012, 02:56 PM
You hyped the guy, so my point is I wasnt impressed. 350 yards allowed rushing with majority coming right up the middle. Neary 1000 rushing yards their past 3 games. Just about 7 games with over 200+ rushing allowed compared to Bamas 1. Dude might be available in the 3rd.

Dwinsgames
12-02-2012, 05:13 PM
You hyped the guy, so my point is I wasnt impressed. 350 yards allowed rushing with majority coming right up the middle. Neary 1000 rushing yards their past 3 games. Just about 7 games with over 200+ rushing allowed compared to Bamas 1. Dude might be available in the 3rd.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that

Dwinsgames
12-06-2012, 07:37 PM
here is some video on Archer who was spoke of earlier .... a man among boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fBRG71tsUyE#!

Dwinsgames
12-17-2012, 11:18 AM
David Amerson CB N.C. State..... may have to convert to FS to be as effective , reported 4.59 - 40 time ( if accurate ) may be an issue for his ability to play CB but I think he is still plenty worthy of a second round pick ( he has declared NFL eligible ) even if his 40 time is accurate I think he instantly becomes one of the top safety prospects ( maybe the top prospect at S )

st33lersguy
12-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Here is another need, a WR that can actually hold onto the fricking football. We might need one to fill the depth chart anyway if the Rooney's show a sign of intelligence and let Limas Wallace leave

Dwinsgames
12-19-2012, 03:03 PM
the more this season wears on the more clear it is to me we need to spend a selection on upgrading the RB pos of this football team , something I was not real concerned with a few short weeks ago ... now I am very concerned with it

Steeltreal
12-19-2012, 06:53 PM
the more this season wears on the more clear it is to me we need to spend a selection on upgrading the RB pos of this football team , something I was not real concerned with a few short weeks ago ... now I am very concerned with it

Steven Jackson could be a key Free Agent pick if RB is 1 position of need. I think defense is addressed rounds 1 and 2 safety then DL. Hope WR, Quinton Patton is there in the 3rd

st33lersguy
12-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Steven Jackson could be a key Free Agent pick if RB is 1 position of need. I think defense is addressed rounds 1 and 2 safety then DL. Hope WR, Quinton Patton is there in the 3rd

Steven Jackson is old and wearing down at this point. If we are going to get a RB, I would prefer we draft one, groom it, and hope we have a franchise RB for at least a decade, not sign one on the wrong side of 30 as a starter for only a few years tops

Steeltreal
12-19-2012, 07:35 PM
A day 1 RB shouldnt have to be 'groomed'. I say roll with what we got. The O line needs time to gel if anything, we cant keep a constant 5 for an entire game.

LLT
12-19-2012, 10:26 PM
I am more and more thinking that our first round pick will be a ILB.

I know we picked up Spence in this last draft, but the more I look at Spence's specific skill set and what our future needs will be....I think that we might see Spence in a specialty role...replacing Polamalu in those defensive schemes in which Troy has played like an extra LBer.

I think we still need a thumper in the middle and this draft class is top heavy with players that can fill that role.

Within the next day or so, I will try and do a round by round breakdown of ILB's that fit our scheme. If there is a legit ILB in the 2nd round, I think RB might be a spot that we give consideration to in the first.

Steeltreal
12-19-2012, 11:29 PM
If thats the case , hope we trade out of the 1st to grab Ogletree or Minter. Slim chance at Mosley .

Dwinsgames
12-19-2012, 11:50 PM
updated Mock
selection............................. ..........alternate selection
1) T.J McDonald S USC ............... ......Kenny Vaccaro S Texas

2) David Amerson CB NC State............ Nico Johnson ILB Alabama

3) Le'veon Bell RB Michigan state..........Stephan Taylor RB Stanford

4) Bruce Taylor ILB Virginia Tech...........Brad Sorensen QB S. Utah

5) Trade to Raiders for Rolando McClain ( let him play where he should have been all along inside on a 3-4 ) if no trade C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa ( poor mans Heath Miller )

5b) Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee ...........Micah Hyde CB Iowa

6)Brandon Williams DE Missouri Southern ...Demetrius McCray S Appalachian State

7) Lamar Mandy OG Youngstown state ......Nicholas Edwards WR Eastern Washington

UDFA
Terron Armstead OT Arkansas Pine Bluff
Tyler Shaw WR NW Missouri st
Ryan Spadola WR Lehigh
Craig Wilkins ILB Old Dominion
Eric Kush C/G Cal Pa
Ty Powel LB Harding
Dri Archer wr/rb/st Kent St

LLT
12-20-2012, 12:09 AM
If thats the case , hope we trade out of the 1st to grab Ogletree or Minter. Slim chance at Mosley .

Inside LB is such a tricky thing in a 3-4 scheme. I think Minter would be a better inside LB in a 4-3....and Ogletree will probably play OLB in the pros.

Mosely is ranked #22 right now on NFLDraftScout.com...which I believe is the most accurate fo the draft sites. That is probably pretty close to where we will be picking.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

updated Mock
selection............................. ..........alternate selection
1) T.J McDonald S USC ............... ......Kenny Vaccaro S Texas

2) David Amerson CB NC State............ Nico Johnson ILB Alabama

3) Le'veon Bell RB Michigan state..........Stephan Taylor RB Stanford

4) Bruce Taylor ILB Virginia Tech...........Brad Sorensen QB S. Utah

5) Trade to Raiders for Rolando McClain ( let him play where he should have been all along inside on a 3-4 )

5b) Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee ...........Micah Hyde CB Iowa

6)Brandon Williams DE Missouri Southern ...Demetrius McCray S Appalachian State

7) Lamar Mandy OG Youngstown state ......Nicholas Edwards WR Eastern Washington

UDFA
Terron Armstead OT Arkansas Pine Bluff
Tyler Shaw WR NW Missouri st
Ryan Spadola WR Lehigh
Craig Wilkins ILB Old Dominion
Eric Kush C/G Cal Pa
Ty Powel LB Harding
Dri Archer wr/rb/st Kent St

I still like Taylor in the later rounds....he would be a steal.

And you KNOW I have a mancrush on Vaccaro.

Seven
12-20-2012, 12:14 AM
With the emergence of Will Allen this season I'm no longer sure how I feel about a safety in the first round. He's 30, but that really isn't old for a defensive back. I recognize the need for a safety, but my preference would be to get one later in the draft as there isn't a player near the top of the board who I'm in love with at the position.

I think as things stand right now linebacker and corner are by far the most glaring needs. At linebacker, inside and out. I have faith in Jason Worilds, but apart from he we don't have much behind Harrison and Woodley (hell, we might not have much in Harrison and Woodley anymore).

I'm a fan of the idea that we should target a tailback fairly high. 3rd round or so would be ideal in my mind. I like the suggestion of Le'Veon Bell.

I'm not near ready to be putting names out there in a mock, but I'll offer up what I'm thinking as far as ideal position selection goes through 5.

1. ILB
2. CB
3. OLB
4. RB
5. S

Dwinsgames
12-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Inside LB is such a tricky thing in a 3-4 scheme. I think Minter would be a better inside LB in a 4-3....and Ogletree will probably play OLB in the pros.

Mosely is ranked #22 right now on NFLDraftScout.com...which I believe is the most accurate fo the draft sites. That is probably pretty close to where we will be picking.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I still like Taylor in the later rounds....he would be a steal.

And you KNOW I have a mancrush on Vaccaro.

the way you feel about Vaccaro is kinds how I feel about Amerson , he does the 1 thing NOBODY in our secondary does and that is pick off passes , we need a player in the back end that can make plays he may be a special player in a few years and would be an instant upgrade IMO

Dwinsgames
12-20-2012, 10:20 AM
With the emergence of Will Allen this season I'm no longer sure how I feel about a safety in the first round. He's 30, but that really isn't old for a defensive back. I recognize the need for a safety, but my preference would be to get one later in the draft as there isn't a player near the top of the board who I'm in love with at the position.

I think as things stand right now linebacker and corner are by far the most glaring needs. At linebacker, inside and out. I have faith in Jason Worilds, but apart from he we don't have much behind Harrison and Woodley (hell, we might not have much in Harrison and Woodley anymore).

I'm a fan of the idea that we should target a tailback fairly high. 3rd round or so would be ideal in my mind. I like the suggestion of Le'Veon Bell.

I'm not near ready to be putting names out there in a mock, but I'll offer up what I'm thinking as far as ideal position selection goes through 5.

1. ILB
2. CB
3. OLB
4. RB
5. S

I like Allen as a player , but he has never proved to be the most durable of men either , his age being north of 30 and the fact he is a FA come this off season , even if they are able to retain him we have nothing after him in the depth pool , the time is now for a almost sure thing selection in that part of the def IMO ...

Troy also may in fact be done , his ability to stay on the field the last 2-3 season and his seemingly lesser quality of play make his cap hit almost unbearable moving forward , his age and durability are huge issues based on his play style ..Troy being Troy is his own worst enemy in terms of being game ready 16 week + each and every year and a change in style makes him ineffective so not much can be done to protect him from himself to lengthen his career IMO

as a side note , Troy could walk away from the game at any time even if we desire to keep him , he is the sort of man who has other interests and football is not his life it is just a small part of it

Seven
12-20-2012, 07:16 PM
I like Allen as a player , but he has never proved to be the most durable of men either , his age being north of 30 and the fact he is a FA come this off season , even if they are able to retain him we have nothing after him in the depth pool , the time is now for a almost sure thing selection in that part of the def IMO ...

It's definitely a need. I think we'll be able to keep Allen, and not even including Troy in the picture, if we have Allen and Clark starting with Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith and a rookie behind them I feel OKAY about the unit. That is to say better than I feel about Timmons/Foote starting with Sly backing them up again next year.

Count Steeler
12-20-2012, 07:39 PM
It's definitely a need. I think we'll be able to keep Allen, and not even including Troy in the picture, if we have Allen and Clark starting with Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith and a rookie behind them I feel OKAY about the unit. That is to say better than I feel about Timmons/Clark starting with Sly backing them up again next year.

Don't forget about Sean Spence. I think he is going to add some energy to the front seven. Plus, I'm sure we draft another 1 or 2 LBers in the draft and probably a CB and a Safety.

Seven
12-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Don't forget about Sean Spence. I think he is going to add some energy to the front seven. Plus, I'm sure we draft another 1 or 2 LBers in the draft and probably a CB and a Safety.

I'm excited to see what Spence can do but I'll be pleasantly surprised if he turns into a first down player, not sure how he'll be able to get off blocks with how undersized he is.

Dwinsgames
12-20-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm excited to see what Spence can do but I'll be pleasantly surprised if he turns into a first down player, not sure how he'll be able to get off blocks with how undersized he is.

much will depend on how well the play at NT is , if it is poor , so will the outcome of most and ILB we stick in there IMO

43Hitman
12-20-2012, 08:47 PM
much will depend on how well the play at NT is , if it is poor , so will the outcome of most and ILB we stick in there IMO

And thats really where it starts in my opinion, if you're NT isn't demanding a double team, your ILB'ers will get caught up in the wash and be rendered ineffective.

LLT
12-21-2012, 12:30 AM

Maybe Spence is deserving of a thread unto himself. A lot of what we will do depends on how we utilize him.

As I have said in a differrent post....I personally dont think that Spence was drafted as an every down ILB. I just dont think that he is enough of a thumper.

Several of you have talked about Troy not being as effective as he used to be and that he could walk away from the game at anytime. I agree... and Im sure the FO is painfully aware of this also. Troy often plays in the box to counteract the RB's who are catching passes in the flat and to track the new breed of Tightends that come across the middle. By all definitions he is playing a Nickel Linebacker position on those plays.

This is where I think Spence fits in. I think he is going to be that nickel LBer that we need. When Troy is out of the game, we get eaten up by teams who throw the short and intermediate passes. It drives me absolutely crazy to see teams dink and dunk their way down the field. As an ILB, Spence might get caught up in the middle of the field...but as a Nickel, he has the ability to seperate and locate the ball.

It just makes too much sense.

Aussie_steeler
12-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Time to update a mock

1. Jesse Williams NT Alabama. Still sticking with a pick for the D side of the ball. Cant see a OLB that interests me now that Anthony Barr is going back. Montgomery may be available, but if you watch his film he is consistently late off the snap and gets eaten up. Doesn't cover well enough for a 3-4 OLB. Casey is OK, but old and McClendon cant beat out Casey. Ta'amu shows nothing at this stage. Plus he is a fellow Aussie

2. Joseph Randle RB Oklahoma State 6'0 200 - Watch film on this running back and he does it all. Hard Yards up the middle, breaking runs outside, catching passes out of the backfield and most importantly he can pick up the blitz. He is the complete package as a RB for me. I think Haley would drool over this guy.

3. Shane Skov ILB Stanford. 6'3 242 - Pure football player who gives position flexibility behind Harrison, Timmons and Foote for the next few years. Develops into an outstanding starter IMO. our next James Farrior

4. Shawn Williams S Georgia 6'1 218 - had a shocker in his last game. I still think this guy is a player. He has a nose for the ball and makes stops and picks. I still have faith that his ability translates well to the NFL. Strong safety who could handle FS is needed.

5. Devonte Holloman OLB South Carolina 6'2 241 - High Motor, good work ethic and good special teams player. Competes with SLY for a roster spot

6. Cody Hoffman WR BYU 6'3 215 - Watch some film on this guy and he always seems to be in the right place, right time and makes great catches. Also is a good returner. ( I pimped Austin Collie when he came out - I think this is another BYU receiver who will translate very well to the NFL)

7. Lane Taylor OG Oklahoma State 6'3 328 - Watch the film for Joseph Randle. I will guarantee that you will see #68 at Right guard just eating up guys and opening lanes for Randle. This guy is again a player who does the small things well.

Not a flashy mock, no QB to groom, no stud OLB and no superstar WR to replace mike Wallace.

Fire Away

Dwinsgames
12-21-2012, 02:50 AM
Time to update a mock

1. Jesse Williams NT Alabama. Still sticking with a pick for the D side of the ball. Cant see a OLB that interests me now that Anthony Barr is going back. Montgomery may be available, but if you watch his film he is consistently late off the snap and gets eaten up. Doesn't cover well enough for a 3-4 OLB. Casey is OK, but old and McClendon cant beat out Casey. Ta'amu shows nothing at this stage. Plus he is a fellow Aussie

2. Joseph Randle RB Oklahoma State 6'0 200 - Watch film on this running back and he does it all. Hard Yards up the middle, breaking runs outside, catching passes out of the backfield and most importantly he can pick up the blitz. He is the complete package as a RB for me. I think Haley would drool over this guy.

3. Shane Skov ILB Stanford. 6'3 242 - Pure football player who gives position flexibility behind Harrison, Timmons and Foote for the next few years. Develops into an outstanding starter IMO. our next James Farrior

4. Shawn Williams S Georgia 6'1 218 - had a shocker in his last game. I still think this guy is a player. He has a nose for the ball and makes stops and picks. I still have faith that his ability translates well to the NFL. Strong safety who could handle FS is needed.

5. Devonte Holloman OLB South Carolina 6'2 241 - High Motor, good work ethic and good special teams player. Competes with SLY for a roster spot

6. Cody Hoffman WR BYU 6'3 215 - Watch some film on this guy and he always seems to be in the right place, right time and makes great catches. Also is a good returner. ( I pimped Austin Collie when he came out - I think this is another BYU receiver who will translate very well to the NFL)

7. Lane Taylor OG Oklahoma State 6'3 328 - Watch the film for Joseph Randle. I will guarantee that you will see #68 at Right guard just eating up guys and opening lanes for Randle. This guy is again a player who does the small things well.

Not a flashy mock, no QB to groom, no stud OLB and no superstar WR to replace mike Wallace.

Fire Away

well we all know how I feel about a NT at #1 so wont bother touching on that again...

only things I can say is I doubt Williams is around in the 4th , and you have Holloman listed as an OLB but competing for a roster spot with our already slim depth of Sly at ILB so either it was a brain fart or you think Holloman can play inside and outside ? will have to get another look at him myself too since he has been brought up ...

only other passing thought is Skov in the 3rd round would be a complete steal at this point , I think his stock is going to be on a constant rise between now and the draft once everyone has a chance to get a good look at him on tape , with a solid combine he could wind up being a top 50 selection ( yea I like the kid too )

:drink:

LLT
12-21-2012, 02:57 AM
Time to update a mock

Fire Away

Lots of blue collar players in that mix....I like Williams and think he may climb. I will have to take another look at Holloman. I know I have watched some tape on him but right now I cant remember what my initial impressions was of him. I'll also check out Taylor....I love me some value in the later rounds!!!! Skov is intriquing and obviously a player...but I have been waiting to hear what someone, outside of Stanford, says about his knee.

Aussie_steeler
12-21-2012, 03:28 AM
well we all know how I feel about a NT at #1 so wont bother touching on that again...

only things I can say is I doubt Williams is around in the 4th , and you have Holloman listed as an OLB but competing for a roster spot with our already slim depth of Sly at ILB so either it was a brain fart or you think Holloman can play inside and outside ? will have to get another look at him myself too since he has been brought up ...

only other passing thought is Skov in the 3rd round would be a complete steal at this point , I think his stock is going to be on a constant rise between now and the draft once everyone has a chance to get a good look at him on tape , with a solid combine he could wind up being a top 50 selection ( yea I like the kid too )

:drink:

My draft philosophy never changes. The FO alternates between O and D each year and prefer juniors. I will stick to my system. Just don't see a OLB that fits that slot in the first. I see four options at this point - NT Williams, DE Richardson, FS Reid and ILB Mosely. I don't think Montgomery fits a 3-4. I like Reid but I cant see the FO investing in a pick that high for a safety. Troy was an absolute phenom coming out and no-one outside of Eric Berry has matched that for me since.

I err on the side of caution, hence Williams.

Regarding Skov I think his Knee causes concerns much like Sean Spence. He slides and becomes great value. He may not have the explosive stats that many require at the combine. He wont run a fast 40 or put together great times in other drills. I watch the tape and he has a football brain. I am continually amazed that NFL front offices defer to the planet theory ( only a few guys on the planet measure to that level) instead of picking pure football players. ( how do you effectively measure brain processing speed and instinct to read play and predict what is going to happen????)

I see Holloman as project who would primarily be a special teams player who fills a role. Once he gets to camp they evaluate if he is a OLB or ILB. I think he can play both. They did the same with Timmons and he was a first rounder, and it became apparent he was a ILB instead of the possible OLB they thought . I see a multidimensional player who has a nose for getting to the ball ( in the air or in the QB's hand)

As your name suggests, D wins games and I think the steelers D has to evolve slightly to convert stats into wins. Instinctive players get turnovers --- athletes make stops. Ike is an athlete, not instinctive hence his lack of turnovers. Troy is instinctive hence his greater ability to create turnovers. I roll the dice and find playmakers and I seriously believe one already exists in Sean Spence.

I am keen to hear feedback on Joseph Randle. he is getting little hype but I love what I see.

Seven
12-21-2012, 03:45 AM
The only thing I don't get about the nose tackle pick, is it seems like you guys were all high on Ta'amu last year, so what has happened this year to change that? He's apparently not getting cut, and is still the same player he was a year ago?

Aussie_steeler
12-21-2012, 04:05 AM
The only thing I don't get about the nose tackle pick, is it seems like you guys were all high on Ta'amu last year, so what has happened this year to change that? He's apparently not getting cut, and is still the same player he was a year ago?

Honestly -- once he has entered the pro's he has failed to treat it as a profession. You get your first job, it pays big money, and their is the continual risk of being cut due to roster constraints out of your control---- and then you choose to get pissed out of your skin, smash into cars and resist police. I think I am hearing alarm bells going off for an unproven commodity who is a 4th round pick. ( I mocked him because he fit the profile of a 3-4 NT based on his height, weight, girth and scouting profile --- I had no idea about him as a person, teammate or even his intellectual capacity. I don't know him and took a punt from a list of players)

Now Terrell Owens was all world and teams got tired of his crap. Ta'amu is all nothing at this point so why would he get treatment equivalent to TO. The only things he has going for him now are: He is a potential NT, he is relatively cheap in relation to the cap and who else do they have???

Can the team upgrade the position significantly??? I now say yes.

Seven
12-21-2012, 04:18 AM
Honestly -- once he has entered the pro's he has failed to treat it as a profession. You get your first job, it pays big money, and their is the continual risk of being cut due to roster constraints out of your control---- and then you choose to get pissed out of your skin, smash into cars and resist police. I think I am hearing alarm bells going off for an unproven commodity who is a 4th round pick. ( I mocked him because he fit the profile of a 3-4 NT based on his height, weight, girth and scouting profile --- I had no idea about him as a person, teammate or even his intellectual capacity. I don't know him and took a punt from a list of players)

Now Terrell Owens was all world and teams got tired of his crap. Ta'amu is all nothing at this point so why would he get treatment equivalent to TO. The only things he has going for him now are: He is a potential NT, he is relatively cheap in relation to the cap and who else do they have???

Can the team upgrade the position significantly??? I now say yes.

I'm not going to agree one way or the other, I wasn't a big fan of Ta'amu pre-draft. It's just odd to see how many people called this guy "the nose tackle of the future" just a few months ago and one run in with the law now changes everything, even though the Steelers have shown they are committed to keeping him around. It's just a humorous situation to me, I guess.

Aussie_steeler
12-21-2012, 04:25 AM
I'm not going to agree one way or the other, I wasn't a big fan of Ta'amu pre-draft. It's just odd to see how many people called this guy "the nose tackle of the future" just a few months ago and one run in with the law now changes everything, even though the Steelers have shown they are committed to keeping him around. It's just a humorous situation to me, I guess.

he currently resides on the practiced squad.

if casey is not resigned then at best it is #1 McClendon and #2 Ta'amu. McClendon cant beat out 2 down Casey and Ta'amu cant stay sober.

They sound like terms for an upgrade in my books.

The only reason he is kept around is because of a) cap space and b) available talent on the street free agent list. he wont see the field unless on an injury. As highlighted by the current CB scenario, any old street free agent can come in if you are totally desperate.

Dwinsgames
12-21-2012, 05:05 AM
I am keen to hear feedback on Joseph Randle. he is getting little hype but I love what I see.

haha yea kid is interesting I will say that , has quick feet , he is decisive ( something we have lacked for a long time ) he is quick to make his cut ( runs better to his left which plays into our MO ) has decent speed to the outside but maybe not quite enough at the next level to make to much of a habit out of it as we all know everyone is fast at the next level and gaps close quickly more often than not ...seems to have VERY good vision ( another thing we have lacked in a RB for a long time ) he has good hands out of the backfield ( Haley would love that aspect of his game ) but I am not sold at all on his power between the tackle running will be tough on him at the next level if their is not a hole to run in he does go down with arm tackles at the Collegiate level it will be much tougher at the next level , I just do not see him as the kind of back to get those tough yards on a consistent basis ( not that I am always right ) if I was to compare him to a current or former NFL RB I guess the best comparison I can come up with off the top of my head would be a poor mans Clinton Portis .. similar size , speed . running style ..... again just my take on him others may see it differently (late 3rd to 4th round grade from me )

Seven
12-22-2012, 10:59 AM
What do you guys think of Xavier Rhodes? I wish he was a little faster but the skill set seems to be there. Really haven't seen much though which is why I'm asking.

Dwinsgames
12-22-2012, 11:46 AM
What do you guys think of Xavier Rhodes? I wish he was a little faster but the skill set seems to be there. Really haven't seen much though which is why I'm asking.

I like him actually just watched some tape on him yesterday . he has very good leaping ability and ball awareness , solid tackler and is not shy to engage in run support ....

check out this on youtube , a few times in that game he made the jump and stretched out to bat a ball away ... in and around the football a lot at the LOS on run plays as well ... I think he could have pos flexibility at the next level and look at him as a good Safety prospect as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw9oHp46Yqs

he wont last to long on the board though if we did not go after him in the first he will be gone by the time we select in the second IMO

LLT
12-22-2012, 09:37 PM

We talked about him earlier in this thread....most agreed that he may have to move to safety...but could be a stud at that position.

Texasteel
12-23-2012, 11:54 AM
We talked about him earlier in this thread....most agreed that he may have to move to safety...but could be a stud at that position.

I like what I've seen out of him as well. I also think that there are several CBs that the pros will be switching to safty, this is good for us since we need a safty.

Been gone a while, got a lot of threads to read through to catch up with you guys.

Seven
12-23-2012, 12:01 PM
I like what I've seen out of him as well. I also think that there are several CBs that the pros will be switching to safty, this is good for us since we need a safty.

Been gone a while, got a lot of threads to read through to catch up with you guys.

I like him actually just watched some tape on him yesterday . he has very good leaping ability and ball awareness , solid tackler and is not shy to engage in run support ....

check out this on youtube , a few times in that game he made the jump and stretched out to bat a ball away ... in and around the football a lot at the LOS on run plays as well ... I think he could have pos flexibility at the next level and look at him as a good Safety prospect as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw9oHp46Yqs

he wont last to long on the board though if we did not go after him in the first he will be gone by the time we select in the second IMO

Thanks guys, I've seen him projected as high as top ten and as low as second round. I know it's early, but we'd have to give up a pretty premium pick for him either way. I'll have to check out the video shared as well as more of him to determine whether I personally think he'd be worth it or not - but I remembered the name because the one FSU game I saw he stood out to me.

Dwinsgames
12-23-2012, 05:46 PM
not much to do now other than focus on the draft

Steeltreal
12-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Phillip Thomas SS Hawaii bowl tomorrow Fresno St

Dwinsgames
12-24-2012, 11:37 AM
as of right now we are selecting around 14th ... that changes everything if we lose again next week ( would not doubt it ) a Charger and Jets win and we may be in the top dozen .....

T'eo range ......

43Hitman
12-24-2012, 12:02 PM
as of right now we are selecting around 14th ... that changes everything if we lose again next week ( would not doubt it ) a Charger and Jets win and we may be in the top dozen .....

T'eo range ......

How freaking sweet would that be!?

Dwinsgames
12-24-2012, 12:08 PM
How freaking sweet would that be!?

I just hope we do not get disappointed , thinking back to the year we took Timmons as the consolation prize when Patrick Willis went off the board ......

Hindes204
12-24-2012, 12:27 PM
I think T'eo will be gone by the time we pick, even if we are at 12

st33lersguy
12-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Needs: RB who will run with authority, OLB to replace Harrison and provide depth, S to start for Troy and Clark for when they retire (which won't be too long as both are over 30) and to hopefully knock Mundy off the 53 man-rosters, a WR who can actually catch and hold onto a real football, DE to replace Ziggy Hood who has been a bust, and OL which completely fell apart the last 3 weeks

Dwinsgames
12-24-2012, 07:49 PM
under the pretense of T'eo being gone when we select my favorite thing would be to trade down 6-7 spots and pickup an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder for making the move and taking T.J McDonald S USC or Kenny Vaccaro S Texas ...take the extra second and go after Nico Johnson along with Amerson

hell I would even consider some teams 2nd and third this year and next years first ....

then I would target David Amerson CB and Nico Johnson ILB Alabama ...in the second in the third Le'veon Bell RB Michigan state or Stephan Taylor RB Stanford and Shawn Williams SS Georgia ...

who knows though ... I know we need 2 starters on Def in 2013 ( 1 that will actually start ILB ) and 1 who can start in the secondary specifically at S ...

Hindes204
12-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Haven't read through the whole thread, so sorry if he's been talked about already, but I've been watching some tape on Mingo from LSU...he's a bit raw, but I think he could fit in nicely. Harrison isn't getting any younger. Mingo was once talked about as a top five pick but his stock has fallen a bit, odds are he may be available. Thoughts??

Dwinsgames
12-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Haven't read through the whole thread, so sorry if he's been talked about already, but I've been watching some tape on Mingo from LSU...he's a bit raw, but I think he could fit in nicely. Harrison isn't getting any younger. Mingo was once talked about as a top five pick but his stock has fallen a bit, odds are he may be available. Thoughts??

Mingo is still a 1st round guy , just not sure if the value is there considering Harrison came on later in the year from a play making / pressure standpoint ( he got healthier and it showed ) granted moving forward one must consider his age and know it is a matter of time before he fails and continues to fail vs what we seen a few years back ... that being said I still think the bigger issue is inside , we have nothing after Foote and Timmons , Foote an UFA ( unrestricted free agent ) that may not be back and even if he is he is old too ( well wrong side of 30 old in football years ) with an empty spot and no depth it has to be the bigger concern IMO ....

that is not to say Mingo would not be a good pick , but unless they could have a deal in place to acquire a guy Like McClain from Oakland prior to making a pick for Mingo it would be a big risk and your entire draft could suffer ... Safety is also a bigger concern for me than OLB where both the starters are on the wrong side of 30 and 1 of them has been injury plagued ( Troy ) with the only quality depth being Allen whom is also an UFA ....

Our current cap situation will limit what we are able to do even with our own FA's ( we are way over the 2013 cap and only have 35 players signed in 2013 and a rookie class to incorporate ) that is partly why I feel we need to go S in the first round , we need to have a guy ready to step in for Troy and Clark that has quality because they will see the field with starts at some point in 2013 based on age / injury alone ...

I think Safety will not only need to be visited in the first but again at some point before the draft ends ( preferable in the next 3 rounds there after ) with ILB being addressed as well in between those selections at S .... I would not be shocked to see something like S ILB ILB S being the first 4 picks .... but prefer S , ILB RB , S ILB.... who knows what they will do though ....

best case scenario is one of the tops QB prospects falls in our laps and some other team is in love with them and over pays us to move up and take him ..that would have me doing back flips across this board :yay3:

a loss to the browns coupled with a Charger and Jets win on Sunday would not hurt our chances any for that to happen

st33lersguy
12-26-2012, 12:37 PM

I am concerned that his has fallen over the course of the football season leading me to believe he hasn't had a good season. I prefer college production over potential. Besides if he has enough athletic ability he will probably have a good enough combine performance to vault him back into the top 5

Aussie_steeler
12-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Mingo scares me somewhat. I see a bit of Aaron maybin in him but sometimes I see a little Aldon Smith . In the end I see A tall, lean guy with explosive speed. I don't see a frame that can handle more weight being out on. I don't see a guy who can play the run in the same manner as Harrison.

Damontre Moore is the dream pick for me. Just can't see it happening.

LLT
12-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Mingo scares me somewhat. I see a bit of Aaron maybin in him but sometimes I see a little Aldon Smith . In the end I see A tall, lean guy with explosive speed. I don't see a frame that can handle more weight being out on. I don't see a guy who can play the run in the same manner as Harrison.

Damontre Moore is the dream pick for me. Just can't see it happening.

Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosely returning for his senior year has me rethinking this draft. I think he is going to be a special player when he comes out next year and Im not as sold on some of the ILB's that are in our "range" in the first round....and like Dwinsgames, I am now considering a safety. The only problem with that is that I think there are VERY good safeties in the later rounds.

Seven
12-27-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm really starting to think pass rusher might be the way to go here. As some of you have mentioned, inside linebacker looks questionable in the upper rounds and defensive backs are pretty deep in this class. I think we could fill the linebacker spot with a free agent or give Sly his shot. Allen/Clark and maybe Troy should be fine for another year. First two guys seem pretty durable and played great this season. I know we all want a young stud safety but you have to give a little somewhere, and looking at the way this year ended up I think the lack of pass rush lead to the lack of turnovers. So I'm going to be focusing an a guy to rush the quarterback - at least for now. We all know how much things will change by April :chuckle:

Drazo85
12-28-2012, 05:09 PM
What is the Mike Mauti injury status? How bad he hurt his knee? I have watched him couple times this season, and he was all over the field. Natural leader, sure tackler,... Any thoughts about him?

43Hitman
12-28-2012, 07:03 PM
What is the Mike Mauti injury status? How bad he hurt his knee? I have watched him couple times this season, and he was all over the field. Natural leader, sure tackler,... Any thoughts about him?

Where does he play, and what position?

LLT
12-28-2012, 08:50 PM

Scares me to death...three serious knee injuries in 4 years. The latest was a season ending injury...but he racked up good numbers prior to it.

Where does he play, and what position?

Linebacker...Penn State

Hindes204
12-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Scares me to death...three serious knee injuries in 4 years. The latest was a season ending injury...but he racked up good numbers prior to it.

Linebacker...Penn State

scares me too..... Two ACL injuries, one in each knee, a shoulder injury, the guy can't seem to stay healthy. He has great potential and when healthy plays like a beast, but he's one hell of a risk.

43Hitman
12-29-2012, 01:47 AM

Linebacker...Penn State

Thanks. :)

Dwinsgames
12-29-2012, 10:40 AM
late round flyer , not because of the lack of skill but as it has already been stated for whatever reason he just can not stay healthy , call it bad luck or call it fragile internal parts regardless of how you look at it at the end of the day to help any team you have to be able to suit up every week and he has just not proven the ability to be able to do that .....

Kendrell Bell was one hell of a player who was just never able to stay on the field for one injury after another and Mauti reminds me a little of Bell ........

Maybe its the injury bug aspect but I can not get it out of my head for whatever reason

43Hitman
12-29-2012, 01:42 PM
late round flyer , not because of the lack of skill but as it has already been stated for whatever reason he just can not stay healthy , call it bad luck or call it fragile internal parts regardless of how you look at it at the end of the day to help any team you have to be able to suit up every week and he has just not proven the ability to be able to do that .....

Kendrell Bell was one hell of a player who was just never able to stay on the field for one injury after another and Mauti reminds me a little of Bell ........

Maybe its the injury bug aspect but I can not get it out of my head for whatever reason

I had such high hopes for 'Contact', he just couldn't stay on the field. Didn't he end up in KC?

st33lersguy
12-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Personally I would like to get Stefan Taylor, RB Stanford, in the 2nd or 3rd round. The Steelers need a starting caliber RB, and I wouldn't mind spending a 2nd round pick to get him.

Dwinsgames
12-29-2012, 02:32 PM
I had such high hopes for 'Contact', he just couldn't stay on the field. Didn't he end up in KC?

yea he went to KC and fizzled out like a wet match , again he was always hurt or had some lingering issue that kept his performance to a minimal

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I would like to get Stefan Taylor, RB Stanford, in the 2nd or 3rd round. The Steelers need a starting caliber RB, and I wouldn't mind spending a 2nd round pick to get him.

I like Taylor too , just like Le'veon Bell a little more would be happy to get either of them in B&G

salamander
12-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Who are some QB's that would be worth looking at as a back-up to Ben?

I apologize if this was already discussed in the thread, I'm just too lazy to look. :lol:

Dwinsgames
12-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Who are some QB's that would be worth looking at as a back-up to Ben?

I apologize if this was already discussed in the thread, I'm just too lazy to look. :lol:

I am big on Brad Sorensen in the Middle rounds of the draft , I think we have to many needs early on to spend a pick that we hope does not see the field ...

he ( to me ) has a lot of Ben in his game and would be a perfect guy to sit and learn a few years behind someone like Ben who is similar in size , arm strength and intangibles .. has a pretty high completion percentage as well and like Ben comes from a smaller program but is a BYU transfer so has some big program ability

Hindes204
12-29-2012, 07:37 PM
I am big on Brad Sorensen in the Middle rounds of the draft , I think we have to many needs early on to spend a pick that we hope does not see the field ...

he ( to me ) has a lot of Ben in his game and would be a perfect guy to sit and learn a few years behind someone like Ben who is similar in size , arm strength and intangibles .. has a pretty high completion percentage as well and like Ben comes from a smaller program but is a BYU transfer so has some big program ability

What do you think about Landry Jones? Is he worth the second round pick?

Dwinsgames
12-30-2012, 10:04 AM
What do you think about Landry Jones? Is he worth the second round pick?

very worthy , but like I said earlier , from my perspective we can ill afford at this point in time to spend a high round pick on a guy we pray does not make it on the field as long as we have Ben considering the other issues we have with lack of talent/depth and age perspectives of the starters ... but that is just how I look at it ...

I am sure others will be willing to say if Ben goes down and what exactly do we have ( and it is a valid point ) ....

I am not sure Jones gives you anything physically Sorensen does not give you with exception of playing in a larger arena to this point in their careers , both are 60% plus percentage passers that can make the big time throw when called upon , both are big physical presences under Center ..... both have a good to excellent td/int ratios .... neither are real fleet of foot .....

just my opinion though ....

Texasteel
12-30-2012, 03:53 PM
I think I'm backing off a QB all together, unless there is an unusual value at some pick. I do hope that they can find a veteren to sign as a back up. I guess now we can start getting down to buisness.

Dwinsgames
12-30-2012, 03:57 PM
I think I'm backing off a QB all together, unless there is an unusual value at some pick. I do hope that they can find a veteren to sign as a back up. I guess now we can start getting down to buisness.

yep by days end we will know exactly when we select come April

Dwinsgames
12-30-2012, 06:53 PM
the win today hurt us as far as draft pos... as of this moment we select 18th ... if the Rams can make a comeback from a score down we would be at 17 .... hate to say it but I am rooting for the Cowboys to be the skins tonight and the potential of 16th selection ... ( had we lost we could have been top 12-14 )

edit .... Rams lost so best case scenario 17th selection ( that comes with a Cowboy Win a Cowboy loss we pick 18th according to the standings at NFL.com )

atlsteelers
01-01-2013, 11:54 AM
I would be stoked if any of my bulldogs get drafted by the steelers..alec olgletree would look great replcing Larry foote. Barcdi rambo would look great playing safety...jarvis jones will be gone by the time we draft.

LLT
01-02-2013, 03:08 AM
Well its getting closer to that time in which we will start posting our draft page. I love this time of year as things "start" to fall in place for the NFle draft and we get little hints as to where we might be looking.

Just looking at prospect ratings and where we might what positions we need, I noticed that there are some significant points to be made. Most significant is that outside of the first two rounds this is a TERRIBLE draft for 3/4 OLB. Also noted that We are in a pretty good spot for a team to trade with if their is a run on a certain position

So working around those issues here is a sample mock draft.

1st round: Strong Safety Matt Elam of Florida. 5'10 202
I dont think there is any doubt that our two biggest needs are Safety and ILB. Elam has shot up the boards as the consensus best safety in this class. He is a sure tackler and seems to possess very strong instincts. I have no doubts that he would be available at #17. I think that this might be a good year to trade from this spot but if we stay in place I can see Elam holding up a Steelers jersey.

2nd Round: Inside Linebacker Kevin Minter of LSU. 6'2 245
Solid ILB prospect with good size and the disposition to be the thumper inside that we need. As I have stated before, I dont think Sean Spense was drafted as a full time ILB, but rather for those plays in which his skillset can neutralize the hybrid TE's that have become popular throughout the league. Minter would be the replacement for Larry Foote and would give us a great inside tandem beside Lawrence Timmons.

3rd Round: Running Back LeVeon Bell of Michigan State 6'2 244
The value at RB in this years draft is in the back half of the second round through the third round. Bell is the Big 10 rushing leader and is one of those exceptional players that seems to gain momentum as games progress. He is a bull and does a very good job of hitting holes while squared up... keeping his legs moving. He is a punishing back that will wear down DT's and LBers. Our RB corps may be without Mendenhall next year and Bell would be a nice addition to share snaps with Dwyer.

4th Round: Wide Reciever Denard Robinson of Michigan. 5'11 197
Former QB who projects as a reciever in th Pros. Robinson runs a 4.39 forty, and if drafted, would be a candidate to take Wallace's place in stretching defenses. As a former QB Robinson should have a short learning curve in regards to running passing routes and could help the team immediately as a reciever and on ST's.

5th Round: CB Robert Alford of Southeast Louisiana. 5'11 190
With 4.40 speed and legitimate ball skills, Alford finished his career with 10 interceptions. He also had 12 passes defended this year and returned one interception for a touchdown. We should have a better idea if this small school prospect is legitimate after the senior bowl,

5th Round (Projected Compensatory pick): SS/FS Shamarko Thomas of Syracuse 5'10 210
Athletic safety with extreme speed. Willing tackler but is often so aggressive that his speed takes him out of the play when he bites on pump fakes or savvy play calling. Carnell Lake will find it easier to reign Thomas in...then if he had to light a fire under him. With good coaching, Thomas could shut down portions of the field.

6th Round: OLB Michael Mauti of Penn State. 6'2 235
Here is where we can afford to gamble. Mauti has an extensive history of injuries and some scouts will pass on him due to a feeling that he might not be durable enough for the NFL. The Steelers can take a chance with a 6th reound pick and if it pans out they will have a player that posseses 1st round talent. Mauti is a high character...high motor...team leader. Mauti ranked in the top 10 in the Big Ten in tackles, interceptions, and forced fumbles.

7th Round: Quarterback Collin Klein of Kansas State. 6'5 226
Klein is a nimble QB with an accurate arm. He makes defenses suffer if they give him a running lane. He combined for 40 TD's in 2011 and 37 TD's this past year. He connected on 66.2% of his passes but does have a weird throwing motion that may have to be corrected. Cerebral player who generally makes good decisions. His accuracy suffers on longer throws but Haleys offense is built around the short and intermediate passes.

Seven
01-02-2013, 04:39 AM
Well its getting closer to that time in which we will start posting our draft page. I love this time of year as things "start" to fall in place for the NFle draft and we get little hints as to where we might be looking.

Just looking at prospect ratings and where we might what positions we need, I noticed that there are some significant points to be made. Most significant is that outside of the first two rounds this is a TERRIBLE draft for 3/4 OLB. Also noted that We are in a pretty good spot for a team to trade with if their is a run on a certain position

So working around those issues here is a sample mock draft.

1st round: Strong Safety Matt Elam of Florida. 5'10 202
I dont think there is any doubt that our two biggest needs are Safety and ILB. Elam has shot up the boards as the consensus best safety in this class. He is a sure tackler and seems to possess very strong instincts. I have no doubts that he would be available at #17. I think that this might be a good year to trade from this spot but if we stay in place I can see Elam holding up a Steelers jersey.

2nd Round: Inside Linebacker Kevin Minter of LSU. 6'2 245
Solid ILB prospect with good size and the disposition to be the thumper inside that we need. As I have stated before, I dont think Sean Spense was drafted as a full time ILB, but rather for those plays in which his skillset can neutralize the hybrid TE's that have become popular throughout the league. Minter would be the replacement for Larry Foote and would give us a great inside tandem beside Lawrence Timmons.

3rd Round: Running Back LeVeon Bell of Michigan State 6'2 244
The value at RB in this years draft is in the back half of the second round through the third round. Bell is the Big 10 rushing leader and is one of those exceptional players that seems to gain momentum as games progress. He is a bull and does a very good job of hitting holes while squared up... keeping his legs moving. He is a punishing back that will wear down DT's and LBers. Our RB corps may be without Mendenhall next year and Bell would be a nice addition to share snaps with Dwyer.

4th Round: Wide Reciever Denard Robinson of Michigan. 5'11 197
Former QB who projects as a reciever in th Pros. Robinson runs a 4.39 forty, and if drafted, would be a candidate to take Wallace's place in stretching defenses. As a former QB Robinson should have a short learning curve in regards to running passing routes and could help the team immediately as a reciever and on ST's.

5th Round: CB Robert Alford of Southeast Louisiana. 5'11 190
With 4.40 speed and legitimate ball skills, Alford finished his career with 10 interceptions. He also had 12 passes defended this year and returned one interception for a touchdown. We should have a better idea if this small school prospect is legitimate after the senior bowl,

5th Round (Projected Compensatory pick): SS/FS Shamarko Thomas of Syracuse 5'10 210
Athletic safety with extreme speed. Willing tackler but is often so aggressive that his speed takes him out of the play when he bites on pump fakes or savvy play calling. Carnell Lake will find it easier to reign Thomas in...then if he had to light a fire under him. With good coaching, Thomas could shut down portions of the field.

6th Round: OLB Michael Mauti of Penn State. 6'2 235
Here is where we can afford to gamble. Mauti has an extensive history of injuries and some scouts will pass on him due to a feeling that he might not be durable enough for the NFL. The Steelers can take a chance with a 6th reound pick and if it pans out they will have a player that posseses 1st round talent. Mauti is a high character...high motor...team leader. Mauti ranked in the top 10 in the Big Ten in tackles, interceptions, and forced fumbles.

7th Round: Quarterback Collin Klein of Kansas State. 6'5 226
Klein is a nimble QB with an accurate arm. He makes defenses suffer if they give him a running lane. He combined for 40 TD's in 2011 and 37 TD's this past year. He connected on 66.2% of his passes but does have a weird throwing motion that may have to be corrected. Cerebral player who generally makes good decisions. His accuracy suffers on longer throws but Haleys offense is built around the short and intermediate passes.

Lots of big names on that. Can't help but like it. Love the Klein call. I'm not someone who is a big fan of the "develop" a young backup quarterback philosophy but I wouldn't mind bringing him to camp at all. Most of those players have pretty big reputations. Not a guy I don't like there.

LLT
01-02-2013, 06:27 AM
Lots of big names on that. Can't help but like it. Love the Klein call. I'm not someone who is a big fan of the "develop" a young backup quarterback philosophy but I wouldn't mind bringing him to camp at all. Most of those players have pretty big reputations. Not a guy I don't like there.

Mauti is the player on that list that worries me the most. But like I said,there is a real lack of quality 3/4 OLB's anywhere past round 2. Who knows, maybe we look in free agency if we can free up some cap space. One OLB that we could get in the later rounds, other than Mauti, that I am at least intrigued about is Lerentee McCray of Florida....but I need to look at more tape on him.

Id also add Alexander Ogletree is still available in Round 3, He would be worth a look into moving to OLB.

atlsteelers
01-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Id also add Alexander Ogletree is still available in Round 3, He would be worth a look into moving to OLB.

All the talk i hear about Alec is that he is projected as a mid first round pick. The dude can fly. For an ILB he can really get after the QB. I am worried he would be off the board before the steelers pick in the first round.

LLT
01-03-2013, 01:27 AM
All the talk i hear about Alec is that he is projected as a mid first round pick. The dude can fly. For an ILB he can really get after the QB. I am worried he would be off the board before the steelers pick in the first round.

I agree that he is an interesting prospect....but I still show him as a late 2nd rounder/early 3rd rounder. I havent seen him mentioned as a first rounder yet, but its still early.

Here is an interesting scenerio.

Our first round pick (#17) is worth 950 poinits on the trade value chart.

4 teams in the top 8 are looking for a QB, and may need to trade up from the second round to grab one mid way through the first. They would have to trade us their 2nd and 3rd round...plus a 3rd next year for our slot. (Thats the most likely trade offer)

TONS of value in that trade. We could then grab...

2nd: ILB Minter
2nd: Safety Vaccaro
3rd: OLB Ogletree
3rd: RB Bell
4th: WR Robinson
5th: Safety Thomas
5th: CB Alford
6th: DE Steinkuhler
7th: QB Klein

Steeltreal
01-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Id upgrade the receiver in the 3rd and target Jamie Collins for OLB, Robinson is bigger gamble than Taamu

LLT
01-03-2013, 11:07 AM
We have gambled twice in recent memory, on quarterback turned wide receiver...one from Georgia and one from Indiana. Both ripened out very well.

Steeltreal
01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
We have gambled twice in recent memory, on quarterback turned wide receiver...one from Georgia and one from Indiana. Both ripened out very well.
very true I like the gambler mentality myself

Hindes204
01-03-2013, 12:32 PM
I agree that he is an interesting prospect....but I still show him as a late 2nd rounder/early 3rd rounder. I havent seen him mentioned as a first rounder yet, but its still early.

no way Ogletree falls all the way to late second/early third...his stock has fallen a little bit because of disciplinary issues and a failed drug test, but I'll be stunned if he isn't selected in the first round

Shoes
01-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Good stuff LLT.....I don't follow college football so this is always fun to read up to draft time!

Dwinsgames
01-04-2013, 10:33 PM
last year a kid named Burfict was slated as a first round talent and went undrafted due to having some " issues" and coupled that with a poor showing at the combine .... The Bengals grabbed him up and he started all season and played pretty well I might add .... cost vs performance he may have been the top rookie in the class if you look at it in that manner ...

just saying slides happen all the time and not always because of documented stuff sometimes it is just rumors ... Dan Marino ( coke head rumor fell from top 5-10 selection to 27th or so can't recall for certain and not gonna look it up ) some slides are far larger than others ... Personally I never seen Ogletree as a first round talent in this draft ... most sites even have him as a 2nd to 3rd round guy ( at least the ones I have looked at ) and to me that is where his talent level suggests he should go he is probably the 5th best ILB in this draft and you normally get 2 -3 max per round come off the board at that pos in most drafts that would place him somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd round ..

1) Te'o

2) Nico Johnson

3) Skov

4) Minter

5) Ogletree

that's how I see it shaking out in order of how they come off the board but ...That is just my opinion , come April we all find out Skovs health will play a large part he could go up or down a spot

43Hitman
01-05-2013, 01:14 PM
last year a kid named Burfict was slated as a first round talent and went undrafted due to having some " issues" and coupled that with a poor showing at the combine .... The Bengals grabbed him up and he started all season and played pretty well I might add .... cost vs performance he may have been the top rookie in the class if you look at it in that manner ...

just saying slides happen all the time and not always because of documented stuff sometimes it is just rumors ... Dan Marino ( coke head rumor fell from top 5-10 selection to 27th or so can't recall for certain and not gonna look it up ) some slides are far larger than others ... Personally I never seen Ogletree as a first round talent in this draft ... most sites even have him as a 2nd to 3rd round guy ( at least the ones I have looked at ) and to me that is where his talent level suggests he should go he is probably the 5th best ILB in this draft and you normally get 2 -3 max per round come off the board at that pos in most drafts that would place him somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd round ..

1) Te'o

2) Nico Johnson

3) Skov

4) Minter

5) Ogletree

that's how I see it shaking out in order of how they come off the board but ...That is just my opinion , come April we all find out Skovs health will play a large part he could go up or down a spot

Burfict is a good example. He played very well for the Bengals this year, I remember him in on several plays against us. If we can get this Ogletree kid in a later round, that would be great. ILB seems to be our greatest need besides safety.

Dwinsgames
01-05-2013, 04:57 PM

3 times if you count " Slash" they just did not keep him there ( when they probably should have )

43Hitman
01-05-2013, 05:26 PM
3 times if you count " Slash" they just did not keep him there ( when they probably should have )

Would have worked perfectly if they had stuck to their guns, but Cowher fell in love with him. To me that was Cowher's biggest mistake coaching wise.

SteelerFanInStl
01-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Would have worked perfectly if they had stuck to their guns, but Cowher fell in love with him. To me that was Cowher's biggest mistake coaching wise.

If you remember, Kordell didn't want to play WR. He thought that he was a QB. It's kind of difficult to force a player into a position that he doesn't want to play.

43Hitman
01-06-2013, 10:46 AM
If you remember, Kordell didn't want to play WR. He thought that he was a QB. It's kind of difficult to force a player into a position that he doesn't want to play.
Oh I remember, that's what I'm getting at. Cowher should have never let him play QB, he was awful and if he didn't want to play WR then we should have cut his ass.

Dwinsgames
01-06-2013, 11:31 AM

its pretty amazing how quickly players will change their mind if they know they will be out of work if they do not conform to the employers wishes

Aussie_steeler
01-10-2013, 04:17 AM
Senior bowl site has some great info for you guys

http://www.seniorbowl.com/news.asp

Some great PDF's highlighting individual players.

At this point the ones of interest for me are (in no particular order and will open as a pdf file):

1. John Simon (http://www.seniorbowl.com/files/John%20Simon%20Profile(2).pdf)
2. Jesse Williams (http://www.seniorbowl.com/files/Jesse%20Williams%20Profile(1).pdf)
3. Johnthan Banks (http://www.seniorbowl.com/files/JOHNTHAN%20BANKS%20SB%20PROFILE(1).pdf)
4. Bacarri Rambo (http://www.seniorbowl.com/files/BACARRI%20RAMBO%20SB%20PROFILE.pdf)
5. Kiko Alonso (http://www.seniorbowl.com/files/SB%20KIKO%20ALONSO%20PROFILE.pdf)

Rion
01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
What are your thoughts of Alabama's TE Michael Williams? Would he be worth a Steelers pick in the 2nd or 3rd round?

NJarhead
01-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Oh I remember, that's what I'm getting at. Cowher should have never let him play QB, he was awful and if he didn't want to play WR then we should have cut his ass.

For the most part, but 1997 and 2001 were great years.

But I do agree, he could have been a great WR. Maybe Wes Welker before Wes Welker was.

LLT
01-11-2013, 06:48 AM
What are your thoughts of Alabama's TE Michael Williams? Would he be worth a Steelers pick in the 2nd or 3rd round?

I really dont think that TE is such a need as to warrant a high pick. I also am not entirely unhappy with our current TE's...other than Polk.

Dwinsgames
01-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I really dont think that TE is such a need as to warrant a high pick. I also am not entirely unhappy with our current TE's...other than Polk.

Polk ?

you mean Pope ?

NJarhead
01-11-2013, 01:37 PM

Polk ?

you mean Pope ?

And if you do, why? He's a good pass catcher. I thought he was a good pick up for us.

Dwinsgames
01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
And if you do, why? He's a good pass catcher. I thought he was a good pick up for us.

personally I am not hot or cold on Pope . he is what he is an Ok blocker and an ok pass catcher nothing special in either regard but as a 3rd string option not many teams have anything better so unless you are looking at Health Millers eventual replacement ( a top tier guy ) via the draft what Pope does for what he is paid is pretty much inline with anything anybody else has at #3 on the depth chart ( and in some ways more ) so as long as he does not screw up majorly he is doing exactly what he is paid to do ....

I am still interested in finding more out about this Polk guy though :D

Aussie_steeler
01-12-2013, 03:14 AM

Unless he runs like the wind I see him as a 4th to 6th round pick.

Someone like Zach Ertz from Stanford is more likely a 2nd to 3rd round steeler candidate

NCSteeler
01-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Not being much of a draftnik. I read that T'eo is looking at a slide to the 2nd round after his terrible outing in the Champ game. The analysis I read basically didn't just dump him for one bad game but used it as a reason to review past games against NFL caliber opponents and he didn't show that well. He already had the knock of being weak in coverage , now with him showing poorly against the run, What do ya'll think? I know I've seen a lot of online folks wanting us to draft him.

st33lersguy
01-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Not being much of a draftnik. I read that T'eo is looking at a slide to the 2nd round after his terrible outing in the Champ game. The analysis I read basically didn't just dump him for one bad game but used it as a reason to review past games against NFL caliber opponents and he didn't show that well. He already had the knock of being weak in coverage , now with him showing poorly against the run, What do ya'll think? I know I've seen a lot of online folks wanting us to draft him.

It is stupid to dismiss a prospect just off one bad game and if the Steelers pass up Te'o, I am going to be fuming mad

Dwinsgames
01-12-2013, 03:09 PM

for me , this reminds me so much of the knock on Ben when he was going through the draft process and people pointing towards his poor outing against Michigan tossing 3 picks and only throwing for just over 200 yards .... bad games happen and horrible games happen when your entire team is outclassed ...

will Te'o stock fall ...YES
will it fall off the charts ... NO

but if I am honest I never was one who expected him to be a top 5 pick to begin with as many mock drafts had suggested , you just do not get that many ILBs drafted in the first round let alone top 5 , Hell Patrick Willis was a better prospect in my mind by a lot and he was not a top 5 pick ....

Te'o should go in the middle part of the first round and slide no further than 20 .... before that game I figured 12-17 now I figure 15-20 so yes he slid some in my mind but nothing horrendous an no way in hell he falls into the second round unless he gets a DUI or tests pos for a ban substance or blows out a knee or something at the combine ..... just my take

Chidi29
01-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Every prospect is going to have a bad game. It's just the way the sport works. So the "fall" is probably more hyped by the media than it is inside scouting circles. Though having tat game against a team that runs a lot of similar blocking schemes (inside zone) you'll get in the NFL, it hurts you a little more.

LLT
01-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Polk ?

you mean Pope ?

Have I ever mentioned i hate posting from my phone...stupid auto correction...nothing ever comes out the way you octopus.

If Teo is there at #17...it will take the Steelers about one microsecond to get their pick to the podium.

Dwinsgames
01-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Have I ever mentioned i hate posting from my phone...stupid auto correction...nothing ever comes out the way you octopus.

If Teo is there at #17...it will take the Steelers about one microsecond to get their pick to the podium.

hahah phones and internet is never a great combo ... guess that is why it is sold as a phone and not a computer that can make calls

Drazo85
01-12-2013, 08:47 PM
What do you guys think about Marcus Davis from Virginia Tech and where he can go in the draft (on many boards he`s a second day selection) ? He`s a pretty big guy who can create mismatches on the outside, he doesn`t possess elite speed but can be big red zone target. I know he has some issues with his downfield blocking and effort, but he can be that high reward-low risk type of gamble.

Aussie_steeler
01-13-2013, 05:05 AM
Mock Update for 2013

1. Jesse Williams NT Alabama. Improve the middle of the D line, occupy two linemen, inturn makes it easier for the ILB's to do their job. Remember our ILB's are never going to be Levon Kirkland type thumpers but cover guys who blitz inside. Most of the blitzes this season were interior blitzes. Le Beau doesn't blitz from the outside like he used to with his CB's and OLB's. Williams improves 3 positions in one.

2. Terrance Williams WR Baylor 6'2 205" Wallace is gone IMO. I love De'andre Hopkins but he will be gone. Justin Hunter reminds me of Limas Sweed - a very good prospect with suspect hands. I play it safe by taking Williams who has great hands, works the sideline extremely well, is not scared to go across the middle and has good straight line speed when needed. A playmaker is needed to support Brown and Sanders.

3. Kiko Alonso ILB Oregon 6'3 242" - I love Sean Spence as a prospect coming out. I loved that we drafted him. I am not 100% sure that he can come back and last long term. Alonso is a player who has a nose for the ball and also an ability to fire into the hole to meet the runner or QB. I love his knee bend and power that results. Yes he is a nut case with a record and if you listen to any interviews he sounds like his mission in life is to play football and not much else. Timmons will be around for the long haul, however another partner in crime will be needed to replace Larry Foote in the future. ( I am not going to mock it here but I can see Manti Te'o being the eventual 2013 pick)

4. Shawn Williams S Georgia 6'1 218 - had a shocker in his last game. I still think this guy is a player. He has a nose for the ball and makes stops and picks. I still have faith that his ability translates well to the NFL. Strong safety who could handle FS if needed.

5. Christine Michael RB Texas A&M 5'11 220" - had a limited role behind Malena and Manziel who took most of the carries. Very talented back who has been lost behind a number of players during his college career. Had some injury issues earlier in his career. His body hasn't seen a huge workload. Check out his tape and you may well like what you see.

6. Levine Toilolo TE Stanford 6'6 260" - Played backup to Fleener and then Ertz at Stanford. Works the middle of the field well as per the Stanford recipe. ( I would love to have mocked CB Josh Johnson from Purdue here but I think Heath Miller's injury may force the issue to find a TE. If they keep Leonard Pope then I would swap this pick for the CB)

7. Cornelius Washington DE / OLB Georgia 6'4 268' - put on 20lbs to help the team out at DE. Was a rush OLB with great speed. Let him drop the weight and get him back to his natural position. Worth a gamble. This guy jumped out when I was watching film on Shawn Williams '-- That Georgia D is going to produce some good pro's even though bama run riot on them recently. ( I want to jump on the 2014 Anthony Barr for OLB bandwagon now. We can do with Harrison, Carter, Worilds and Robinson for 2013 at ROLB)

7. (Comp for William gay) Lane Taylor OG Oklahoma State 6'3 328 - Watch the film for Joseph Randle. I will guarantee that you will see #68 at Right guard just eating up guys and opening lanes for Randle. This guy is again a player who does the small things well.

I know the NT pick in the first is not going to attract too many fans, however I think Williams gives the team more in the long run than a player like Montgomery or Mingo at OLB. Cordarrelle Patterson at WR would be a great pick but you know my mode of operation, its Le Beau's turn to get the first round pick. Le Beau doesn't pick Cb's in the first and in reality Teo may well drop. If he does then I think it takes 2 seconds to make the pick. I just see him still going in the top 15 if the draft was now.

I know I am short at OT, QB, FS and CB. I think, all except QB, that those players are on the roster in waiting.

Dwinsgames
01-13-2013, 11:45 AM
solid looking draft Aussie , I just am not a fan of the direction in correlation of team needs ...

we have 3 NT on the roster for next season ( with Big Snack being out of the equation ) 3 guys out of 35 or so under contract for 2013 , Granted 1 of those may well be tired up in legal wranglings or in Jail but still leaving you with 2 capable players IMO ..

The Lane Taylor comp pick would be a real coup IMO ,( but I suspect we will do a little better than a 7th round comp for Gay ) I too have noticed his ability to man up with whomever is in front of him and be able to push them aside to make a hole in the run game , he is pretty solid in pass pro as well .. nothing flashy but quietly gets his job done on a more than satisfactory level and goes unnoticed for the most part ( and that is what you want from you lineman IMO )

Mingo scares the hell out of me ! he has boom or bust written all over him from where I sit , he may be the next best thing since sliced bread but on the other hand the pro game may prove to be to strong for him and he could fizzle out like a pilot light when the gas gets shut off ..... I do not believe I ( me personally if I was the GM ) could make that selection in the first round ( even though he is probably gone before we even pick )

I feel we have bigger needs than a WR in the all important second round and could come out of the round with an impact type player for 2013 instead of a role player in 2013 and more down the line ... This is a make it break it year for Tomlins group another season like 2012 and he could be on the hot seat based on our record and the combined record of our opponents nobody drafting before us played a weaker schedule than we did .... that was a schedule that should have all but handed us the division crown and instead we sit at home during the playoffs ..they need to hit on these early picks and come away with starter quality guys now , not in a few years ... that all opinion , many may see it differently ......

for the record I am not opposed to trading back to a later spot in the first round picking up some additional selections to bargain my way back into the top part of the second round and coming away with a couple play makers and 3 guys drafted in the top 50 taken , and netting me a DB and a pair of Linebacker ILB and OLB ....

if we could trade back far enough in the first we could walk away with

Amerson , Simon and Ogletree and still have the ability to get a pretty dam good RB in the 3rd round I would be doing back flips a month before my 50th birthday !! ( and for the record I have never landed a backflip in my life ) LOL

good to see chatter coming from this part of the forum almost daily now !!

st33lersguy
01-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Mock Update for 2013

1. Jesse Williams NT Alabama. Improve the middle of the D line, occupy two linemen, inturn makes it easier for the ILB's to do their job. Remember our ILB's are never going to be Levon Kirkland type thumpers but cover guys who blitz inside. Most of the blitzes this season were interior blitzes. Le Beau doesn't blitz from the outside like he used to with his CB's and OLB's. Williams improves 3 positions in one.

2. Terrance Williams WR Baylor 6'2 205" Wallace is gone IMO. I love De'andre Hopkins but he will be gone. Justin Hunter reminds me of Limas Sweed - a very good prospect with suspect hands. I play it safe by taking Williams who has great hands, works the sideline extremely well, is not scared to go across the middle and has good straight line speed when needed. A playmaker is needed to support Brown and Sanders.

3. Kiko Alonso ILB Oregon 6'3 242" - I love Sean Spence as a prospect coming out. I loved that we drafted him. I am not 100% sure that he can come back and last long term. Alonso is a player who has a nose for the ball and also an ability to fire into the hole to meet the runner or QB. I love his knee bend and power that results. Yes he is a nut case with a record and if you listen to any interviews he sounds like his mission in life is to play football and not much else. Timmons will be around for the long haul, however another partner in crime will be needed to replace Larry Foote in the future. ( I am not going to mock it here but I can see Manti Te'o being the eventual 2013 pick)

4. Shawn Williams S Georgia 6'1 218 - had a shocker in his last game. I still think this guy is a player. He has a nose for the ball and makes stops and picks. I still have faith that his ability translates well to the NFL. Strong safety who could handle FS if needed.

5. Christine Michael RB Texas A&M 5'11 220" - had a limited role behind Malena and Manziel who took most of the carries. Very talented back who has been lost behind a number of players during his college career. Had some injury issues earlier in his career. His body hasn't seen a huge workload. Check out his tape and you may well like what you see.

6. Levine Toilolo TE Stanford 6'6 260" - Played backup to Fleener and then Ertz at Stanford. Works the middle of the field well as per the Stanford recipe. ( I would love to have mocked CB Josh Johnson from Purdue here but I think Heath Miller's injury may force the issue to find a TE. If they keep Leonard Pope then I would swap this pick for the CB)

7. Cornelius Washington DE / OLB Georgia 6'4 268' - put on 20lbs to help the team out at DE. Was a rush OLB with great speed. Let him drop the weight and get him back to his natural position. Worth a gamble. This guy jumped out when I was watching film on Shawn Williams '-- That Georgia D is going to produce some good pro's even though bama run riot on them recently. ( I want to jump on the 2014 Anthony Barr for OLB bandwagon now. We can do with Harrison, Carter, Worilds and Robinson for 2013 at ROLB)

7. (Comp for Brian gay) Lane Taylor OG Oklahoma State 6'3 328 - Watch the film for Joseph Randle. I will guarantee that you will see #68 at Right guard just eating up guys and opening lanes for Randle. This guy is again a player who does the small things well.

I know the NT pick in the first is not going to attract too many fans, however I think Williams gives the team more in the long run than a player like Montgomery or Mingo at OLB. Cordarrelle Patterson at WR would be a great pick but you know my mode of operation, its Le Beau's turn to get the first round pick. Le Beau doesn't pick Cb's in the first and in reality Teo may well drop. If he does then I think it takes 2 seconds to make the pick. I just see him still going in the top 15 if the draft was now.

I know I am short at OT, QB, FS and CB. I think, all except QB, that those players are on the roster in waiting.

We need OLB, RB, and S more than a WR or NT

Aussie_steeler
01-13-2013, 02:02 PM
We need OLB, RB, and S more than a WR or NT

I believe Hampton will not be back. He will be gone. That leaves McClendon (who cannot eat up two blocks), Ta'amu ( who has hit parked cars only) and Fangupu ( who was brought in to cover an IR listing). I know Le Beau's system only works with a quality NT.

I also believe Mike Wallace is going. Not much about 2012 indicates that he is going to stay. That means the cupboard is bare.

The only OLB's that I see that fit the ROLB spot are potentially John Simon, Morgan Bresslin and Corey Lemonier. None of those scream out to me as guys who can stop the run, drop back in coverage and ultimately generate pressure when required.

After the Mendenhall experience I don't see the FO investing such a high pick on a RB. They have a short lifespan, want way too much compensation for contract 2, and usually want it done before it is due.

There is no earl thomas or Eric Berry in this draft. Eric Reid in the 2nd is an option at FS but when have the steelers ever drafted a FS higher than the 5th and had a winner. Don't write off Robert Golden as the FS of the future and Will Allen has shown that he is capable as a backup. Troy Polamalu's don't grow on trees so I don't know if there will ever be a suitable replacement. That is what I think Sean Spence was drafted for. He and Timmons can play the Joker type role to fill the gap troy leaves in the future.

I know that OLB, RB and S are obvious needs but this team needs a core to build around.

Don't worry - as the senior bowl and combine approaches all will eventually change

Dwinsgames
01-13-2013, 02:14 PM
There is no earl thomas or Eric Berry in this draft.

David Amerson could be that guy ....

I am high on him for a variety of reasons , he can play CB as we have all witnessed as a Collegiate but I think he could be a Special player at S at the next level , a Safety who could also play Nickle while he is waiting his turn to line up Behind Troy or Ryan getting him crucial snaps early in his pro career could be priceless when he is needed to Start due to an injury ( ad we will see plenty of those from our Safeties due to age and play style ) Amerson is a Ball hawk too, if we could manage to have him and Cortez Allen on the field at the same time as Troy people would fear throwing the deep ball on us because of the play making ability of our secondary ( something we have lacked for several years err decades it seems ) ....

Amerson plays the ball in the air like a WR and attacks the football , something we do not see from Ike , something we do not see from Lewis , something we do not see from Clark ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D0ZQNlCoi0

Dwinsgames
01-13-2013, 03:23 PM
been working on this for a few days and puttering around with potential scenarios and this is what I worked out .. ( won't happen but damn if it would )

dream scenario ....

Trade back 3-4 spots to 20-21 and gain a 4th round pick for the move
Trade back again from 20-21 to 24 or 25 and gain another 4th round selection

1) Kevin Minter, ILB LSU
2) David Amerson CB NC State can play any DB spot in the NFL with ball hawk ability
solidifying both S and Nickle / dime back spots dependent on what happens with Keenan Lewis in FA
3)Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin , Le'veon Bell RB Michigan state whichever is on the board
4)Shawn Williams, S, Georgia
4)Bruce Taylor, ILB Virginia Tech
4)Jamie Collins, DE/OLB, Southern Miss
5)Brad Sorensen QB S. Utah , Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee
6)Brandon Williams DE Missouri Southern , Demetrius McCray S Appalachian State , Keenan Davis WR Iowa
6b) see round 6 take whomever is left of the guys there
7) Dri Archer wr/rb/st kent state to more than make up for placing Rainey on waivers

Pondering another scenario of trading out of the first round all together ( remember we are well over the cap and only have 35 or so guys under contract will not only need to fill holes but fill out a productive roster that is cost effective and the draft is the best way to do just that )

Dwinsgames
01-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Trading down twice like before in round 1 then totally getting out of the round all together for a second this year and next years first round pick ....

Jacksonville is the perfect trading partner IMO they have to be thinking the Gabbert experiment has failed them and should be looking to add a QB early in the draft and number 2 over all is just to high to do it in this draft IMO , if that trade can not work you have another chance with the Bills who own the number 8 selection again maybe to early for this crop outside of Geno Smith IMO so they could be another partner is looking to nab one of the top QBs in this draft sneaking back into round 1 in the later part of the round to get their guy of the future ....

an additional 1st rounder next season
2) Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
2) David Amerson CB NC State can play any DB spot in the NFL with ball hawk ability
solidifying both S and Nickle / dime back spots dependent on what happens with Keenan Lewis in FA
3) Corey Lemonier, DE/OLB, Auburn
4)Shawn Williams, S, Georgia
4)Bruce Taylor, ILB Virginia Tech
4)Jamie Collins, DE/OLB, Southern Miss
5)Brad Sorensen QB S. Utah , Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee
6)Brandon Williams DE Missouri Southern , Demetrius McCray S Appalachian State , Keenan Davis WR Iowa
6b) see round 6 take whomever is left of the guys there
7) Dri Archer wr/rb/st kent state to more than make up for placing Rainey on waivers

Aussie_steeler
01-13-2013, 06:24 PM
I like both scenarios and I always think about trading down to get more picks.

However, the only times that I can ever remember this happening have been for Casey Hampton and the year in which the 2nd round pick was traded at the end of the first day ( three third round picks that year) . I am resigned to the fact that the FO will just sit and wait to see who falls. Occasionally they will move up a little in the mid rounds to get their man.

Amerson is a player who could be that CB / FS guy. I can remember Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen being mentioned by posters here in similar manner. I actually think Shawn Williams is a bit of a ball hawk from the SS position. With so many intermediate throws now it is not so much the FS that needs to be the ball hawk but the middle cover guys. That is why Troy gets a lot of picks. I see the FS in our system as being a sweeper who protects the CB's against getting beat on the deep ball and also someone who slams the door shut on any player running free. IMO it will always be a low priority draft pick

I like Le'veon Bell over Montee Ball. Wisconsin runners scare me when it comes to NFL productivity.
I personally think that this (running back) is the one true area of weakness on the team and it is having the biggest impact on success. When Mendenhall was healthy ( in body and mind) the team was balanced. Now the team has no running identity, presence or idea.

What I would give for an Arian Foster type pick ( late round steal) and runner (hits the hole with speed and commitment).

Dwinsgames
01-13-2013, 10:41 PM
I like both scenarios and I always think about trading down to get more picks.

However, the only times that I can ever remember this happening have been for Casey Hampton and the year in which the 2nd round pick was traded at the end of the first day ( three third round picks that year) . I am resigned to the fact that the FO will just sit and wait to see who falls. Occasionally they will move up a little in the mid rounds to get their man.

Amerson is a player who could be that CB / FS guy. I can remember Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen being mentioned by posters here in similar manner. I actually think Shawn Williams is a bit of a ball hawk from the SS position. With so many intermediate throws now it is not so much the FS that needs to be the ball hawk but the middle cover guys. That is why Troy gets a lot of picks. I see the FS in our system as being a sweeper who protects the CB's against getting beat on the deep ball and also someone who slams the door shut on any player running free. IMO it will always be a low priority draft pick

I like Le'veon Bell over Montee Ball. Wisconsin runners scare me when it comes to NFL productivity.
I personally think that this (running back) is the one true area of weakness on the team and it is having the biggest impact on success. When Mendenhall was healthy ( in body and mind) the team was balanced. Now the team has no running identity, presence or idea.

What I would give for an Arian Foster type pick ( late round steal) and runner (hits the hole with speed and commitment).

yea I know the feeling , they never ( well rarely make draft day moves ) if they did move down more often they could move up more often as well because they would be stockpiled with picks , more picks = more competition , more competition the less you have to pay in long term contracts down the road because you have more guys capable of filling the holes ////

as for Cortez Allen I think he could play any spot in the def backfield and have felt that way since he came here ( did not know much about him prior to that time ) Love the kid !!

Curtis Brown I was cautiously optimistic about and hopeful ... that hope is almost gone now though ... he is what I thought he was maybe less ..I thought as a zone DB he may be serviceable at this level hoped he could be more ... now I am not sure he is even serviceable for a team with high expectations or deep playoff runs year in and year out ... if he where cut tomorrow I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it , lacks awareness , lacks elite speed , lacks prototypical size , lacks sure tackling ability , and seemingly gets lost on the big stage like a deer in the headlights ..I am so over him

Rion
01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
What positions have the most "depth" (or nfl potential) players at this year? In other words what positions have the most drop off after the first round or two? Sorry if this has already been posted.

Dwinsgames
01-14-2013, 02:37 PM
I always look at WR as being potentially deep and potentially shallow at the same time ...

does that make sense ?

I will try and explain my logic , College production rarely seems to matter a whole lot for whatever reason lots of guys who have had big careers in college at wr fail to make the transition to the pro game ... catching the football is catching the football running routes is running routes so on the surface it should not make to much of a difference but it does ....

look at all the high round picks at WR have failed in the last 5 years or so , and look at how many later round guys have been productive ...WR is the biggest crap shoot in the draft IMO ...

outside of the top 3 or 4 prospects ( and then you have no guarantee in getting a good one all the time ) its a dart board of success and failure

2006 is a prime example ...

Santonio Holmes
Steelers
Ohio State

Chad Jackson
Patriots
Florida

Sinorice Moss
Giants
Miami (FL)

Greg Jennings
Packers
Western Michigan

Devin Hester
Bears
Miami (FL)

Travis Wilson
Browns
Oklahoma

Derek Hagan
Dolphins
Arizona State

Brandon Williams
49ers
Wisconsin

Maurice Stovall
Buccaneers
Notre Dame

Willie Reid
Steelers
Florida State

Brad Smith
Jets
Missouri

Cory Rodgers
Packers
Texas Christian

Jason Avant
Eagles
Michigan

Demetrius Williams
Ravens
Oregon

Will Blackmon
Packers
Boston College

Brandon Marshall
Broncos
Central Florida

Skyler Green
Cowboys
Louisiana State

Domenik Hixon
Broncos
Akron

Marques Hagans
Rams
Virginia

Jeremy Bloom
Eagles
Colorado

Mike Hass
Saints
Oregon State

Jonathan Orr
Titans
Wisconsin

Delanie Walker
49ers
Central Missouri State

Adam Jennings
Falcons
Fresno State

Jeff Webb
Chiefs
San Diego State

Ethan Kilmer
Bengals
Penn State

Todd Watkins
Cardinals
Brigham Young

Bennie Brazell
Bengals
Louisiana State

Devin Aromashodu
Dolphins
Auburn

Ben Obomanu
Seahawks
Auburn

David Anderson
Texans
Colorado State

Marques Colston
Saints
Hofstra

Kevin McMahan
Raiders
Maine

only a couple guys of the top 20 selected at WR are worth a dam as WRs ( a few ST guys that stand out ) damn near as many taken at the back end of the draft and a solid argument could be made that the best WR in that draft was drafted 252nd over all ....

Dwinsgames
01-14-2013, 02:49 PM
2008 same sort of thing , hits and misses all over the place like a dart board

Donnie Avery
Rams
Houston

Devin Thomas
Redskins
Michigan State

Jordy Nelson
Packers
Kansas State

James Hardy
Bills
Indiana

Eddie Royal
Broncos
Virginia Tech

Jerome Simpson
Bengals
Coastal Carolina

DeSean Jackson
Eagles
California

Malcolm Kelly
Redskins
Oklahoma

Limas Sweed
Steelers
Texas

Dexter Jackson
Buccaneers
Appalachian State

Earl Bennett
Bears
Vanderbilt

Early Doucet
Cardinals
Louisiana State

Harry Douglas
Falcons
Louisville

Mario Manningham
Giants
Michigan

Andre Caldwell
Bengals
Florida

William Franklin
Chiefs
Missouri

Marcus Smith
Ravens
New Mexico

Arman Shields
Raiders
Richmond

Lavelle Hawkins
Titans
California

Keenan Burton
Rams
Kentucky

Kenneth Moore
Lions
Wake Forest

Matt Slater
Patriots
UCLA

Marcus Henry
Jets
Kansas

Josh Morgan
49ers
Virginia Tech

Kevin Robinson
Chiefs
Utah State

Paul Hubbard
Browns
Wisconsin

Jaymar Johnson
Vikings
Jackson State

Pierre Garcon
Colts
Mount Union

Justin Harper
Ravens
Virginia Tech

Brett Swain
Packers
San Diego State

Steve Johnson
Bills
Kentucky

Chaz Schilens
Raiders
San Diego State

Adrian Arrington
Saints
Michigan

Mario Urrutia
Bengals
Louisville

Marcus Monk
Bears
Arkansas

LLT
01-20-2013, 09:35 AM
As usual....we can probably stop thinking about picking up Kenny Vaccarro. He was listed as the #42 ranked prospect in the nation just a short time ago, and I suggested that we keep our eyes on him because he was easily a first round talent.

He has catapaulted into the first round and is now considered the overall #1 ranked safety in the upcoming draft, and on some boards he is a top ten pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

Aussie_steeler
02-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Mock Update for 2013

7. (Comp for William gay) Lane Taylor OG Oklahoma State 6'3 328 - Watch the film for Joseph Randle. I will guarantee that you will see #68 at Right guard just eating up guys and opening lanes for Randle. This guy is again a player who does the small things well.

My 5th & 7th Rounders just made some serious jumps up draft boards after their showings at the combine.

If you want Washington now you may just have to spend a 2nd round pick

Cornelius Washington DE / OLB Georgia 6'3 265" -- 34" arms -- 36 bench reps -- 4.55 40 yard -- 39" inch Vert -- 10.67 Broad ( off the charts with his explosion numbers) His film shows a very disciplined guy who played the 5 tech and OLB solidly when asked to switch. Jarvis Jones and the rest of the bulldogs stars got all the hype but I think this guy can be one of the best out of that group.

Christine Michael RB - at 5'10 220. Check out his combine numbers. They totally reinforce everything you see on tape.

I love how the combine confirms what you see on tape.

Steeltreal
03-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Need more mock madness cmon Aussie give us something

Texasteel
03-02-2013, 07:10 PM
This draft has me a little perplexed. Just a couple months ago I had two names in mind,,,, Dion Jordan, and Xavier Rhodes. Well, I think we can kiss both of them goodby. There are still possibilitys,,,, Jones still may slip to us, I believe that Vaccaro and Cooper will be there, and I am hearing now that Mingo may slid to us if there is a run on QBs. Still we have to ask,,,,,, is Vaccaro that much better than Amerson, who I think could be a very good CB, or an extordinary safty, who we might get in the 2nd round, and do any of us really know just how good Shawn Williams is, who we might pick up in the 3rd.

The logical thing to do is pick Ogletree, I can't see that happening, or trade out of the 1st round and consentrate on the 2nd, and 3rd round, where I think the true value of this draft is. Heres hoping that someone slid to us.

Also, my two favorite OTs were Terron Armstead, and Menelik Watson. Both would have be 3rd round picks,,,,, now they both may go in the 2nd round.......... I do wish we had 4 or 5 pick in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Steeltreal
03-02-2013, 08:34 PM
What about Walter Stewart or Jamie Collins in the 3rd

Texasteel
03-02-2013, 10:05 PM
What about Walter Stewart or Jamie Collins in the 3rd

Collins is one reason I like the 2nd and 3rd rounds so much. Collins may go in the later part of the 2nd. He and ILB Bostic, C/OG Brian Schwenke, SS Shawn Williams, WR Da'Rick Rogers, and others. There just looks to me that There is a lot of talent at good value once you get out of the 1st round.

I think Stewart would be a major reach in the 3rd, I like Aussies player Washington as a better choice, probably in the 5th round, I like Washington much better. I thought Stewart was an ordinary OLB. He did much better at DE, and at his size wouldn't really fit into our defence. Now, I have not seen Stewart play this year, so I could be way off.

st33lersguy
03-03-2013, 08:21 AM
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013rumorsteams_1.php

Provided is a link to Walter Football's rumors for all the teams drafting in the bottom half of the first round. The Steelers are conveniently on top as pick #17. It provided some interesting information including special interest in an ILB

Seven
03-04-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm so off my game this year. It's March and I haven't even thought about more than a handful of prospect who project lower than rounds one and two.

Steeltreal
03-05-2013, 01:06 AM
If Lane Johnson drops I like a trade down to Vikings pick up 23 and 83

My first 4 picks
RD1) Jesse Williams
Rd2) Giovani Bernard
Rd3 a) Quinton Patton
Rd3 b) Robert Lester