PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Romo among all-time elite QBs

polamalubeast
07-15-2010, 05:40 AM
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20107110302

Analysis: Romo among all-time elite QBs
By Rick Gosselin • McClatchy-Tribune News • July 11, 2010

ARLINGTON, Texas — Tony Romo has accomplished so much as an NFL quarterback in such a short period of time.

Romo went to the Pro Bowl as a first-year starter with the Cowboys in 2006. He set a franchise record for touchdown passes in 2008 with 36, then established the franchise mark for passing yards in 2009 with 4,483.
Romo finally has thrown the necessary 1,500 passes to qualify for the NFL career passing list and debuts in 2010 as the third most-efficient quarterback in history — ahead of Peyton Manning, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Joe Montana and Drew Brees.
And we still haven't seen the best of Tony Romo. But we have a chance to this season. The Cowboys have surrounded Romo with the most talented supporting cast of his tenure.
Tight end Jason Witten, wide receivers Miles Austin and Roy Williams and halfback Marion Barber have all been to the Pro Bowl. Running back Felix Jones, tight end Martellus Bennett and wide receiver Dez Bryant were all premium draft choices with Pro Bowl traits.
There may not be a deeper cast of playmakers anywhere in the NFL. Romo's cast is deeper in quantity than those that won Super Bowls with Roger Staubach at the helm in the 1970s and with Troy Aikman at the helm in the 1990s.
So Romo could be in a position to batter his own franchise records and challenge a few NFL marks as well. But that may not be the path Romo and the Cowboys choose to follow if they hope to remain home in February to play the Super Bowl on their home field. History has not been kind to the great passing teams of the modern era.
The NFL's No. 1 passing team has played for a championship only five times in Super Bowl history: the 1984 Miami Dolphins, 1999 and 2001 St. Louis Rams, 2002 Oakland Raiders and 2007 New England Patriots.
Those teams went 1-4 in Super Bowls, and the 1999 title game ended with Tennessee on the St. Louis 1-yard line. So the No. 1-ranked passing offenses are 1 yard shy of possibly being winless in Super Bowls.
In each of those five cases, the quarterback of that top-ranked passing attack was the league MVP: Dan Marino in 1984, Kurt Warner in 1999 and 2001, Rich Gannon in 2002 and Tom Brady in 2007.

polamalubeast
07-15-2010, 05:41 AM
Marino set the NFL record for passing yards with 5,084 in 1984, and Brady set the league mark for touchdown passes with 50 in 2007. But neither has a Super Bowl ring to show for those seasons.

For all of his passing yards and touchdowns in the last decade, Peyton Manning has only one Super Bowl ring to show for his arm. Brett Favre also has managed to win only one ring in his 19 seasons, and Marino never won any.
If Romo's playmakers all match their career years in 2010, the Cowboys' offense will have 350 receptions, 4,594 yards and 31 touchdowns in the bank. And that doesn't include anything from the rookie Bryant, who could push this offense into the stratosphere with his playmaking ability.
So 400 completions, 5,000 yards and 40 touchdowns could all be within Romo's reach in 2010. All of his playmakers are in their 20s.
Romo turned 30 this year. He's grown as a passer and matured as a leader in his 55 career starts. He realizes the Cowboys — and the 2010 season — are not about Tony Romo.
"At the end of the day, winning is what counts at my position," Romo said Wednesday before a promotional appearance for Starter apparel at an Arlington Wal-Mart. "As I get older, it doesn't matter to me if I throw for 100 yards a game or 400 if we win. You're a far better quarterback when you throw for 150 yards and win than when you throw for 320 and lose. Stats are just stats."

HometownGal
07-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Sounds like he is more of a stat king than an elite QB. HoHoHomo and Rivers are two of the most overrated QB's in the league imho. Both choke when a big game is on the line.

Texasteel
07-15-2010, 06:59 AM
Sounds like he is more of a stat king than an elite QB. HoHoHomo and Rivers are two of the most overrated QB's in the league imho. Both choke when a big game is on the line.

A rebuttal by a Dallas resident: You are completely right. I normally like the stuff Rick writes, but he does know who butters his bread around here, and that does slant some of his writing.

Devilsdancefloor
07-15-2010, 07:15 AM
0 rings. 1 playoff win .. that is all that needs to be said

memphissteelergirl
07-15-2010, 08:13 AM
:lol::rofl2::lol::rofl2:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Omigosh....can't catch my breath...oh my side's hurting....whooo! OK...I'm alright now!

*Pause*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kittyfish
07-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Not to repeat myself, but here's what I wrote in response to a similar article in December 2008:

Okay, here's what kills me about all the Romo love. I admit I haven't seen that many Dallas games, but the ones I have seen where they Cowboys lost, Romo has lost singlehandedly. As in, all by himself. As in, it was all his fault. Muffed hold for the kicker a couple of years ago, an interception in the (first round of the) playoffs last year, interception last week to Townsend. Why he gets so much love for choking on the big games, I don't know.

I admit I don't know much about football, compared to the rest of you. Perhaps y'all can explain it to me.

And not much has changed since then that I can see. I'm not discounting that Romo (or Rivers, for that matter, because the same may be said of him) may become a great QB sometime in the future but I am tired of him being awarded an elite crown for accomplishing so very little so far, while Ben has always had to fight for the least little bit of respect - it really gets under my skin.

And again, I'm not as up on my facts and statistics as most of you, but it seems to me that Ben's stats are pretty impressive but they always get discounted if you try use them as arguing points. It's a team sport! Ben had a great defense! He had a crappy Superbowl! Trent Dilfer also has a Superbowl ring! On and on - you'd think Ben was one step above Rick Mirer (or whatever his name was), while Romo and Rivers are the second coming. At least it seems that way in the comments section of many an article I've read.

tony hipchest
07-15-2010, 09:19 AM
good article.

i hope bruce arians is taking note.

History has not been kind to the great passing teams of the modern era.
The NFL's No. 1 passing team has played for a championship only five times in Super Bowl history: the 1984 Miami Dolphins, 1999 and 2001 St. Louis Rams, 2002 Oakland Raiders and 2007 New England Patriots.
Those teams went 1-4 in Super Bowls, and the 1999 title game ended with Tennessee on the St. Louis 1-yard line. So the No. 1-ranked passing offenses are 1 yard shy of possibly being winless in Super Bowls.
In each of those five cases, the quarterback of that top-ranked passing attack was the league MVP: Dan Marino in 1984, Kurt Warner in 1999 and 2001, Rich Gannon in 2002 and Tom Brady in 2007.

ben has pretty much broken all the same team records that romo has. and while he does have 2 superbowl rings, what he doesnt have is the pro-bowls or the fantasy fanboys slobbing his knob like they do for the likes of romo, palmer, or bulger.

and while ben has let it be known it is his desire to wing it all over the field like palmer, the bengals are vinning the division. it is worthy to note that the years ben has broken team passing records the steelers have either missed the playoffs or were bounced out in the 1st round.

fansince'76
07-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Homer article.

venom
07-15-2010, 10:10 AM
http://pumapac.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/spit-take.jpg

BigNastyDefense
07-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Analysis: TONY HOMO IS A CHOKER WHO PUTS UP GREAT STATS BUT IN THE BIGGEST OF MOMENTS AGAINST SOME OF THE BEST TEAMS HE BLOWS IT.

Also, the Patriots suck and Tom Brady is gay.

That is all.

steel striker
07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I'll take super bowl rings over stats anytime.

salamander
07-15-2010, 01:32 PM
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

That is all.

Psycho Ward 86
07-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Romo finally has thrown the necessary 1,500 passes to qualify for the NFL career passing list and debuts in 2010 as the third most-efficient quarterback in history — ahead of Peyton Manning, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Joe Montana and Drew Brees.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/partly-politics/assets_c/2010/06/Blank-Facepalm-thumb-387x259-155318.jpg

Indo
07-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did I just read that Romo could do better than Staubach and Aikman?

Aha. Ha. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHA

(heeheeheee)

WHEW!

I need one good laugh a day.

NJarhead
07-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Umm, perhaps they meant "All-time elite top 50 QB's to never win jack shit?"

silver & black
07-15-2010, 04:09 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. Romo is no more an elite QB than I am... and Phylis Rivers... well... he plays for the Dolts... that's enough of a reason for me to say he just sucks! :chuckle:

steelerdude15
07-15-2010, 04:36 PM
:chuckle: They day he wins a Super Bowl will be another story. Other than that win in the playoffs earlier this year, he hasn't done anything in the playoffs and that's where it counts. Yeah, he's in the top then of TODAY'S QBs, but he isn't "among" the all-time elites. That's something that is going to take a long time to get to.

ALLD
07-15-2010, 06:18 PM

You forgot about Carson Palmer being super overrated too. Romo has won one playoff game and actually lost another. He hasn't done crap since being drafted except make some completions...and dating Jessica Simpson until she got fat.

st33lersguy
07-15-2010, 08:05 PM
This guy probably also thinks Bradshaw doesn't belong in the hall of fame aswell

salamander
07-15-2010, 08:14 PM
This guy probably also thinks Bradshaw doesn't belong in the hall of fame aswell

No, that was that 13 year old on, wait, what useless publication was it?

Psycho Ward 86
07-15-2010, 08:43 PM
You forgot about Carson Palmer being super overrated too. Romo has won one playoff game and actually lost another. He hasn't done crap since being drafted except make some completions...and dating Jessica Simpson until she got fat.

to be fair, he's undrafted, and he is definitely one of the most impressive undrafted QB's ever.

Galax Steeler
07-16-2010, 03:43 AM
Oh my god give me a break.:jerkit:

Butch
07-16-2010, 04:00 AM
Even cowboy fans down here in San Antonio are laughing about that one.

HughC
07-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Gosselin is all over the place in his column.

First, the title is misleading. The column doesn't go on to say he thinks Romo is one of the best ever. He simply says he ranks high (3rd, 4th?) in 'efficiency' - I assume that is QB rating - but then goes on to say that means because of that he could possibly break some NFL records (a stretch, but I'll give him a pass for that.) Then for the rest of the article he says for the Cowboys to win they'd be better off if he didn't set any records because others that had did not win. (That's a bit of flawed logic because it's like saying if NE had lost a game in the regular season or Brady had thrown a couple less TDs, then Tyree wouldn't have held on to Manning's hail mary.) Regardless, the title has almost nothing to do with the content of the article.

Second, as pointed out in the thread in the main forum about whether or not Terry Bradshaw should be in the Hall of Fame, NFL career stats for players are extremely deceiving. Because of the changes over the years - in particular the change in pass interference from being able to hit a receiver all you want until the ball is in the air, to not being able to touch him more than five yards from the line of srimmage - and the competition's more recent directive to officials to call PI penalties more closely - all the NFL all time records for passing and receiving are almost completely filled with current players. In other words, the fact that Romo may indeed rank in the top five in QB rating is meaningless in equating that stat to him being one of the top five quarterbacks ever.

Bottom line is the choice of words for title was poor - except that it got its desired effect, more web hits and more ad revenue. Still, Gosselin could have focused on winning over stats without the comment about Romo being 'third best' and he would have got his point across much better. Because of the title and that one sentence his message was lost.

HughC
07-16-2010, 12:04 PM
I just noticed another ridiculous portion from Gosselin's column:

"If Romo's playmakers all match their career years in 2010, the Cowboys' offense will have 350 receptions, 4,594 yards and 31 touchdowns in the bank. And that doesn't include anything from the rookie Bryant, who could push this offense into the stratosphere with his playmaking ability.
So 400 completions, 5,000 yards and 40 touchdowns could all be within Romo's reach in 2010. All of his playmakers are in their 20s."

Well, yeah, if everybody has a career year I suppose that is possible. But since when has everybody on one team had a career year at the same time, in the same year? Wouldn't the fact that Player A is having a statistically career year probably mean Player B is getting less touches, and will most likely not have a career year?

Dino 6 Rings
07-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Wow

Career Passes Completed
Romo is 123 on the list of all time.

Passing Yards Career
Romo is 121 on the list

Passing TDs Career
Romo is 107

As for Career passer Rating, the Top 10 is as follows:
1. Aaron Rogers at 97.2
2. Steve Young at 96.8
3. Phillip Rivers at 95.8
4. Tony Romo at 95.6
5. Peyton Manning at 95.2
6. Kurt Warner at 93.7
7. Tom Brady 93.3
8. Joe Montana at 92.3
9. Drew Breese at 91.9
10. Ben Roethlisberger at 91.7

Now, which of those guys have rings?
Young = 1 (one apperance)
Manning = 1 (two apperances)
Warner = 1 (three apperances)
Brady = 3 (four apperances)
Montana = 4 (four apperances)
Roethlisberger = 2 (two appearances)

Its a complete Picture moron, and Romo hasn't even gotten his brush wet yet.

Dino 6 Rings
07-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Among the all time greats my ASSSS

Passing Yards per Game for career
Romo 62 on the list

Passes completed per game
Romo is 73 on the list

Oh, I was going to compare Career Super Bowl stats with the other "all time greats" and Romo but couldn't find any Super Bowl stats for Romo...because he's never been to the Super Bowl.

Romo can go suck an egg.

ALLD
07-16-2010, 06:49 PM
to be fair, he's undrafted, and he is definitely one of the most impressive undrafted QB's ever.

Kurt Warner was better even though the Pats cheated him out of repeating and then he choked against us a couple of years ago when Woodley gave him a chop in the last 30 seconds.

You know, just reading the article again relieved me of my constipation.

stillers4me
07-16-2010, 06:55 PM
He's talking about Tony...Romo. right?

The Duke
07-17-2010, 11:19 AM

Impressive, sure. Elite never

To be fair, I'd take him over a lot of shitty qbs in the league right now. But he is simply not a winner

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0812/tony-romo-demotivational-poster-1228960456.jpg

SMR
07-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Umm, perhaps they meant "All-time elite top 50 QB's to never win jack shit?"

lol....ahem, that would be a more accurate title.