PDA

View Full Version : Nose tackle McLendon has earned Steelers’ trust

Count Steeler
05-27-2012, 06:36 AM
John Mitchell doesn’t arbitrarily hand out compliments; it’s not his style. Instead, the Steelers’ defensive line coach is known to motivate through intimidation.

So when Mitchell went out of his way last month after the Steelers drafted nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu to praise third-year undrafted free agent Steve McLendon, eyebrows were raised.

“Everybody wants to discard McLendon. Let me tell you this, hold your opinion until the season is over,” Mitchell said. “I’m just saying keep your opinion until after the season, (then) you make the decision.”

The Steelers already have made their decision.

They have full confidence in McLendon, who has been released almost as many times as he has recorded a tackle, if veteran Casey Hampton’s surgically repaired knee isn’t ready for the season opener Sept. 9.

“That comes from trust,” McLendon said. “That trust comes from doing everything right. You are not going to be perfect, but (Mitchell) saw that I came in day in and day out with my lunch pail and I was ready to work. Coach Mitch knows that I know my stuff.”

“The tough part is the mental part,” he said. “Knowing what to do and how to do and when to do it is important. I picked Hokie’s brain every chance I got last year.”

McLendon has a specific concept of what kind of player he eventually wants to be.

“I want to be able to be smart like Hoke. I want to be quick like (Dallas’) Jay Ratliff, and I want to be powerful and strong like Hamp,” McLendon said. “You put all that together, and I want that to be Steve McLendon.”

full article @ http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1863450-85/mclendon-2010-nose-signed-steelers-sept-released-tackle-2009-practice?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29

ALLD
05-27-2012, 07:57 AM
And I want to be a professional baseball player who is also an astronaut in the off-season.

oneforthetoe
05-27-2012, 01:26 PM
And I want to be a professional baseball player who is also an astronaut in the off-season.

.... and who dates supermodels,

steelerdude15
05-27-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm really excited to see what he can do as a starter. I bet he'll be good.