PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers: Top 10 Rivalries in Team History

polamalubeast
05-29-2012, 05:25 PM
As we celebrated this past Memorial Day, thoughts of the men and women who have served in combat to defend our nation should be on our mind.

Piggybacking on that theme of remembering service in battle, I thought it would be fun to look back and chronicle the 10 biggest rivals in the 80-year-history of the Steelers.

There are few NFL franchises that can claim the type of history like the Black & Gold. Over the years the Steelers have had their share of great moments against certain teams that stand out; thus the genesis of this feature.

I know that this list is subjective and could send some into a frenzy. It doesn't take much to make a Steelers fan mad, but keep in mind that I took several factors into consideration while compiling the list you are about to read. They include these four, but not necessarily in order of importance:

How long the teams have played each other
The impact of the games played (Ex: Big playoff meetings or 'historical' moments.)
If the series is even or lopsided
How many games played between the two teams
I will give you ample reason as to why the teams on the 10-6 list are there, but I will spend more time covering the teams that crack the top 5.

Again, this list is just one man's opinion.

So sit back, crack open a cold beverage and get the fire going on the grill once again. Prepare yourself properly as you digest the 10 greatest rivalries the Pittsburgh Steelers have ever had (and as always, your feedback on the list is welcome).

read more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1197307-top-10-all-time-rivalries-of-the-pittsburgh-steelers#/articles/1197307-top-10-all-time-rivalries-of-the-pittsburgh-steelers

silver & black
05-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Where it becomes gray is the Raiders, b/c the hottest ire felt in both rivalries (Dallas and Oakland) came in the same era. In the Super Bowl, the Steelers were sick with the thought of losing to Dallas. But, to even get there, the Steelers had to go through their conference rival and bitter enemy, the Oakland Raiders. Heads rolled, conspiracies flew (Immaculate Reception vs. Deception, Icy Fields, hurt running backs, criminal allegations, Tatum and Atkinson as the assassins, etc.), and the two teams battled for blood in the AFC for ten years of intensity that no other two teams have ever (IMO) matched in the AFC in such an acute dose. The bad blood bleeds through until today when the teams meet. I'd say for my top 5:

:jolly:

Count Steeler
05-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Where it becomes gray is the Raiders, b/c the hottest ire felt in both rivalries (Dallas and Oakland) came in the same era. In the Super Bowl, the Steelers were sick with the thought of losing to Dallas. But, to even get there, the Steelers had to go through their conference rival and bitter enemy, the Oakland Raiders. Heads rolled, conspiracies flew (Immaculate Reception vs. Deception, Icy Fields, hurt running backs, criminal allegations, Tatum and Atkinson as the assassins, etc.), and the two teams battled for blood in the AFC for ten years of intensity that no other two teams have ever (IMO) matched in the AFC in such an acute dose. The bad blood bleeds through until today when the teams meet. I'd say for my top 5:

:jolly:

Yup, the good old days. Maybe we should lock up Goodell in a room and play the games of the seventies over and over until he realizes what football is supposed to look like.

Edman
05-29-2012, 08:27 PM
I have no problem with the list. The Cowpukes #1 and both Browns teams at 2 and 3.

steelerdude15
05-29-2012, 10:17 PM
This was a really good list.

polamalubeast
05-29-2012, 10:38 PM
The opponent that the Steelers have faced most often in the playoffs, it's the broncos and I was surprised when I saw that

The Steelers and Broncos have faced in the playoffs 7 times(1977,1978,1984,1989,1997,2005 and 2011)

The Steelers have won in 1978,1984 and 2005 and lost the other 4 games.