PDA

View Full Version : Probowl bound? Keenan Lewis makes bold prediction for 2012

Psycho Ward 86
05-25-2012, 10:22 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82956552/article/steelers-keenan-lewis-predicts-pro-bowl-trip-?module=HP11_headline_stack

In his first three seasons in the NFL, Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Keenan Lewis has as many interceptions (one) as he has starts. That hasn't tempered his expectations heading into the season, as Lewis tells Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he expects to be the team's first Pro Bowl cornerback since the Clinton Administration.

"Pro Bowl," Lewis predicted. "Watch out, this is going to be a big year right here."

With the release of Bryant McFadden and departure of William Gay to the Arizona Cardinals in free agency, the 6-foot, 208-pound Lewis has ideal length for the position and will have an opportunity to lock down the starting job opposite Ike Taylor.

After playing solely on special teams as a rookie, Lewis was given an opportunity to win the starting job in 2010, but could not beat out McFadden and spent another season on special teams in the nine games he was active. Last season, Lewis dressed for all 16 game and made his first career start, recording a career-high 37 tackles, his first career interception (courtesy of Kansas City's Tyler Palko) and six passes defensed while playing in around 40 percent of the Steelers defensive snaps.

Lewis thinks the experience he gained last season will help him in 2012.

"I'm trying to find things I need to work on from last year," said Lewis. "I have all the athletic ability and things like that, just knowing things better will make me a step faster."

I know most people will laugh but id like to take this time to encourage him. Go get it Lewis! :rockon:

fansince'76
05-25-2012, 10:25 AM
I hope he snags 8-10 INTs. Go Keenan! :tt02:

The Duke
05-25-2012, 10:51 AM
LOVE the attitude! no matter how little the pro bowl means, I hope he excels this year

Texasteel
05-25-2012, 12:21 PM
I hope he is right, but if it turns out he can't handle the job there are 2 youngins behind him that will run right over him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Thats my guy......but I also liked Kraig Urbik from the same draft class and look what happened there. Hope he starts the entire season and gets at least 4 INT's.

tube517
05-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Lewis island?

I hope he does well. Finally have some young DBs to look forward to

Devilsdancefloor
05-25-2012, 01:17 PM
i love the attitude!! I hope it cares over and he has his head on right i think that has been his problem thus far not the physical, but the mental part.

LLT
05-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Lewis island?

Hmmmmmmmm......If Lewis and Stephenson BOTH improve their coverage this year.......Treasure Island?

The Duke
05-25-2012, 01:45 PM
i love the attitude!! I hope it cares over and he has his head on right i think that has been his problem thus far not the physical, but the mental part.

yup

unlike Gay who always seemed to have his head in the game, but his obvious physical limitations hurt the way he played

steeldawg
05-25-2012, 02:58 PM
It all starts up front boys, we start pressuring the qb again i think we will see our young corners flash some of that skill we hear about.

SteelerFanInStl
05-25-2012, 06:03 PM
I'd love to see him do it, but I have yet to see anything from him that tells me he's capable.

Count Steeler
05-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Nothing wrong with personal goals. Just keep them personal.

Iron Steeler
05-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Well see... Just don't get ran over by Adrian peterson

steelreserve
05-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Well, we've been starting a young CB with holes in his game opposite from Taylor for 4 or 5 years now, ever since Townsend left. So I don't think we can do any worse. Hopefully one of these young guys, Lewis or Allen, can be the next solid performer there.

GBMelBlount
05-25-2012, 10:30 PM
LOVE the attitude! no matter how little the pro bowl means, I hope he excels this year

X2. I am glad Lewis has high goals and nothing would make me happier than seeing him achieve them.

Steeltreal
05-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Hmmmmmmmm......If Lewis and Stephenson BOTH improve their coverage this year.......Treasure Island?

Bling, Bling

Craic
05-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Well see... Just don't get ran over by Adrian peterson

It's funny how one play can shadow a person's career - like Gay, who was a much better corner than many wanted to give him credit for. Personally, I could care less if he gets ran over two or three times by Adrian Peterson in his career. If he puts up 5-8 INT's a season and a good number of passes defended, I'd take that trade-off any day.

steelreserve
05-26-2012, 04:09 AM
It's funny how one play can shadow a person's career - like Gay, who was a much better corner than many wanted to give him credit for. Personally, I could care less if he gets ran over two or three times by Adrian Peterson in his career. If he puts up 5-8 INT's a season and a good number of passes defended, I'd take that trade-off any day.

Which one play did Gay's career get overshadowed by - the dozen or so times during his first full year when he fell down and gave up a 30-yard catch-and-run where the safeties had to chase down a guy and save a TD? Or the dozen or so times he got burned by a mediocre slot receiver or TE where the safeties had to chase down a guy and save a TD? He was only barely respectable in his most recent year - and even then, only barely.

tube517
05-26-2012, 09:46 AM

I actually don't think of that play. I think of the whole disastrous 09 season with him as starting CB that is lodged in my memory which I try to forget.

BigNastyDefense
05-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Lake effect.

And if we can get pressure on the QB like we have in the past, the turnovers should come. I think that's partly why the turnovers were down last season. Woodley missed a significant amount of time with the hamstring injury and then when he was on the field he was limited due to not being 100%, and we lost Harrison for five games due to a broken eye socket and a bullshit suspension because Colt McCoy ran into him.

Psycho Ward 86
05-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Which one play did Gay's career get overshadowed by - the dozen or so times during his first full year when he fell down and gave up a 30-yard catch-and-run where the safeties had to chase down a guy and save a TD? Or the dozen or so times he got burned by a mediocre slot receiver or TE where the safeties had to chase down a guy and save a TD? He was only barely respectable in his most recent year - and even then, only barely.

He played really well last season with a pass rush that lost its best 2 guys for each half of the season

86WARD
05-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Keep your mouth shut and show it on the field...

Iron Steeler
05-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Preach don't get me wrong I would live to see Lewis do great... Gay just made so nervous on the field day in and day out... It is unfair to highlight the work that he has done in one play , I was just try to be funny. That aside we have an opportunity for improvement and if it's not Lewis hopefully one of the youngest step up

86WARD
05-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Gay was a GREAT nickel. Average corner...

steeldawg
05-27-2012, 08:20 AM
I hope he snags 8-10 INTs. Go Keenan! :tt02:

Lol, if lewis gets 8-10 ints you can gaurantee superbowl number 7