PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace likely to miss Steelers' coming workouts

Count Steeler
05-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace continues a stalemate with his bosses over a 2012 contract this week as organized team activities begin. Wallace won't be taking part in the workouts unless he and the franchise come to terms.

The Steelers also will hit the field without their top two offensive line prospects, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. Guard David DeCastro and tackle Mike Adams will be absent for reasons different from those keep Wallace away—both continue in classes at their respective schools.

Read more @ http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-05-20/mike-wallace-contract-steelers-pittsburgh-ota-dave-decastro-mike-adams

polamalubeast
05-20-2012, 08:42 PM
no surprise....

And it would be important that Wallace understands that he is not Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald ...

steelreserve
05-20-2012, 08:54 PM
This is the point at which it starts to cross the line from "guy who is just trying to get the best deal for himself like everyone would" to "lazy bum/asshole diva."

Steeltreal
05-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Boycott the Young Money Crew. You wanna get paid don't be a 3rd round pick!

Psycho Ward 86
05-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Boycott the Young Money Crew. You wanna get paid don't be a 3rd round pick!

i know this is a joke, but definitely not the way to look at it lol

X-Terminator
05-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Old news. This was predicted back in March when this whole thing jumped off, and he certainly isn't alone. It's not a boycott so much as he doesn't want to take the chance of getting hurt before training camp, when the negotiations will really start heating up. But you know, we still have heard next to nothing from Wallace himself about his contract situation, and he still has about a month to sign his current tender. We'll see what he does at that point.

Edman
05-20-2012, 09:43 PM
He's only hurting himself here.

The best way to get a fanbase and organization to turn on you is a contract dispute. Hines didn't get away with it, and he's ten times the reciever Wallace is.

The Steelers will not overpay for Deep Routes and disappearing acts.

fansince'76
05-20-2012, 09:45 PM
With a brand new offense being installed, he's not doing anything to help his situation. And as already mentioned, he's nowhere near being worth Fitz/Megatron money.

steeldawg
05-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Wallace is going to get a long term deal, and if not he has to play this year and next year we could even put the franchise tag on him. steelers really have control of his contract for the next 2 years, wallace knows this and thats the reason for this mini holdout, its really all he can do.

Chidi29
05-21-2012, 12:14 AM
He'll be back by June/July 15th, whatever the date is. I'm pretty sure I've heard both. Otherwise, we slash his salary to just over 500K. He's not stupid.

More non-story news about Mike Wallace this offseason.

smokin3000gt
05-21-2012, 12:45 AM
I used to like the kid and was happy he's a part of our organization but I am starting to get tired of him. He should take a look at some of the other divas in the league and see how their career ended (abruptly and without a team to call home). Don't be a fool, Mikey! It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to play football professionally but to play under the leadership of the Steelers is an entirely different honor! Don't fuck it up!!!

Chidi29
05-21-2012, 12:02 PM
I used to like the kid and was happy he's a part of our organization but I am starting to get tired of him. He should take a look at some of the other divas in the league and see how their career ended (abruptly and without a team to call home). Don't be a fool, Mikey! It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to play football professionally but to play under the leadership of the Steelers is an entirely different honor! Don't fuck it up!!!

Which is why if a person is lucky enough to be considered one of the better at his position, he should look to cash in. Because the window of that opportunity is very small.

86WARD
05-21-2012, 04:34 PM
How many stories need to be written about the same topic and an obvious one at that?!?

steeldawg
05-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Its really a non story I mean what does the guy really holdout for a month of the offseason, who cares let him lodge his protest, and then have another big year, i dont understand all the animosity towards him.

smokin3000gt
05-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Which is why if a person is lucky enough to be considered one of the better at his position, he should look to cash in. Because the window of that opportunity is very small.

I never said he should work for free but he does want to be paid WAY more then he has proven himself to be worth IMO. Besides that, we get it Mikey! You're un-happy. You want big money and won't be happy until you get it. You don't want to play for Pittsburgh unless they sign over the cash but the bottom line is the FO has all the cards in their hands and MW will end up playing for Pittsburgh for the next couple years at least (if that's what the FO wants to do) so suck it up, stop kicking dirt around, and get out there! With an entirely new offensive scheme, he needs to be out there as much as he can, not sulking in front of his big screen because he hasn't been offered Fitzgerald money yet.

Count Steeler
05-21-2012, 06:44 PM
He could be shooting himself in the foot by not learning the new terminology. He can't afford to have another so-so season. He started off great last year, but fell off the table in the second half. Not many teams will be offering him Fitz money with a ho hum season.

Besides, we have the combat catcher, Clemons ready to do battle. :chuckle: I love Tomlin.

ALLD
05-21-2012, 07:09 PM
He is playing the game he thinks he needs to play. I have discovered in almost 50 years on the planet as an American citizen, that you should find a way to go with the flow instead of fighting the system. As long as Wallace keeps his mouth shut everything will be all right when he returns from his extended vacation. I have yet to hear anybody say anything bad about the Rooneys since they were called "cheap" back in the 1980s. I don't think any family or corporation could have managed this team better in the modern era.

GBMelBlount
05-21-2012, 07:17 PM
As long as Wallace keeps his mouth shut everything will be all right when he returns from his extended vacation.

EXACTLY...

Also assuming he is a team player (and not a distraction) when he does return.

X-Terminator
05-21-2012, 08:16 PM
I never said he should work for free but he does want to be paid WAY more then he has proven himself to be worth IMO. Besides that, we get it Mikey! You're un-happy. You want big money and won't be happy until you get it. You don't want to play for Pittsburgh unless they sign over the cash but the bottom line is the FO has all the cards in their hands and MW will end up playing for Pittsburgh for the next couple years at least (if that's what the FO wants to do) so suck it up, stop kicking dirt around, and get out there! With an entirely new offensive scheme, he needs to be out there as much as he can, not sulking in front of his big screen because he hasn't been offered Fitzgerald money yet.

When someone can point out to me where he personally said he wanted "Fitzgerald money," then I'll get upset. Until then, I'll wait until Wallace actually speaks on the subject and not his agent or the media speculating on his "demands."

86WARD
05-21-2012, 08:21 PM
When someone can point out to me where he personally said he wanted "Fitzgerald money," then I'll get upset. Until then, I'll wait until Wallace actually speaks on the subject and not his agent or the media speculating on his "demands."

Every player wants Fitzgerald money. Every person on the planet would love Fitzgerald money. It's nothing surprising...even if those words came directly from Wallace's mouth, which no one heard or saw come from him.

Like X-Terminator said...I'll play the wait game...

polamalubeast
05-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Every player wants Fitzgerald money. Every person on the planet would love Fitzgerald money. It's nothing surprising...even if those words came directly from Wallace's mouth, which no one heard or saw come from him.

Like X-Terminator said...I'll play the wait game...

The problem is that Wallace has no chance to have a contract of 120 million.....If Wallace continues to believe he may have a contract of 120 million, it will be impossible for Wallace and the Steelers have agreed to a long term contract.

And it may be a risk for Wallace.

It is very possible that the steelers put the TAG on Wallace in 2013 and Wallace would lose lots of money if its performences are less good or that he has a serious injury ..

It can be a risk for Wallace if he not sign a long term contract before the start of the season.

Chidi29
05-21-2012, 08:35 PM
The problem is that Wallace has no chance to have a contract of 120 million.....If Wallace continues to believe he may have a contract of 120 million, it will be impossible for Wallace and the Steelers have agreed to a long term contract.

And it may be a risk for Wallace.

It is very possible that the steelers put the TAG on Wallace in 2013 and Wallace would lose lots of money if its performences are less good or that he has a serious injury ..

It can be a risk for Wallace if he not sign a long term contract before the start of the season.

Which is why he is "holding out" to try and accelerate that process.

tube517
05-21-2012, 08:47 PM

This ^^^
All this talk about Wallace being a diva. I have yet to see one interview or tweet about him actually saying that he wanted Fitzgerald money. None.

SteelGhost
05-21-2012, 08:49 PM
As Big Ben said in the depot article Wallace needs to get his FAIR market value....

Mike is a great WR, BUT IMHO his fair market value is not equal to Johnson or Fitz :noidea:

polamalubeast
05-21-2012, 08:58 PM
As Big Ben said in the depot article Wallace needs to get his FAIR market value....

Mike is a great WR, BUT IMHO his fair market value is not equal to Johnson or Fitz :noidea:

The contract of Vincent Jackson or DeSean Jackson would be a fair market for Wallace

SteelGhost
05-21-2012, 09:01 PM
The contract of Vincent Jackson or DeSean Jackson would be a fair market for Wallace

Yep, it sounds more realistic to me.

polamalubeast
05-21-2012, 09:01 PM
this is not a problem that he misses the OTA

Ray Rice, Drew Brees, Matt Forte, etc. will surely do the same thing that Wallace

steeldawg
05-22-2012, 08:37 AM
I just dont think wallace gets the credit he deserves, Its hard to find another reciever in the nfl who has had a better first 3 years to their career than wallace. The guys numbers are better than fitz, megatron,andre,TO, the list goes on. We are upset because this guy is sitting out of part of OTA's to protest his 2.7 million dollar contract, hes a diva? really? So If you look at where the top recievers where at at this stage in their career, and wallace has been better is it really that much of a stretch to give him a big deal?

zulater
05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
I just dont think wallace gets the credit he deserves, Its hard to find another reciever in the nfl who has had a better first 3 years to their career than wallace. The guys numbers are better than fitz, megatron,andre,TO, the list goes on. We are upset because this guy is sitting out of part of OTA's to protest his 2.7 million dollar contract, hes a diva? really? So If you look at where the top recievers where at at this stage in their career, and wallace has been better is it really that much of a stretch to give him a big deal?

His late season fall off last season worries me a bit when it comes to a rich long term contract. But it probably can mostly be explained away by Ben's high ankle sprain that really impaired his ability to throw deep the last 1/4 of the season.

This is just one of those things that has to play out. Hell, Hines Ward held out for a couple days with a valid contract didn't he? Anyway the Steelers know their business, and I think Wallace wants to stay a part of things, so I think this gets resolved before training camp begins. Yeah it sucks that he may miss all or most of our OTA's. But Wallace's role is to take the top off the defense, I really don't think that's too complicated no matter the terminology or system.

86WARD
05-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Bingo. Like Fortes contract, it should not be difficult to do a contract for Wallace. The market has pretty much been set for both of these guys...in our case Wallace.

fansince'76
05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
this is not a problem that he misses the OTA

Ray Rice, Drew Brees, Matt Forte, etc. will surely do the same thing that Wallace

Normally I would agree, but there is the matter of a brand new offense being implemented...

zulater
05-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Normally I would agree, but there is the matter of a brand new offense being implemented...

I think missing OTA's would be a lot more of a problem for a tight end or one of the other receivers, who's role is a bit more intricate than Wallace's. Don't get me wrong Wallace has developed to a point, that "One trick" is not all he's about. But plain and simple, with his speed, 85% of his job is to take the top off the defense. Which isn't exactly complicated in any language.

Animal Mother
05-22-2012, 11:21 AM
On the bright side, this offseason we are all discussing a non-story about Wallace holding out for more money instead of criminal allegations against a party-happy QB.

polamalubeast
05-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Mike Tomlin explains Mike Wallace absence as just part of the business side. Said ‪#Steelers‬ expect things to work out with him.

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/204970223336554498

polamalubeast
05-22-2012, 12:57 PM
According to A. Brown, Mike Wallace was at facility last week to pick up a Todd Haley version of the playbook.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/204993996328673281

polamalubeast
05-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Mike Tomlin said Mike Wallace absence is a short term misery. Says he visited with Wallace last week & had good communications

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/205003852825636864

sgtrobo
05-22-2012, 05:23 PM
i like the fact that he picked up his playbook. That tells me 2 things

1. He plans on playing for us
2. We plan on him playing for us. Otherwise, why would we let him see the playbook?

Count Steeler
05-22-2012, 05:32 PM
He doesn't have a choice now. He either plays for us or he sits.

I'm sure the Steelers have some question marks on him, but he thinks he deserves his pay day today. He really has only 3 options now. Sign before the 15th and make about 2 mill, sign after the 15th and make about 1/2 a mill, or sit the year and make nothing. I don't think the Steelers will go long term at the level of pay Wallace is asking for.

86WARD
05-22-2012, 07:50 PM
I just wanted to report that Mike Wallace hasn't shown up for OTA's and probably won't...in case anyone missed one of the 1000 other stories...

Chidi29
05-22-2012, 08:08 PM
I just wanted to report that Mike Wallace hasn't shown up for OTA's and probably won't...in case anyone missed one of the 1000 other stories...

And these OTAs aren't even the mandatory ones.

tube517
05-22-2012, 08:10 PM
In other news, Ben failed Rosetta Stone classes, Adams and Gilbert fight over the LT position and make peace by waking and baking and Todd Haley yelled at Baron Batch for blogging and tweeting during OTAs, which caused massive fines for Deebo.

polamalubeast
05-22-2012, 08:13 PM
In other news, Ben failed Rosetta Stone classes, Adams and Gilbert fight over the LT position and make peace by waking and baking and Todd Haley yelled at Baron Batch for blogging and tweeting during OTAs, which caused massive fines for Deebo.

And he has a big feud between Haley and Roethlisberger

X-Terminator
05-22-2012, 08:48 PM
And these OTAs aren't even the mandatory ones.

As evidenced by DeCastro and Adams not being there either.

Chidi29
05-22-2012, 08:50 PM
As evidenced by DeCastro and Adams not being there either.

Well they can't attend because of school rules prohibiting them from doing so. They have to graduate first.

polamalubeast
05-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Well they can't attend because of school rules prohibiting them from doing so. They have to graduate first.

same for Andrew Luck with the colts

Chidi29
05-22-2012, 08:56 PM

I should clarify myself. NCAA rules prohibit them.

fansince'76
05-22-2012, 09:22 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

86WARD
05-23-2012, 12:54 PM
BREAKING NEWS !!!!!!!!

He's still not in camp...

polamalubeast
05-24-2012, 02:44 PM
another good reason for Mike Wallace....

WR Hakeem Nicks fractured the 5th metatarsal of his right foot at @Giants OTA practice. Out approximately 12 weeks.

http://twitter.com/Giants/statuses/205742456086593537

The Duke
05-24-2012, 03:35 PM
another good reason for Mike Wallace....

WR Hakeem Nicks fractured the 5th metatarsal of his right foot at @Giants OTA practice. Out approximately 12 weeks.

http://twitter.com/Giants/statuses/205742456086593537

yikes!

when he sees this news it wouldn't surprise me if holding out beyong june 15 crosses his mind. It will never happen of course, but I'm sure he and his agent will be at least thinking of the possibility

steeldawg
05-24-2012, 05:30 PM
yikes!

when he sees this news it wouldn't surprise me if holding out beyong june 15 crosses his mind. It will never happen of course, but I'm sure he and his agent will be at least thinking of the possibility

ya he might think about it, but thats about it, he really cant afford to.