PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich vs. Troy Smith, a review

ShutDown24
06-02-2012, 02:18 PM
I got to thinking about Troy Smith today, and how it seems as if he is almost a forgotten man on this roster. I don't believe I have heard many Steelers fans voice much excitement or belief in him since the signing. With that in mind, I decided to take a look back his most recent exposure to significant NFL playing time. I started jotting some notes down and decided to go ahead and compare him side by side with Byron Leftwich, to see who I would prefer as a backup to Ben Roethlisberger. I didn't encounter anything shocking, but I did find more of a disparate in the eyeball test than I expected. The following are my notes. [101 snaps viewed of Smith, 66 snaps viewed of Leftwich.]

Troy Smith #1, Quarterback, San Francisco 49ers, 2010 – 2011 NFL Season

Games Reviewed

Week 8 2010, vs. Denver Broncos @ London
12/19, 63%, 196 PYDS

Week 10 2010, vs. St. Louis Rams
17/28, 60%, 356 PYDS

Week 11 2010, vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
16/31, 51%, 148 PYDS

Week 12 2010, @ Arizona Cardinals
11/23, 47%, 129 PYDS

Skill Grades

Arm strength: A
Pocket Accuracy: B
Movement Accuracy: B
Footwork: B
Composure: B
Decision Making: C-
Pocket Presence: C
Play Action: A+
Athleticism: A
Anticipation: C
Release: B+
Toughness: B+
Effort: A
Offensive Command: B+
Clutch: C
Improvisation: A
Leadership: C
Touch: A

Miscellaneous notes

- Often has throws tapped down at line of scrimmage

- Enjoys contact

- Sideline emotions reflect play on field

What I like: Plays about as close of a style to Ben Roethlisberger’s game as you’re going to be able to find.

What I don’t like: Has the potential to clash with Coach Todd Haley.

Byron Leftwich #7, Quarterback, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2009 – 2010 NFL Season

Games Reviewed

Week 2 2009, @ Buffalo Bills
26/50, 52%, 276 PYDS

Week 3 2009, vs. New York Giants (Pulled)
7/16, 43%, 22 PYDS

Skill Grades

Arm strength: A+
Pocket Accuracy: B-
Movement Accuracy: D-
Footwork: C
Composure: B
Decision Making: B
Pocket Presence: B
Play Action: C
Athleticism: D+
Anticipation: C
Release: F
Toughness: A
Effort: B+
Offensive Command: B
Clutch: C
Improvisation: F
Leadership: B
Touch: F

Miscellaneous notes

- Locks on to receivers

- Trips over himself frequently

- Does not get rattled

What I like: Team player; knows Steelers roster and staff very well.

What I don’t like: Health is a major concern.

Final Thoughts

Troy Smith should make this roster with relative ease. Although he has played for another team since his action with the 49ers, assuming he has maintained his physical condition away from the NFL, his skills should not be diminished. He outperformed Byron Leftwich significantly with similar talent around them. He is a much better fit to be Ben Roethlisberger's primary backup and has proven a healthier player compared to the incumbent. Charlie Batch aside, I'm prepared to fully throw my support behind Troy Smith as the Steelers 2012 backup quarterback.

Steeldude
06-02-2012, 02:54 PM
I'll take Leftwich over Kordell...I mean Troy Smith. The Steelers have tried the running QB. It doesn't work in the NFL

ShutDown24
06-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I'll take Leftwich over Kordell...I mean Troy Smith. The Steelers have tried the running QB. It doesn't work in the NFL

Troy Smith isn't a running quarterback, he's an excellent passer who happens to be a decent athlete. He only attempted to rush about 3 times per game in the four contests I examined. And that was only when there was absolutely nowhere to set his feet in the backfield.

steelreserve
06-02-2012, 03:45 PM
As someone who follows the 49ers and witnessed the Troy Smith debacle firsthand, I would not want this guy anywhere near our huddle.

He's just another dime-a-dozen "athletic" QB with terrible accuracy and poor decision-making. True, he hasn't gone with the run-first mentality for his pro career (wise move, since that rarely works in the NFL). But he's a shaky passer who gets flustered. Reminded me a lot of Dixon, actually.

ALLD
06-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Rooneys are loyal. Unless Smith shows something not seen before he will go out with the next high tide.

ShutDown24
06-02-2012, 03:57 PM
As someone who follows the 49ers and witnessed the Troy Smith debacle firsthand, I would not want this guy anywhere near our huddle.

He's just another dime-a-dozen "athletic" QB with terrible accuracy and poor decision-making. True, he hasn't gone with the run-first mentality for his pro career (wise move, since that rarely works in the NFL). But he's a shaky passer who gets flustered. Reminded me a lot of Dixon, actually.

I don't see too much Dixon in him past the fact that he can be flustered if his emotions get the better of him. To me, Dixon was always looking to run more than he should have been. Smith doesn't have that problem.

SteelGhost
06-02-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't trust any of them, neither I do trust Batch, we SERIOUSLY need to look for a decent backup to Ben IMHO

ShutDown24
06-02-2012, 07:58 PM
I don't trust any of them, neither I do trust Batch, we SERIOUSLY need to look for a decent backup to Ben IMHO

One of the main points of my original post was to suggest that Smith is a very capable backup. The post you just made is one which I have seen time and time again but I never see any names suggested along with the statement. As far as backup quarterbacks available, I don't think it gets much better than what we have currently. There are only a handful of guys in the league not starting who I would trust to win me a game. Kyle Orton's and Shaun Hill's aren't just floating around on the market for a reason. Health + talent + experience = a great backup. I am arguing that Troy Smith has all of those things.

SteelGhost
06-02-2012, 08:26 PM
One of the main points of my original post was to suggest that Smith is a very capable backup. The post you just made is one which I have seen time and time again but I never see any names suggested along with the statement. As far as backup quarterbacks available, I don't think it gets much better than what we have currently. There are only a handful of guys in the league not starting who I would trust to win me a game. Kyle Orton's and Shaun Hill's aren't just floating around on the market for a reason. Health + talent + experience = a great backup. I am arguing that Troy Smith has all of those things.

I thank your posts Shut, very informative. I know there are not a lot of QB's to choose from and the ones that can fit (Orton/Hill) are not available. Maybe Troy Smith can be a better fit than Leftwich and Batch, but I'm concerned about Ben's backup and the future of the Steelers :noidea:

86WARD
06-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Bad vs. Badder.

Lose/Lose situation.

stillers4me
06-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Bad vs. Badder.

Lose/Lose situation.

If they were good/gooder, they'd be starting somewhere.

polamalubeast
06-02-2012, 08:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8jOQhhjOF4

polamalubeast
06-02-2012, 08:51 PM

He has the teams that they are in a worse situation than steelers for the backup! Since 2006, Ben has always played at least 15 games, except for 2010 because of his suspension.

ShutDown24
06-02-2012, 09:00 PM
I thank your posts Shut, very informative. I know there are not a lot of QB's to choose from and the ones that can fit (Orton/Hill) are not available. Maybe Troy Smith can be a better fit than Leftwich and Batch, but I'm concerned about Ben's backup and the future of the Steelers :noidea:

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I just wanted to clarify my argument for Smith as I wasn't certain I made it very clear in the OP.

I think the part of your concern that I agree with most is the future part. Don't get me wrong, I'll be ecstatic if Ben plays until he's 36 or 37. But the team hasn't been evaluating very well in the department since his arrival. Jacobs and Dixon basically amounted to wasted picks. Granted, they were only 5th round selections, and I understand the lack of focus on the spot due to the fact that we have a franchise guy - I just don't want to see us dwindle away into obscurity after Roethlisberger retires due to poor decisions at the position. But I guess that's still a long way off, and a little off topic haha.

SteelGhost
06-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I understand what you mean. I just wanted to clarify my argument for Smith as I wasn't certain I made it very clear in the OP.

I think the part of your concern that I agree with most is the future part. Don't get me wrong, I'll be ecstatic if Ben plays until he's 36 or 37. But the team hasn't been evaluating very well in the department since his arrival. Jacobs and Dixon basically amounted to wasted picks. Granted, they were only 5th round selections, and I understand the lack of focus on the spot due to the fact that we have a franchise guy - I just don't want to see us dwindle away into obscurity after Roethlisberger retires due to poor decisions at the position. But I guess that's still a long way off, and a little off topic haha.

Not at all Shut, I agree with you. :tea:

Count Steeler
06-02-2012, 10:11 PM
I would take Smith over Lefty just because of the reliability factor. How many games in the preseason will it take for Lefty to get injured?

steelreserve
06-03-2012, 12:50 AM
I don't see too much Dixon in him past the fact that he can be flustered if his emotions get the better of him. To me, Dixon was always looking to run more than he should have been. Smith doesn't have that problem.

The other similarity was that his accuracy is awful. Maybe not on every single routine pass - but boy did it seem like whenever you really needed a play to work, he uncorked a wild one. I totally agree that Smith does not have happy feet like Dixon. But I'd say accuracy problems, happy feet and panic mode are the hallmarks of that type of quarterback, and Smith has two out of three.

ShutDown24
06-03-2012, 06:54 AM
The other similarity was that his accuracy is awful. Maybe not on every single routine pass - but boy did it seem like whenever you really needed a play to work, he uncorked a wild one. I totally agree that Smith does not have happy feet like Dixon. But I'd say accuracy problems, happy feet and panic mode are the hallmarks of that type of quarterback, and Smith has two out of three.

I didn't see on-field panic from Smith at all. I thought his composure under pressure was consistently good. Although I do agree accuracy is definitely a concern. But, Leftwich is just as poor if not worse in that department (which surprised me).

The player Smith actually reminded me of, if you cut off their arms, was Jeff Garcia. They play very similar games from the waste down and from the neck up.

86WARD
06-03-2012, 08:41 AM
If they were good/gooder, they'd be starting somewhere.

lol...not necessarily...

But it'd be nice to have someone back there that someone else might want...

ShutDown24
06-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I highly doubt the Steelers sign anyone else on. But for conversations sake, here are the top quarterback free agents on the market right now.

Kyle Boller
Mark Brunell
Donovan McNabb
Jake Delhomme
Dennis Dixon
Jeff Garcia
Jon Kitna
JP Losman
Luke McCown
Kevin O'Connell

I take Troy Smith over every one of those guys. The only player who even comes close for me is Luke McCown. I actually think McNabb and Garcia can still operate an offense, but if you are looking for a long term solution at backup neither of those guys are your answer. There is at least a chance Smith is.

ShutDown24
06-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Steelers back-up quarterback hopeful Troy Smith has been a part of the Steelers for a few months, but he's already mixing things up with two traditional rivals...

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/29/3051202/steelers-qb-troy-smith-calls-out-browns-says-he-would-have-beaten-out

How can you not like that? :chuckle:

steelreserve
06-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I didn't see on-field panic from Smith at all. I thought his composure under pressure was consistently good. Although I do agree accuracy is definitely a concern. But, Leftwich is just as poor if not worse in that department (which surprised me).

The player Smith actually reminded me of, if you cut off their arms, was Jeff Garcia. They play very similar games from the waste down and from the neck up.

Well, whatever it is, I hope Smith has ironed it out. We might have different ideas about his strengths and weaknesses, but the bottom line is, I was NOT impressed with much that I saw from him. Maybe I'm being too hard on him. Maybe Singletary's offense made him look worse than he really was. I hope it's one of those.

fansince'76
06-03-2012, 02:10 PM
I highly doubt the Steelers sign anyone else on. But for conversations sake, here are the top quarterback free agents on the market right now.

...Mark Brunell...

:old:

ShutDown24
06-03-2012, 02:15 PM
:old:

Brunell has at least a decade on that emoticon :chuckle:

Count Steeler
06-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Bottom line is that we have to trust Tomlin to keep the 2 best guys behind Ben.
Next year may be the time to start going fishing for the heir apparent to Ben.

fansince'76
06-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Brunell has at least a decade on that emoticon :chuckle:

Which I find sad as Brunell is two years younger than I am. :chuckle:

Prok
06-03-2012, 09:12 PM
I still remember Smith beating us when he was with the ratbirds. If he's able to maintain that type of play i'd be thrilled with him at backup. Hey, does anyone happen to know his RSG (Rosetta stone grade) ???

vader29
06-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Brunell is tainted with a Sanchez booger, don't want!