PDA

View Full Version : Valley’s Clemons stays grounded

stillers4me
05-28-2012, 10:40 AM
It’s been one month since Toney Clemons joined the Steelers’ congregation, a local kid with big dreams primed to make the most of an opportunity with his hometown team.

On April 28, he was introduced to Steeler Nation, a promising young receiver with a wide smile, thoughtful personality and suddenly, one foot in the NFL door.

In a matter of hours that day, he gained more than 1,000 Twitter followers, his cell phone flooded with texts and calls, his popularity spiked.

In the weeks that followed, Clemons signed a contract, attended rookie camp and organized team activities and learned he’ll wear No. 11 if he makes the team.

One would think the whirlwind was life-changing for the Valley graduate...............

read more @ http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1858555-85/clemons-toney-camp-rookie-steelers-team-mckillop-pick-round-valley

stillers4me
05-28-2012, 10:45 AM
“The only change I do see is not so much with Toney but the community and surrounding areas,” she said.
“People from New Kensington, Burrell, Tarentum, all over, are so excited and happy for him. Little kids are concentrating and doing well in school. They have a newfound energy — they see what Toney has gone through, living in the ’hood and the obstacles he’s had to overcome. They say, ‘If he can do it, maybe I can, too.’ ”
Clemons is aware of his favorable impact.
“It makes me feel amazing to know that I am a walking, talking, breathing example,” he said. “Kids can relate to the struggle. These are kids who came from the same neighborhoods and streets and are playing football in the same public housing yards that I did growing up.”

Clemons sounds like another quality character pick by the Steelers. I love that we have a handful of picks this year that not only want to be NFL players, but their goal was to STEELERS. I'm rooting for guys like him and Baron Batch to be stand outs..... not only as contributors on the team but for the community as well. Guys like Charlie Batch are rare...but it seems like we have a whole new "batch" following behind him. (sorry for the pun)

ALLD
05-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Others who also wore #11:
Stefan Logan (09) Quincy Morgan (05) Kent Graham (00) Mike Quinn (97) Rick Strom (89-93) Jeff Quinn (82) Gene Mingo (69) Rich Badar (67) Ron Meyer (65) Howard Hartley (49-51) Norm Mosley (48) Curtis...

Psycho Ward 86
05-28-2012, 02:23 PM
lol, id expect a 7th round pick to do so

Count Steeler
05-28-2012, 03:01 PM
The "combat catcher". Just for that line from Tomlin, I am glad we drafted him.