PDA

View Full Version : No respect for AFC North quarterbacks

polamalubeast
05-17-2012, 07:03 PM
The AFC North quarterbacks received no love from NFL.com, which ranked the division's passers fifth in the league.

This is a little low in my estimation. Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton and Brandon Weeden (or Colt McCoy) should at least be No. 4. Here's how NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah assessed the division:

It was a tough call putting this group behind the AFC West QBs. Big Ben has two Super Bowl rings and is arguably the best in the league at extending the play. Last season, Flacco was a dropped pass away from making his Super Bowl debut, while Dalton would've been the talk of the league if not for Cam Newton's amazing rookie year. I'm not the biggest Weeden fan, but he does have size and a live arm.

For those reasons, I would put the AFC North ahead of the AFC West, which ranked fourth despite featuring a banged-up Peyton Manning and a struggling Philip Rivers, along with two quarterbacks on the hot seat (Matt Cassel and Carson Palmer). Roethlisberger has to be considered better than Manning at this point. Flacco outplayed Tom Brady in the AFC title game, and Rivers threw the third-most interceptions in the NFL (20). And Dalton made more of an impact on his team as a rookie than veterans Cassel and Palmer did last season.

The AFC North falls short of No. 3 with the NFC East, which has Eli Manning, Tony Romo, Michael Vick and Robert Griffin III. Roethlisberger has as many rings as Manning, but it's difficult to argue that Flacco had a better season than Romo (31 touchdowns and 10 interceptions). The nod goes to the NFC East in Dalton-Vick and Weeden-RG3.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/48380/no-respect-for-afc-north-quarterbacks

st33lersguy
05-18-2012, 01:27 PM
This guy gives the AFC North quarterbacks too much credit. Big Ben does not get the credit he deserves but Flacco is overrated (the only reason he put up big numbers is because New England's defense is awful, all his other postseason performances have been putrid), Dalton is unproven, and Cleveland has nothing at QB.

BigNastyDefense
05-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Ben Roethlisberger - Best QB in the division by far. He's got three AFC titles, two Super Bowl rings, plays through injury, and is very clutch. Heads and shoulders above the rest.

Joe Flacco - Overrated by many, had the worst statistical season of his career last season. Main reason for losses to Jaguars and Seahawks last season. Can't seem to handle having the game plan revolving around him.

Andy Dalton - Rookie, but impressed me last season. He can be a consistent play maker and keep the Bengals in the playoff picture with his play.

Brandon Weeden/Colt McCoy - Weeden is a rookie, though older and more mature than any rookie first round pick, still a rookie. However, look at the success rookie QB's have had since 2004 when Roethlisberger helped the Steelers win 13 straight regular season games (and two post season games). But the Browns don't really have any weapons for him to throw to on offense outside of fellow rookie Trent Richardson. Colt McCoy just isn't going to cut it as a starter in today's NFL.

Edman
05-20-2012, 10:30 AM
The only AFC North QB's deserving of creditt are Ben and Dalton.

Dalton is going to be pain for years to come if he keeps progressing. The kid hasn't hit his ceiling yet.

Flacco already hit his ceiling. He's a decent QB, but nothing more. He either heaves up a rainbow to his recievers or dumps the ball off to Ray Rice. When he is the centerpiece of the Ravens gameplan on offense and limit Rice's touches, their offense stinks to high heaven. That's not what I'm looking for when I want a QB in today's league. He came close? So did Kordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell. Close only counts in horseshoes. Baltimore has done a great job hiding Bert with Rice, but you can only do so much with an average, inconsistent QB. Flacco doesn't make the team around him better, it's the other way around.

McCoy would make a good backup and Weeden is a question mark.

sgtrobo
05-20-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm not even sure Dalton deserves that much credit. "huck it up to AJ" is not that tough. Ben's the only true franchise QB in the AFC North.
Dalton will be good as long as AJ Green is healthy. If he goes down, forget it.

fansince'76
05-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Is it time for training camp yet? :zzz:

Count Steeler
05-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Is it time for training camp yet? :zzz:

It's like watching paint dry.

A watched pot never boils.

Yes, it is the off season.