PDA

View Full Version : Today's Pittsburgh Steelers Are an All-Time Great Team, but Not a Dynasty

polamalubeast
05-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Looking at the entirety of the modern era of Pittsburgh Steelers football, the Black and Gold are certainly the benchmark by which other NFL franchises' success should be judged.

After all, the six-time Super Bowl champions have achieved the ultimate measure of greatness more often since the 1970 merger than any of their peers, a collection of Lombardi Trophies that usurps the bragging rights of all other teams.

In this manner, the franchise as a whole can obviously be recognized as dynastic. However, the term dynasty, as it is used to describe collections of players that achieve greatness in their individual eras, is not a descriptor that should be used readily, and it does not describe the Steelers from 2004-date or the last two decades overall.

While many fans rightfully celebrate this era of the Steelers, the second championship phase in the team's proud history, the description of greatness should suffice; however, many loyalists have described the Black and Gold of the new millennium, particularly since the arrival of Ben Roethlisberger, as a dynasty. While this status is still within reach for the proud Super Bowl roster, the phrase is misused.

Rest assured, as it concerns this particular collection of players who wear the Black and Gold proudly, a dynasty had not yet been born. Great pride has been felt and scintillating success has been realized, but the franchise has still only experienced one dynasty.

Keep in mind that the notion of a dynasty should be honored, reserved for the elite of the elite, the greatest of the greats and the champions amongst all other champions. To not be labelled as a dynasty should not be deemed an insult. This is a descriptor that must be earned, and it has not been achieved by most NFL champions, even some of the greatest collections of talent among the list of Lombardi winners.

read more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1198066-todays-pittsburgh-steelers-are-an-all-time-great-team-but-not-a-dynasty

Godfather
05-27-2012, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't call the 2005-2008 team a dynasty. Different coaches, a lot of different players (especially on offense), and two rings three years apart followed by three years without a Lombardi.

If we win the next couple or 2 in the next 3 years, I'd call that a dynasty.

fansince'76
05-27-2012, 04:01 PM
The dynasties are as follows:

5. 2000's Patriots: Like the Cowboys of the 90's, the Patriots did what many considered impossible in the modern NFL, winning three championships in only four years with great quarterback Tom Brady at the helm.

Sorry, but I don't consider those cheaters a dynasty. Especially since they've dropped two SBs since they were forced to stop.

polamalubeast
05-27-2012, 04:05 PM
This is not a dynasty but this is a great team

Since 2004

2 super bowl
3 super bowl Apparence
4 AFC Title game
10-4 in playoffs
89-39 in regular season

Not a dynasty,but this is a great,great,great Team

Edman
05-27-2012, 04:47 PM
There hasn't been a "dynasty" in the NFL since the early 90's Cowboys, and I HATE the Cowboys. I'm not saying that to be spiteful. The 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, 80's Niners are dynasties. The 00's Patriots are not a dynasty. I begrudgingly admitted them as such back them, but then Spygate came up...

I think this current age of Steelers isn't over yet. We're entering the next phase of the Ben Roethlisberger Era. New Offense. Popular veterans on their way out. Ben hitting 30. Youth Infusion. New Leaders emerging...

This current gen of Steelers begin with Ben's drafting in 2004 and will end with Ben's retirement. The Ben-Era Steelers aren't going to give the 70's Steelers a run for their money anytime soon, but it's not over yet. Football Gods willing, this team still has a lot more noise to make.

Count Steeler
05-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Ben could possibly be leading a great team into a dynasty, but there is a long way to go. The next few years will dictate the true description of Ben and this Steelers era.

BigNastyDefense
05-27-2012, 07:06 PM
If Ben gets one more ring, he's a shoe-in for the HoF.

I agree that this is an all-time great team, but not a dynasty. Two Super Bowl wins out of three appearances, especially with how those teams followed up those two Super Bowl wins with missing the playoffs, and the length of time between Super Bowl wins would disqualify them as a dynasty.

The Ben Roethlisberger era is not over, and he could walk away with three, four, or even five Super Bowl rings. The Steelers are ushering in younger players, and we aren't rebuilding, just simply reloading.

ALLD
05-27-2012, 07:07 PM
The Patriots won* three Super Bowls in 4 seasons.

86WARD
05-27-2012, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't call the 2005-2008 team a dynasty. Different coaches, a lot of different players (especially on offense), and two rings three years apart followed by three years without a Lombardi.

If we win the next couple or 2 in the next 3 years, I'd call that a dynasty.

There's really no such thing as a dynasty in this day and age of the NFL with all the free agency/turnover that occurs on a team from year to year...

polamalubeast
05-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Do you think the redskins of 1982 to 1991(4 super bowl apparence and win 3 super bowl) are very close to being a Dynasty ?

ALLD
05-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Do you think the redskins of 1982 to 1991(4 super bowl apparence and win 3 super bowl) are very close to being a Dynasty ?

No, because they used different QBs and the spread was too wide. The 49ers of that era were one of the top 3 NFL teams of all time.

fansince'76
05-28-2012, 10:33 AM
No, because they used different QBs and the spread was too wide.

They also got completely embarrassed by the Raiders in SB XVIII. Agreed - not a dynasty. Dynasty teams don't get their butts kicked in the SB.

polamalubeast
05-28-2012, 11:27 AM
They also got completely embarrassed by the Raiders in SB XVIII. Agreed - not a dynasty. Dynasty teams don't get their butts kicked in the SB.

I agree that the Redskins are not a dynasty, but it's not because of their defeat against the Raiders in 1983

This is a feat to participate in the super bowl!

In 1986, the 49ers lost 49-3 against the Giants, but it's still a dynasty, despite their embarrassing playoffs loss in 1986 in New York.

In the NBA, the Lakers have been swept by the 76ers in NBA finals in 1983 and 1989 by the pistons, but the Lakers of the 1980s are a dynasty,despite his two sweep in NBA final

The redskins are not a dynasty, but it's not because of the loss of 38-9 against the Raiders.

steelreserve
05-28-2012, 01:09 PM

No, because you can't be a dynasty when there's another team that's as good as or better than you. The Redskins and Giants were excellent teams in that era, but the 49ers were hands-down the best. Just like in the 70s, you had the Cowboys, Raiders, Dolphins who were all very good, but the Steelers were better. There's no dynasty of second place.

As far as the present-day Steelers go, I don't think you can make a case for a dynasty unless they win one, probably two more Super Bowls, and lose none. Three is kind of the minimum for consideration in any sport, and if it's spread out over a decade, you need more. Hell, you don't hear anyone calling the San Antonio Spurs a dynasty, and they won 4 titles in 8 years, just never back-to-back and never in dominant fashion.

polamalubeast
05-28-2012, 03:30 PM
No, because you can't be a dynasty when there's another team that's as good as or better than you. The Redskins and Giants were excellent teams in that era, but the 49ers were hands-down the best. Just like in the 70s, you had the Cowboys, Raiders, Dolphins who were all very good, but the Steelers were better. There's no dynasty of second place.

As far as the present-day Steelers go, I don't think you can make a case for a dynasty unless they win one, probably two more Super Bowls, and lose none. Three is kind of the minimum for consideration in any sport, and if it's spread out over a decade, you need more. Hell, you don't hear anyone calling the San Antonio Spurs a dynasty, and they won 4 titles in 8 years, just never back-to-back and never in dominant fashion.

The Spurs not a dynasty?

If they win the title this year, it would be their 5th championship in 13 years with the same coach and Tim Duncan have been in his five championships.

The 49ers won five Super Bowl in 14 years and we consider this club as a dynasty .... why the Spurs would not be a dynasty if they win the title this year?

steelreserve
05-28-2012, 04:05 PM
The Spurs not a dynasty?

If they win the title this year, it would be their 5th championship in 13 years with the same coach and Tim Duncan have been in his five championships.

The 49ers won five Super Bowl in 14 years and we consider this club as a dynasty .... why the Spurs would not be a dynasty if they win the title this year?

I'm not claiming to know, just saying that people don't call them one. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the Lakers have won five titles in the same timeframe, including three in a row and two in a row, and they've been to the finals 7 of the last 11 years. Only 3 teams (Spurs, Lakers, Mavericks) have won the Western Conference since Jordan retired, and what the Lakers have done probably overshadows all of them.

Plus having a recognizable superstar helps the Lakers a lot, I'm sure. Tim Duncan, Tony parker and Manu Ginobli may all be great players, but all three of them combined have nowhere near the name recognition of Shaq or Kobe.

polamalubeast
05-28-2012, 04:17 PM
The problems of the Spurs is that they are in a small market and they are not considered as a team fun to watch

But since 1997, they have the best winning percentage in all the professional sports....Their worst season since 1997 is a record of 50-32!

The spurs is a very underrated team for me...same for Tim Duncan

steelerdude15
05-28-2012, 04:38 PM
If Ben gets one more ring, he's a shoe-in for the HoF.

I agree that this is an all-time great team, but not a dynasty. Two Super Bowl wins out of three appearances, especially with how those teams followed up those two Super Bowl wins with missing the playoffs, and the length of time between Super Bowl wins would disqualify them as a dynasty.

The Ben Roethlisberger era is not over, and he could walk away with three, four, or even five Super Bowl rings. The Steelers are ushering in younger players, and we aren't rebuilding, just simply reloading.

He may win more SB's, but his accusations may hurt him when it comes to HOF time.

fansince'76
05-28-2012, 05:27 PM
He may win more SB's, but his accusations may hurt him when it comes to HOF time.

With the likes of OJ and LT in there, I don't think that should be an issue...

steelerdude15
05-28-2012, 06:27 PM
With the likes of OJ and LT in there, I don't think that should be an issue...

Good point, I didn't think of that. The thing about OJ though, is that he was inducted into the HOF before his trials.

HollywoodSteel
05-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Good point, I didn't think of that. The thing about OJ though, is that he was inducted into the HOF before his trials.

LT's trial was after induction as well, unless what you're talking about is his cocaine use which might have been known before his induction. But I don't think drug use counts against you. Look at Michael Irvin.

I don't think Ben's accusations will keep him out if the numbers are there. Ray Lewis will be a first ballot HOFer and he was actually convicted of something.

SteelGhost
05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Dynasty or not the Steelers are a great team, the greatest for us, I just want more Lombardi's :D:

steelreserve
05-29-2012, 09:12 PM
The problems of the Spurs is that they are in a small market and they are not considered as a team fun to watch

But since 1997, they have the best winning percentage in all the professional sports....Their worst season since 1997 is a record of 50-32!

The spurs is a very underrated team for me...same for Tim Duncan

Underrated for sure. They've been the most consistently good team in the league for over a decade. But ... I don't know, something about what people call a "dynasty" has to do with being completely head-and-shoulders above everyone else for a period of time, where no other team can legitimately claim they were the best. And I think the Lakers can claim they're at least on equal footing. They're both among the all-time great teams IMO, but neither one can call itself a "dynasty" because the other one is always right there with them. You can't have two dynasties at once.

steelerdude15
05-29-2012, 10:56 PM
LT's trial was after induction as well, unless what you're talking about is his cocaine use which might have been known before his induction. But I don't think drug use counts against you. Look at Michael Irvin.

I don't think Ben's accusations will keep him out if the numbers are there. Ray Lewis will be a first ballot HOFer and he was actually convicted of something.

Yes, but Ray was only convicted of obstruction of justice. I'm just worried that some of the judges will hold the accusations against Ben like some judges hold things against Ken Stabler for things he did when he played.

Count Steeler
05-30-2012, 05:09 AM
If Ben ends up with 4 or 5 Rings, there is no way they keep him out of the Hall.

Right now his career has been great, just needs to finish strong.

Butch
05-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Wow feeling the Spurs love here and it's really feeling good. I have always felt that the Spurs are the Steelers of the NBA. Now Pop is going Mike Tomlin with his in game quotes, "I want some Nasty!!!" and "It's a Big Boy game!!!". While neither of these teams are what I would consider a dyNasty in the truest sense of the word they are both consistently great and severely underrated. Spurs like the Steelers are a selfless team willing to sacrifice individual stats. for wins. They are both considered small market, (even though San Antonio is a pretty big city, population wise) have a sound front office and a great coach and players who let their play speak for them.

What really kills me is the sports media. They consistently compare the Spurs to the cheats. They are nothing like the cheats, their coach is loved and has fun with the media unlike hoody who is arrogant and could care less about speaking to the media. Local Sports announcer Mike Taylor says the same thing he tells callers this all the time. This is coming from a man who grew up a cowboy fan yet he's not a homer by any stretch, and he consistently gives the Steelers and Big Ben much love. If you ever listen to I heart radio he comes on a 4pm Central on Ticket 760.