PDA

View Full Version : Mike Adams needs to start as to not impede Marcus Gilbert’s development

stillers4me
05-15-2012, 07:40 AM
The Steelers drafted Marcus Gilbert last season to possibly be the future left tackle of the Pittsburgh Steelers. When the season started Gilbert was second string behind Jonathan Scott. The Steelers went with the veteran at Left Tackle. Gilbert was expected to be the swing tackle behind Scott and Colon.

Then Willie Colon went down with a season ending injury in game one against the Ravens. It forced Gilbert into the lineup to play Right Tackle. He played the entire season at Right Tackle and did not do a bad job. As the season went along Gilbert progressed and became a good right tackle. He seemed suited for the position.
Coming into the offseason though, the Steelers let Gilbert know that he should prepare to play Left Tackle next season. Willie Colon can not play the left side and god knows the Steelers will never put Jonathan Scott there ever again unless they have to. So Gilbert had to shift to that side. He played the position in college and is the best option we have at left tackle.

That was until we drafted Mike Adams. Adams is a prototypical sized left tackle. Adams is 6’7 and 325 pounds. He has long arms and can engulf a defender. Adams is what many teams salivate for when it comes to that type of player..............

Read more @ http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/mike_adams_needs_to_start_as_to_not_impede_marcus_ gilberts_development/10759715

Bluecoat96
05-15-2012, 07:42 AM
I think you may have put the wrong link up for this article.

s4m: Thanks...that's what happens when you have too many browsers open. :chuckle:

Count Steeler
05-15-2012, 07:47 AM
I think you may have put the wrong link up for this article.

Fixed

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-15-2012, 09:29 AM
That is one of the dumbest articles that I have seen in some time. So the Steelers need to start a rookie LT that was inconsistent at Ohio St, while suspended, not hitting the weight room and smoking weed........ on the blind side of Ben Roethlisberger??? The reason is so that their 2nd year LT prospect can develop better??

Come on Man!!??

43Hitman
05-15-2012, 09:40 AM
original story here: http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/05/10/mike-adams-needs-to-start-as-to-not-impede-marcus-gilberts-development/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+%28Bleed+Bl ack+and+Gold%29

suitanim
05-15-2012, 09:49 AM
I see what the guy is trying to say, but, on this team, you're NEVER going to just sit at one position on the OL anyway. What if Adams comes in and gets tons of reps at LT while Gilbert is at RT, and Adams fails to make the cut? Then he gets shifted over to LT anyway, and Adams starts over at RT, while Gilbert has to adjust back again.

Best to let these guys move around a little and see where their natural aptitude lands them, then to try and force the issue and set things in stone.

stillers4me
05-15-2012, 09:50 AM
That is one of the dumbest articles that I have seen in some time. So the Steelers need to start a rookie LT that was inconsistent at Ohio St, while suspended, not hitting the weight room and smoking weed........ on the blind side of Ben Roethlisberger??? The reason is so that their 2nd year LT prospect can develop better??

Come on Man!!??

Please feel free to write your own blog article. We have a forum for that here at SU.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Please feel free to write your own blog article. We have a forum for that here at SU.

Thanks for the info. I generally believe that bloggers have reduced the quality of information that is produced in the media, so would not participate in that.

Anybody with a computer can state their unqualified and unsubstantiated opinion on the internet and pass it off as news and reliable reporting. If I wanted medical information, then I would consult a physician and not a blogger. If I wanted Offensive Line development information, I would check out www.thecoolclinic.com (http://www.thecoolclinic.com) and not some football fan with a blog.

ShutDown24
05-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Come on Man!!??

But he played in the big ten!!! :chuckle:

tube517
05-15-2012, 03:25 PM

Come on Man!!??

http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/icecubechristuckerfriday.jpg :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-15-2012, 08:07 PM
But he played in the big ten!!! :chuckle:

Yup, he was All Big Ten like another former Buckeye OT great Kirk Barton, so it just goes to show you that he is an automatic success. Cant Miss. Start him at LT from day one.

GBMelBlount
05-15-2012, 10:14 PM

Come on Man!!??

Besides inconsistency, suspensions, weed and not hitting the weight room I can't think of one good reason not to give him a shot at LT....hater.

suitanim
05-16-2012, 05:17 AM
Jesus...way to mischaracterize what I said AGAIN.

I said he played against top competition and was in the Big Ten, not the SWAC or the MAC or some shitty low-level of competition. The statement was much more about how he wasn't going to be another Jermaine Stephens. The salient point is, Mike Adams is NOT a project. First RD OT talent and project are practically mutually exclusive terms nowadays.

suitanim
05-16-2012, 05:20 AM
Besides inconsistency, suspensions, weed and not hitting the weight room I can't think of one good reason not to give him a shot at LT....hater.

By that logic,we should never have drafted him, and should probably cut him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-16-2012, 08:10 AM

Other than size, agility, arm length and some indication that he looks like he can be a great LT. :) I just dont think we need to rush to plug him into LT spot on day 1. Heck, let him have a stab at RT first. I definately think Adams will see time in the preseason with the 2nd team unit at LT and maybe slide over to RT with the 3rd team.

suitanim
05-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Other than size, agility, arm length and some indication that he looks like he can be a great LT. :) I just dont think we need to rush to plug him into LT spot on day 1. Heck, let him have a stab at RT first. I definately think Adams will see time in the preseason with the 2nd team unit at LT and maybe slide over to RT with the 3rd team.

And therein lies the difference. Every year there are a couple kids playing FCS ball or even lower who LOOK like they have what it takes, and are combine heroes, then get into camp and just can't cut it because they've never had to compete against top-notch talent. Not only has Adams benefited from playing in the Big Ten, he's also had the distinct advantage of playing for a team that plays some very good OOC competition.

A little more on that. He played as a true freshman against USC. He missed some time the following year due to injury, but still played against Oregon in the Rose Bowl. He held JJ Watts in check as Jr., also played against Miami (FL) and Arkansas that season. He graded out as Tressel's best OL that year, and he played in all 13 games. If you're going to look at his potential, '10 is the year that best represents what he can do.

As I said, the ONLY reason I downgraded him was his malfeasance at the combine. Otherwise he was top of the first, bottom of the second, and only there because of his inconsistency.

GBMelBlount
05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
By that logic,we should never have drafted him, and should probably cut him.

Honestly, I do not think there is a person on this board who is happier with the choice of Adams as the 2nd round pick.

Just a bit of joking amongst friends.

If Adams head is in the right place the sky is the limit for him...and for the offense.

Texasteel
05-16-2012, 11:15 AM
I would love to see him step in at LT, but that is not likely to happen. Besides, I think Gilbert has earned his shot at LT this year. He has worked very hard and has shown that he could be one of the better OTs in the game, at lest on of the best we have had lately. If Gilbert slides to the left side and holds onto the job, I have no problem with seeing Adams playing RT. If Adams takes the LT spot away, I have no problem seeing Gilbert on the right side. I can tell you one thing, this is a lot better discussion than we were having last year when most of us were thinking,,,,,, Who the hell can we put there?

The Duke
05-16-2012, 11:55 AM
I would love to see him step in at LT, but that is not likely to happen. Besides, I think Gilbert has earned his shot at LT this year. He has worked very hard and has shown that he could be one of the better OTs in the game, at lest on of the best we have had lately. If Gilbert slides to the left side and holds onto the job, I have no problem with seeing Adams playing RT. If Adams takes the LT spot away, I have no problem seeing Gilbert on the right side. I can tell you one thing, this is a lot better discussion than we were having last year when most of us were thinking,,,,,, Who the hell can we put there?

Yup

I still can't believe we were heading into week one with Jonathan Scott as our starting LT last year :doh:

suitanim
05-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Yup

I still can't believe we were heading into week one with Jonathan Scott as our starting LT last year :doh:

That's what I was thinking...Jonathon Scott, or Mike Adams, Jonathon Scott, or Mike Adams....hmmmmm....which we would rather have....?

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-16-2012, 05:39 PM
And therein lies the difference. Every year there are a couple kids playing FCS ball or even lower who LOOK like they have what it takes, and are combine heroes, then get into camp and just can't cut it because they've never had to compete against top-notch talent. Not only has Adams benefited from playing in the Big Ten, he's also had the distinct advantage of playing for a team that plays some very good OOC competition.

A little more on that. He played as a true freshman against USC. He missed some time the following year due to injury, but still played against Oregon in the Rose Bowl. He held JJ Watts in check as Jr., also played against Miami (FL) and Arkansas that season. He graded out as Tressel's best OL that year, and he played in all 13 games. If you're going to look at his potential, '10 is the year that best represents what he can do.

As I said, the ONLY reason I downgraded him was his malfeasance at the combine. Otherwise he was top of the first, bottom of the second, and only there because of his inconsistency.

Yeah, I agree with a lot of this. Adams has all the physicial tools to play LT. I just think he doesnt consistently put them together and a lot of others that evaluated him thought so too. Its why I am not expecting him to come in on day 1 and lock down the LT spot like some fans that just watch his hilights do. I know that you are likely a realist in this view and have seen the inconsistencies in OSU games you watched.

Its why I think that playing RT for a season, refining his technique with Kugler and getting stronger for a year will ultimately help his development. Its easier for a guy to make mistakes and learn when its not on the QB's blind side....especially with Ben at QB. Remember how bad Oliver Ross was at RT when Ben was a rookie?? But he scrambled away from pressure when Ross would miss his assignment.......Adams will be a big upgrade over that IMO.