PDA

View Full Version : Like it or not, Roethlisberger slowly adapting to Haley’s offense

polamalubeast
06-07-2012, 04:52 PM
PITTSBURGH — In what can be interpreted as another visible manifestation of his aversion to change, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wore a No. 78 jersey for the team’s final offseason training activity on Thursday.

Roethlisberger said he eschewed his regular No. 7 “in honor of” former Steelers left tackle Max Starks, who tore a knee ligament during the January playoff loss in Denver and remains unsigned. It’s the second consecutive season Roethlisberger made such a public suggestion to the organization to bring back his teammate and friend.

Such a move is not unlike the two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback’s subtle references in recent weeks on adapting to a new offense. Roethlisberger has repeatedly made it clear he was apprehensive about the transition from former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians — a close friend — to that of Todd Haley, former coach of the Chiefs.

As he walked off Heinz Field wearing the old and tattered jersey Thursday, Roethlisberger said he and the rest of the offense have “made progress” digesting the new terminology.

“Every day is a little bit better,” Roethlisberger said. “I’m not saying I can go out and call a game myself right now, but I understand when he calls a play, I know what’s going on for the most part. So we’re getting it down to figuring it out.”

read more

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/like-it-or-not-steelers-quarterback-roethlisberger-slowly-adapting-to-haleys-offense/2012/06/07/gJQAIVLpLV_story.html