PDA

View Full Version : Back pain coming to fore in NFL

stillers4me
06-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Back injuries like the one that could have ended Steelers linebacker James Harrison’s career are becoming an increasing pain for NFL players and teams.

Harrison, a Pro Bowl pass rusher who is entering the fourth year of a six-year, $51.75 million contract, had two surgeries in 2011 to repair a herniated disc in his lower back.

Spine (back), head and neck injuries accounted for 10 percent of all reported NFL injuries between 2004-09, according to an NFL Players Association report released last year.

“I believe that back injuries are more common now than they used to be in the NFL population,” said Dr. Wellington Hsu, an assistant professor in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Department of Neurological Surgery at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine. He co-authored a study of NFL linemen’s back injuries that appeared in 2010 in the American Journal of Sports Medicine.

Returning to the lineup six months ahead of projections in 2011, Harrison tied for the team lead with nine sacks. But he acknowledged that he briefly considered retirement because of post-surgical pain..........

read more @ http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1892887-85/nfl-smith-harrison-disc-pain-steelers-surgery-injuries-maroon-team

ALLD
06-03-2012, 06:07 PM
They need to keep a chiropractor on the sidelines. My back goes out all the time around T6 & T7 behind my left shoulder blade which throws the C6 & C7 at the base of my neck out too. I can get my finance to walk from the lumbar up to the T6 region and pop it back in by laying face down on the floor in a doorway and she balances by grabbing onto the door frame. I can adjust my own neck most of the time and I use an inversion table to loosen up any compression.

Needless to say, if your back is out you aren't going to be playing any football and you have to watch how you move in everyday living. I can't do pull downs at the gym because if I twist while exercising it throws the T6 out and it feels like a dislocated rib pinching a nerve.

steeldawg
06-03-2012, 08:38 PM
You mean monster human beings colliding with eachother at crazy speeds is not good for their backs, who would of thought?