PDA

View Full Version : What’s in a number? Steelers rookie LB Sean Spence focused on playbook, not replacing

LLT
05-25-2012, 02:17 PM
What’s in a number? Steelers rookie LB Sean Spence focused on playbook, not replacing Farrior
By Associated Press
May 24, 2012

PITTSBURGH — Sean Spence walked toward his locker during his first day as a Pittsburgh Steeler last month, saw the number hanging from the hook and couldn’t quite believe it.

Did the Steelers really give him No. 51, the same number worn by longtime defensive captain James Farrior?

Yep.

“I didn’t have a choice,” Spence said.

Don’t get him wrong. The rookie inside linebacker out of Miami (Fla.) is hardly complaining.

It’s just he knows what No. 51 meant to the franchise over the last decade. All Farrior did in his 10 years with the Steelers was make a couple of Pro Bowls, help the franchise to a pair of Super Bowl victories while leading a unit annually among the best in the league.

No pressure or anything kid.

Read More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/whats-in-a-number-steelers-rookie-lb-sean-spence-focused-on-playbook-not-replacing-farrior/2012/05/24/gJQA6FBZoU_story.html

The Duke
05-25-2012, 03:22 PM
“I’m happy to have it but I think if they would have drafted another linebacker they would have got the same number,” Spence said. “Luckily they drafted me.”

yup, he'll fit right in!

BigNastyDefense
05-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Those are some big shoes to fill, I think he can fill them pretty well from a standpoint of play on the field once he learns the defense and what his responsibilities are in it.

ALLD
05-26-2012, 08:51 PM
For a second it sounded like he was getting #58 or #59. Those two guys were pretty decent ball players and I think they may have won a couple of Super Bowls between them.