PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Raiders is a rivalry needing to be reborn

Count Steeler
05-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Steelers vs. Raiders

People talk about the Steelers vs. Cowboys, but it was the Raiders vs. Steelers which highlighted the 1970s. I mean, it got so contentious between the teams, Pittsburgh coach Chuck Noll was sued because he called Raiders DB George Atkinson part of the league's "criminal element." The rivalry also had underhanded shenanigans with the Steelers icing the Raiders sideline and one of the most memorable plays in NFL history -- the Immaculate Reception. And like the Cowboys-49ers rivalry, this had so many Hall of Famers on each side. The NFL would be a much better place if this game mattered again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82906938/article/steelers-vs-raiders-is-a-rivalry-needing-to-be-reborn?module=HP11_content_stream

Count Steeler
05-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Talk about the glory days of the Steelers and the NFL. Goodell may have banned those games if they were to be played today.

ALLD
05-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Raiders have done nothing since Rich Gannon was QB. They were also robbed by the Pats in what was historically the beginning of their run with the pussified "Tuck Rule".

BigNastyDefense
05-11-2012, 08:46 PM
The Oakland Raiders haven't been relevant to anything other than the top ten of the draft since 2002. For this to become a big rivalry again, the Raiders are going to have to start making the playoffs. They are going to have to start competing for AFC Championships. That's the only way this rivalry becomes anything more than something between just fans of the team.

The Steelers-Raiders in the 1970's were, IMHO, some of the best games ever played. These teams hated each other.

If those games would be played today, both defenses would be suspended due to B.S. rules put in place by Goodell.

silver & black
05-12-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm all for it! The Steelers/Raiders games of the 70's will never be equalled... or the like, ever seen again. I'm glad I was around to witness them.

I think with Al gone and McKenzie cleaning house and rebuilding the team, we will get to rekindle the best rivalry ever, in the near future. :jolly:

Count Steeler
05-12-2012, 11:49 AM
My best friend through the 70s was a Raiders' fan. Needless to say we had some good times go back and forth, debating the black & gold vs the black & silver. Still would like to replay the '76 playoff game when both Franco and Rocky were on the bench because of injuries.

Ice cleats, anyone? :chuckle:

steelreserve
05-12-2012, 02:32 PM
We can only play them once every three years, since we always finish at the top of the division and they always finish at the bottom.

polamalubeast
05-12-2012, 03:25 PM
I would like to see the Steelers-Raiders rivalry reborn

But two of the most painful losses of the steelers in the regular season in the last 10 years was against the raiders(2006 and 2009)

BlacknGoldBabe
05-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Ah yes, the days when real football was played. Head slaps, chop blocks and shoestring tackles.

Damn you Goodhell.