PDA

View Full Version : Enter Baron Batch and Chris Rainey.

zulater
06-01-2012, 05:06 AM
Only a fraction of Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s system has been installed through the first two weeks of organized team activities.

Even so, one critical concept has become quite clear **— a player who can line up as a running back, motion out of the backfield and set up at the slot receiver position is going to be extremely valuable.

Enter Baron Batch and Chris Rainey.

Despite not having one NFL snap between them, Haley has a pair of prototypical hybrids with Rainey (5-foot-8, 178) and Batch (5-10, 210) who can fill that important role in his offense.

“It might be third down, it might be by package, you might see him as a receiver or as a running back, but you’ll see him do a little bit of everything,” Haley said after drafting Rainey.

The same can be said about Batch, who tore his ACL after turning some heads during the first week of training camp last year. He missed his entire rookie season.

“There is a lot of stuff to get the backs in space (with this offense),” Batch said.

The hybrid role sounds like a typical run-of-the-mill third-down back, but it’s really much more complex.

Haley is looking to create favorable matchups with a versatile guy who can outrun linebackers and safeties from multiple spots on the field, and he could get that with Rainey or Batch.

Rainey started 13 games at running back and six at slot receiver during his time at Florida, and Batch was versatile while at Texas Tech, making them good fits Haley’s hybrid role.

“I have no clue yet what my role will be,” Rainey said. “I don’t care what it is, but I love running back. I am ready whatever they want me to do. I have mad confidence in myself. I got a lot of talent and God-given gifts.”

Haley used that role the past two years in Kansas City with Dexter McCluster. After toying around with McCluster as strictly a slot receiver, Haley settled on a role in the backfield for McCluster where he could run or catch it equally effective.

Haley said after a preseason game last year against Baltimore when McCluster gained 71 total yards on seven touches (six of which came on first down) that “this guy clearly in space is a hazard to the defense.”

McCluster had 516 rushing and 318 receiving yards on 160 touches last year from the hybrid role.

http://triblive.com/sports/1893570-85/batch-role-rainey-haley-running-mccluster-hybrid-offense-receiver-chris

ShutDown24
06-01-2012, 05:38 AM
They need to try and keep both. I know it will be hard with Dwyer, Redman and Mendenhall each demanding a roster spot as well, and especially with Johnson moving to the backfield full-time, but the one two punch of Batch and Rainey could be an asset for years to come. And I'm not just talking about on third down. Batch is big enough that he can carry a bit of a load, but he's still explosive enough to do some of the things you want a smaller back to do. While Rainey isn't big enough to handle a ton of carries, but is skilled enough to - I believe - become a superstar like player. If it came down to it I'd rather keep Batch and Rainey than Rainey and Clemons. Play Rainey as your 5th wide receiver if you have to, I have seen enough of Haley's running schemes to know that the power game might not be all it's cracked up to be when all is said and done. I want as many scatbacks on this roster as possible, and Batch & Rainey are two good ones.

Count Steeler
06-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Well, with Tomlin's "versatility" mantra, Rainey may be a step ahead of the "combat catcher", Clemons.

zulater
06-01-2012, 05:47 AM
They need to try and keep both. I know it will be hard with Dwyer, Redman and Mendenhall each demanding a roster spot as well, and especially with Johnson moving to the backfield full-time, but the one two punch of Batch and Rainey could be an asset for years to come. And I'm not just talking about on third down. Batch is big enough that he can carry a bit of a load, but he's still explosive enough to do some of the things you want a smaller back to do. While Rainey isn't big enough to handle a ton of carries, but is skilled enough to - I believe - become a superstar like player. If it came down to it I'd rather keep Batch and Rainey than Rainey and Clemons. Play Rainey as your 5th wide receiver if you have to, I have seen enough of Haley's running schemes to know that the power game might not be all it's cracked up to be when all is said and done. I want as many scatbacks on this roster as possible, and Batch & Rainey are two good ones.

Unless Dwyer comes in in much better shape this year I think he's the odd man out. Dwyer has ability but he hasn't shown the type of commitment that's needed to succeed at the highest level of the game.

7willBheaven
06-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Unless Dwyer comes in in much better shape this year I think he's the odd man out. Dwyer has ability but he hasn't shown the type of commitment that's needed to succeed at the highest level of the game.

I think they all make it, Mendy on PUP, Redman, Dwyer, Batch and Rainey. And I'm not worried about Dwyer especially this year...as he's coming off an injury at the end of the season...so he'd have a reason to be out of shape.

ShutDown24
06-02-2012, 06:47 AM

Definitely true. I do believe I read somewhere a few weeks back that Dwyer was hitting it hard this offeason, but I guess we don't really know until camp. Hopefully this concern will prove to be a thing of the past this year.

tube517
06-02-2012, 10:26 AM
This is an important season for Dwyer. He will have to show he is worth keeping. Mendenhall will probably be gone next year.

As far as Batch and Rainey they are what Haley looks for in his Rosetta stone offense.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Psycho Ward 86
06-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Well, with Tomlin's "versatility" mantra, Rainey may be a step ahead of the "combat catcher", Clemons.

Hasnt really come up much other than regards to the O-line

Count Steeler
06-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Hasnt really come up much other than regards to the O-line

“We value the concept of position flexibility,” Tomlin said. “You have to start somewhere. These guys who are going to be viable candidates, they are going to have more than one skill set, and of course, we will get to a point where we will see who can do multiple things.”

Tomlin wants the rookies to be comfortable with their position during rookie minicamp. That’s why he had yet to move players into a position they are unfamiliar with.

Well he did say flexibility rather than versatility.

Devilsdancefloor
06-02-2012, 05:54 PM
i really think the steelers are in a good position to many good players at a position is a good thing. it will bring out the best in all of them