PDA

View Full Version : Why is Suisham still with the team?

polamalubeast
05-11-2012, 05:58 PM
I do not understand....Suisham makes me so nervous before every kick and it's not funny

I'm frustrated that he is still with the team......if at least he would have a serious competition during the training camp

SteelerFanInStl
05-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm really hoping that he's not still on the team when the season starts. We signed Ressel as a UDFA but I've watched him in college at Mizzou and I'm not confident in his abilities. More camp competition certainly wouldn't hurt.

X-Terminator
05-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Suisham is a UFA and is not on the roster.

Iron Steeler
05-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Why do we ignore this position every year?

Count Steeler
05-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Let's hope we don't need him nearly as much as last year. Still hope we improve the position though.

polamalubeast
05-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Suisham is a UFA and is not on the roster.

Suisham is with the steelers

Aug 1 2011
Signd a 4 year $6.3 million contract with Pittsburgh (PIT)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/shaun-suisham/

X-Terminator
05-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Hmmm, I was under the impression he signed a one-year deal. That's a horrible contract for a guy who can't be counted on to make a 40-yard FG. But at the same time, they brought in 2 kickers to compete with him for the job, so they aren't just handing it to him. He's going to have to earn it.

ALLD
05-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Maybe James Harrison should try and kick some FGs?

polamalubeast
05-11-2012, 07:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vztrvkvPFHU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhovxwaZ4VY

painful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-5jmEqiBCY

comment from redskins fan

Shaun Suisham ruins yet another game for the redskins with this missed 23-yard field goal that would have put the Redskins on top of the 11-0 saints 33-23 with only 2 minutes left in the game. But he misses it, and allows the saints to get a touchdown and tie the game 30-30 and then win 33-30 in overtime. SHAUN SUISHAM IS CRAP!!!! the redskins seriously need a new kicker. the saints should be 11-1. Please rate, subscribe, and comment if you want Suisham off the team!

The Duke
05-11-2012, 07:52 PM
if there were better options I'm sure they would be on the roster

I don't trust him either, but it is what it is. Let's just hope some young guy emerges

BigNastyDefense
05-11-2012, 08:06 PM
There are going to be two guys in camp, however I don't have enough faith in the other two guys to win the job. However if they show that they are more reliable, I get the feeling that they will make the team over him.

However, at the moment there are no better options in free agency. So unless one of the kids can win it, we will have another season of Suisham. And I don't think that it's so much ignoring the position as much as it is a lack of reliable kickers making it to free agency. The Steelers aren't going to overpay for a kicker in FA, and the really good ones are often franchised.

86WARD
05-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Longwell is a better option...he lacksa little in the kickoff area, so what...teams start at the 35...not a big deal.

SteelGhost
05-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Why Suisham is still on the team ?

Because we're going to score more TD's instead of FG's with the new OC :chuckle:

polamalubeast
05-11-2012, 08:24 PM

Because we're going to score more TD's instead of FG's with the new OC :chuckle:

Even if the Packers scores a lot of TD, Mason Crosby is very useful for the Green Bay Packers

SteelGhost
05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Even if the Packers scores a lot of TD, Mason Crosby is very useful for the Green Bay Packers

Yep, a good team needs a good K, I forgot to put this smiley :sarcasm:

Chidi29
05-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Suisham isn't that bad. He's not a top 5 kicker but let's not forget how difficult it is to kick in Heinz Field in December. He was a clutch 3-3 for us in the playoffs against Denver.

fansince'76
05-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Why do we ignore this position every year?

We had a solid PK for quite a few years until Reed lost it in 2010.

polamalubeast
05-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Suisham isn't that bad. He's not a top 5 kicker but let's not forget how difficult it is to kick in Heinz Field in December. He was a clutch 3-3 for us in the playoffs against Denver.

He is horrible on the road also....Jeff Reed was very good at home from 2002 to 2009

In the field goal over 30 yards, Suisham was 13/21, which is horrible...In the field goal over 40 yards, Suisham was 7/13 and this stats show that he deserves to be out of the league

Two of his three field goal succeeds against Denver was lower than 40 yards

If you miss a field goal below of 40 yards , you deserve to lose your job, especially if you're not capable of making the long field goal as Suisham

Jeff Redd rarely missed field goal below of 40 yards before the 2010 season

Chidi29
05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
He is horrible on the road also....Jeff Reed was very good at home from 2002 to 2009

In the field goal over 30 yards, Suisham was 13/21, which is horrible...In the field goal over 40 yards, Suisham was 7/13 and this stats show that he deserves to be out of the league

Two of his three field goal succeeds against Denver was lower than 40 yards

If you miss a field goal below of 40 yards , you deserve to lose your job, especially if you're not capable of making the long field goal as Suisham

Jeff Redd rarely missed field goal below of 40 yards before the 2010 season

I never called him Jeff Reed in his prime. Like I said, it's tough to kick at Heinz Field and tough to find guys who can handle that task for an extended period of time.

On the road last year, he was 5/7 from 40 and 1-1 from 50. Compared to 1/4 from 40 and 0/1 from 50 at home.

tube517
05-11-2012, 10:27 PM

Because we're going to score more TD's instead of FG's with the new OC and new OL :chuckle:

Just a slight addition to your statement. :chuckle:

polamalubeast
05-11-2012, 10:41 PM
I never called him Jeff Reed in his prime. Like I said, it's tough to kick at Heinz Field and tough to find guys who can handle that task for an extended period of time.

On the road last year, he was 5/7 from 40 and 1-1 from 50. Compared to 1/4 from 40 and 0/1 from 50 at home.

If you are a bad kicker, it is certain that it is difficult to succeed a field goal Pittsburgh , but when you're a good kicker, it's not impossible to have success in pittsburgh!

And by the way, Suisham is a choker, no matter in Pittsburgh, Dallas or Washington

Chidi29
05-11-2012, 10:45 PM
If you are a bad kicker, it is certain that it is difficult to succeed a field goal Pittsburgh , but when you're a good kicker, it's not impossible to have success in pittsburgh!

And by the way, Suisham is a choker, no matter in Pittsburgh, Dallas or Washington

We've seen top kickers from opposing teams come in and have bad games.

And let's not forget he missed just one field goal last year. So we have had one "good" and one "bad". Let's give it another year and see what kind of kicker he really is.

polamalubeast
05-11-2012, 10:59 PM
We've seen top kickers from opposing teams come in and have bad games.

And let's not forget he missed just one field goal last year. So we have had one "good" and one "bad". Let's give it another year and see what kind of kicker he really is.

it's bad season in 2011 was not a surprise

I was not happy when the Steelers had signed before the 2011 season, since he was a bad kicker in the clutch situation in Washington and Dallas

We must not forget his missed field goal against the Ravens in the playoffs and his missed field goal against Green Bay

Suisham also almost missed a extra point in super bowl after the TD of Mendenhall

Chidi29
05-11-2012, 11:10 PM
it's bad season in 2011 was not a surprise

I was not happy when the Steelers had signed before the 2011 season, since he was a bad kicker in the clutch situation in Washington and Dallas

We must not forget his missed field goal against the Ravens in the playoffs and his missed field goal against Green Bay

Suisham also almost missed a extra point in super bowl after the TD of Mendenhall

And again, I go back to his 3-3 of kicks against Denver. Yes, they weren't that difficult, but it's still a high pressured situation. Especially his 37 yarder in the 4th that made it a seven point deficit.

polamalubeast
05-11-2012, 11:18 PM
it would have been unacceptable if he would have missed a field goal of 37 yards.A field goal of 37 yards, you're supposed to do

If it would have been a field goal of 48 yards as Adam Vinnateri had made ​​in Super Bowl against the Rams, it would have been clutch

Count Steeler
05-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Suisham becomes unreliable outside 40 yards. Hopefully we have addressed our offense enough this year that we won't need 50 yard field goals very frequently. If some of the other invitees impress, great. If not, Sushi will have to do.

Chidi29
05-11-2012, 11:32 PM
it would have been unacceptable if he would have missed a field goal of 37 yards.A field goal of 37 yards, you're supposed to do

If it would have been a field goal of 48 yards as Adam Vinnateri had made ​​in Super Bowl against the Rams, it would have been clutch

37 is certainly not a gimmie by any means and given the situation, it certainly was clutch. Not as clutch as a game winner in a Super Bowl but still clutch.

polamalubeast
05-12-2012, 12:16 AM
For me, a kick below of 40 yards is a gimmie....especially in the nfl

Chidi29
05-12-2012, 12:19 AM
For me, a kick below of 40 yards is a gimmie....especially in the nfl

I can't equate a 19 yarder and a 37 yarder as the same thing. Especially not in a playoff game.

X-Terminator
05-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Anything from 35 yards and in is a gimme. 35-40 yards should be at least 90% successful. 40-49 yards should be 70% successful overall, including kicks at Heinz. Over 50 yards is a total crapshoot, and even the best from that distance only make about 4 in 10 attempts. That's just my opinion, YMMV.

polamalubeast
05-12-2012, 12:32 AM
I can't equate a 19 yarder and a 37 yarder as the same thing. Especially not in a playoff game.

You must be at least 90% or 95% in the 37-yard field goal....This is the NFL, not college football

Steeldude
05-12-2012, 04:43 AM
You must be at least 90% or 95% in the 37-yard field goal....This is the NFL, not college football

Gary Andersen was 87.5% from 30-39 yards

Adam Viniteri was 84.1 from 30 - 39 yards

Shaun Suisham is 80% from 30 - 39 yards

A lot of it depends on the conditions you are kicking in.

That being said, those stats aren't to say Suisham is good or bad. I am all for an upgrade. Years ago I wanted the Steelers to keep Rob Bironas. Maybe the free agent kicker we picked up is a gem.

Count Steeler
05-12-2012, 06:32 AM
I also noticed last 2 seasons that Sushi is much better from the right hash than the left hash. He seems to naturally tail to the left, so kicking from the right is a natural kick. Kicking from the left hash, he has to "push" it to the right, less natural kicking motion.

They should line him up center to right hash.

86WARD
05-12-2012, 07:29 AM
He's not good. He's average to below average at best...just because he's an"couple percentage points" less than the next guy, doesn't make him "almost good.". Those "percentage points" are actually a lot when it comes to kickers. Are there better options out there? Probably. But you don't know unless you bring them in to try them out. It's hard to just sit here and say there are it there aren't with the kicker position.

Bottom line is - This is definitely an area of the team that should be in full fledged competition mode!

ShutDown24
05-12-2012, 07:58 AM
I don't have an issue with Suisham. A lot of teams have problems at the position. It seems like there are a lot of kickers who have really strong legs, but no accuracy. I'd rather have Suisham than one of those guys. I agree that bringing competition in is a good idea, but a lot of you guys don't seem satisfied by the competition that is brought in. Chances are it will be a couple rookies in camp and maybe a guy like Rayner, but it's not going to get much better than that.

86WARD
05-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Gimme all the rookies you can...there will be one better than Suisham or Rayner out there some where...lol.

NCSteeler
05-12-2012, 05:57 PM
If his percentage improved this past season it's only because the coaches didn't trust him to send him in the game

BlacknGoldBabe
05-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Bottom line is - This is definitely an area of the team that should be in full fledged competition mode!

^^This.

7willBheaven
05-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Well that UDFA rookie Ressel or whatever they brought in was cut already so yeah...so all they have as of now is Suisham...I'm sure someone else (or 2) will be brought in soon.

SteelGhost
05-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Just a slight addition to your statement. :chuckle:

Thanks for the addition tube :thumbsup:

wyn50
05-17-2012, 06:14 PM
hopefully hrapmann can compete.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/steelers-sign-kicker-danny-hrapmann/

Count Steeler
05-17-2012, 06:19 PM
hopefully hrapmann can compete.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/steelers-sign-kicker-danny-hrapmann/

Hope he's a good one. Too easy to go to crapmann.