PDA

View Full Version : Burress still best fit in Pittsburgh?

polamalubeast
05-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Plaxico Burress, Ryan Grant among best remaining free agents
By: Jason La Canfora | NFL Network

We tend to overblow the significance of the initial rush of free-agent signings. So often, the teams that make the biggest splash don't truly "win." And we certainly overlook the value of the latter stages of the process.

A year ago, the New England Patriots added Andre Carter and Brian Waters later in the process with little fanfare. The Baltimore Ravens did the same with Bryant McKinnie . Without the contributions of those players, I'm not sure New England would have reached the Super Bowl or Baltimore would've made it to the AFC Championship Game in Foxborough. A key, cheap free-agent signing can do much more than just bolster depth -- it can provide an important starter at a vital position of need.

And there are several intriguing players still on the street right now, eager for an opportunity to prove their worth. At this point, most clubs are focused on evaluating youth, holding rookie camps and assessing undrafted free agents. Some older players are left to sit around for a while and wait for a chance to get a job just before -- or even during -- training camp. Most of them are just fine with that at this stage of their career.

Some clubs are restricted by salary-cap issues and some are waiting for the inevitable rush of injuries that'll force them to turn to their emergency lists and begin making calls. I fully expect the phone to ring for most of the veterans in this list at some point. And frankly, given the health concerns with many of them, allowing more time for them to heal isn't a bad idea, anyway.

• WR Plaxico Burress : It didn't work out spectacularly with the Jets, but then again, everything imploded there. (Clearly there were deep-seeded locker room and chemistry issues.) Burress wasn't a problem there and getting better quarterback play in a more robust offense could bring out the best in him.

He remains a red-zone weapon, as evidenced by his eight touchdowns in 2011. The jump balls alone can be enough to win you a game or two. He should be better, I believe, having had a good period of time to re-adjust to NFL life after his prison stint. The Eagles are among several teams that could use a tall receiver, and Burress has made it clear he would love to play with Michael Vick . But I think there is a better opportunity at a place that Plaxico is pretty familiar with ...

Best fit: Pittsburgh Steelers. Yes, receiver isn't a glaring need right now. But Mike Wallace's contract situation could linger. And regardless, Burress makes perfect sense in certain packages. He knows everyone there -- having spent his first five professional seasons in Pittsburgh -- and the Steelers considered bringing him back a year ago, despite his checkered history. He remains on their radar now. Nothing is imminent, but with Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders only a year away from free agency, there might not be money for everyone. Burress could be an affordable stopgap guy for them, even if it's only in a role not much larger than the one Hines Ward served last season.

read more

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d828ff6e8/plaxico-burress-ryan-grant-among-best-remaining-free-agents/

ShutDown24
05-12-2012, 11:26 AM
If this was last year, I would have considered it. Now? I don't see room on the roster for him unless both Clemons and Rainey are awful in camp.

Count Steeler
05-12-2012, 11:39 AM
No thanks, move along. We have plenty of red zone targets or possible targets, among whom is Toney Clemons, the combat catcher.

HollywoodSteel
05-12-2012, 11:42 AM
If we didn't have Cotchery I'd say it would be worth getting him for vet min. But just like the case with Hines, you can't really have a #5 receiver who doesn't play special teams.

GBMelBlount
05-12-2012, 12:04 PM
8 touchdowns last season?

If everyone looks good in camp, great.

If not, we would be foolish not to give him a look imo.

Besides, we have had pretty good luck with players who have been shot. Look at Joey Porter. Granted he did not shoot himself in the ass but still..

stillers4me
05-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Besides, we have had pretty good luck with players who have been shot. Look at Joey Porter. Granted he did not shoot himself in the ass but still..

Good point. :lol:

Count Steeler
05-12-2012, 12:11 PM
His career is winding down. I'd rather give that spot to Clemons, younger, can probably play ST, and has a brighter future.

suitanim
05-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Ugh.

No.

Iron Steeler
05-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Nah. Why fill up a whole roster spot for some who is only affective near the endzone? There is still 80%coming of the field to be accounted for

st33lersguy
05-12-2012, 01:13 PM
If the issue at WR is looking for a replacement in case Wallace leaves, then Burress is not the answer. He is a short-term signing at a position that has no short-term need

steelreserve
05-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Only if someone gets injured in preseason. But Sweed isn't around anymore, so ...

Steeldude
05-12-2012, 02:40 PM
He never was and never will be a good fit for the Steelers. Why do people entertain this absurd idea? Average to poor hands, poor fundamentals, poor work ethic, head case and a high salary. Oh yeah, let's get him back

fansince'76
05-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Said it last year, and I'm saying it again - no thanks...

ALLD
05-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Put Burress in a Delorean, take it up to 88 MPH and go back five years, then maybe.

GBMelBlount
05-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Nah. Why fill up a whole roster spot for some who is only affective near the endzone? There is still 80%coming of the field to be accounted for

Perhaps because we were embarrassingly INEFFECTIVE near the end zone last year? :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
05-12-2012, 03:10 PM
If the issue at WR is looking for a replacement in case Wallace leaves, then Burress is not the answer. He is a short-term signing at a position that has no short-term need

If that is the issue then the question is WHO IS suitable?

Do you think it will be easy to find a suitable replacement for Wallace without breaking the bank?

I don't.

Count Steeler
05-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Put Burress in a Delorean, take it up to 88 MPH and go back five years, then maybe.

Before or after the gun shot?

86WARD
05-12-2012, 04:24 PM
If he wouldn't have opted for the upfront money, Burress would be under contract as a Steeler this year...some you win, some you lose...oh well. Short term money!

smokin3000gt
05-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Pittsburgh is rebuilding the team with new young guys, no room for someone we'll have to replace in a couple years. One thing I love about this team is they don't choose players to maybe get us one ring this year, they make decisions to keep us in the hunt for consecutive years,

steeldawg
05-12-2012, 06:08 PM
I like him While we have the talent is the time to give him a shot in case he doesnt workout.

Shoes
05-12-2012, 06:15 PM
He's a hemorrhoid .....no thanks!

BlacknGoldBabe
05-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Pass. He had his chance.

86WARD
05-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Pass. He had his chance.

Twice...

SteelGhost
05-12-2012, 09:48 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oSmneHSBf4Y/S-LqayyqvCI/AAAAAAAAAFA/RXCA_WS0H-M/s1600/Beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Steeldude
05-12-2012, 09:51 PM

I would rather go back further and draft Urlacher. Burress was a wasted pick

steelreserve
05-12-2012, 10:14 PM

I think if you did that, all you'd end up with is the same Burress, only with a DUI.

XxKnightxX
05-13-2012, 06:28 AM
He missed his chance. Now with a more younger competitive WR market and the return of Randy Moss, hes going to be begging for a job.......theres always Jacksonville though.

ShutDown24
05-13-2012, 06:59 AM
He missed his chance. Now with a more younger competitive WR market and the return of Randy Moss, hes going to be begging for a job.......theres always Jacksonville though.

Actually... Blackmon, Robinson and Burress wouldn't be a bad group for Gabbert. When he's under pressure he could just throw it up to any of them instead of taking a sack and have a good chance of completing the pass.

fansince'76
05-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Dixon being named to a list of "best remaining free agents" is kinda indicative of just how weak the FA crop is. Just saying.

GoSlash27
05-13-2012, 07:45 AM
He never was and never will be a good fit for the Steelers. Why do people entertain this absurd idea? Average to poor hands, poor fundamentals, poor work ethic, head case and a high salary. Oh yeah, let's get him back
^ 'Zackly. He was a poor fit then and he'd be an even worse fit now.