PDA

View Full Version : Seven years later, Kordell Stewart retires a Steeler

polamalubeast
05-30-2012, 01:32 PM
One of the most popular yet polarizing local sports figures of the 1990's and early 2000's, Kordell Stewart returned to Pittsburgh today to "retire" as a Steeler, nearly a decade after he last played for the team.

A second round draft pick in 1995, Stewart played eight seasons in Pittsburgh. He rose to fame during his first two seasons when he saw game action as a wide receiver, a quarterback, a running back and even a punter, earning him the nickname "Slash."

He became the team's starting quarterback in 1997, leading the team to the AFC Championship. In 2001, he was the AFC Offensive Player of the Year, the team MVP and a Pro Bowl selection.

Stewart also was a target of rumors about his personal life and, according to him, death threats during seasons in which he struggled.

Of returning to Pittsburgh today for his "retirement," Stewart said: "It's not closure in a negative way, it's closure in a positive way ... I had a great time doing it. It's about the experience."

Read more: http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12151/1235606-66.stm#ixzz1wNZdyWJ0

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/kordell-stewart-gets-closure-wednesday-by-officially-retiring-with-the-pittsburgh-steelers/

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116552-ed-kordell-stewart-returns-to-steelers

fansince'76
05-30-2012, 02:04 PM
Who? :yawn:

Edman
05-30-2012, 02:08 PM
That's real kind of him...

But, closure for what? I'm sorry Kordell, you were just not an NFL-caliber Quarterback. He had athleticism, but no mental ability. He had his moments, but he just wasn't all there mentally.

fansince'76
05-30-2012, 02:09 PM
That's real kind of him...

But, closure for what? I'm sorry Kordell, you were just not an NFL-caliber Quarterback. He had athleticism, but no mental ability. He had his moments, but he just wasn't all there mentally.

He could one-hop passes to (or rocket them 10 feet over the heads of) wide open receivers with the best of 'em!

polamalubeast
05-30-2012, 02:19 PM
I know that Kordell Stewart was not the best QB and he was awful in the playoffs, but he was not the worst QB in nfl history!

fansince'76
05-30-2012, 02:24 PM
I know that Kordell Stewart was not the best QB and he was awful in the playoffs, but he was not the worst QB in nfl history!

True enough - Tomczak was even worse and he was given a "retirement ceremony" years after the fact as well...

Michael
05-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Kordell should have saved everybody's time and brought Limas Sweed in to retire a Steeler also.

st33lersguy
05-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Why did the Steelers allow this for someone who lost two AFC Championships almost by himself. Kordell had the benefit of Jerome Bettis in his prime, a top ranked defense and a great OL, and he still didn't go to a Super Bowl. Had Big Ben or Bradshaw been the starter in 97 or 01, the Steelers make it to the Super Bowl both years

Godfather
05-30-2012, 02:45 PM
He was a decent QB, but not a great one. He was too inconsistent and didn't perform well in big games.

But he still got better results than a lot of other guys between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger, and he created some great highlight reel moments.

ALLD
05-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Cowher never kissed Ben.

polamalubeast
05-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Why did the Steelers allow this for someone who lost two AFC Championships almost by himself. Kordell had the benefit of Jerome Bettis in his prime, a top ranked defense and a great OL, and he still didn't go to a Super Bowl. Had Big Ben or Bradshaw been the starter in 97 or 01, the Steelers make it to the Super Bowl both years

2001,yes....but in 1997, maybe but I'm not sure....the Broncos had an incredible team

but it is certain that the reason that the Steelers missed the playoffs in 1998,1999 and 2000 was because of the QB position!

Devilsdancefloor
05-30-2012, 02:56 PM
2001,yes....but in 1997, maybe but I'm not sure....the Broncos had an incredible team

but it is certain that the reason that the Steelers missed the playoffs in 1998,1999 and 2000 was because of the QB position!

In 97 the bus was running at will and for some reason we put it into korkys hands. If he had remained Slash i think his career would have been so different, but he in his mind was a QB

steel striker
05-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah with Kordell he would get your hopes up only to disappoint in the end. I think most of us knew in a big moment in the game there would always be the bad pass for a int.

Count Steeler
05-30-2012, 02:59 PM
In the hope of joining the Black and Gold wing in Canton?

GodfatherofSoul
05-30-2012, 03:11 PM
I wonder if his Canton bust will have those skin boils? I was a Korkie defender for a season or two after everyone else figured out he was trash and boy do I regret that. I'd deny it, but the damned internet preserves all your posts!

steelerdude15
05-30-2012, 03:39 PM
I can remember watching him as a little kid. He wasn't the best, but he did have some good moments and some bad as well. I always like to see someone retire as a Steeler and to come back to retire as a Steeler shows someone how wonderful of an organization it is and how great and classy the Rooneys are.

st33lersguy
05-30-2012, 03:46 PM

In '97, Kordell threw an incredibly bad interception in the endzone in triple coverage in a game decided by a field goal.

86WARD
05-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Stewart was a decent QB...not horrible. As "Slash," he was bad ass. If he would've stayed in that role, he would've been super special...he's not to blame though. Blame falls on Cowher for letting Stewart dictate where and what position he'd play. Cowher should've stuck him in the Slash role forever!

O'Malley
05-30-2012, 05:02 PM
He could one-hop passes to (or rocket them 10 feet over the heads of) wide open receivers with the best of 'em!

Also talk shi+ about the Steelers with the best of them(Sapp,Dukes) as an "analyst" for ESPN..

SteelGhost
05-30-2012, 07:21 PM
I wonder if his Canton bust will have those skin boils? I was a Korkie defender for a season or two after everyone else figured out he was trash and boy do I regret that. I'd deny it, but the damned internet preserves all your posts!

No problem, we forgive you, everybody deserves a second chance j/k :chuckle:

BigNastyDefense
05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
If he would have stuck with the "slash" role, he would have potentially been a Hall of Fame player.

Moose
05-30-2012, 07:43 PM
He did provide some entertainment and controversy. LOL. Good Luck in 'retirement'. :)

st33lersguy
05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Also talk shi+ about the Steelers with the best of them(Sapp,Dukes) as an "analyst" for ESPN..

Yeah like the time he proclaimed the Steelers had no chance against the Cheatriots

ShutDown24
05-31-2012, 04:35 AM
I'm glad Kordell got to retire as a Steeler.

zulater
05-31-2012, 05:15 AM
Yeah like the time he proclaimed the Steelers had no chance against the Cheatriots

Or like when before the 2008 playoffs started he proclaimed Taveras Jackson to be Ben's equal. :doh:

Whatever makes him happy I guess.

GoSlash27
05-31-2012, 05:38 PM
I've never understood the hostility towards Slash. I get that some people blame him for generally-sucky performance in the later years (although I personally disagree), but even so why be mad at him personally? It's not like he's Neil O'Donnell.
He's retiring a Steeler and I'm glad for him.

steelreserve
05-31-2012, 09:13 PM
He would've been a lot better if he hadn't been jammed into an every-down QB role. I can't remember whether that was his idea or Cowher's, but it sure gave us the worst of both worlds.

Steeldude
06-02-2012, 06:12 AM
Kordell is the only reason the Steelers didn't make any SBs from 97 to 2001.

86WARD
06-02-2012, 06:13 AM
Not really...

Steeldude
06-02-2012, 06:14 AM
It's not like he's Neil O'Donnell.

That's the problem. He wasn't like O'Donnell. O'Donnell was a thousand times better than the overly, pathetic Kordell.

zulater
06-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Ten years after last playing for the franchise (seven years after last playing in the NFL), Kordell Stewart retired as a Steeler. Hosted a press gathering. Got honored, in a sense.
Why?
Stewart only started five seasons in Pittsburgh. Missed the playoffs three straight times, a disaster by team standards. Bookended those dismal campaigns by losing two AFC finals, both at home, both with the Steelers favored, three interceptions in each.

At best, Stewart was a failure. More accurately, he was a blip on the radar screen. Insignificant.

Who’s going to be the next scrub to sign a one-day contract, then retire as a Steeler? How about Dick Shiner?

http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/madden-time-for-a-ring-of-honor-at-heinz/article_0bf83dbf-b6eb-5335-843c-1bc376fc1e0f.html