PDA

View Full Version : Pope gives Haley playbook his blessing

zulater
05-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Leonard Pope has no doubts that Todd Haley’s offense will work. He’s sure of that because he’s experienced it firsthand.
A 6-foot-8 tight end signed by the Steelers during agency, Pope played in Kansas City the past three years when Haley was the Chiefs’ head coach. He was there in 2010 when KC had a quarterback (Matt Cassel), running back (Jamaal Charles) and wide receiver (Dewayne Bowe) go to the Pro Bowl.
Before that, Pope played in Arizona when Haley was the Cardinals’ offensive coordinator.

“A lot of guys might be having a hard time learning the playbook right now,” Pope said. “But we’re early in OTAs. It may be different from what they’ve done here in the past, especially the terminology part. But it’s still football.”
This week as the Steelers took part in the first three of 10 organized team activity workouts, Haley’s playoff book received a lot of attention. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger used the word “frustrating” to describe the transition from former O.C. Bruce Arians to Haley.
However, Pope says there’s nothing to worry about. In time, the Steelers’ offensive players will learn the terminology and understand the concepts.
“Todd knows what he’s doing,” Pope said. “Will we be more of a running team than the Steelers have been in the past? Will we throw it more? I don’t know. But I will say that Todd will know what his best options are each game and he will use them to the best of his ability.”
Terminology aside, there have already been some noticeable changes offensively.
There seems to be an extra emphasis on the running backs, not only with rushing the football, but also catching it.
For the wide receivers, they’re running different routes than they did during the five-year Arians era.
And Haley definitely has plans to use a fullback, something Arians rarely did. Back-up tight end David Johnson is now strictly a fullback.
"It's tough on everybody to learn a new offense and to learn a new system and new verbiage. We're just trying to get the hang of it,” running back Isaac Redman said. “This new offense is supposed to be easier on the offensive line, and we have a couple of new O-linemen coming in, so hopefully that will open it up.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/pope-gives-haley-playbook-his-blessing/article_41257ce6-a661-11e1-badf-001a4bcf6878.html

zulater
05-26-2012, 07:16 AM
This season might determine once and for all whether Arians held Ben back, or did Ben hold Arains back? :scratchchin:

Probably a little of both is true. I think both are capable of running a more complex scheme, but they fell into a comfort zone with each other and neither was willing to push the other's boundaries any farther than they had to. In both Ben and Bruce's mind the offense wasn't broke or in need of fixing. Maybe they were right to some extent? But personally I think Ben has sold himself ( and our offense) short and Arains enabled him in that capacity.

Going forward in order for the Steelers to be elite the offense is going to have to toe more of the burden than they have in the recent past. With the weapons the Steelers possess there's no reason they can't be elite on the offensive side of the ball. They haven't even come close to that standard in the past 1/2 dozen years on a consistent basis, and there wasn't any evidence they were headed there. So thus the change was needed and made. Therefore; now it's a matter of Ben accepting and adapting to the new system to the best of his abilities. The quicker the better!

In this quest the coaching staff ( up to and including Tomlin) must be patient enough with the process to endure a possible period of adjustment that may see Ben's play slide before it starts to trend back up. ( one step back, two steps forward if you will) Part of this process may involve tough love with Ben, where the coaching staff is going to have to be firm with him and possibly even sit him if he's pouting or purposely going off script. Part of it may require some amateur psychology on the Steelers hierarchy's part where they alternately tear down Ben, and build him back up. And we may even get to a point where Haley might be the one that's going to have to adapt to Ben? Hopefully if so, it's not going to be back to the same old same old. There's often something to be said for two contrary views meeting in the middle, but in this case while some compromise might be helpful, the line of delineation needs to be tilted strongly to Haley's way's of operating. Failure to do so will likely lead to a disastrous 2012 season.

All that said I remain an optimist. It's going to be an interesting preseason and September. While obviously there's some element of boom or bust here, in the end I think both Ben and Haley are well above average in their respective abilities and eventually it will work and work well.

ALLD
05-26-2012, 07:43 AM
This season might determine once and for all whether Arians held Ben back, or did Ben hold Arains back? :scratchchin:

It is obvious to me and thousands of other Steeler enthusiasts. Ben could use some fine tuning, as could many others, but little was done to put him in a position to succeed. I think we won despite who the coordinator was. The key plays in 2008 were based on Harrison being in position for the Immaculate Interception, and everybody listening to Tomlin to block a body if a play was made. Then there is the throw and tip toe catch to win it.

ShutDown24
05-26-2012, 07:45 AM

I have a feeling we will never find out. I don't think Coach Haley would allow that to happen.

zulater
05-26-2012, 08:03 AM
It is obvious to me and thousands of other Steeler enthusiasts. Ben could use some fine tuning, as could many others, but little was done to put him in a position to succeed. I think we won despite who the coordinator was. The key plays in 2008 were based on Harrison being in position for the Immaculate Interception, and everybody listening to Tomlin to block a body if a play was made. Then there is the throw and tip toe catch to win it.

I've heard that theory before and always have disagreed with it. If Harrison doesn't make the pick 6 the game changes from that point on, and there's really no telling what the outcome would have been? But in my opinion the Steelers still would have won, as they were the better team.

Basically what I'm saying is the score could have been 10-10, 14-10 Cardinals, or 10-7 Steelers at halftime and if so the 2nd half plays to a different script than it did. If the Steelers are behind they call different plays. If the Steelers are up by one score they call different plays than if they're leading by double digits etc.

Basically it's like coming to a fork in the road. If you go a different direction ( left instead of right) the scenery and trips changes from that point on. But that doesn't mean the eventual destination will be different.

zulater
05-26-2012, 08:19 AM
I have a feeling we will never find out. I don't think Coach Haley would allow that to happen.

I don't understand your premise here?

Psycho Ward 86
05-26-2012, 11:07 AM

huh

stillers4me
05-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Pope gives Haley playbook his blessing

:chuckle:

For a minute there, I thought I thought we had almost as high a connection as Timmy Tebow.

pepsyman1
05-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Something gives me the feeling that we are going to see some impressive stuff from our offense this season. Based on what I've seen from his last two coaching homes, I don't think he (Haley) will have any problem using any weapon in our arsenal. I'd love to see us drop 400+ points on our competition this season

Psycho Ward 86
05-26-2012, 06:21 PM
haha wow i just noticed the play on words in the headline

Iron Steeler
05-26-2012, 07:13 PM

Wooow I just noticed it too hahaha

Iron Steeler
05-26-2012, 07:17 PM
We have a tough schedule this season. We really don't have time for growing pains in a new offense... Especially with Peyton manning week one. Hopefully we all get on the same page during the off season... I have faith in Haley I am actually extremely excited he's on the squad due to his success of his past two teams offensively

GBMelBlount
05-27-2012, 03:54 AM
We have a tough schedule this season. We really don't have time for growing pains in a new offense... Especially with Peyton manning week one. Hopefully we all get on the same page during the off season... I have faith in Haley I am actually extremely excited he's on the squad due to his success of his past two teams offensively

I would imagine they will rely more on the run earlier in the season while they are getting the playbook down. I am also sure they will be working extra hard this pre season as well.

As an aside, the last time we won the Super Bowl I believe we had the toughest schedule in the nfl.

Count Steeler
05-27-2012, 06:28 AM

That is why Ben needs the Rosetta Stone, it must be written in Latin.

BTW, we always knew we had fans in high places. I wonder which jersey he wears on Sundays.

ALLD
05-27-2012, 08:24 AM
I've heard that theory before and always have disagreed with it. If Harrison doesn't make the pick 6 the game changes from that point on, and there's really no telling what the outcome would have been? But in my opinion the Steelers still would have won, as they were the better team.

Basically what I'm saying is the score could have been 10-10, 14-10 Cardinals, or 10-7 Steelers at halftime and if so the 2nd half plays to a different script than it did. If the Steelers are behind they call different plays. If the Steelers are up by one score they call different plays than if they're leading by double digits etc.

Basically it's like coming to a fork in the road. If you go a different direction ( left instead of right) the scenery and trips changes from that point on. But that doesn't mean the eventual destination will be different.

I agree with your theory more for SB XIII than XLIII. After Jackie Smith dropped the ball in the EZ and the cowboy fans were crying, all I knew was even if he made the catch, Bradshaw would just wind up and get it to Swann or Stallworth again anyway.

Austin87
05-27-2012, 02:32 PM
:chuckle:

For a minute there, I thought I thought we had almost as high a connection as Timmy Tebow.

Yeah, for a moment there I thought the Pope was a Steelers fan...