PDA

View Full Version : Style change: Big Ben looks to stay in pocket in new Steelers O

polamalubeast
05-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Two days into OTAs, it sounds like Ben Roethlisberger hasn't quite cracked the "Rosetta Stone" that is the new Pittsburgh Steelers offense. He's been trying to tell his receivers to remain patient with him.

"I tried to tell (them) don't get frustrated because I know you're used to getting a lot more balls, but this is how it was my rookie year," Roethlisberger said, via The Associated Press. "I know what one guy does and I go to him. If he's not open, I start scrambling."

That's what Roethlisberger excels at. But new offensive coordinator Todd Haley is trying to teach Roethlisberger to play more from the pocket.

"I know that I'm supposed to get rid of the ball, stay in the pockets and not get hits," Roethlisberger. "I guess I better learn where the protections are coming from so I don't get hit."

These quotes may inspire some hang-wringing that the Steelers are taking away what Big Ben does best. But it's May, and it makes sense for the team to be focusing on the fundamentals of staying in the pocket. When the games start, he can start improvising again.

Still, it's clear that fundamental aspects of the Steelers offense is changing. They have added fullbacks. They have more tight ends on the field. And Isaac Redman told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the team is focusing more on the running game this year.

Everything old is new again in Pittsburgh.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8294f068/article/ben-roethlisberger-to-wrs-be-patient-with-me?module=HP11_headline_stack

fansince'76
05-24-2012, 11:47 AM
"I tried to tell (them) don't get frustrated because I know you're used to getting a lot more balls, but this is how it was my rookie year," Roethlisberger said, via The Associated Press. "I know what one guy does and I go to him. If he's not open, I start scrambling."

Time until the shouts of "Ben's too dumb to be a QB!" begin to echo in 5,4,3,2,1...

Devilsdancefloor
05-24-2012, 11:50 AM
ben will never "stay" in the pocket just not how he plays. Plus my kids have to here me at least once a game yell "THROW THE BALL BEN THROW IT AWAY AHHHHHHHH DAMN" i hope by game 1 they can all be on the same page or close to it

polamalubeast
05-24-2012, 11:52 AM
if it's like his rookie year for Roethlisberger,this is a very good news for the steelers!

They will be 15-1!!

ALLD
05-24-2012, 02:32 PM
He would have stayed in the pocket earlier, IF there had been a pocket.

tube517
05-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Just fire Haley already. He's just going to yell at Ben and the whole offense and fight w/that diva Wallace. :chuckle:

SteelGhost
05-24-2012, 08:16 PM
He would have stayed in the pocket earlier, IF there had been a pocket.

Maybe with the OL revamped he FINALLY can find out what a pocket is :lol:

Austin87
05-25-2012, 11:40 AM
This is great news, could probably extend his career by a few years. Less scrambling, less hits, I like it.

Steeldude
05-25-2012, 02:27 PM
This will probably be BR's rookie season. He will have to learn actual plays, check downs, learn how to use the pocket etc... No more schoolyard ball.

And no more "I know what one guy does and I go to him. If he's not open, I start scrambling"

fansince'76
05-25-2012, 02:32 PM
This will probably be BR's rookie season. He will have to learn actual plays, check downs, learn how to use the pocket etc... No more schoolyard ball.

And no more "I know what one guy does and I go to him. If he's not open, I start scrambling"

So the 3 years of Whiz as OC at the beginning of his career was schoolyard ball too? I've heard different.

Prok
05-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Maybe with the OL revamped he FINALLY can find out what a pocket is :lol:

haha ain't that the truth. maybe now he'll actually have time for his big slow brain to process info too. ;)