PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Steelers Move David Johnson to FB Fulltime

polamalubeast
05-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Good afternoon,
Steelers just finished their second spring practice and halfback Isaac Redman dropped some news – tight end David Johnson has been moved to fullback on a fulltime basis. He no longer attends meetings with the tight ends and will be part of the running backs meetings.
Redman also said there will be more emphasis put on the running game this season.

read more

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116478-ed-steelers-move-david-johnson-to-fb-fulltime

tube517
05-23-2012, 12:26 PM
What is a fullback?

Edman
05-23-2012, 12:42 PM
What is this "Fullback" you speak of?

The Duke
05-23-2012, 01:03 PM
So Haley does consider him a fullback

Cool! I like DJ, but only playing one position could make it harder for him to make the roster. Unless they really plan on using him all the time

steelreserve
05-23-2012, 01:21 PM
So Haley does consider him a fullback

Cool! I like DJ, but only playing one position could make it harder for him to make the roster. Unless they really plan on using him all the time

If it's a position that nobody else plays and they haven't had a guy who played it for several years, I think the opposite is true. They wouldn't do this and then suddenly decide "you know, what the hell, we don't actually want a fullback, you're gone."

Anyway, I like this. It's not like Johnson was tearing it up as a tight end. Although I do think this is one position like punter or kicker where you can get a really good player for a really low-round pick. It would've been nice to get that kid from Wisconsin, although a fifth-round pick would've been pretty high and I'm glad we got Rainey instead.

GBMelBlount
05-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Kuhn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steeldawg
05-23-2012, 02:08 PM
I like the move because david johnson is a good atheletic blocker and he provides a pass catching weapon out of the backfield

Chidi29
05-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Johnson is a quality lead blocker who is used to the FB role with in the area of 150-200 snaps there the past two years (I'd have to go back and look at the numbers).

With the signing of Pope, we now have another true TE. And then Saunders coming back in Week 5.

steelerdude15
05-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Johnson is a quality lead blocker who is used to the FB role with in the area of 150-200 snaps there the past two years (I'd have to go back and look at the numbers).

With the signing of Pope, we now have another true TE. And then Saunders coming back in Week 5.

If he is still on the team then.

Chidi29
05-23-2012, 03:50 PM
If he is still on the team then.

Don't see why he wouldn't. He'll get placed on the suspended list for the first four weeks, come off, and be the #3 TE.

The Duke
05-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Paulson or some other TE could also get a few weeks on the roster now

Psycho Ward 86
05-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Interesting. I wonder what our tight end depth is going to look like.

Count Steeler
05-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Does this mean one of the bigger backs will be kept in case Johnson gets injured? If Haley is committing to a FB, you have to have some kind of insurance.

Does this mean there is not enough room for both Batch and Rainey?

stillers4me
05-23-2012, 05:17 PM
And in related news, The Colts just traded their FB to Denver. I take it they won't be needed him any longer. :chuckle:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/23/peyton-manning-gets-gronk-of-his-own/#comments

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-25-2012, 12:39 AM
And in related news, The Colts just traded their FB to Denver. I take it they won't be needed him any longer. :chuckle:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/23/peyton-manning-gets-gronk-of-his-own/#comments

Surprised if they get anything for him. Its about time............hopefully he discusses the pony backfield soon.

LLT
05-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Does this mean one of the bigger backs will be kept in case Johnson gets injured? If Haley is committing to a FB, you have to have some kind of insurance.

Does this mean there is not enough room for both Batch and Rainey?

Rainey might be slotted primarily as a STer....at least this year.

He was widely considered to be one of the best punt/kickoff returners in this years draft. I dont doubt that he could make a contribution as a RB, but I wonder if he wasnt drafted as a returner to replace Antonio Brown who will be starting as a WR this season.

That could mean one of two things. He gets one of the slots that we generally safe for project players who excel on ST's and we carry an extra RB .....or Batch loses a little ground due to Raineys versatility as a returner.

So......technically....I didnt answer your question at all.

Chidi29
05-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Rainey might be slotted primarily as a STer....at least this year.

He was widely considered to be one of the best punt/kickoff returners in this years draft. I dont doubt that he could make a contribution as a RB, but I wonder if he wasnt drafted as a returner to replace Antonio Brown who will be starting as a WR this season.

That could mean one of two things. He gets one of the slots that we generally safe for project players who excel on ST's and we carry an extra RB .....or Batch loses a little ground due to Raineys versatility as a returner.

So......technically....I didnt answer your question at all.

And the team loses a roster spot if Johnson is a true FB and we keep 3 TEs like we normally do (Miller, Pope, Paulson to start year and then see what happens when Saunders comes back from suspension).

86WARD
05-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Kind of but not really. The third QB rule adds that roster spot for them to do that and not suffer a "lost" roster spot...

Chidi29
05-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Kind of but not really. The third QB rule adds that roster spot for them to do that and not suffer a "lost" roster spot...

But compared to last year, there will be one less spot. Who knows if a RB will lose out or if it'll be another position but someone will. And the backfield is crowded already with Johnson permantely joining that cas.

86WARD
05-25-2012, 04:17 PM
meh...it'll be the weakest special teams player. not like it hasn't been done in the past...with less roster spots. No worries.

TMC
05-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Our TEs will be Miller, Pope, and Saunders. I would be pretty shocked if someone else emerged to get ahead of those three. How they fill the extra roster spot in the first 4 weeks is a mystery.

As for DJ at fullback.....good luck with that. If you cannot hit a guy in space from the TE spot, it does not get easier from the FB spot.

Chidi29
05-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Our TEs will be Miller, Pope, and Saunders. I would be pretty shocked if someone else emerged to get ahead of those three. How they fill the extra roster spot in the first 4 weeks is a mystery.

As for DJ at fullback.....good luck with that. If you cannot hit a guy in space from the TE spot, it does not get easier from the FB spot.

My guess is that Paulson will be up the first four weeks and then get moved to the PS when Saunders' suspension is over.

steelreserve
05-26-2012, 04:13 AM
And the team loses a roster spot if Johnson is a true FB and we keep 3 TEs like we normally do (Miller, Pope, Paulson to start year and then see what happens when Saunders comes back from suspension).

What, it's not like this doesn't happen anyway. We wasted a roster spot on Carey Davis from 2007-09, and wasted another roster spot on Matt Spaeth from 2007-10. So on balance, we're coming out way ahead.

ShutDown24
05-26-2012, 07:42 AM
I'll be interested to see if this encompasses a number change for Johnson. I feel very fortunate to have him as a lead blocker on this roster, he is severely underrated.