PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers: Top 3 training camp battles.

TMC
05-16-2012, 06:05 AM
http://voices.yahoo.com/pittsburgh-steelers-three-training-camp-battles-to-11326228.html?cat=14

The free agency period is dwindling down and the NFL draft has passed. Most NFL teams have made the bulk of their moves although some will add players to cover injuries and to improve competition and roster depth. Teams will move into offseason training and the opening of many training camps will begin in late July. It is time to take a look at the top three position battles for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

LLT
05-16-2012, 07:50 AM
I would add RB as another interesting position to keep an eye on. Baron Batch seems to be the player that everything hinges on. If he doesnt win the 3rd down back position, he could be cut. If he does win a slot, then I can see them still keeping Rainey...and cutting big back John Clay.

TMC
05-16-2012, 08:59 AM
I would add RB as another interesting position to keep an eye on. Baron Batch seems to be the player that everything hinges on. If he doesnt win the 3rd down back position, he could be cut. If he does win a slot, then I can see them still keeping Rainey...and cutting big back John Clay.

I am probably in the minority here, but I think Batch will be the guy. He is just so versatile and elusive. I know Rainey is the new hotness, but Batch was tearing shit up before the injury. He was the talk of camp and the coaches were actually avoiding praising him too much to keep him grounded. IMO, when coaches are tempering the frenzy, something is there.

I think that you see Mendenhall go on the PUP list. That opens a roster spot for roughly half a season while they evaluate him. Then, you can carry Redman, Dwyer, Batch, Rainey, and someone else if desired. The decision on who gets cut comes when Mendy comes back. I just do not see the value in Clay yet. I just do not know if he is a true NFL caliber RB.

And, it needs to be said, we will likely carry 5 WRs this season, not 6 (unless someone blows up). So, they could go a little heavy at RB because of this, especially since Rainey is a return guy/WR/RB/where can we use his speed.

LLT
05-16-2012, 09:08 AM
I am probably in the minority here, but I think Batch will be the guy. He is just so versatile and elusive. I know Rainey is the new hotness, but Batch was tearing shit up before the injury. He was the talk of camp and the coaches were actually avoiding praising him too much to keep him grounded. IMO, when coaches are tempering the frenzy, something is there.

I think that you see Mendenhall go on the PUP list. That opens a roster spot for roughly half a season while they evaluate him. Then, you can carry Redman, Dwyer, Batch, Rainey, and someone else if desired. The decision on who gets cut comes when Mendy comes back. I just do not see the value in Clay yet. I just do not know if he is a true NFL caliber RB.

And, it needs to be said, we will likely carry 5 WRs this season, not 6 (unless someone blows up). So, they could go a little heavy at RB because of this, especially since Rainey is a return guy/WR/RB/where can we use his speed.

I actually agree with you on Batch. The thing is...not only does he possess all the things that everyone is high on Rainey about...but he is also a VERY good blocker. Also agree that Clay is the odd man out in that group even though a lot of people are going to want him on hte roster because of the "Big Back" mentality.

suitanim
05-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Nonsense! Doesn't the author read this board? Adams is a project and won't start for years...