PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Goodbye to Crosby, Malkin or Staal?

zulater
05-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Their greatest strength has become their biggest question: How do the Penguins keep three elite centers, each headed for his third NHL contract?

Short answer: They probably don’t.

Sidney Crosby. Evgeni Malkin. Jordan Staal. You have come to know them and love them, but you had to figure a breakup was possible someday.

And, yes, Crosby belongs in the discussion, at least in theory. Moving him is a notion that never would have arisen if not for his concussion crisis. It’s now a fair topic.

This coming summer, though complicated by an expiring collective bargaining agreement, could change everything. To deny the strong possibility of one of The Big Three leaving is to deny reality.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero won’t dodge the issue. He knows better than anyone just how real it is.

“We have these three center icemen, which is an unbelievable thing,” Shero said. “But in a salary cap system, when guys get into their second contracts, it’s difficult, let alone their third. How’s that going to shake itself out?”

Staal and Crosby have a year left on their deals. Malkin has two. The Penguins can open negotiations with Crosby and Staal on July 1.

Sure, they could lavish all three with mega deals, but at what price to the rest of their roster? And even then, Staal would have to want to be here. Still just 23, he is the key. If he is willing to maintain a support role and take less than the open market might offer, beautiful. Problem solved.

But why would he do that?

Would you?[/I]

More likely, Crosby signs a monster deal. Which is hardly a bad thing, so long as he stays healthy. A full summer of workouts should have him primed for next season.

That would leave Malkin or Staal. No easy choice, but I’m keeping Staal. The puzzle makes more sense that way. Staal is the perfect No. 2 center, a massive defensive presence and a rapidly emerging offensive threat.

In terms of a potential role, Staal complements Crosby, whereas Malkin replicates him. The Penguins have two of the same in Crosby and Malkin: two franchise centerpieces, two No. 1 centers, two guys who like to run the power play from the same spot.

It’s a “problem” every team would take, of course, but in the Penguins’ unique conundrum, it’s probably time to pick a lead horse.

Any route they take will be fraught with risk.

My guess is the Penguins will move Staal, viewing Malkin as an insurance policy for Crosby. But if I’m Lemieux, co-owner Ron Burkle and Shero, and I’m dead set on rolling the dice with Sid, I sign Staal and fortify my roster with the return for Malkin. His value — likely league MVP with two years left on his deal — is sky-high.

It’s the best answer to an impossible question.

http://triblive.com/sports/1640021-74/staal-crosby-malkin-penguins-starkey-center-goodbye-question-shero-third

ShutDown24
05-13-2012, 08:29 AM
I disagree with the points he makes. According to Starkey, we have two number one centers and one number two center. Why on earth would you trade the better player? In what world does that make sense? I understand what he's trying to say, but to me, the idea is fundamentally flawed. You should never trade the better player just because he is better.

zulater
05-13-2012, 08:41 AM
I disagree with the points he makes. According to Starkey, we have two number one centers and one number two centers. Why on earth would you trade the better player? In what world does that make sense? I understand what he's trying to say, but to me, the idea is fundamentally flawed. You should never trade the better player just because he is better.

The premise is that Crosby and Malkin don't compliment each other. It's like having two alpha males in the same wolf pack. Staal is the ideal second banana. A bigger, stronger, modern day Ron Francis.

Sooner rather than later the Pens are going to have to make a choice and cash in one of these guys. It most likely will be Staal traded. But if I were Shero I'd roll the dice and trade Malkin or Crosby, dependent on which would bring me back the best return.

zulater
05-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Staal sweepstakes could heat up (http://triblive.com/sports/1293414-85/staal-penguins-million-season-contract-malkin-shero-deal-summer-center)

Myriad reasons exist for Jordan Staal’s name continuing to surface in trade speculation, and postseason comments by himself and the organization did nothing to squash such rumors.

When asked about the Penguins’ “three-center model” following a first-round playoff exit against Philadelphia, general manager Ray Shero said, “It has worked in the past. Whether it works in the future remains to be seen.”

Staal, whose contract expires next summer, recently was asked whether he, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin could enjoy long-term happiness in Pittsburgh.

“Good question,” he said.

Shero told the Tribune-Review in December that signing Crosby, who has one more year on his current deal, to a new contract was the organization’s “top priority” this summer.

Malkin’s deal has two years remaining, and the Penguins intend to give him a new deal. History says Malkin, 25, will remain with the Penguins. Only three multiple-time NHL scoring champions — Wayne Gretzky, Jaromir Jagr and Phil Esposito — have been traded, and all were older than Malkin when they were dealt. Malkin won his second Art Ross Trophy this season.

Then there’s the economic reality: The Penguins have $40 million locked up in 10 players for the 2013-14 season. That figure doesn’t include Crosby, who probably will make about $10 million that season.

As the current salary cap stands — and should a new CBA be passed this summer, the cap number of $64 million could decrease — the Penguins would have more than a dozen players, including Staal, to sign but only about $14 million to spend.

On the open market, Staal could command at least $7 million per season, those in his camp say.

Other teams, notably Philadelphia, have abandoned one-time plans in favor of constructing teams built around younger, cheaper players. The Flyers’ plan worked, at least for one series, as Shero and the Penguins saw up close last month.

Letting Staal walk when his contract expires — Nashville, where Shero once was assistant general manager, is facing that situation with star defenseman Ryan Suter — is not something the Penguins want. Receiving a heavy bounty in return for Staal is more to their liking.

zulater
05-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Reports have surfaced from Raleigh, N.C., and Edmonton, Alberta, that the Hurricanes and Oilers, respectively, are interested in Staal. Trade rumors likely will only intensify as summer nears.

Here are the most logical trade partners for the Penguins:

1. CAROLINA HURRICANES

Staal’s brother, Eric, plays in Raleigh. Also, consider the following: The Hurricanes could use a dominant No. 2 center, they’re $20 million under the salary cap for next season and have plenty to offer the Penguins.

Don’t discount the fact that Jordan Staal doesn’t particularly enjoy media circuses. He’s a quiet kid who likes to play hockey. He is getting married this summer, and raising a family in the same neighborhood as his brother’s family is appealing. His youngest brother, Jared, is also in Carolina’s system.

Raleigh makes sense on many levels. The Hurricanes know it, and so does Staal.

WHAT THE HURRICANES HAVE TO OFFER

Carolina likely will make a strong run for Staal this summer and dangle center Brandon Sutter as part of a deal. He’s a strong, young center who would look good behind Crosby and Malkin. The Hurricanes also boast the No. 8 pick in the upcoming draft and a number of strong prospects.

2. TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

It has become known that Toronto general manager Brian Burke is a big Jordan Staal fan. In fact, every GM in hockey is a big Staal fan, but Burke is said to particularly covet him.

Burke and Shero are friends and have conducted business together. Think they would like Staal, a Thunder Bay native, in Ontario?

WHAT THE MAPLE LEAFS HAVE TO OFFER

Center Nazem Kadri is the most talented player in Toronto’s system, and he thrived late in the season with the Maple Leafs. He’s a pure goal scorer. Also, defenseman Luke Schenn is the kind of physical, stay-at-home defenseman the Penguins badly need. The Maple Leafs are willing to deal Schenn.

3. EDMONTON OILERS

No team, not even the Penguins, has hit the lottery jackpot like Edmonton. The Oilers are about to pick first in the NHL Draft for the third consecutive year. They will take winger Nail Yakupov, yet another highly skilled winger.

The Oilers are young and talented. They need a player accomplished enough to teach them how to win but young enough to be a leader for a long time.

WHAT THE OILERS HAVE TO OFFER

It’s pretty simple: The Oilers don’t want to deal any of their young guns, but multiple reports out of Edmonton suggest that the Oilers would consider dealing the top overall pick for Staal. In January, former Penguins coach Scott Bowman said Yakupov — whom he scouted in December — reminded him of former NHL star Pavel Bure.

4. MINNESOTA WILD

Minnesota is a no-name squad looking for an identity and players who bring credibility.

Enter Staal.

He would be the perfect leader for this team, and there are Penguins connections everywhere here. Remember Mike Yeo, the former Penguins assistant who now is the Wild head coach? Chuck Fletcher, Shero’s assistant and now current Wild GM?

Bonus for Staal: St. Paul, Minn., is a six-hour drive from Thunder Bay, making it the closest NHL city to Staal’s hometown.

WHAT THE WILD HAVE TO OFFER

Right wing Cal Clutterbuck is the kind of player Shero and Penguins coach Dan Bylsma would love. He would be an upgrade over Tyler Kennedy on the third line. Minnesota also likely would be willing to include right wing Devin Setoguchi, who could score 30 goals on Crosby’s line, in such a deal. Minnesota also owns the No. 7 pick in this year’s draft.

http://triblive.com/sports/1293414-85/staal-penguins-million-season-contract-malkin-shero-deal-summer-center

ALLD
05-13-2012, 08:52 AM
It was reports that Limas Sweed would tryout for the Pens in order to revive his fading athletic career.

ShutDown24
05-13-2012, 09:03 AM
The premise is that Crosby and Malkin don't compliment each other. It's like having two alpha males in the same wolf pack. Staal is the ideal second banana. A bigger, stronger, modern day Ron Francis.

Sooner rather than later the Pens are going to have to make a choice and cash in one of these guys. It most likely will be Staal traded. But if I were Shero I'd roll the dice and trade Malkin or Crosby, dependent on which would bring me back the best return.

I understand the idea, I just disagree with it. The only time Crosby and Malkin directly interfere with one another is on the PP. Other than that, why wouldn't you want two lines to have a franchise guy at center?

X-Terminator
05-13-2012, 12:38 PM
They will trade Staal, discussion over. Neither Malkin nor Crosby are going anywhere, so can we PLEASE stop speculating on trading one of them? For crying out loud, it's getting ridiculous now.

steelerdude15
05-13-2012, 01:52 PM
What the fuck, seriously? Can we please stop with this bullshit.

Count Steeler
05-13-2012, 04:47 PM
The only problem with the Pens is that Fleury had a terrible series. The main reason that the 4 teams that remain are still standing, is goaltending. The Pens proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can score. Their problem was a goalie that went cold.

It's unfortunate but not insurmountable. I would say see if you can pickup a goalie and a defensemen via draft or free agency. It would be a mistake to break up this trio. Besides, with the cap and the contracts the players are getting, the Pens will be able to keep the 3.

Yeah, during the series, I espoused getting rid of one of the 2 main guys, but after a cooling off period, and more reasoned thought, it is the defense/goaltending that needs to be addressed.

zulater
05-13-2012, 06:59 PM
They will trade Staal, discussion over. Neither Malkin nor Crosby are going anywhere, so can we PLEASE stop speculating on trading one of them? For crying out loud, it's getting ridiculous now.

Until such time as one of the 3 is traded? No.

zulater
05-13-2012, 07:15 PM
I don't see why people get so offended by the suggestion the Pen's should consider trading Malkin or Crosby? By suggesting they should trade one or the other shouldn't be seen as a personal affront to either. It's merely suggesting an alternative viewpoint on the usage of assets.

This much I know. Staal is a perfect number 2 center. And in my opinion having two number one centers is less desirable than having a clearly defined and able number one and two.

X-Terminator
05-13-2012, 08:05 PM
I don't see why people get so offended by the suggestion the Pen's should consider trading Malkin or Crosby? By suggesting they should trade one or the other shouldn't be seen as a personal affront to either. It's merely suggesting an alternative viewpoint on the usage of assets.

This much I know. Staal is a perfect number 2 center. And in my opinion having two number one centers is less desirable than having a clearly defined and able number one and two.

We've been over this several times already. Having 2 #1 centers is not as horrible as you make it sound, it creates matchup nightmares for other teams and they will never, ever, EVER get fair return for either of them. You will weaken the team if you get rid of either Malkin or Crosby and keep Staal, especially if Crosby's concussion issues return. Staal cannot carry a team by himself. Malkin can. Sid can, if Malkin goes down. All the more reason to keep both. If they trade Staal to the Oilers for their #1 pick (Nail Yakupov), I would be thrilled. I wouldn't even mind the Carolina deal, because I like Brandon Sutter's game on the 3rd line and they would get a pretty good player with the #8 pick.

If the Pens ever traded either Malkin or Crosby, I would strongly consider giving up my season tickets in protest. I know someone would scoop them right up, but I'd be that upset, and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in that. And Mario is not that stupid.

steelerdude15
05-13-2012, 09:03 PM
We've been over this several times already. Having 2 #1 centers is not as horrible as you make it sound, it creates matchup nightmares for other teams and they will never, ever, EVER get fair return for either of them. You will weaken the team if you get rid of either Malkin or Crosby and keep Staal, especially if Crosby's concussion issues return. Staal cannot carry a team by himself. Malkin can. Sid can, if Malkin goes down. All the more reason to keep both. If they trade Staal to the Oilers for their #1 pick (Nail Yakupov), I would be thrilled. I wouldn't even mind the Carolina deal, because I like Brandon Sutter's game on the 3rd line and they would get a pretty good player with the #8 pick.

If the Pens ever traded either Malkin or Crosby, I would strongly consider giving up my season tickets in protest. I know someone would scoop them right up, but I'd be that upset, and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in that. And Mario is not that stupid.

This is all.

SCSTILLER
06-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Good bye Staal, welcome Sutter and the #8 pick!

ShutDown24
06-23-2012, 08:12 AM
I'll miss Staal but I think we all saw this coming.

X-Terminator
06-23-2012, 08:18 AM
There was just no way they were going to keep all 3. They made the right choice and got a solid haul in return (but Ray...more defensemen? Really??). And if they end up landing Parise and/or Suter, this will be a hell of an off-season. All that would be needed is to extend Geno next summer, which they absolutely will do, and this team will be set for many Cup runs down the road.

zulater
06-23-2012, 09:05 PM
If Staal would have signed the extension I wonder if they may have ended up trading Geno?

steelerdude15
06-24-2012, 11:33 PM
There was just no way they were going to keep all 3. They made the right choice and got a solid haul in return (but Ray...more defensemen? Really??). And if they end up landing Parise and/or Suter, this will be a hell of an off-season. All that would be needed is to extend Geno next summer, which they absolutely will do, and this team will be set for many Cup runs down the road.

How insane would that be?

X-Terminator
06-25-2012, 12:00 AM
If Staal would have signed the extension I wonder if they may have ended up trading Geno?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes, based on the length and cost of Staal's contract offer.

How insane would that be?

If they just land Parise, I would be thrilled. If they land both, Shero would get a mulligan from me for any decision he makes in the next 5 years. We have to hope Parise's close friendship with Crosby and Shero helping to draft Suter convinces them to come here. Crosby is already in Parise's ear.