PDA

View Full Version : Steelers take drastic measures to turn over O-line, protect Big Ben

polamalubeast
05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
By Len Pasquarelli

With quarterback Ben Roethlisberger now 30, and the team's most valuable player sacked an average of 43.5 times over the past six seasons -- including 40 or more sacks in all but one of those campaigns, and coming off an ankle injury last year -- Pittsburgh has drastically retooled its blocking unit.

read more

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19103521/steelers-take-drastic-measures-to-turn-over-oline-protect-big-ben

ALLD
05-21-2012, 12:21 PM
We had one of the worst lines in the league over the last 3 seasons. Took a coordinator change and injuries to address the problem properly.

polamalubeast
05-21-2012, 12:26 PM
We had one of the worst lines in the league over the last 3 seasons. Took a coordinator change and injuries to address the problem properly.

5 seasons!(since 2007)

Count Steeler
05-21-2012, 12:29 PM

They have been addressing the problem for a good 3 years now. Injuries have held them back from performing better in the last 3 years.

The Duke
05-21-2012, 02:23 PM
5 seasons!(since 2007)

even in 06 with Hartings and Faneca it was bad

polamalubeast
05-21-2012, 02:33 PM
even in 06 with Hartings and Faneca it was bad

At least, in 2006, the o-line was good for the run

Parker had his best season of his career in 2006.

ALLD
05-21-2012, 05:52 PM
We won the SB in 08', so even if it was bad on paper, it was still good enough. But after that OL stunk like a skunk on a pile of feces.

sgtrobo
05-21-2012, 06:54 PM
the line in 08 was not "bad on paper", it was "bad on paper" and even worse on the field.

almost lost us the Super Bowl. We darn sure didn't win BECAUSE of the OL, and we almost lost becuse of it. It's not bad enough taking a penalty in the end zone causing a safety, Kemo took a darn penalty right off the bat of The Drive, putting us in an even more difficult position. of course, Ben waved his magic wand and it just added 5 yards to The Drive (and legend).

I do wonder how much Arians had to do with the OL being so horrid, as far as personnel decisions are concerned. I do remember him being quoted as saying, "we don't want to give up our advantage in speed by blocking too much". I also notice that 2 things that all of Steelers Nation seemed to be clamoring for, namely moving Colon to OG and getting rid of Kemo, happened almost immediately after the Steelers fired him.

polamalubeast
05-21-2012, 06:59 PM
the line in 08 was not "bad on paper", it was "bad on paper" and even worse on the field.

almost lost us the Super Bowl. We darn sure didn't win BECAUSE of the OL, and we almost lost becuse of it. It's not bad enough taking a penalty in the end zone causing a safety, Kemo took a darn penalty right off the bat of The Drive, putting us in an even more difficult position. of course, Ben waved his magic wand and it just added 5 yards to The Drive (and legend).

True

1:03 and 3:30 of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gs5IARvyZg

ALLD
05-21-2012, 07:05 PM
James Harrison's "Immaculate Interception" kind of offset the bad OL on the stat sheet for that game. That's why he got the big contract, deservedly so. Now when they franchaised Starks and gave Colon a large contract, those things did not make sense to many observers. I think picking up Haley was a great fit and the draft also seems to be very logical. At least there is a method rather that just writing off portions of the team such as OL, CBs and STs over the last three seasons which left the Steelers with gaping holes of vulnerability. We lost #7 to the Packers because of it.

SteelGhost
05-21-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm very happy they finally took those measures :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-21-2012, 08:54 PM

I do wonder how much Arians had to do with the OL being so horrid, as far as personnel decisions are concerned. I do remember him being quoted as saying, "we don't want to give up our advantage in speed by blocking too much". I also notice that 2 things that all of Steelers Nation seemed to be clamoring for, namely moving Colon to OG and getting rid of Kemo, happened almost immediately after the Steelers fired him.

Very True. If you think of that season and especially the playoff run, there were big plays on defense and special teams that made the difference...not the production of the offense behind that less than average O line.

- San Diego, Santonio Holmes kick return for TD was big. - Baltimore, it was Polamalu's pick 6 that sealed it. - Super Bowl, Harrison's TD was big and gave the chance to have that closing drive.

I still think Ben gets sacked 35-40 times this year if he plays the entire season. The sacks are more a product of his play and longer downfield passing plays than the O line woes.

Boomerang
05-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Hopefully we can see Ben taking less hits and staying in top shape

sgtrobo
05-22-2012, 11:37 AM
I still think Ben gets sacked 35-40 times this year if he plays the entire season. The sacks are more a product of his play and longer downfield passing plays than the O line woes.

Gonzo, to a point I agree with you, but I think that he takes less than that this season, because I'm confident the routes our WRs run will have more options available to him, rather than 3 and 4 all going 15+ yards downfield.

I do think he takes more sacks than "normal", but I also think he creates more plays by holding onto the ball longer than "normal" as well, so it's tough to fault him too much.

zulater
05-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Very True. If you think of that season and especially the playoff run, there were big plays on defense and special teams that made the difference...not the production of the offense behind that less than average O line.

- San Diego, Santonio Holmes kick return for TD was big. - Baltimore, it was Polamalu's pick 6 that sealed it. - Super Bowl, Harrison's TD was big and gave the chance to have that closing drive.

If I'm Haley I set a pre season goal/challenge to the entire offense to keep that number under 30. Tie it to a team party or something, if Herr Goodell's new policies will allow it.

sgtrobo
05-22-2012, 05:12 PM
haha...put Ben on a pitch count!

"ok Ben, you get hit 9 times, you're sitting, we're putting Charlie in"

:D

Chidi29
05-22-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't think there were any drastic measures. Drastic measures would have been going out and ponying up $40 million for Carl Nicks on the free agent market.

You never know what you're going to get in the draft. It was luck that DeCastro fell to us. If Adams didn't have his character issues, who knows where he winds up. We could have easily walked away without an offensive lineman in the first two rounds. The BPA fell into place for us and those guys just happened to be offensive lineman.

zulater
06-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Sean Kugler wants to keep Marucs Gilbert at right tackle and not have to go to him in the middle of training camp and tell him he’s now a left tackle. That will depend on two things: If rookie Mike Adams can show immediately that he belongs at left tackle and if not, then if Max Starks is ready and available by then. If neither of those work, then Gilbert will play left tackle and a reason they put him there at times this spring.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116679-ed-no-hope-for-steelers

GBMelBlount
06-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Gonzo, to a point I agree with you, but I think that he takes less than that this season, because I'm confident the routes our WRs run will have more options available to him, rather than 3 and 4 all going 15+ yards downfield.

I do think he takes more sacks than "normal", but I also think he creates more plays by holding onto the ball longer than "normal" as well, so it's tough to fault him too much.

Agreed. With the increased emphasis on shorter routes and utilizing backs in the passing game coupled with the improved line and less predictability less than 30 is quite possible imo.

Haley will be under a lot of scrutiny this year and greatly reducing Ben's sacks is one measurable he is likely hoping to hang his hat on....

oneforthetoe
06-11-2012, 09:19 AM
haha...put Ben on a pitch count!

"ok Ben, you get hit 9 times, you're sitting, we're putting Charlie in"

:D

Yes, but then Ben would have to go in on the next play after Charlie breaks his collar bone handing the ball to Redman.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Agreed. With the increased emphasis on shorter routes and utilizing backs in the passing game coupled with the improved line and less predictability less than 30 is quite possible imo.

Haley will be under a lot of scrutiny this year and greatly reducing Ben's sacks is one measurable he is likely hoping to hang his hat on....

The scrutiny will come from the fans, not the ownership. I think Ben can still get sacked 40 times and if the Steelers win an AFC North and 1st round bye at least, the year will be deemed a success.

Now, I hope they can keep him clean, but I think Ben will be Ben and get sacked playing some sandlot football when the play breaks down.

ALLD
06-11-2012, 02:24 PM
At the end of the year they will take the difference in sacks and use it to divide by the increased number of points to come up with some quotient where the less number of sacks equals and increased number of points/sack.

beSteelmyheart
06-11-2012, 08:36 PM
By Len Pasquarelli

With quarterback Ben Roethlisberger now 30, and the team's most valuable player sacked an average of 43.5 times over the past six seasons -- including 40 or more sacks in all but one of those campaigns, and coming off an ankle injury last year -- Pittsburgh has drastically retooled its blocking unit.

It's about damned time.
I'm looking forward to this coming season in a different way & can't wait to see what Haley will dish up. If Ben does have "issues" with him he might want to shut up, man up & move on. (kind of like what we have to do in real life?)

steeldawg
06-11-2012, 09:08 PM
I guess if you consider drafting o linemen drastic measures.

GBMelBlount
06-11-2012, 09:29 PM
The scrutiny will come from the fans, not the ownership. I think Ben can still get sacked 40 times and if the Steelers win an AFC North and 1st round bye at least, the year will be deemed a success.

Now, I hope they can keep him clean, but I think Ben will be Ben and get sacked playing some sandlot football when the play breaks down.

Ben passes to the running backs more = less sacks
Receivers running shorter routes = less sacks
Offense less predictable = less sacks
More running plays = less sacks
Better offensive line = less sacks
Ben is Ben = Oh shit....:chuckle: