PDA

View Full Version : What about the defense?

Count Steeler
05-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Here's an oddity for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The fan base seems consumed with the offense this year. Sure there is reason, a new OC, the first and second round picks and a seventh rounder used on the offensive line, an extremely promising group of receivers, and a group of RBs, though they lack experience, have tremendous upside.

But what about the defense? There seems to be little mention of the situation at CB, a topic that consumed the fan base last year at this time. An obligatory pick in the third round for an ILB and a supposed gift in the fourth round for what seems to be the future nose tackle. It seems to me that the focus is definitely on the offensive side of the ball this year. I don't think I have heard the name of Troy outside of comparisons with Spence. Little noise out of Taylor, Harrison and Woodley. Clark made some news because of his rebuttal with that TV reporter. All in all, though, very quiet on the defensive side.

I don't know. It may just be me. Are we taking our defense for granted?

polamalubeast
05-16-2012, 07:45 PM
turnovers,turnovers,turnovers,turnovers,turnovers, turnovers,turnovers,turnovers,turnovers,

Count Steeler
05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
turnovers,turnovers,turnovers,turnovers,turnovers, turnovers,turnovers,turnovers,turnovers,

We definitely have to address that this year. 15 turnovers won't cut it again.

fansince'76
05-16-2012, 08:31 PM
We definitely have to address that this year. 15 turnovers won't cut it again.

Neither will making average (Flacco) to downright shitty (Tebow) QBs look like frigging All-Pros.

Count Steeler
05-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Neither will making average (Flacco) to downright shitty (Tebow) QBs look like frigging All-Pros.

For all the problems we had on defense last year, I am still amazed we finished number 1 overall.

fansince'76
05-16-2012, 08:41 PM
For all the problems we had on defense last year, I am still amazed we finished number 1 overall.

The 49ers had far and away the best defense in the league last year, IMO.

polamalubeast
05-16-2012, 08:42 PM

same for the ravens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJnwCzxv8Qs

Count Steeler
05-16-2012, 08:46 PM

On the field, it sure looked like it. I hope we get back to that swarming, gang tackling, punishing defense. I'm looking for Timmons to have a bounce back year. And of course, I hope we stay healthy.

sgtrobo
05-16-2012, 09:38 PM
the "#1" ranking is, as many have said, a misranking. Granted, it may be true that our yardage did <whatever> but that was not a Steelers defense.

pressure.

everything is predicated on pressure. If we don't get pressure, our defense doesn't function the way it needs to function. It'd be nice if we'd remove the reins on our 1st round draft pick bookends and let them pin their ears back now and again, rather than trying to neuter any type of pass rush from them

suitanim
05-17-2012, 05:25 AM
I think we will actually be upgraded at CB across from Ike. One of these kids is going to step up. I worry a little about ILB, but I'm going to trust the FO on this one. I also think they've adequately addressed the DL, too. Even if we slip a little on the D side, I think the OL upgrades will be more than enough to make the offense effective enough to cover any gap that may occur.

zulater
05-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Here's some interesting quotes from Dick LeBeau on our young corners in the newest print edition of Steelers Digest.

Curtis Brown.

"Curtis Brown excelled on special teams. ( earlier in the interview LeBeau had expounded on how special teams is a great proving ground for young players) He was a great gunner for us. He showed a willingness to compete. He stood out every week. He has speed and quickness. I'm looking forward to him stepping into that depth capacity."

Cortez Allen

"Allen played more from scrimmage for us and also did a good job on special teams. I like his length; he's a nice, tall, well conditioned athlete who to my observation at least to this point has the demeanor you're looking for in a defensive corner. Corners have to have a very short memory. It isn't all going to be good for them. This young man can handle adversity, has faced adversity, and has some good plays and some plays we are working on to get better.

In the final analysis he did a heck of a job against New England. He took their wonderful tight end and neutralized him. He couldn't get away from Allen. Allen also played very well in both Cincinnati games when they were putting the extra wide receivers out there with speed all over the field. He matched their speed and gave us a capable defensive plan."

Keenan Lewis

"Keenan was pretty much our third or fourth corner all through last year. He played in all third down situations. He played quite a bit of scrimmage football. We statistically led the NFL in passing yards yielded, percentage completed-- a lot of pluses in the pass defense side of our statistics.

Keenan already has proven he can do the job despite being a relatively inexperienced young man. We think the horizon is an upward thing for several of these men, and Keenan is one of them. "

zulater
05-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Am I wrong in thinking LeBeau's more enthused by Allen than Brown or Lewis?

The Duke
05-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Am I wrong in thinking LeBeau's more enthused by Allen than Brown or Lewis?

not surprised really

out of all three he definitely has the higher ceiling. I think Lewis starts this year, but 2013 and beyond it's probably Allen's job