PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Run Amuck Over Steelers Roethlisberger

stillers4me
05-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Ben Roethlisberger is a newlywed college graduate who has not had a brush with the law in two years. He has taken steps to improve his public image by being more accessible to the media and more accommodating to the fans. Those are all good things in my opinion and show signs of growth, maturity, and stability. But to some members of the Pittsburgh media, it will never be enough. The newest and most ghastly crime Roethlisberger has committed is having opinions of his own. Oh…. My….God….. Ben. You can’t do that, son. Opinion havin’ is the job of trained professionals on the radio, television, newspapers, and internet. You keep your smart mouth shut, play football, and most importantly, leave the talking to us.

Apparently Ben Roethlisberger thinks it’s going to take a bit to learn Todd Haley’s offensive. Ben told Rich Eisen that understanding Scruffy Todd’s playbook is more difficult than the paper Scholarly Ben had to write on Tibet and that he made need a Rosetta Stone to help him figure it out. Damn, boy. The Secret Service will be requesting a sit down with you for that kind of talk! Ben didn’t say he was refusing to learn the plays. Ben is not asking for a trade to Indianapolis to play for his old coordinator and friend, Bruce Arians. Ben has not said he dislikes Todd Haley...............

Read more @ http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/10/opinions-run-amuck-over-rothlishberger-statesments/

stillers4me
05-10-2012, 05:53 PM
To some in the Pittsburgh, and even national, media if Ben Roethlisberger walked on water the headline would read: “Ben Can’t Swim”.

Ain't that the truth.

I will be using this quote alot.

siss
05-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Don't you know that if you don't trash him and don't believe all the negative stuff even though its alll second runors you are just making excuses for a "despicable" person?

X-Terminator
05-10-2012, 08:33 PM
I believe I mentioned this in another thread, so I'm way ahead of the good folks at nicepickcowher.com. I'm not exactly sure what the fans and the media want from Ben, and really...the guy has busted his hump trying to improve his image over the past 2 years. Will he get credit for it? No. Why? Simple...Steelers fans and their enablers in the media are never, ever happy unless they are bitching about something or someone. It's what they do best. So I guess now Ben has to go back to being "aloof Ben" and not talk to anyone, which if I remember correctly he also got chastised and criticized for? What is it, Nation, that you want from him?

Devilsdancefloor
05-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Ben is in a no win situation, but i agree with XT no matter how good the team is the nation will dwell on the teams weakness or perceived weakness

Steeltreal
05-10-2012, 09:59 PM
What is it, Nation, that you want from him?

Throw it !

Shoes
05-10-2012, 10:01 PM
I believe I mentioned this in another thread, so I'm way ahead of the good folks at nicepickcowher.com. I'm not exactly sure what the fans and the media want from Ben, and really...the guy has busted his hump trying to improve his image over the past 2 years. Will he get credit for it? No. Why? Simple...Steelers fans and their enablers in the media are never, ever happy unless they are bitching about something or someone. It's what they do best. So I guess now Ben has to go back to being "aloof Ben" and not talk to anyone, which if I remember correctly he also got chastised and criticized for? What is it, Nation, that you want from him?

goodell destroys football on the field......the cheesy sports media and soap opera fans do it off the field. We need a few losing seasons to thin the herd.

tube517
05-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Is it the regular season yet?

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-10-2012, 11:00 PM
I think that blogger at nicepickcowher reads this forum for his material.

fansince'76
05-11-2012, 12:15 AM

Considering that he pretty much hit the nail on the head, I don't think that would necessarily be a bad thing, seeing how off base a majority of blogs are...

GBMelBlount
05-11-2012, 05:40 AM
I think Ben just needs to keep doing what he is doing....play his heart out and be a good man.

That is all that he can really do and hopefully time will care of the rest.

suitanim
05-11-2012, 05:54 AM
This is getting out of hand. Ben is trying, but he's not a great superdy-duper guy. I don't HATE him or anything, but I suspect after 5 minutes of having a beer with him, I'd decide that I'd rather sit with someone else.

My argument is more about how, to some, Ben DOES walk on water, and they refuse to take off the rose-colored glasses and see the facts for what they are...it's hypocritical to blast players from other teams who have committed far fewer sins then turn around and give your own players passes just because of the name on the front of the jersey, and it makes no sense to kill the messenger for delivering a message that you don't like, even though it's almost certainly true.

siss
05-11-2012, 06:19 AM
This is getting out of hand. Ben is trying, but he's not a great superdy-duper guy. I don't HATE him or anything, but I suspect after 5 minutes of having a beer with him, I'd decide that I'd rather sit with someone else.

My argument is more about how, to some, Ben DOES walk on water, and they refuse to take off the rose-colored glasses and see the facts for what they are...it's hypocritical to blast players from other teams who have committed far fewer sins then turn around and give your own players passes just because of the name on the front of the jersey, and it makes no sense to kill the messenger for delivering a message that you don't like, even though it's almost certainly true.

So what would you like to happen to to Ben for his sins? Should he confess them to you? Beg for your forgiveness? Should he stand in the middle of Heinz field in a Pillory for a game?

I think what you are missing is that some of us (I am included since you called me a lemming) is that I don't buy the BS from third hand stories and anonymous source stories. Im not saying Ben is an angel and I am not saying every bad thing you hear about him isn't true. I am not that naive, but I also think its ridiculous to hold it against him two years later. At some point, you really need to move on and like get something else to bitch about. GET OVER IT! And don't ever say again that you support Ben. You don't, If he puts a toe out of line, you are the first to point it out.

GoSlash27
05-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Apologies for being that guy, but it's spelled 'amok'. Carry on...

suitanim
05-11-2012, 08:47 AM
So what would you like to happen to to Ben for his sins? Should he confess them to you? Beg for your forgiveness? Should he stand in the middle of Heinz field in a Pillory for a game?

I think what you are missing is that some of us (I am included since you called me a lemming) is that I don't buy the BS from third hand stories and anonymous source stories. Im not saying Ben is an angel and I am not saying every bad thing you hear about him isn't true. I am not that naive, but I also think its ridiculous to hold it against him two years later. At some point, you really need to move on and like get something else to bitch about. GET OVER IT! And don't ever say again that you support Ben. You don't, If he puts a toe out of line, you are the first to point it out.

Of course I support Ben! I support Mendenhall, too, and I also think he's a borderline retard with all his conspiracy theories and other nonsense. The difference is I can separate the player from the person. I root these guys on on the field, but think they are the farthest thing possible from role models off it. Is he as bad as OJ Simpson, or even LT? No. But I still don't think he's a quality person, and while he's obviously taking some steps, people usually don't change that much.

the odds of getting any kind of unbiased or fair and even opinion out of you, regardless of WHAT BR does is nil. But I DO think that you are probably just as guilty of giving your own players too much benefit of the doubt whilst also being the first to pile on players from other teams whose transgressions are often less. It's human nature...now, if this devolves into another irrelevant ad hom attack on me, that's fine, but, again, it doesn't change any of the facts.

It's hard for people to step back and be a little objective. People also don't like to be challenged in their beliefs. I'm cool with that...fire away at me, I can take it. But I don't see how it's relevant.

siss
05-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I think both you and Suitainim are jerks.

suitanim
05-11-2012, 10:37 AM
I think both you and Suitainim are jerks.

Of COURSE you do. I'm glad you do...you're just the kind of person I WANT thinking I'm a jerk. I'M a jerk, and Ben is great. LOL...

fansince'76
05-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Please don't get personal, folks.

siss
05-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Of COURSE you do. I'm glad you do...you're just the kind of person I WANT thinking I'm a jerk. I'M a jerk, and Ben is great. LOL...
I have never said that I didn't think Ben was an entirely innocent person in his mess. He did make the mess. I just think he cleaned it up and moved on with his life. And again, I need more proof of his behavior than my cousins best friend sister who knows a girl that worked with a girl that flirted with Ben once. So excuse me if Im not on the hate wagon every time someone says Ben was less than a gentlemen. Or less than accommodating to a rude fan who bothers him while he is eating dinner. Except that you haven't gotten much of that lately, because everyone and there brother has been taking pictures with Ben and sending it in to his web site.

And for the record, I'm kinda that way with everyone. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have been disappointed but I also have some good friends who I trust with my life and even my sons life.

And 76' it turned personal when he called me a lemming. That is so not what I am.

86WARD
05-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Who cares what they do off the field unless it affects their play on the field. That's all I care about is their on field play...lol.

NCSteeler
05-11-2012, 11:38 AM
cue.. Jeremy
Ben seems like exactly the kind of guy I would want To hang out with

BlacknGoldBabe
05-11-2012, 12:02 PM
OK, so Ben screwed up. He ate crow for it, bowed and scraped and paid his due.

However, he doesn't walk on water - none of us can. I think it was a bad idea for him to play SF with the playoffs coming up. He made the decision and, obviously, had to live with it.

I've always said that there's a reason it's called the past. . .it's IN THE PAST. Skip it, forget it and drop it. Move on!

So now that I've had my say, let's look forward to the new season.

SteelMember
05-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I think it's a positive thing that Ben is challenged with learning the new playbook. I'm sure he will find many of the same "plays" in there. Just using different terminology to describe them. So, there's the Rosetta stone comment. He knows it's going to take some work, but he's obviously willing. About a hundred million reasons why he's pretty much obligated now, and the potential of many more for the future.
This may even help with the perception that he has coasted for the past few seasons. Similar to the point that he was never considered a "film guy", but since his career has evolved, he has done a lot more. He's had to. That's a big contributor to how you get better. He sounds, to me, that he is aware of that fact.
Being a professional is more than just collecting the big checks... "and all of that". :chuckle:

steelmann
05-11-2012, 05:48 PM
I have never said that I didn't think Ben was an entirely innocent person in his mess. He did make the mess. I just think he cleaned it up and moved on with his life. And again, I need more proof of his behavior than my cousins best friend sister who knows a girl that worked with a girl that flirted with Ben once. So excuse me if Im not on the hate wagon every time someone says Ben was less than a gentlemen. Or less than accommodating to a rude fan who bothers him while he is eating dinner. Except that you haven't gotten much of that lately, because everyone and there brother has been taking pictures with Ben and sending it in to his web site.

And for the record, I'm kinda that way with everyone. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have been disappointed but I also have some good friends who I trust with my life and even my sons life.

And 76' it turned personal when he called me a lemming. That is so not what I am.

Someone should tell me what a lemming is........

Count Steeler
05-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Someone should tell me what a lemming is........

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lemming

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-11-2012, 05:59 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lemming

Thanks for the link. got distracted and went to Road Kill T-shirts instead...........

Steeldude
05-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Is Suitanim being hypocritically negative again? :rofl:

As for lemmings, the MB, like so many others, is full of them. For the most part, a lemming is someone who agrees with everything the Steelers' organization does/says. If you disagree with the lemming he will become very angry and label you as a hater.

fansince'76
05-12-2012, 01:41 AM
As for lemmings, the MB, like so many others, is full of them. For the most part, a lemming is someone who agrees with everything the Steelers' organization does/says. If you disagree with the lemming he will become very angry and label you as a hater.

This is of course in direct contrast to the equally healthy number of Chicken Littles across the Web who tend to confuse their nonstop bitching about every facet of the team with objectivity. If you disagree with the Chicken Little, he will become very angry and label you as a Kool Aid-drinking cheerleader.

XxKnightxX
05-12-2012, 02:55 AM
http://i.qkme.me/35xtx4.jpg
Share the wealth man, I got some bills to pay :chuckle:

X-Terminator
05-12-2012, 08:58 AM
This is of course in direct contrast to the equally healthy number of Chicken Littles across the Web who tend to confuse their nonstop bitching about every facet of the team with objectivity. If you disagree with the Chicken Little, he will become very angry and label you as a Kool Aid-drinking cheerleader.

And from what I've seen, there are more Chicken Littles than lemmings, and there certainly are more on this board. Anyone who has ever read or posted in a game day thread knows exactly what I'm talking about. It's one thing to be critical. It's entirely another to constantly bitch and moan and never find anything good to say about the team.

O'Malley
05-12-2012, 10:12 AM

I quit going to his site! He is a joke.. All I want from Ben is for him to be Ben and win..

silver & black
05-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Is Suitanim being hypocritically negative again? :rofl:

It goes with the territory on any message board/forum. Being a critical, thinking fan that can see the flawes in one's own team and players, never goes over well on any fan forum.

stillers4me
05-12-2012, 11:36 AM
You are all missing the big picture here.

Ben actually knows what the Rosetta Stone is and applied the analogy correctly in a complete sentence.

:chuckle:

That Ashley...I bet she's quite the study buddy.

NCSteeler
05-12-2012, 05:48 PM
You are all missing the big picture here.

Ben actually knows what the Rosetta Stone is and applied the analogy correctly in a complete sentence.

:chuckle:

That Ashley...I bet she's quite the study buddy.

I couldn't get any studying done with her around. :lust: