PDA

View Full Version : USA Soccer

SCSTILLER
05-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Any USA Soccer (football) fans out there? Watched the Scotland game, 5-1 victory, and it was incredible to watch. Right now US losing to Brazil 3-1 but they are still playing decent considering that they are still getting used to figuring out Klinsmans new system. Looking forward World Cup qualifying! Go USA!!!!!

steeldevil
05-30-2012, 10:03 PM
We didn't even qualify for the Olympics this summer for anyone who didn't know.

How pathetic.

SCSTILLER
05-31-2012, 09:34 AM
We didn't even qualify for the Olympics this summer for anyone who didn't know.

How pathetic.

Yeah, we didn't qualify for the Olympics but I wouldn't call it pathetic. Klinsmann was just installed as coach when Olympic qualifying games were starting, plus alot of the better US players had club committments and didn't play some of the qualifying games. It sucks that they didn't make the Olympics but there were reasons, not just poor play, that it happened.

GBMelBlount
05-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Any USA Soccer (football) fans out there?

Watched the Scotland game, 5-1 victory, and it was incredible to watch. Right now US losing to Brazil 3-1 but they are still playing decent considering that they are still getting used to figuring out Klinsmans new system. Looking forward World Cup qualifying! Go USA!!!!!

Nope. Sorry. Funny thing is I was the starting center forward on our high school soccer team yet I cannot stand to watch it.

It is just sooooo slow in my opinion...

SCSTILLER
05-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Nope. Sorry. Funny thing is I was the starting center forward on our high school soccer team yet I cannot stand to watch it.

It is just sooooo slow in my opinion...

For most people it is too slow, but having played my whole and having watched games overseas in person I appreciate the game for what it is and the tactics involved. What always cracks me up is when die hard baseball fans complain that soccer is too slow, I just have never understood how they say baseball is more exciting than soccer (that is just me though).

GBMelBlount
06-01-2012, 06:24 PM
For most people it is too slow, but having played my whole and having watched games overseas in person I appreciate the game for what it is and the tactics involved. What always cracks me up is when die hard baseball fans complain that soccer is too slow, I just have never understood how they say baseball is more exciting than soccer (that is just me though).

That explains it. You had talent and understood the tactics.

I just liked to run, kick the ball and knock people over. :grin:

Polamalu Princess
06-01-2012, 07:31 PM

However, GB, you were very good!!!

SCSTILLER
06-01-2012, 09:05 PM

No talent. I liked to flop and roll on the ground like I was dying an excruciating death, haha.

GBMelBlount
06-02-2012, 03:34 PM
No talent. I liked to flop and roll on the ground like I was dying an excruciating death, haha.

LOL. I am sure you were / are quite good SC if you played through school.

I will say that it is fun to watch the highlights of the games as it seems like they can fit the most exciting moments and scoring into only 30 to 60 seconds. :chuckle:

SCSTILLER
06-05-2012, 02:45 PM
LOL. I am sure you were / are quite good SC if you played through school.

I will say that it is fun to watch the highlights of the games as it seems like they can fit the most exciting moments and scoring into only 30 to 60 seconds. :chuckle:

Cannot disagree with you there. Kind of like Nascar, all the crashes and then the winner crossing the finish line is all that one needs to see on Sportscenter

GBMelBlount
06-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Cannot disagree with you there. Kind of like Nascar, all the crashes and then the winner crossing the finish line is all that one needs to see on Sportscenter

Exactly! lol.

I doubt I would have made many highlight reels back in the day as they didn't film the games much however I do remember one that was noteworthy...

We were in a varsity match and it was tied with about 5 seconds left and the ball went out of bounds. The coach had me take the corner kick. I hit a beauty that hooked right in front of the net and my teammate terry came out of nowhere and drilled it through the crowd and into the back the net with NO time left. It was crazy. It was one of the best rushes I can remember.

Those were the days SC... :drink:

SCSTILLER
08-15-2012, 09:10 PM
I am probably the only one on this board that watched the game but the United States has just beaten Mexico (yes, the gold medal soccer winner in the Olympics) for the first time ever, 75 years. The US played a sloppy game but managed to squeek out the victory against Mexico and make history. It was great to see alot of the younger players make a difference and get some much needed premier experience, and the goalie Tim Howard was spectacular in his performance making two incredible saves to seal the win for the US squad.

SCSTILLER
08-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Exactly! lol.

I doubt I would have made many highlight reels back in the day as they didn't film the games much however I do remember one that was noteworthy...

We were in a varsity match and it was tied with about 5 seconds left and the ball went out of bounds. The coach had me take the corner kick. I hit a beauty that hooked right in front of the net and my teammate terry came out of nowhere and drilled it through the crowd and into the back the net with NO time left. It was crazy. It was one of the best rushes I can remember.

Those were the days SC... :drink:

GB...I miss playing. That sounds like one hell of a play. I stopped playing after school when I was in a coed, no slide tackling, rec league that was really aobut kicking the ball around and drinking beer while on the side lines and some idiot came barrelling into me like it was the World Cup final and broke my ankle. After that I realized that I don't heal that quickly, but I do miss it.

I remember one game when I was new to a high school in York, ME and the coach inserted me into goal. Now, noone in the stands even knew that I existed and this was a scrimmage, but I remember making save after save (rather spectacularly if I may add) and the PA announcer saying "another great save by.......who is this kid." That was the only season I was at York as I moved back to New Brighton and played there.

GBMelBlount
08-16-2012, 08:02 PM
GB...I miss playing. That sounds like one hell of a play. I stopped playing after school when I was in a coed, no slide tackling, rec league that was really about kicking the ball around and drinking beer while on the side lines and some idiot came barrelling into me like it was the World Cup final and broke my ankle. After that I realized that I don't heal that quickly, but I do miss it.

I remember one game when I was new to a high school in York, ME and the coach inserted me into goal. Now, noone in the stands even knew that I existed and this was a scrimmage, but I remember making save after save (rather spectacularly if I may add) and the PA announcer saying "another great save by.......who is this kid." That was the only season I was at York as I moved back to New Brighton and played there.

It is so great to have a moment like that SC when you are in your "zone" and perform to a level beyond what you thought was possible.

It is too bad we can't bottle that but it is so great to have these memories.

...and it's too bad we can't go back and relive those days on occasion. I miss them at times. :drink: